• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
tumblr_mxmn7trwRO1qeuiqyo10_250.gif
I thought the goatee was a phase for him, but I guess it's permanent now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He follows the Wolpaw law though, so if he doesn't like the first few moments he won't stick the rest of the way through.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
He follows the Wolpaw law though, so if he doesn't like the first few moments he won't stick the rest of the way through.

As much as I love Erik Wolpaw, that law is the stupidest thing. If you made snap judgements on slow-burn media, you'd end up missing out on half the great content that is out there. The first episode of The Wire isn't exactly mindblowing.

Kerned

Banned
As much as I love Erik Wolpaw, that law is the stupidest thing. If you made snap judgements on slow-burn media, you'd end up missing out on half the great content that is out there. The first episode of The Wire isn't exactly mindblowing.

True that. In fact, I would say that the first 4 or 5 episodes of The Wire are pretty dull, but once you get past that hump... holy shit.

Lunzio

I love GOTY stuff but I really wish I didn't get the feeling that most of the crew loathes doing the content. :(

Wolpaw law is interesting. I think it would be kind of ignorant to say that after putting a couple of hours into TLoU that it's not satisfying, meanwhile DoTA 2 requires much, much more time to ever feel like a worthwhile investment of time - and even then we know how disparaging that can be (Hey, Daily DoTA?).

Stealth in TLOU is probably one of the few times I didnt hate it.

It has that Batman Arkham thing of making you feel like a badass more then anything. It was a smart move on ND's part to make the zombies blind and make it more about sound.

I guess if you are a crazy person and are trying to stealth your way through it or you only played the first 3 hours and saw that one stealth sequence hiding from humans and thought the rest of the game was like that...

I think passive media like TV is much easier in that sense, as you can get through the slow start while doing something else (such as browsing NeoGAF). A game requires - at least from me - full attention, so if a game doesn't do anything to grab me in the first hour or so I'm very likely to just not bother with it anymore.
I love GOTY stuff but I really wish I didn't get the feeling that most of the crew loathes doing the content. :(
The content of Giant Bomb's GOTY stuff is all the weird shit they do, and I doubt they loathe doing that.

erawsd

I just listened to the Podcast and I don't get why everyone thinks Vinny is in love with TLOU. Everytime I've heard him talk about it, its all love for the story but he doesn't seem to have enjoyed the gameplay.

Considering all the butthurt and accusations of him being an "xbot" over the past few months, its pretty funny that Brad may end up being the guy to go to bat for TLOU.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
If a game has some quirky aspects to it, chances are Jeff won't like it, and chances are he'll call you a crazy person for liking it. That has been the case since I started following GB. Calling him out on his opinions isn't going to win him over, and also who really cares? I think it would be cool if he took Pat's approach and sunk hours into a game like Monster Hunter or something else he doesn't think he likes, to challenge his own ideas about those types of games, but it also doesn't really matter if he doesn't.

denshuu

Again I will say: If you think The Last of Us is a Stealth game, you haven't played more than the first couple of hours of it.

I've played it to completion. It's a stealth game. The only reason it stopped being a stealth game for me halfway through was because I got bored with the stealth mechanics and just wanted to bulldoze through the encounters to see more of the story.

Haunted

I despise slow-paced stealth games so I put TLoU on easy after a couple hours and shot everyone; you get enough ammo throughout the game to make that viable.

I thought it was great, but didn't like it as much as Uncharted. Had I played it as a pure stealth game, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it less/ranked it lower.

kiyomi

I think it's more to do with the way they have to grind out a few games at the end of the year when they realise there's stuff they haven't played. I'm not sure I'd want to force myself to finish a bunch of games in the span of a month either, honestly.

True that. In fact, I would say that the first 4 or 5 episodes of The Wire are pretty dull, but once you get past that hump... holy shit.

Damn right. I keep having to say (a little bit like you and Saint with TLOU) to get through the early part because the pay off down the road is sublime. Still the only TV programme where I have marathoned whole series in a day. (Archer doesn't count)

Zaph

But how often do you play a game and completely do a 180 after the first few hours of play? Sure some otherwise great games might not have a fantastic opener, but if you really aren't into it, it's rare for a game to win you over. Plus, with so many other great games out there, you have to draw the line somewhere and move on.

Binary Domain is the only game in recent history I can think of where I really disliked the first hour(ish) but went on to love the game.

Wolpaw might not be a constant, but it's a pretty good law.

Risible

Again I will say: If you think The Last of Us is a Stealth game, you haven't played more than the first couple of hours of it.

Also Patrick's beard looks great, if only for the fact that it represents a definite change in my mind from Patrick being kind of forgettable to being a very charming dude.

The problem with his goatee is that it looks like something a 15 year old grows to appear older. Dude would be better off just embracing the fact that he has a puppy face.

Recall

GOTY podcasts are just highlighting the bad points and which ever has the most tolerable or least amount of flaws, wins. When it comes down to picking the actual game of the year it sounds like they hate the games rather than love them then the more they berate the other choice the less they sound like worthy games.

ALBW is probably the one choice for GOTY this year that I don't think anyone would fuck with. I've yet to see any different opinion emerging on that game, really.

Kerned

Banned
The problem with his goatee is that it looks like something a 15 year old grows to appear older. Dude would be better off just embracing the fact that he has a puppy face.

Yeah, I think that as he gets older he may start to appreciate how young he looks. I'm 37 and look much, much younger (people often think I'm in my early to mid twenties). I love it, and I'm certainly not trying to do anything to look any older. People being visibly surprised when they check my ID for alcohol will never get old.

I am starting to rather rapidly go grey though, which definitely breaks the illusion somewhat.

LCfiner

If Patrick wants to look older (not saying he does) he only needs to change the hair. it’s curly and youthful looking. dude would need to shorten it, throw a ton of shit in it and comb it back.

but, really, who wants to do that?

Zaph

Oh wow, no idea Rich Gallup had a new podcast with Ben Coello (guy who used to animate Time Trotters). About dad stuff, like the Tested one.

Rich's intro instantly brought back the Hotspot days.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Based on playtime alone pokemon X Y would be GOTY for me.

Also holy crap, antichamber came out this year? How time flies...

Teddified

The only thing Jeff hates as much as stealth games is shaky RE4 style aiming.

The gameplay in The Last of Us has absolutely nothing to offer him.

I can see that, though I suppose I didn't notice it too much since it was the first Upgrade I finished, that and Health were probably the ones I found most important.

id be totally fine with a big video just shitting on end of year awards and how theyre just the pr departments getting free advertising and box art from the press for free and just awarding the whole thing to windjammers

Zocano

I thought the goatee was a phase for him, but I guess it's permanent now.

I really hoped he wouldn't keep it. I honestly think it doesn't look very good on him (but then again I don't think goatees look very good in general). Embrace the baby face, Patrick. Join us.

ryanmac

Banned
Oh wow, no idea Rich Gallup had a new podcast with Ben Coello (guy who used to animate Time Trotters). About dad stuff, like the Tested one.

Rich's intro instantly brought back the Hotspot days.

There is nothing more deflating than firing up my podcast app to find out this week's Tested show is a DadCast. Ah man!

LackingSaint

Neo Member
But how often do you play a game and completely do a 180 after the first few hours of play? Sure some otherwise great games might not have a fantastic opener, but if you really aren't into it, it's rare for a game to win you over. Plus, with so many other great games out there, you have to draw the line somewhere and move on.

Binary Domain is the only game in recent history I can think of where I really disliked the first hour(ish) but went on to love the game.

Wolpaw might not be a constant, but it's a pretty good law.

I don't often experience a complete 180 on a game. The Last of Us is one of those games. In fact, almost every single person i've talked to fits in to two categories: "I don't like it, and I haven't played past the first section" or "I love it, and I played the whole thing". I know a few people genuinely didn't enjoy it, but honestly it has become such a common trend to see people give up entirely on TLoU because they're not immediately stoked.

I've played it to completion. It's a stealth game. The only reason it stopped being a stealth game for me halfway through was because I got bored with the stealth mechanics and just wanted to bulldoze through the encounters to see more of the story.

How is it a Stealth game if you didn't utilize Stealth for half of the game? Past the first couple of hours, it's an action game that allows players to use stealth if they want to.

In fact, almost every single person i've talked to fits in to two categories: "I don't like it, and I haven't played past the first section" or "I love it, and I played the whole thing".

So what you're saying is, people who like a game play it longer than people who don't? Shocking.

Seriously, if I'm not getting paid for playing games I don't see a single reason to keep playing a game I don't enjoy, even if that means not being able to play the bit at the end that I would enjoy. I could be playing a game I like the whole time instead.

phuturist

Banned
I also do not think calling The Last Of Us a stealth game is correct. I would descripe the gameplay as survival.

Wether human or infected enemies, you always try to survive using everything you have, that is sneaking, melee, shooting or bottles to the head or any combination.

i hate how the internet has turned every game that gets better over time (sometimes for design reasons) into "terrible game that suddenly 180s into good after a trillion hours, i don't have time for that"

i haven't even played last of us, but it's annoying to see every game with even the slightest learning curve or burn treated like final fantasy xiii or dark souls

LackingSaint

Neo Member
So what you're saying is, people who like a game play it longer than people who don't? Shocking.

Seriously, if I'm not getting paid for playing games I don't see a single reason to keep playing a game I don't enjoy, even if that means not being able to play the bit at the end that I would enjoy. I could be playing a game I like the whole time instead.

Nice job completely misinterpreting my point and then getting snarky about it. I didn't like the first section of TLoU, and now I love the game. Brad didn't like the first section of TLoU, and now he loves the game. Most of my friends didn't like the first section of TLoU, and now love the game. The only friends i've talked to who don't like The Last of Us were too stubborn to push through the first section.

I'm guessing his wife likes it, pretty much all that matters lol

would be funny if he had to shave it off for a GOTY skit

Holy shit, what if there's a skit where a beardless Patrick shows up and it turns out the evil-beard-Patrick has kept good-shaven-Patrick locked up in his basement since he broke his collarbone?

eot

Banned
i hate how the internet has turned every game that gets better over time (sometimes for design reasons) into "terrible game that suddenly 180s into good after a trillion hours, i don't have time for that"

i haven't even played last of us, but it's annoying to see every game with even the slightest learning curve or burn treated like final fantasy xiii or dark souls

It's annoying to see that dark souls is treated like dark souls.

In other news, Jeff has pretty odd taste at times, imagine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom