• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that the PS4 Pro is still far behind what a PC can do is evidence that a PS5 is coming. These marginal upgrades are just delaying the inevitable.

Real talk. Waypoints twitter account needs to chill a little with the memes and the "haha look at this funny joke we made in slack chat".

Just reel it back a little.

Jeff's views on the likelihood of a PS5 are weird and preposterous.

Especially since Cerny has igone on record saying the PRO is just a refresh and Sony still totally believe in generations.

MS on the other hand pretty much went with "a future without generations" as the tagline for Scorpio.

PS5 in 2019-2020. Death Stranding is probably the only game announced I would bet my house is going to be a PS5 game. If FF7R goes dark for another year then that too I guess.

kiguel182

Did Marrakesh. This one is so much more dense in terms of people but it seemed to be a little too big with less stuff happening. Just my first impression, I'm still going to go for level 20 on all of them if I can.

Didn't find the massage guy so I just did a normal kill. Same with the general. Very anti climatic deaths.

Also, infiltrating the places seem much harder than the other two. There's always someone suspicious of me!

What if Sony goes the apple route and just called it PlayStation.

I wish.

Did Marrakesh. This one is so much more dense in terms of people but it seemed to be a little too big with less stuff happening. Just my first impression, I'm still going to go for level 20 on all of them if I can.

Didn't find the massage guy so I just did a normal kill. Same with the general. Very anti climatic deaths.

Also, infiltrating the places seem much harder than the other two. There's always someone suspicious of me!

Also the camara man disguise is good for the consulate

I wish.

There are some interesting kills involving the tunnel that connects both places

ahhhh going to have to leave the thread, don't have a premium sub right now and even then i won't have time to watch the party until next thursday at least

see y'all then

Giant Bomb: A site about emails and fixing broken stuff. And getting used to the new office.

Glad Vinny came in and said what was going on and gave a breakdown. But normally he shouldn't be doing 3 hours of expense reports a week, this was a special occasion since he was out for the last two weeks on the west coast. So the majority of his job is email sorter and repair man. That blows.

KingKong

Giant Bomb: A site about emails and fixing broken stuff. And getting used to the new office.

Glad Vinny came in and said what was going on and gave a breakdown. But normally he shouldn't be doing 3 hours of expense reports a week, this was a special occasion since he was out for the last two weeks on the west coast. So the majority of his job is email sorter and repair man. That blows.

I mean they still managed to have one or two livestreams a week and many premium features that they didnt abandon so I dont think the GBeast situation is comperable to GBWest

Life is Strange playthrough, random wednesday playthroughs, all of vinnyvania, shenmue endurance run, kerbal space program, contradiction, phantasmagoria 2, Until Dawn, I have no problem at all with GBEast output

LiK

Real talk. Waypoints twitter account needs to chill a little with the memes and the "haha look at this funny joke we made in slack chat".

Just reel it back a little.

Especially since Cerny has igone on record saying the PRO is just a refresh and Sony still totally believe in generations.

MS on the other hand pretty much went with "a future without generations" as the tagline for Scorpio.

PS5 in 2019-2020. Death Stranding is probably the only game announced I would bet my house is going to be a PS5 game. If FF7R goes dark for another year then that too I guess.

I agree, whoever is in charge of the Waypoint Twitter needs to stop putting its head up its own ass so much with memes and screenshots from streams. Not sure everyone who follows it knows what the hell they're even talking about.

Hasney

I think the fact that the PS4 Pro is still far behind what a PC can do is evidence that a PS5 is coming. These marginal upgrades are just delaying the inevitable.

But if the PS5 came out this year, these would be the specs of it to keep it at price regardless. I think the likelihood is that even if a PS5 does come out, it won't be as clean a generational break anymore. It'll still run all the old PS4 games and instead of weening out cross-gen games, it'll just be a disc that runs on PS4 or 5 where specified.

No doubt that Pro and Scorpio are testing the market like that as well as delaying the next "full" consoles. Saves them from having to totally reset their user base every so often

PS4 Pro is a way for Sony to double dip on consumers and ameliorate the R&D costs of a 4K system. There will absolutely be a PS5.

MS is going that route they are because Xbox isn't doing nearly as well as they thought it would after the 360, and that tag line is spin to obfuscate the fact that they're launching a new console only four years after the Xbox One. Xbox just isn't a global brand like Playstation is, since it's pretty much only relevant in the US and UK, so if a competitor seriously cuts into those territories in a shrinking market, then they have to do something drastic. But calling Scorpio the new generation that it obviously is will piss people off, so you have MS people talking out both sides of their mouth about it, "no one will be left behind" vs. "games on the old system will look like they're running on an old laptop." It's not a good position for them, especially when you have the Windows 10 store tanking, and their first party software selling abysmally.

I think the best comparison is actually the drop from PSP to Vita, but less drastic because the US+UK is a bigger market than Japan. And Microsoft really has no where to run like Sony did when they started moving Vita stuff to PS4, so Scorpio really needs to hit hard for them.

Ha, the biggest one that would surprise you (surprised me) is that recently we got poll results that said most people are extremely happy with the amount of premium content for their money. We've been trying to figure out that free/premium content mix for awhile. Free content reaches new potential subs while obviously premium content is what you pay for. That can be a tough balance.

One of the things that might be surprising is the cost to host and deliver video. Even with a preroll ad, since our stuff is pretty long we basically lose money on every piece of video we serve. We get to push back on stuffing the site with crap ads and midrolls every 5 seconds because we have awesome premium subs. We've said it before, but this site would not exist without premium users.

The other thing that might be surprising is how much it costs to do business. There's a large sunk cost we have to cover as part of being part of a big company. Things like offices, HR, design, engineering, legal, toilet paper, etc. It's a lot. The more money GB actually brings in the less of a percentage that sunk cost is to us and the more we have to spend on growth, but currently it's a very large percentage that we need to clear.
:thumbsUp

This is a really informative answer, thanks Vinny :)

(I'm sorry we forgot to ask how your hand is doing, hope it's better. Even if that was terribly entertaining >_>)

"Bae come home"
"Can't, in a meeting"
"My parents aren't home"

japanese-businessman-running-to-arrive-on-time-picture-id540966736

FStop7

Banned
Is Waypoint streaming? They started off so well with that marathon. I know Austin and Patrick are writers at heart but they need to make videos.

Also, I found my Bloc Party "Silent Alarm" CD and it had the VICE logo on it. That's from 2005-ish. Didn't realize that VICE has been around for so long.

I missed Vinnyfall. This is a disaster.

I always wondered how often they got the "cover this game (you already covered years back)" requests. Cool stuff.
Is Waypoint streaming? They started off so well with that marathon. I know Austin and Patrick are writers at heart but they need to make videos.

Also, I found my Bloc Party "Silent Alarm" CD and it had the VICE logo on it. That's from 2005-ish. Didn't realize that VICE has been around for so long.

They've had a lot of trouble getting the streaming pipeline working, I think. Every week (or most of the time?) there's been an issue or conflict on the stream that's forced them to table it. But they do get a few things out here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom