• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Have you seen the things EZA does for money?

Cyo1h8jUoAAshQK.jpg

A lot of the EZA crowd work part time for EZA so they are engaged with other jobs. However, it does invite interesting analysis on the relationship between employee engagements in a non traditional gaming editorial outlet.

oti

Banned
How many people in this thread have cancelled their subscription due to lack of content?
If I could unsubscribe without some major inconvenience I would do it in a heartbeat. But I paid with PayPal for a year so sending some of the money back etc. sounds like hell for them. I don't want them to waste their time on this.

GB is the only outlet I pay money for and I've been doing that happily for three or four years now. I've never been so unsatisfied with my purchase before and it's super frustrating they aren't even properly communicating what the problem is.

Plus take some people here who get in some kind of rage mode whenever you bring up the content drought bundled with the couple of idiots who feel like it's important to know that they feel like GB duders have an easy job. Man, I don't care about that drama. I just want more premium content. That's all.

I mean look at this thread. It's the same garbage day in and day out for months now since there isn't really #content to talk about.

A lot of the EZA crowd work part time for EZA so they are engaged with other jobs. However, it does invite interesting analysis on the relationship between employee engagements in a non traditional gaming editorial outlet.

The fact they are part timers and seem to do so much more kind of just underscores my points.

Also yeah if I could somehow unsubscribe right now I would.

robotrock

Banned
Like its still disgusting

Imagine if jeff ended his mixlrs with "peace out guys go chug some sprite"

And it sucks because for me this guy is the best out of the whole group
You know, Jeff tells us to buy a mattress every week. Vinny tells us to buy new underwear. That's all fine.

It would be a problem if they were being paid by a publisher to promote a game or platform, but they don't do those kind of deals. That would be a conflict of interest.

neshcom

Banned
Maybe it's because it's the only online game I've liked in maybe ever, I'd love to see a duder playing Let It Die more. Though Jeff made a good point (on the cast or QL) that the gameplay cycle is still a little hazy, so maybe that's weird. I just want to watch someone play more Let It Die who isn't a Twitch streamer.

Lets not compare groups together it leads to sadness

Dan for example seems to do alot of stuff outside of GB. Like he goes on other podcasts, he does wrestling stuff, etc.

What Im trying to say as that GB are older gentlemen who have family lives and cant do as much as the whisky days. They can, but itd take away from their families.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, HYDROMAN really isn't that bad. Might be corny, but it's still just a non-gaming industry sponsor.

Like, wearing a plastic Pipboy while complaining others don't like Fallout 4 is ten times worse.

TraBuch

Banned
Lost Odyssey is free until the 31st. I stopped playing it after I finally had enough of those annoying ass kids. Might try the game again.

oti

Banned
Maybe it's because it's the only online game I've liked in maybe ever, I'd love to see a duder playing Let It Die more. Though Jeff made a good point (on the cast or QL) that the gameplay cycle is still a little hazy, so maybe that's weird. I just want to watch someone play more Let It Die who isn't a Twitch streamer.

Ben on EZA played some, he's pretty good at Dark Souls I think. It's up on YouTube.

Like its still disgusting

Imagine if jeff ended his mixlrs with "peace out guys go chug some sprite"

And it sucks because for me this guy is the best out of the whole group

I don't think there's anything disgusting about Kyle making a living doing something completely unrelated to his own generated content. Besides, it's hilarious to see him doing these adverts as you can see he's in physical pain after lambasting corporate gaming on The Final Bosman for years. Comparing Jeff's casual driving mixlrs to The Game Awards, a multi-million dollar event, is unfair.

ev0

I don't think I'm going to resub.

Maybe Dan moving east will help things but it's been on a slow decline for years. I miss the whisky days.

I'm still not sure what not going to the office on Monday was supposed to accomplish.

They old excuse was "they spend all day recording the podcast, then it needs editing" on Mondays. But then they go in Tuesday and "make content"

No Tuesday is taken up by live podcast which requires way less post production work and don't go into the office on Monday with the promise that it will free up time for more content.

I think the only content we ever got on Mondays was from Jeff, including 2 things this week. And that's rare. I have no idea what any one else is doing on Monday (queue "you have no idea what they do all day") but it's not content

edit: I like Kyle, so I wont fault him for getting paid, he's goofy enough to pull off some of that stuff

pizzacat

Banned
You know, Jeff tells us to buy a mattress every week. Vinny tells us to buy new underwear. That's all fine.

It would be a problem if they were being paid by a publisher to promote a game or platform, but they don't do those kind of deals. That would be a conflict of interest.
Not on my podcasts

Even then theyve given their reasons for having it there

He only specifically shilled shit out during that event and the only game he talked about was assassins creed (the movie)

Joel McHale talked video games more that year he hosted than guy who gets paid to talk video games

Its just weird to me that he would accept a gig like that knowing what that event is

robotrock

Banned
Not on my podcasts

Even then theyve given their reasons for having it there

He only specifically shilled shit out during that event and the only game he talked about was assassins creed (the movie)

Joel McHale talked video games more that year he hosted than guy who gets paid to talk video games

Its just weird to me that he would accept a gig like that knowing what that event is
So you're problem isn't the razor, but more so the nature of The Game Awards? If so, sure. That event is weird with all the publishers paying to promote specific games or world premieres. Definitely a conflict of interest.

Your sprite example+the razer are a different thing. The Game Awards would be fine if it was just an awards show that rolled ads for toilet paper and razors

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I was stuck on 99 seeds for the last achievement in Lost Odyssey. Never forget.

Great game, though. One of the best Xbox exclusives ever.

I think the struggle to get more staff is what's hurting them the most. They keep saying that things will pick up once they hire people, and for a while it does, but then they lose someone and it puts them back in the shitter again. Since 2013 they've hired Dan, Jason, and Austin, but lost Ryan (rip bud), Patrick, and, uh, Austin again. So really a net total of 0 new staff since Alex & Rorie joined full time, if you take the long view. Obviously it's not their fault that they lost any of those people, but it seems like their grand hiring plans have kinda fallen flat at this point.

The most insane part is that Jeff said on jar time they haven't even started the entire hiring process yet. You'd think they'd start that as soon as Austin was leaving. Seems like the only thing CBSi has done for GB is add more overhead.

kai3345

Banned
The most insane part is that Jeff said on jar time they haven't even started the entire hiring process yet. You'd think they'd start that as soon as Austin was leaving. Seems like the only thing CBSi has done for GB is add more overhead.

At least in my experience, 4th quarter is usually when budgets tighten up. I imagine once they get their budget for the 1st quarter, that they'll likely start the hiring process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom