• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
You're gonna love FFXV for GOTY podcasts

Mayyybe, I'm actually curious if anyone will have played it enough to speak to it much - in recent podcasts Jeff keeps saying that 'it seems cool' so I guess he didn't touch it given that the GOTY podcasts are in the can.

Hoping to play Infinite Warfare and the MW remaster. Pretty excited for both honestly, the multiplayer will be my GOTY podcast fluff. I might try put more time into my Witcher 3 replay as well. I started a new game to play the expansions (which I haven't played yet) but I guess I forgot how long it is. Just finished the Novigrad stuff and it was endless. I might buy Stardew Valley on consoles as well? Kinda feel like playing that game again but on PS4.

After hearing a lot of good stuff about Blood and Wine I want to get back to Witcher 3 but at this rate I guess I'll just start over. Maybe on PC too, for performance's sake.

And Let it Die. And finishing The Witness. Jeeze.

edit - oh shit

qOtEHnx.jpg

Niiice.

PARTY TODAY CONFIRMED

Saving it for tomorrow, going to have to dodge this thread when it happens.

Looking forward to it, Alex should be able to finish M1 today.

Just found out a old neighbor I had known for as long as I can remember died.

Knew her and her family since I was little. We both even moved to the same area when our families moved in the late 90's.

Her husband passed away suddenly last year and I guess since then her health had deteriorated. I hadn't seen her much since but I just assumed after her husband she was keeping to herself and not socializing much. Didnt know her health was bad. She was in her mid 50's so about my parents age too.

Super nice lady. REALLY feeling for her family and kids.

Yo. Fuck 2016.

I know it kind of goes against the
"learning for learning's sake"
theme of The Witness, but I really wish
there was more incentive to 100% it. Even if they usually suck, I always enjoy a special 100% ending

Edit: Added some spoiler tags for what I would consider minor spoilers, but some might see otherwise.

robotrock

Banned
Mayyybe, I'm actually curious if anyone will have played it enough to speak to it much - in recent podcasts Jeff keeps saying that 'it seems cool' so I guess he didn't touch it given that the GOTY podcasts are in the can.

I think what's happening is the old "ahh I'll just wait for the patches to fix the things I hear are problems" and then they'll actually never finish it/check it out ever

So if you only do story missions you get to the end of the game very quickly. I beat the game at around an average level of 36 with minimal difficulty so that route is doable.

Oh dammit, I'm that level now at chapter 6. Wondering if I should just mainline the rest of the game and do all the side quests after, but also worrying that once I do that I'll be less inclined to do the side stuff.

Tubobutts

I dunno, it's pretty fuckin' terrible. I had next to no expectations and I was somehow still disappointed. It was a particularly barebones early access survival game with ONE (1) neat gimmick that showed its hand within a few hours.
But the people at GiantBomb.com enjoyed what little was there. So they won't call it the worst game of the year. It also won't pull a Destiny and be both a disappointment and a top 10 game of the year.

But the people at GiantBomb.com enjoyed what little was there. So they won't call it the worst game of the year. It also won't pull a Destiny and be both a disappointment and a top 10 game of the year.

oh no, most disappointing for them is SFV, that's a lock. I don't know that we'll see much of NMS from them period, I don't think it'll make top 10 either (it better fucking not)

I late to this I'm sure, but it is absolutely unacceptable that they posted that UPF Nidhogg segment as a quick look. Especially considering things have been as slow as they have been for a while. They're busy and short one staff technically, but that doesn't really excuse this. They need to setup some sort of production pipeline where they have video ready to go when they're engaged with other stuff. Like every three months something comes up and the site slows to a crawl in terms of output. Easy Allies is less than a year old and have no corporate backing, but no seem to not struggle putting things out with consistency. Yeah I get it they have a couple of more people on staff, but those extra two or three people shouldn't equal what seems like triple the output.

Chuck

Still without luck
I late to this I'm sure, but it is absolutely unacceptable that they posted that UPF Nidhogg segment as a quick look. Especially considering things have been as slow as they have been for a while. They're busy and short one staff technically, but that doesn't really excuse this. They need to setup some sort of production pipeline where they have video ready to go when they're engaged with other stuff. Like every three months something comes up and the site slows to a crawl in terms of output. Easy Allies is less than a year old and have no corporate backing, but no seem to not struggle putting things out with consistency. Yeah I get it they have a couple of more people on staff, but those extra two or three people shouldn't equal what seems like triple the output.
Totally agreed.

"Absolutely unacceptable" seems like a crazy strong way of phrasing it. I'm fine with them making that segment public because, odds are, a second video would have been way more boring with no Vinny, Alex, or the sense of discovery that came with seeing new maps, new weapons, new mechanics.

I think the struggle to get more staff is what's hurting them the most. They keep saying that things will pick up once they hire people, and for a while it does, but then they lose someone and it puts them back in the shitter again. Since 2013 they've hired Dan, Jason, and Austin, but lost Ryan (rip bud), Patrick, and, uh, Austin again. So really a net total of 0 new staff since Alex & Rorie joined full time, if you take the long view. Obviously it's not their fault that they lost any of those people, but it seems like their grand hiring plans have kinda fallen flat at this point.

Wunder

this isn't doom??

I think the struggle to get more staff is what's hurting them the most. They keep saying that things will pick up once they hire people, and for a while it does, but then they lose someone and it puts them back in the shitter again. Since 2013 they've hired Dan, Jason, and Austin, but lost Ryan (rip bud), Patrick, and, uh, Austin again. So really a net total of 0 new staff since Alex & Rorie joined full time, if you take the long view. Obviously it's not their fault that they lost any of those people, but it seems like their grand hiring plans have kinda fallen flat at this point.

It's also really difficult to look for hires for their particular style of work too, since I have no doubt there are several people that are qualified for the position but the actual on-camera chemistry is really what matters the most, and that's something you can't really work out in one or two interviews.

Maiorum

I don't mind the segment being posted separately for free in and on itself: they could make all their future content free and I'd probably still "tip" them the $50 an year. My problem isn't whether the content is premium is free, it's with the amount of it, and it's only in the context of the paucity of content lately that the Nidhogg UF stings a bit.

z5851997459a3e.gif

I know Vinny and the other guys read the thread sometimes, so I thought i'd help them out by designing a new logo for some new merch. It turns out that graphic design is super easy.

No need to pay me.

"Absolutely unacceptable" seems like a crazy strong way of phrasing it. I'm fine with them making that segment public because, odds are, a second video would have been way more boring with no Vinny, Alex, or the sense of discovery that came with seeing new maps, new weapons, new mechanics.

They took a segment from a premium feature and hosted it as an unfinished. In a week where they have had four videos two of which are Jeff sitting at home by himself thats not okay. The video feed of the podcast does not count.

I'm critiquing their slow rate of output not the Nidhogg video specifically. This just exacerbated the issue to the breaking point.

It's also really difficult to look for hires for their particular style of work too, since I have no doubt there are several people that are qualified for the position but the actual on-camera chemistry is really what matters the most, and that's something you can't really work out in one or two interviews.

Supposedly one of the hires they need is a video guy because Drew, Jason, and Vinny aren't enough, but that hasn't happened. If the idea is to find someone perfect who can do both video production be on camera its time compromise. Drew didn't start out being on camera and look where he is now. If chemistry is really the issue they're never going to find someone who plays off each other the same way they all do at first. Alex, Brad, Jeff, and Vinny have known each other for well over a decade and Jason and Dan worked together for years. That kind of chemistry takes time a new hire usually isn't going to just slot right in no matter what the business.

oti

Banned
If you are "fine with that" then there's really no need for a premium membership. Pay them $50 a year because you like them and we are done here. Premium always means additional content or functionality, otherwise it's just a tip jar.

I think you are right that in this particular case it's not "that bad" but it's still bad in my opinion.

Mr. F

Banned
I think what's happening is the old "ahh I'll just wait for the patches to fix the things I hear are problems" and then they'll actually never finish it/check it out ever

I'm sort of tempted to do the same (except actually go back to it later), the patch announcements kind of killed my momentum as someone relatively early in the game and not finding myself super invested.

I wonder if that starts to become more and more difficult as the age gap grows between the GB staff and their potential hiring pool.

You've gotten the sense that the 'video game journalism space' was very particular to a place and time and it seems there's pretty small growth in terms of new personalities that aren't just part of the streamer/YouTube wave.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really think it's a special case with Nidhogg 2. There either wouldn't be an Unfinished for the game at all or they use the part from upf. Really can't get mad at that.
They won't do it with other segments of the show.

Strax

How many people in this thread have cancelled their subscription due to lack of content?

Given your comments on the topic in this thread I'm guessing this is meant in some weird way but I'll answer it anyway.

I've already paid for the next 9 months so that's the time I'll give them to stop this trainwreck, and I do think it's a trainwreck. Like people here have already pointed out the amount of premium content in the last 3 months has been 50% - 66% less then previous years and it's not like they were in steller form before that. For me to resub one of two things needs to happen.

A) They need to be way better in regards to communicating to the community about what they are doing and when.

or

B) Put out much more premium content and keep the community in the dark about plans and stuff like that.

Both would be better but I think that dream will never happen. I'll happily subscribe even without their current premium because then I wouldn't be expecting Demo Derby, Game Tapes, MPP, Old Games Show, Ranking of Fighters etc but this maybe, whatever attitude is getting out of hand. Especially after the stunt they pulled during the last sale.

If you are "fine with that" then there's really no need for a premium membership. Pay them $50 a year because you like them and we are done here. Premium always means additional content or functionality, otherwise it's just a tip jar.

I think you are right that in this particular case it's not "that bad" but it's still bad in my opinion.

I'm not "fine" with them doing it for every single second of every premium video, but I think that the circumstances around that segment specifically make sense. If it were Doom, they could do a different level. For Hitman, a different mission/target. For something like a playdate, usually it's a staff member that didn't do the quick look so it's new.

For Nidhogg, pretty much everyone was there, nidhogg doesn't change that much moment to moment, and putting it in front of more eyes seems like a way to repay the favor of the devs going out of the way to get it to them.

Easy Allies is less than a year old and have no corporate backing, but no seem to not struggle putting things out with consistency. Yeah I get it they have a couple of more people on staff, but those extra two or three people shouldn't equal what seems like triple the output.

I'd like to refrain from directly comparing the two groups as I think it leads us down a p embarrassing path, but I do think it is fair to look at EZA as a baseline metric for the level of output that should be expected from a games media site (gah maybe this IS me just comparing them, sorry). EZA hosts numerous weekly and biweekly show (each 'ally' has a regular show) on top of consistent group streams. They also have various 'fun' episodes of things that happen multiple times throughout the year a la BETS. And finally, their content is occasionally more than 'point cam and shoot.' Their reviews (and they review every major game) come well edited with great voice over to boot. You can tell they put so much time and energy into their #content, and even the part-timers treat EZA like a full-time commitment. That's the vibe I catch, at least.

All I am saying is that I would love a world where GB provides more consistent PREMIUM content like other places, and that's only because I truly love hearing the guys' opinions (specifically Jeff's!). I have been following them since the beginning and will continue to do so. I realize that I am ignorant of the GB's corporate limitations via CBSi and how much work they have to do that we do not see, but still...

pizzacat

Banned
Have you seen the things EZA does for money?

Cyo1h8jUoAAshQK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom