• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsigo

Question about Ryan (spoilers since it's still a fresh wound)

Was an official cause of death ever announced?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm trying to figure out if Alien Rage actually looks decent, or if it just looks okay because I haven't played a shooter in a while and need to get my hands on one.

FStop7

Banned
I just finished UPF and I can see why Rorie was hating that FMV game. It was god awful. And they're seriously going to charge money for new episodes?

That said, he could have not acted out in such a way on camera. I wonder if he was just as bad when he reviewed films for a living.

tsigo

I just finished UPF and I can see why Rorie was hating that FMV game. It was god awful. And they're seriously going to charge money for new episodes?

That said, he could have not acted out in such a way on camera. I wonder if he was just as bad when he reviewed films for a living.

He strikes me as a guy who doesn't like movies; he likes films.

GolazoDan

If the rules were get ball in net, then anyone could grasp it in seconds.

The rules have gotten more complicated (with good reason) through the years and everyone just assumes you know them with no explanation.

If you don't know what offsides is or how to prevent it, Fifa ain't gonna explain shit to you. Same with "proper tackling". You can probably pick it up pretty quick, but missing that in your first game is pretty understandable if you don't watch soccer ever, come on.
Offsides are okay to not understand, lots of people don't get that. To be honest there's enough intricacies and caveats to that particular rule that they might be lost on you. I don't think FIFA does a terrible job of explaining it in its most rudimentary form though, they put two massive lines on the screen, one on the attacker and one on the last defender.

Tackling stuff's also explained in the skill games which I think do a pretty good job of the basics. That's just general advice for any newcomers to the game, in the case of Giant Bomb quick looks I'm not too bothered because I watch them expecting to see (and enjoying them) fumbling around these games, :-D

I have actually tried a few American sports games myself in the last few years. NHL games seem pretty cool, I quite enjoy hockey and can spot a few similarities between it and football (hey they both have wingers). Madden was largely incomprehensible but I imagine my confusion over various plays you can do is similar to someone else's confusion over what a 4-2-3-1 formation is.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Pretty unrelated to GB, but this UPF is like the 5th time they've mentioned a "bring your dog to work" day. IDK if Vinny was joking or not about being allergic to dogs, but I am super allergic to just about all furred/feathered animals. Puppies are cute and everything, but I would be downright pissed if there were a bunch of dogs walking around my workplace and shedding their stupid hair and getting their poison dander all up in my breathable air.

Did everyone in the building agree on this show-a-pet thing before the first one? There are some small companies out there that have a mascot-style dog in the office regularly, but I've never known a company to just allow random pets, even if it were only a day-long event.

edit: Dog has legit pissed me off now that he made us miss drew's first confirmed hit. Or maybe Rorie and his dog fetish are to blame.

Pretty unrelated to GB, but this UPF is like the 5th time they've mentioned a "bring your dog to work" day. IDK if Vinny was joking or not about being allergic to dogs, but I am super allergic to just about all furred/feathered animals. Puppies are cute and everything, but I would be downright pissed if there were a bunch of dogs walking around my workplace and shedding their stupid hair and getting their poison dander all up in my breathable air.

Did everyone in the building agree on this show-a-pet thing before the first one? There are some small companies out there that have a mascot-style dog in the office regularly, but I've never known a company to just allow random pets, even if it were only a day-long event.

My impression was that there was a Area for dogs and the rest dependend of the staff of the area.

Offsides are okay to not understand, lots of people don't get that. To be honest there's enough intricacies and caveats to that particular rule that they might be lost on you. I don't think FIFA does a terrible job of explaining it in its most rudimentary form though, they put two massive lines on the screen, one on the attacker and one on the last defender.

Tackling stuff's also explained in the skill games which I think do a pretty good job of the basics. That's just general advice for any newcomers to the game, in the case of Giant Bomb quick looks I'm not too bothered because I watch them expecting to see (and enjoying them) fumbling around these games, :-D

I have actually tried a few American sports games myself in the last few years. NHL games seem pretty cool, I quite enjoy hockey and can spot a few similarities between it and football (hey they both have wingers). Madden was largely incomprehensible but I imagine my confusion over various plays you can do is similar to someone else's confusion over what a 4-2-3-1 formation is.

I don't know shit about soccer, just that I own a vuvuzela and I blew that shit through the whole world cup.

I also will never understand how you get a corner kick.

Hockey is awesome because you can fight people.

And yeah I don't know how anyone is supposed to learn American Football. I know the rules, but I don't know how anyone else figured it out.

Rorie is the Cliff of Giant Bomb

cliff_claven.jpg

He states some incorrect stuff but he says it with such conviction you would assume he is right.

Xater

I'd prolly get placebo-allergies just knowing there are pets around. I picture their dander getting into the air vents, immediately contaminating the whole building

I have some hardcore allergies and being around dogs for too long makes it hard for me to breathe. I basically have allergic asthma. So a day where people bring their dogs to work would be nothing for me.

I love dogs, I just physically can't be around them. :(

Xater

I don't know shit about soccer, just that I own a vuvuzela and I blew that shit through the whole world cup.

I also will never understand how you get a corner kick.

Hockey is awesome because you can fight people.

And yeah I don't know how anyone is supposed to learn American Football. I know the rules, but I don't know how anyone else figured it out.

You don't get a corner kick? Seriously? When the you shoot at the other teams end of the field and that team touches the ball before it goes out you get a corner kick. It's not really that much different from a throw in.

Haunted

Fantastic job playing Mirrormoon EP, Drew. Such a great looking, intriguing exploration game.

The bewilderment of the Gamespot guy "there's no tutorial!?" in the background was pretty embarrassing/hilarious. :lol

The game tells you what to do, it just doesn't tell you what to do. Any more tutorialising than what's in there and the impact is lessened. Good stuff.

I'm trying to figure out if Alien Rage actually looks decent, or if it just looks okay because I haven't played a shooter in a while and need to get my hands on one.
I think "decent" is spot on. It's one of those ok-ish, unspectacular PC shooters that are just thrown on the market without much marketing or fanfare every couple weeks. This one definitely has better graphics than the usual efforts (though maybe that's just the current baseline for a shooter in 2013, it's hard to tell).

You don't get a corner kick? Seriously? When the you shoot at the other teams end of the field and that team touches the ball before it goes out you get a corner kick. It's not really that much different from a throw in.

So how come you get a throw in sometimes, and sometimes a corner kick? I assumed it had something to do with where the ball went out, like just at the back end vs the sides.

Rapstah

So how come you get a throw in sometimes, and sometimes a corner kick? I assumed it had something to do with where the ball went out, like just at the back end vs the sides.

Long sides it's thrown in by the team that didn't touch the ball last.

Short sides it's kicked out by the goalie if the goalie's team didn't touch the ball last.
Otherwise it's a corner kick for the team that didn't touch the ball last.

This way there can only be a corner by the non-corner-kicking team's goal.

When I picked up my first FIFA game I didn't know any of the rules and I've physically played many sports competitively. I pretty much figured out it's like hockey but not as fun.
It's like wider and longer hockey. Half hockey, half golf. I've grown to prefer kickball these past few years due to its slower, more setupy pace.

Granted I haven't played a hockey game in a long time. Gretzky and Lemieux ought to be slower nowadays. Might give NHL14 a shot.

Xater

Exactly, you get a throw in on the sides and a corner kick at the end. Really not complicated.

Zaph

That Arma III QL is perfection.

Was fully surreal to hear those guys on voice comms obviously be gamers but not recognise the Giant Bomb name. Guess there is a world outside our little echo-chamber...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That Arma III QL is perfection.

Was fully surreal to hear those guys on voice comms obviously be gamers but not recognise the Giant Bomb name. Guess there is a world outside our little echo-chamber...
"Giant Bomb's at it again!"

If it were anyone but Drew piloting the QL they would have griefed the hell out of that guy, haha.

wizard

Banned
It's like wider and longer hockey. Half hockey, half golf. I've grown to prefer kickball these past few years due to its slower, more setupy pace.

Granted I haven't played a hockey game in a long time. Gretzky and Lemieux ought to be slower nowadays. Might give NHL14 a shot.

I'd skip 14 or pick up 13. They broke the AI in 14 and the new stick handling system is janky.

I will buy 14 eventfully just for the roster, can't stand not having the right rosters especially by the TDL.

Exactly, you get a throw in on the sides and a corner kick at the end. Really not complicated.

It's not, but the whole thing started about how people should know soccer rules already, or at least pick them up really quickly. I wouldn't say I've watched a lot of soccer (two world cups, some womens in their little championship thing, some olympics) but I had no clue what the specifics were for a corner kick.

Curufinwe

I've been eating Steak-umms ever since I got to America 10 and a half years ago. For a quick lunch, they are not bad at all. I fry them, then put them in a Panini-pressed sandwich with cheese and french fried onions.

Mr. F

Banned
Bombin in the AM is a pretty good show, but it's starting to grate on me the way Patrick describes everything as either 'fascinating' or 'interesting.' Never noticed it as much until this last episode.

FStop7

Banned
The problem is that they are so fatty that you practically fill a pan with grease by cooking just a few of those relatively thin slices. If they were better quality it'd be different.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Well it's always either local car dealership commercials, food like steakumms and eggland's best eggs, and tons and tons of pharmaceuticals.

Zoggy

is alex the only one who reviews games because thats the only way he can get paid?

how does GB work?

are patrick and alex still on GB's payroll even though they're not in the office?

who else is officially under GB's payroll?

jeff
vinny
drew
brad

what is rorie? intern or full time paid staff?

is that all? + alex and patrick

is alex the only one who reviews games because thats the only way he can get paid?

how does GB work?

are patrick and alex still on GB's payroll even though they're not in the office?

who else is officially under GB's payroll?

jeff
vinny
drew
brad

what is rorie? intern or full time paid staff?

is that all? + alex and patrick

its all charity work required by law after that court case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom