• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Alexis playing if he feels sick? Just stop dude.

vfdcTd5.gif

#ForTheKids

imBask

Banned
i'll take eye tests over stats when it comes to this, but I do expect Bakalar to join the NeoGAF list of "anti-sony people"

I watched episode 1 of Planet Earth before work and the time to baby animal being eaten by pray is a lot shorter then I expected.

That's mother nature for ya. Also good god is it a very pretty documentary.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
"Clueless CNET". Stop being so predictable Gaming side. They don't know Bakalar by name yet, though.

I don't know how sensitive Jeff is to frame rates, but I feel like the difference is more significant to people that are. Digital Foundry is really the place to go for a product of this nature.

It's an interesting scenario because the CPU is only overclocked a bit over the original, so only games that are significantly GPU bound will end up seeing a bump from say 30 to 60. I don't know how many titles are so GPU bound on consoles. It's common on PC with CPUs that are orders of magnitude more powerful but the consoles are more balanced in that regard. However, I do expect more stable target framerates though due to the overclock and the extra GPU grunt as long as they don't overdo the visual enhancements. Regardless, based on specs, this device was built for resolution bumps, not really significant framerate bumps.

It's an interesting scenario because the CPU is only overclocked a bit over the original, so only games that are significantly GPU bound will end up seeing a bump from say 30 to 60. I don't know how many titles are so GPU bound on consoles. It's common on PC with CPUs that are orders of magnitude more powerful but the consoles are more balanced in that regard. However, I do expect more stable target framerates though due to the overclock and the extra GPU grunt as long as they don't overdo the visual enhancements.

Ah, I didn't know that about the CPU.

If I do end up getting the Pro, it will be for Uncharted, The Last of Us, and (maybe) The Last Guardian. I'll probably play using the upscaled 60 fps mode for the games that let you pick.

Strax

While I can't speak on the PS4 Pro and what Jeff has said about the thing I think most people can't discern between graphics unless there is a huuuuge change. I'm willing to bet that most people (non-gamers) would not notice a difference between GTAV on PS3 and GTAV on PS4 unless they were told beforehand about it.

I've often watched movies at my friends houses and they put on some terrible DVDrip and when I asked them about it they say its great looking.

Also on a TV that's in vivid mode with the soap opera effect.

Also this.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not as painful as the PS4 Pro talk on the last Beastcast which was no better than the garbage coming out of IGN three years ago.

zgySyRI.gif
Nah, it was better. They never claimed they knew what they were talking about on the Beastcast. But it was still pretty bad how uninformed they were. Especially since they were at the actual reveal in person.

daveo42

Banned
I would say GBeast is way more interested in the gameplay aspect of games as opposed to the graphical fidelity. Bakalar included. I think the major issue is how uniformed they are when covering stuff like this. I will agree with the idea that you don't really need to pick up a Pro if you are perfectly fine with playing on 1080p and aren't adverse to or aware of lower frame rates.

I would say GBeast is way more interested in the gameplay aspect of games as opposed to the graphical fidelity. Bakalar included. I think the major issue is how uniformed they are when covering stuff like this. I will agree with the idea that you don't really need to pick up a Pro if you are perfectly fine with playing on 1080p and aren't adverse to or aware of lower frame rates.

I love the man but Vinny is a bit of a graphics whore.

StoveOven

Banned

But as somebody who is similarly a "common man" when it comes to things like graphical fidelity, an eye test from Backalar is way more useful to me than a huge technical analysis from Digital Foundry. I think a lot of people in the review thread just can't accept that these reviews are serving different audiences.

daveo42

Banned
I love the man but Vinny is a bit of a graphics whore.

Then he should at least try to be more informed when it comes to these kinds of hardware bumps.

But as somebody who is similarly a "common man" when it comes to things like graphical fidelity, an eye test from Backalar is way more useful to me than a huge technical analysis from Digital Foundry. I think a lot of people in the review thread just can't accept that these reviews are serving different audiences.

Which works for most, just not on a site like NeoGAF. Also, as Pizza states, fanboys still continue to be a thing in this, the best time to be playing games.

kiguel182

Technical analysis from Digital Foundry on graphics stuff just leaves me with "I barely notice that when playing the game". Frame-rate is important but most of the graphical effects they talk about are negligible for me when in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom