• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

Is it just me or was the Titanfall 2 thing way overblown. I mean it's not really as cool as people were making it out to be. People were like "Theres this one level where you hit a button and wowwww omg soo gooooooood like mmmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmm good"

It really wasn't anything that special.

Besides Gemini Heroes Reborn already did it and did it better

justjim89

Does the combat feel more like Skyrim or like an MMO?

I don't really play MMO's but it definitely feels similar to Skyrim, but a bit less flaily and spastic. Plus it has a proper dodge mechanic, which is nice. It's not like Souls-level or anything, but I prefer it to standard TES combat.

It's also nice to have new landmasses to explore, since I've probably touched every inch of Skyrim in my 300 or so hours with it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Moment of the year is learning the steenee evolves to tsareena by learning stomp.

It's like "Man, TPC, you really stopped giving a shit eh."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Spider bot
in WD2 might be a moment of the year

playing coop with Abigail
in Stardew Valley is the actual moment of the year

Very cool. I thought it was going to be a 100% Oculus thing.

Yup. And I think it'll translate well as it is not really a roomscale type game. And you really don't need fine hand movements, so the PS Move controllers will work just fine with the game. I wish the non-VR version would come to PS4 at some point as well.

Moment of the year is the final dance of Pokémon Sun and Moon's fire trial.

Runners up are Gladion telling you to get out, and Team Skull trying to steal a bus stop.

Lijik

The last portion of Inside is the most fucked up, disturbing, hilarious, and incredible slice of gameplay I've ever experienced.

That HAS to win Moment of the Year.

probably the hardest i laughed at a game all year. it helped the animation and controls were on point for that sequence too.

My moment of the year is in Dishonored 2 -
realizing that if you prevent Stilton from attending the seance in the time travel level, it gives you an entirely new pristine mansion layout in the present, Megan's injuries are healed because she never got them by investigating Stilton going missing, and Stilton appears on the boat before the next mission briefing because in this new timeline he was always an ally
. The pileup of wrinkles is something I wouldnt expect a game to ever actually follow through on, its mindblowing.

I feel outside of Obsidian hitting their mark of releasing a game that's better than most games out there but utter shit in comparison to the scope of Alpha Protocol or the writing of MotB this year's been pretty shit. Is there something that's comparable to a title like Undertale that came out of nowhere but was utterly charming, pairing mechanics with narrative in a way other game don't and told a story that focused on meaningful human existence?

I mean Doom, Titanfall and Shadow Warrior were great shooters, Steven's Sausage Roll and The Witness were fab puzzle games, Grimdawn was a premium looter, Hitman was a Hitman, SFV was an amazing fighter despite it's many shortcomings, and Stardew along with Factorium were fantastic time wasters/efficiency conundrums.

But were there any games that actually spoke to people that I missed?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Last year had more games that "speak to me" so to speak.

And by that I meant undertale and Life is Strange.

Yes I'm twee as fuck.

Is it just me or was the Titanfall 2 thing way overblown. I mean it's not really as cool as people were making it out to be. People were like "Theres this one level where you hit a button and wowwww omg soo gooooooood like mmmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmm good"

It really wasn't anything that special.

I think Cause & Effect was neat, but yeah, other games have done that before. I feel like it benefited massively from low expectations. I thought the campaign was just okay with a completely scattershot, inconsequential narrative that only existed to give us some cool South-African accents and annoying boss fights.

I feel outside of Obsidian hitting their mark of releasing a game that's better than most games out there but utter shit in comparison to the scope of Alpha Protocol or the writing of MotB this year's been pretty shit. Is there something that's comparable to a title like Undertale that came out of nowhere but was utterly charming, pairing mechanics with narrative in a way other game don't and told a story that focused on meaningful human existence?

The Last Guardian imo. I thought Uncharted 4's storytelling was extremely good too, the performances were incredible, the writing was on-point, and they weren't afraid to just not have shooting for a very long time. But I think it's oddly taken for granted for some reason.

I think Cause & Effect was neat, but yeah, other games have done that before. I feel like it benefited massively from low expectations. I thought the campaign was just okay with a completely scattershot, inconsequential narrative that only existed to give us some cool South-African accents and annoying boss fights.

only the fight with the flying dude was annoying and that was because I mainly used Scorch throughout the campaign

Blastoise

Banned
Alex kills the beastcast. He is not as funny as he thinks he is. Very painful to sit through his 'jokes'.

Even dream team Jeff and Drew can't save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom