• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

It's cute that people are still pretending like the things they send to the crew are just a bunch of spares they found in the garage

In hottest mess maybe.

Yeah that PC launch was a shame, especially since it was an exclusive.

Tbh though, the framerate issues were not as serious in this specific case for me because it's a turn based game. I still have it on my top 10 this year.

Ironically, the first XCOM was the biggest landslide GOTY victory in Giantbomb history. I think the GOTY discussion that year was about 5 minutes.

XCOM2 at #8 for Gamespot. Will it be talked about for more than 8 seconds during the GB GotY podcasts?
I doubt it. Will it even be mentioned? Like, aside from the awful performance at launch, it's a superb addition to the franchise.

But then, XCOM 2 made the mortal sin of being a sequel to XCOM: EU. Now... I don't mean just an iteration, but a response to everything that XCOM: EU and Enemy Within are. It's designed for people that have played the former, with a difficulty curve that, I imagine, will turn off a lot of people straightaway, particularly if they weren't into XCOM.

As much of a shame as this will be during this end of year stuff, the actual game we got was worth that sort of sacrifice, I think.

This has been a really nice return-to-form year for Firaxis, actually. Between XCOM 2 and Civ6, they're back to strategy kings.

Xater

I doubt it. Will it even be mentioned? Like, aside from the awful performance at launch, it's a superb addition to the franchise.

But then, XCOM 2 made the mortal sin of being a sequel to XCOM: EU. Now... I don't mean just an iteration, but a response to everything that XCOM: EU and Enemy Within are. It's designed for people that have played the former, with a difficulty curve that, I imagine, will turn off a lot of people straightaway, particularly if they weren't into XCOM.

As much of a shame as this will be during this end of year stuff, the actual game we got was worth that sort of sacrifice, I think.

This has been a really nice return-to-form year for Firaxis, actually. Between XCOM 2 and Civ6, they're back to strategy kings.

XCOM 2 barely didn't make it into my GOTY list for 2 reasons:

1. The console ports are kinda bad.

2. The amount of timed missions is way too high. I get that this is their way of countering super defensive play, but at some point it just got on my nerves.

It is a really good game, but those points kept it out of my top 10.

I sadly have not played enough of Civ6 but what I have played was pretty dope.

2907156-0590731659-assas.jpg

Giant Bombcast 461: Movie Theater Ghosts
Our last regular podcast of the year sees us catching up on Q4 games, reminiscing about movie theater memories, musing about the latest Switch leaks, walking down Agent 47's memory lane, and digging through a big old pile of emails.

Strax

I loved XCOM:EU and the time pressure element stopped me from playing the game. If it had been something like a New Game+ or something like that I would've been all over XCOM 2

I loved XCOM:EU and the time pressure element stopped me from playing the game. If it had been something like a New Game+ or something like that I would've been all over XCOM 2

Save scumming fixes all those problems. I never really ran into issues where I was failing because of the timer.The game is extremely punishing but it's extremely fun to upgrade your dudes and make them insanely powerful.

Ashby

People like Alex who I know are very anti-GG sure are dunking on Brianna Wu running for Congress. I guess I missed her heel turn.

Xcom2 wins sword of the year
Hitman wins axe of the year

Xcom's sword is trash yo.

Dishonored 2, Dying Light: The following, TMS, Twilight Princess, Hyper Light Drifter, Superhot, Furi, Monster Hunter Generations, Overwatch, Shadow Warrior 2, Titanfall 2, all vastly better swords.

Scizzy

A lot of weird mockery of Brad's intention to do his stream when he's probably done more Extra Life hours than anyone else on staff.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
A lot of weird mockery of Brad's intention to do his stream when he's probably done more Extra Life hours than anyone else on staff.

I don't need to come in here and clown on people who snark at the idea of me spending 24 hours of my Christmas break raising money for sick kids, do I? They've already clowned themselves, right?

Though since I'm already here: what do I do all day GOD.

I don't need to come in here and clown on people who snark at the idea of me spending 24 hours of my Christmas break raising money for sick kids, do I? They've already clowned themselves, right?

Play Hitman Blood Money.

Looking forward to it, ignore the haters!

Anario

Neo Member

ruddslogo.jpg

Maybe, although it's probably terrible, you could check out Rollercoaster Dreams? It came out today on PS4 and has a PSVR mode (it's $19.99). It's a theme park manager game where you can ride the rides (in VR!). Though I'm sure getting potentially queasy is the last thing you'd want to do on an all day stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom