• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
When you do $ per hour i think the value is pretty damn good.

I would support them even if I didn't get anything in return. So maybe i'm part of the "problem".

I also don't count recording game of the year podcast/videos a drought. That shit takes time.

ev0

Thinking on the content dearth, I can only speak for myself, but I think many people don't care about lack of premium content nearly as much as just lack of content in general recently. I am basically fine with Premium being more of a "help keep us in business" but it's tough to go from getting a certain amount of content, premium or otherwise, and that amount of content suddenly being basically chopped in half for an extended period. Does that make sense?

I for the most part feel this way. And its super nice of Vinny to stop by, but personally I think my worries (complaints?) mostly lie with GBWest; especially with Dan leaving

I'm fortunate enough to have a (mostly) desk job where I have time most days to watch stuff at work. This enables me to watch every second of every piece of Giant Bomb content.

Zaph

You ain't gotta watch all of gb's output to be unhappy with the current content. Or even most of it.

I skip nearly all QL's (unless you guys point out a good one) but I'm still bummed at the output compared to this time last year, as it's mostly features that are missing and those are what I enjoy the most.

bomma_man

It's crazy to me that the amount of premium content is apparently more than enough for the majority of people. Is it just a bunch of people saying that so they can make their internet dads happy like those people who send Dan amiibos when he asks for them or are we just such hardcore fans that we go through the content faster than most people?

I consume less than half of what they put out because I have other interests and responsibilities.

I mean how do you people live.

All I want out of life is a job where I can do this.

I don't want to get too real here, but the thing I feared kind of happened with this job. You realize that although the stress level may be lower, and it's nice having time to do stuff, it's ultimately quite unfulfilling. I definitely won't be doing this forever.

Still a billion times better than working retail, of course.

Quick Look: Super Mario Run
VIDEO ON DEC 15, 2016 10:00 AM

2906049-smr.jpg

Scizzy

It's crazy to me that the amount of premium content is apparently more than enough for the majority of people. Is it just a bunch of people saying that so they can make their internet dads happy like those people who send Dan amiibos when he asks for them or are we just such hardcore fans that we go through the content faster than most people?

We are absolutely the most hardcore and most demanding fans of Giant Bomb. It seems self-evident that the vast majority of GB fans aren't posting about the site on some random video game message board. This isn't to say that people's complaints aren't valid, but I bet most GB subscribers watch only a relatively small percentage of GB content.

Ashby

I don't want to get too real here, but the thing I feared kind of happened with this job. You realize that although the stress level may be lower, and it's nice having time to do stuff, it's ultimately quite unfulfilling. I definitely won't be doing this forever.

I work sales so it's a desk job but I'm constantly dialing. Honestly, it probably is a gig where I could get away with a video or two a day if I was in some giant corporation where it'd be easier to fly under the radar and not a smaller company.

I work sales so it's a desk job but I'm constantly dialing. Honestly, it probably is a gig where I could get away with a video or two a day if I was in some giant corporation where it'd be easier to fly under the radar and not a smaller company.
Yeah, I'm glad I don't have to do much phone stuff. I had a phone support job for a while and it almost killed me.
By the time they get to me they're long past any hope of getting better
Oh. :(

Vinny answering the real as shit questions instead of the usual "we're growing" stuff is refreshing and much needed.

Dan moving to Gbeast is about the only GB thing I'm currently excited about.

Kerbal and Shenmue are the two best things they've done this year.

They.need.more.self.contained.shows.

I could honestly do without any live shows if they put proper effort into making these types of series. I'm sorry to say but every live show these days feels half arsed. I'm sure it's technically challenging for the production crew but in terms of content it's very lacklustre.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm fortunate enough to have a (mostly) desk job where I have time most days to watch stuff at work. This enables me to watch every second of every piece of Giant Bomb content.

I've got a desk job but no real time for anything other than work. Home has obligations. My only real chance to consume close to all the content is when I take vacation and am not travelling and all my house stuff is done. All of those things are way better than GB content. GB content is to unwind and enjoy some free time. It is not a lifestyle or a hobby for me.

kcp12304

Banned
I don't believe that for a second.

I started watching GB when I was younger and had a lot more free time. I watched practically every video and I would often check the site for new content. Habitually refreshing the homepage.

Now I miss most Quicklooks, Livestreams, and I watch most Premium stuff months after they were filmed. I'm on Shenmue ER: Part 4 and will slowly chip away at it for many weeks.

There's this thing called "they make enough content for me". (I consume everything they put out, mind you, except for The Best of). At the moment I don't have anything to watch or listen to when it comes to GB but man do I have fuck tons of games I'm going through and films that I'm buying from time to time.

Having said that, I'm also the type of guy that has disposable income so maybe them not making enough premium content (which I don't know what enough is enough) doesn't stand out as much to me like it does for other people. At the same time though, discussions and critiquing are always welcome I feel(after all this is the OT and a discussion forum). We all are here because most of us have been following the guys for a long ass while(GS days, start of GB.etc) and we love GB and the duders which is why we want everything concerning GB to be the very best it can be, to fulfill the full potential it has. Everything has a reason for being the way it is, i'm sure and such is life. As long as they're not forced into doing something but do it because they enjoy doing it then that's great.

I do think some people here mistake the jokes other people make and take them as personal insults which is why I don't indulge in such jokes but I do find it amusing haha.

Turns out it was today and not tomorrow, sweet.

Quick Look: Super Mario Run
VIDEO ON DEC 15, 2016 10:00 AM

Nicee, coming up section has pics again.

Rlan

If they could commit to a Demo Derby, Ranking of Fighters & Game Tapes every month, I'd be happy. They've been slipping though.

Can't believe that Jeff still thinks that the console generation game is so shook that there is no guarantee of a PS5. I can't speak for the Scorpio, but the Pro is clearly a mid-generation luxury device (that has actually been said by Andrew House) and there will absolutely be a PS5. I would say in either 2020 or 2021.

Joeku

putting-gun-to-head.gif

Not yet 30, and it's been ten years of my life. A whooooole lot of going nowhere.

Gurrry

Can't believe that Jeff still thinks that the console generation game is so shook that there is no guarantee of a PS5. I can't speak for the Scorpio, but the Pro is clearly a mid-generation luxury device (that has actually been said by Andrew House) and there will absolutely be a PS5. I would say in either 2020 or 2021.

Felt the same way. PS5 will absolutely happen. Look at how many consoles were sold this generation.

Consoles arent going anywhere, yet.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I do think some people here mistake the jokes other people make and take them as personal insults which is why I don't indulge in such jokes but I do find it amusing haha.

The "jokes" bother me because they're one way. Brad isn't in on them. If he played into them or even acknowledged that they didn't bother him, it would be different.

If I constantly insulted someone I didn't know, I couldn't just play it off like a joke each time. If I know them and we mutually give each other shit, it's different. In this case, it's the former. Do you ever wonder why Brad and Vinny handle the thread different? Hint, it's because you treat one like shit.

There's so many things to joke about with GB, why resort to shitty comments about people as a major source of humor?

Edit: not you specifically.

the past two weeks have been the only time this year i've been able to watch all the videos i want to watch

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'd say I barely have any time for their videos nowadays but I listen to about 8 hours of bombcasts/beastcasts per weekday.

I'd say I barely have any time for their videos nowadays but I listen to about 8 hours of bombcasts/beastcasts per weekday.

Same. And for some reason I keep the first three years of Bombcasts on a permanent loop on my phone's podcast app. The original crew were just so fucking funny. It will never be matched.

The shows I enjoy the most rarely come up, so there are weeks where nothing from the premium content interests me, but I enjoy that it's there whenever I have time to fill. Some weeks I won't watch anything at all, except UPF, so there's always a backlog whenever I'm super bored. I don't realy enjoy the Beastcast either, so I don't partake unless I'm commuting more than usual on a particular week, or have a flight to get through.

But at any rate, I pay $35 a year because I always re-up on sales and that seems like a more than fair exchange for what I get throughout the year.

fstop

Neo Member

I moved from retail to a cushy IT gig where I ultimately worked from home and got paid a lot to babysit the cool stuff I'd once built. It became soul-crushing in its own way; I was content-starved on all fronts. Part of me still thinks about retail fondly.

BTW, I finally got one of those GB surveys folks were talking about a while back. Nothing about the volume or quality of content, just a question about why you subscribed with answers like 'exclusive videos' and lack of ads.

Bacon

Yeah podcasts are pretty much all I can keep up with these days on my commute. Videos don't really fit in with studying and working and socializing. I do miss the days when I could watch many hours of giantbomb a week but that's not possible for me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom