• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
I agree, whoever is in charge of the Waypoint Twitter needs to stop putting its head up its own ass so much with memes and screenshots from streams. Not sure everyone who follows it knows what the hell they're even talking about.

Austin's twitter is mostly the same *follow the money*

The forced knack memes and general in-jokes are a bit overbearing - even creeping into the podcast.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They should've invested more into video production and less into social media maybe. Isn't this like their third stream that either didn't work or got cancelled?

edit: Talking about Waypoint.

killroy87

They should've invested more into video production and less into social media maybe. Isn't this like their third stream that either didn't work or got cancelled?

edit: Talking about Waypoint.

Haha the problem there is, investing in in streaming requires tons of money and manpower, and investing in social media requires one human with a phone.

Thinking on the content dearth, I can only speak for myself, but I think many people don't care about lack of premium content nearly as much as just lack of content in general recently. I am basically fine with Premium being more of a "help keep us in business" but it's tough to go from getting a certain amount of content, premium or otherwise, and that amount of content suddenly being basically chopped in half for an extended period. Does that make sense?

TraBuch

Banned
Waypoint is legitimately the worst and I feel sad that's the direction Austin's going, but if it's working out for him, eh, good on him.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You all made Vinny sad again while I was gone didn't you.

Can't even go a busy day without keeping an eye on this place.

kiguel182

I feel like the Waypoint podcast still has ways to go. So far it feels super disjointed and messy. Which I guess is normal since it's a new thing but it's very obvious when contrasted with the Giant Bomb casts.

Also, the three of them are awesome people but they really are a little too similar sometimes and maybe because of that they don't have the best group dynamic.

Let It Die is a cool thing, especially for it being free and coming out of nowhere. Unfortunately the server issues have still been popping up as recently as an hour ago, which was the last time I tried to play. But yeah, there are a ton of cool ideas in there. Been spending my time between that and the Stardew Valley PS4 edition. I loved that game on PC, and I loved that my shitty laptop could run it well, but there's something to be said for seeing all those vibrant colors and cool hand-crafted designs on my big TV.

Joeku

Let It Die is a cool thing, especially for it being free and coming out of nowhere. Unfortunately the server issues have still been popping up as recently as an hour ago, which was the last time I tried to play. But yeah, there are a ton of cool ideas in there. Been spending my time between that and the Stardew Valley PS4 edition. I loved that game on PC, and I loved that my shitty laptop could run it well, but there's something to be said for seeing all those vibrant colors and cool hand-crafted designs on my big TV.

My one issue with Let it Die is that I'm afraid to stop until I make enough progress to spend all the killcoins and splithium I have before logging off. So it's either a big session or none at all.

I'm not even sure if one player CAN come take it all or if it's just in little bits. I just freak out and not use it, much like FOB in MGSV.

Super neat game, though.

neshcom

Banned
Let It Die is a cool thing, especially for it being free and coming out of nowhere. Unfortunately the server issues have still been popping up as recently as an hour ago, which was the last time I tried to play. But yeah, there are a ton of cool ideas in there.

They just started maintenence an hour ago and has another hour left. I haven't had server issues the past few days at different points in the day.

My one issue with Let it Die is that I'm afraid to stop until I make enough progress to spend all the killcoins and splithium I have before logging off. So it's either a big session or none at all.

I'm not even sure if one player CAN come take it all or if it's just in little bits. I just freak out and not use it, much like FOB in MGSV.

Super neat game, though.

I think the most someone can take in a raid is 10% of your total?

Joeku

They just started maintenence an hour ago and has another hour left. I haven't had server issues the past few days at different points in the day.

I think the most someone can take in a raid is 10% of your total?

Can you get raided more than once between sessions? If not, then eh, no bother.

Sulik2

Jeff's views on the likelihood of a PS5 are weird and preposterous.

Depends, if the PS5 ships three years from now, is fully backwards compatible with the PS4, its games will all run on PS4 Pro but not the 2013 machine is it really a PS5 or just a continuation of the PS4 generation? That is how I see Jeff's reasoning personally.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Given your comments on the topic in this thread I'm guessing this is meant in some weird way but I'll answer it anyway.

I've already paid for the next 9 months so that's the time I'll give them to stop this trainwreck, and I do think it's a trainwreck. Like people here have already pointed out the amount of premium content in the last 3 months has been 50% - 66% less then previous years and it's not like they were in steller form before that. For me to resub one of two things needs to happen.

A) They need to be way better in regards to communicating to the community about what they are doing and when.

or

B) Put out much more premium content and keep the community in the dark about plans and stuff like that.

Both would be better but I think that dream will never happen. I'll happily subscribe even without their current premium because then I wouldn't be expecting Demo Derby, Game Tapes, MPP, Old Games Show, Ranking of Fighters etc but this maybe, whatever attitude is getting out of hand. Especially after the stunt they pulled during the last sale.

I'm asking because I'm trying to understand if people are actually upset. Since it sounds like only you eventually plan to lapse your account, I can assume that everyone else is just complaining to complain. Or perhaps to fit in.

Joeku

Man, they were pretty down during 2014 gotycasts.

Well, 2014 was the weakest year for games since 2006 or so, the last year before the Big Bang Boom of 2007. I mean, I loved Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, and Wolfenstein (and understand why they picked Mordor), but eh...

neshcom

Banned
Can you get raided more than once between sessions? If not, then eh, no bother.

I've seen conflicting reports. It's tough because kill coins are so easy to grind and splithium isn't--short of doing a lot of raids yourself.

At this point, I've given up sending my secondaries to expeditions and have them all defend my base. 3 or 4 at a time should be a solid defense for now.

FStop7

Banned
I'm asking because I'm trying to understand if people are actually upset. Since it sounds like only you eventually plan to lapse your account, I can assume that everyone else is just complaining to complain. Or perhaps to fit in.

I mentioned earlier today that I'm giving a couple more months and if things don't pick up I'm ending my sub. I feel petty asking for ~$40 back (whatever's left on my current sub plus the $35 for the year after) but if I'm not getting what I consider to be value for it then I guess I'll ask.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, yeah the only thing that gave me an impression in 2014 that lasted till today was divinity.

edit: oh yeah, and danganronpa and hatsune miku: project diva f.

Tagyhag

Hmm, yeah the only thing that gave me an impression in 2014 that lasted till today was divinity.

edit: oh yeah, and danganronpa and hatsune miku: project diva f.

Such a shame that Patrick was the only one that played Divinity.

It was 10 times the game Mordor was.

Ah my mistake, must've missed the part about it being maintenance.

I think part of why I'm so into it is that I kinda forgot about rogue-like-lite-lite-likes for a while? I played a bunch of them when they were the new/old hotness, like Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, FTL, and Binding of Isaac. But besides those... I played Enter the Gungeon this year and liked it ok, but it never really got its hooks in me like others have.

Anyone else think Let It Die will be/was a contender during GOTY for a styyyyyyyyyylish category? I'm trying to remember when Jeff said he started playing it and if it was before or after the NY guys were in the studio.

TraBuch

Banned
It's crazy to me that the amount of premium content is apparently more than enough for the majority of people. Is it just a bunch of people saying that so they can make their internet dads happy like those people who send Dan amiibos when he asks for them or are we just such hardcore fans that we go through the content faster than most people?

Ashby

It's crazy to me that the amount of premium content is apparently more than enough for the majority of people. Is it just a bunch of people saying that so they can make their internet dads happy like those people who send Dan amiibos when he asks for them or are we just such hardcore fans that we go through the content faster than most people?

They have full time jobs and social lives.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mentioned earlier today that I'm giving a couple more months and if things don't pick up I'm ending my sub. I feel petty asking for ~$40 back (whatever's left on my current sub plus the $35 for the year after) but if I'm not getting what I consider to be value for it then I guess I'll ask.

I forgot to include you. Thanks.

I truly believe lack of content is a valid criticism. It for sure is a reason to cancel or not renew. What I am confused about is why people post about it repeatedily, every few days as if suddenly the GB crew will realize the same people that belittle them will continue to be unhappy no matter what they do so they better put out some content and oh god, how dare they offer once paid content to non-premium members.
If there is not enough value in the cost it takes, get rid of the cost and move on.

My schedule has varied a lot throughout the year but generally I can't even come close to keeping up with all the video they put out, but I also don't really pay attention to what is premium vs free.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I get very few hours to myself a week. I'm in my thirties and happily married. I do not consume probably 40-60% of GB content. GB content is the only video and podcast thing that I interact with. I watch maybe 5 movies a year and 0 TV shows. I am happy with my subscription.

Edit: I occasionally watch YouTube videos like DF Retro and No Clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom