• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Zaph

Jeff is joining IGN

I don't know why Austin is shitting on Horizon. It's a really big game. Big games are hard to make.

HKUSCKA.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NitW is quirky but it's kinda fucking dark. Mae is kind of a wreck.

Mae is one of the more unfortunately relateable characters
I don't know why Austin is shitting on Horizon. It's a really big game. Big games are hard to make.

Fair point. I mean games are hard and who knows how many people that happened to. I say we keep it.

I don't remember anything like this. Got an example?

The second fight with
Jack

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I mean, I haven't played Horizon, but a big game doesn't mean "a good game". You can make a huge game world that's not interesting at all from a gameplay perspective and/or story perspective, or you can make a tiny one that's amazing on all levels.

If you're not into the Farcry/Ubisoft style of big, open worlds, you can totally relate to what he said. Regardless of how technically impressive the overalll deal is.

edit

° <- point
\o/ <- me

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, I haven't played Horizon, but a big game doesn't mean "a good game". You can make a huge game world that's not interesting at all from a gameplay perspective and/or story perspective, or you can make a tiny one that's amazing on all levels.

If you're not into the Farcry/Ubisoft style of big, open worlds, you can totally relate to what he said. Regardless of how technically impressive the overalll deal is.

He's making fun of Austin's defense of Fallout 4

Horizon. It's on the podcast, he basically consider Horizon to be way too restrictive in how different interactions are delivered - specific spots for climbing, specific areas for exposition, and so on - and considers Breath of the Wild to offer far more in terms of player expression and organic storytelling.

hmm I think I'm going with Zelda over Horizon. Pick up Horizon when it's cheaper, or maybe do that target sale.

What are people supposed to call them other than their name?

Just indies is fine.

Horizon. It's on the podcast, he basically consider Horizon to be way too restrictive in how different interactions are delivered - specific spots for climbing, specific areas for exposition, and so on - and considers Breath of the Wild to offer far more in terms of player expression and organic storytelling.

It's hard to summarise, but it's basically about how much more rewarding the exploration of Zelda is compared to horizon, how much more emergent the world is, and how the game rewards you for playing around with us mechanics.

Listen to the latest waypoint for a deeper discussion.

Austin nuked Horizon hard. Basically he said in Horizon everything felt simple, even in the big open world. Like he was looking for yellow handholds to climb up, or some "emergent" scenarios seemed almost scripted. Whereas with Zelda, there's a constant thought of "Wait can I do this?" or "Well what's over there?" and every time he's rewarded for exploring with either a puzzle, an item, or something else cool. It makes sense, Horizon and Zelda are taking different things from Far Cry. Horizon is taking the overall structure and template from Far Cry, while Zelda is taking the systems focus. And Austin is all about systems. Zelda is basically Far Cry 2 on speed with Nintendo polish and world design

Good ol fashioned ether, I'll give the podcast a listen.

oti

Banned
Austin liking Zelda more is no surprise. Zelda sounds like a polished Far Cry 2 when it comes to mechanics density and how deep those mechanics go. Horizon is just a pretty open world Ubisoft game with a surprisingly good story.
Huh Jeff really wasn't wrong about Disc Jam going for that Rocket League tactics
I looked up the game's title on YouTube. The first page is full of "is this the new Rocket League?" videos. That's clearly the narrative here. Smart by the developers.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, persona 4 is still better. I like the Yakuza series but whenever something cool happens there's too many proclamations of "this is a great videogame" "I'm going to like this series" etc. etc. which yeah I get it but it isn't exactly an interesting thing really, whereas vinny and jeff are so good at riffing with each other.

Maybe it's just a weird thing to be bothered by, I dunno.

ev0

Persona 4 and BiTE (well technically Mary) are the two GB playthroughs that made me start playing the games I had previous no interest in

Its gonna be a weird day if disc jam becomes popular like rocket league and Dotemu puts out windjammers later and people say "what is this horrible looking disc jam ripoff" :/

Nah, persona 4 is still better. I like the Yakuza series but whenever something cool happens there's too many proclamations of "this is a great videogame" "I'm going to like this series" etc. etc. which yeah I get it but it isn't exactly an interesting thing really, whereas vinny and jeff are so good at riffing with each other.

Maybe it's just a weird thing to be bother by, I dunno.

The worst thing about Yakuza 0 is that it's almost too good.

Fobwashed

Best content ever made on Giant Bomb. Well maybe Persona 4 was comparable.

I couldn't make it thru all of Metal Gear Scanlon V because of the amount of just open world roaming that was going on in that game and I'm a bit worried I may have the same issue with Yakuza when they get further into it. That being said, so far, the series is REALLY good. This is a great mix of personalities and Yakuza seems to be a really good game filled with just super dumb great stuff and also a solid story.

I couldn't make it thru all of Metal Gear Scanlon V because of the amount of just open world roaming that was going on in that game and I'm a bit worried I may have the same issue with Yakuza when they get further into it. That being said, so far, the series is REALLY good. This is a great mix of personalities and Yakuza seems to be a really good game filled with just super dumb great stuff and also a solid story.

Well with Yakuza you're dealing with more of hub than a big giant open world. So while you can roam the hub and do a bunch a side stuff, it's always easy to just pop back into the main story stuff super quickly. The way the guys are playing now where they are basically running to the objective and interacting with any side stuff that happens to come across them along the way should continue to work as they get further into it.

Giever

There really is not much open-world aimless roaming in Yakuza 0. It's a pretty tight map and you'll stumble into sub-stories or mini-games pretty easily. And if there aren't any, then the next story beat is nearby and probably pretty gripping. Once they get the money-throwing mechanic it'll be easier to avoid pointless random battles, too.

AngryMoth

Finished Yakuza 0. Boy that's a game, beast crew are in for a hell of a ride. I actually think it won't take them as long as I first thought. Took me 40 hours and I did all the obvious sub stories I found and way more of the real estate/cabaret stuff than I assume they'll do since that stuff isn't really very good for the camera. Could see them doing it in 15 episodes.

Finished Yakuza 0. Boy that's a game, beast crew are in for a hell of a ride. I actually think it won't take them as long as I first thought. Took me 40 hours and I did all the obvious sub stories I found and way more of the real estate/cabaret stuff than I assume they'll do since that stuff isn't really very good for the camera. Could see them doing it in 15 episodes.

I don't want to finish this game. I'm enjoying it too much. I'll probably finish it this week though because everytime I progress abit I'm like "alright, this is it, it's gonna end" but nope. Shit's insane and while I find the combat in the other games much better, the story and everything that surrounds it is still top fucking notch.

OMG They actually go into the Pawn Shop and they don't sell the plates

they got those plates, recognized that they could sell them, knew they had to clear inventory space, and found a pawn shop.

they then threw all the plates into storage

it's totally fine tho, you get so much cash in that game lol

Top Bottom