• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

obonicus

i haven't even played last of us, but it's annoying to see every game with even the slightest learning curve or burn treated like final fantasy xiii or dark souls

Oh no, you just mentioned FFXIII and Dark Souls in the same breath, now we'll never hear the end of it.

I will say this about the top games of this year. They all can kind of fall appart if you think about them

GTAV was real inconsistent and its story just kind of randomly ended.
Bioshock still sucks as a shooter and its story was a clusterfuck.
TLOU is hard and some people dont like hard things.
3D Land is another one of those games.

Kerned

Banned
If you're already past Summer and you're still not into it, there is a good chance the game might just not be for you. I still recommend giving it a shot but yeah.

Out of interest, are you a fan of games similar to The Last of Us? How do you feel about Resident Evil 4 (which in my opinion TLoU is the evolution of)?

I liked RE4 when it was released, but I tried to play it again on the PS3 last year and discovered that I hated it. I know that opinion isn't going to win me a lot of friends around here, but I just couldn't get past the aiming. I think my change of heart is a result of me wanting and expecting different things out of games (like modern control schemes) here in 2013 than I did back then (it's me, RE4, not you).

Also, I don't want to give the impression that I totally hate TLOU or anything! I think it's okay, I just don't love it, I've yet to see what the big deal is, but I want to see what the big deal is. That doesn't mean I think it's total garbage, not by any means, just that the bad is outweighing the good for me so far. I don't have tons of time to play games these days, so if something isn't grabbing me I tend to move on. Actually, what I "moved on" to was my third playthrough of Dark Souls, which is one of my favorite games ever, so TLOU shouldn't feel too bad. :)

see5harp

I will say this about the top games of this year. They all can kind of fall appart if you think about them

You forgot to say Giant Bomb hates all things Sony.

demidar

I liked RE4 when it was released, but I tried to play it again on the PS3 last year and discovered that I hated it. I know that opinion isn't going to win me a lot of friends around here, but I just couldn't get past the aiming. I think my change of heart is a result of me wanting and expecting different things out of games (like modern control schemes) here in 2013 than I did back then (it's me, RE4, not you).

Also, I don't want to give the impression that I totally hate TLOU or anything! I think it's okay, I just don't love it, I've yet to see what the big deal is, but I want to see what the big deal is. That doesn't mean I think it's total garbage, not by any means, just that the bad is outweighing the good for me so far. I don't have tons of time to play games these days, so if something isn't grabbing me I tend to move on. Actually, what I "moved on" to was my third playthrough of Dark Souls, which is one of my favorite games ever, so TLOU shouldn't feel too bad. :)

Did you play RE4 with a PS3 controller?

The PS3 controller is total bunk for shooting games.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

I'm not quite sure how "It's hard" is a qualifier for a game falling apart.

Also I never ever have had a problem with the DS3. Probably the fact that I was a Sony kid has a lot to do with it, but it's really never bugged me. Now that I have a gaming PC though I definitely agree the 360 controller is a lot nicer, even if I keep getting confused which button is X.

TLOU is hard? It wasn't bad. I'd actually say my run on survivor was easier because I had gotten the hang of everything on my first playthrough.

Mario or Bioshock as GOTY is my bet
Mario would be my bet. Its a great game even if a lot of people are bored of Nintendo and that style of game right now its still inarguably a great game.

It would also fit with the "you people should buy a Wii U" story the games press keeps telling people.

People really shouldn't buy a Wii U though. The only potential for hope in its line up is Zelda and I would not be shocked if it ends up being cross gen with a rushed out the door Wii U follow up at the point when it arrives in 2015?

You forgot to say Giant Bomb hates all things Sony.

No need to state the obvious. Jeez

Mesoian

Mario would be my bet. Its a great game even if a lot of people are bored of Nintendo and that style of game right now its still inarguably a great game.

It would also fit with the "you people should buy a Wii U" story the games press keeps telling people.

People really shouldn't buy a Wii U though. The only potential for hope in its line up is Zelda and I would not be shocked if it ends up being cross gen with a rushed out the door Wii U follow up at the point when it arrives in 2015?

No need to state the obvious. Jeez

The WiiU has enough games to be worth the price of entry. Long term lifecycle of the console aside, having 5 AAA games that are truly excellent is more than enough reason to buy a game console. People buying PS4's for Resogun is the foolhardy thing right now.

ultron87

Brad's positive Last of Us tweets are just setting up the heel turn where he stabs it in the back at a critical moment of the deliberations to the benefit of Brothers.

who the hell said the last of us was hard

there was like one boss that kept killing me really quick and i think i might have cheesed him im not sure if i beat him in the "correct" way but other than that it never seemed hard to me...

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
Even if Last of Us isn't GOTY, I just don't understand people saying it was middling or bad. It's at least above average. To be fair, I loved it so I'm biased, but trying to look at it from an outsider perspective it's at least a very well made game

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Even if Last of Us isn't GOTY, I just don't understand people saying it was middling or bad. It's at least above average. To be fair, I loved it so I'm biased, but trying to look at it from an outsider perspective it's at least a very well made game

Eh, if you don't like zombie games, third-person shooters, games with a lot of cutscenes, games with stealth elements and/or slow-paced games in general, you're probably not going to like TLoU much. It has a fairly wide audience of people who would think it's fantastic (myself included), but I can totally understand a branch-off that doesn't think it's great. But i'm somebody who loves Resident Evil 4 so that gameplay style won me over from the start, all it needed to do at that point was keep the story interesting (which it CERTAINLY DID).

Dragon

Banned
who the hell said the last of us was hard

there was like one boss that kept killing me really quick and i think i might have cheesed him im not sure if i beat him in the "correct" way but other than that it never seemed hard to me...

So your first playthrough on hard with no listen mode was easy? Because yeah, mine wasn't, and I found it very intense. If you had listen mode on we don't need to even bother discussing it.

So your first playthrough on hard with no listen mode was easy? Because yeah, mine wasn't, and I found it very intense. If you had listen mode on we don't need to even bother discussing it.

sorry i didnt play the "right way"

i just pressed the start button and started playing

erawsd

Mario would be an awkward choice. No one has said anything bad about it but besides Patrick and Alex it doesn't sound like any of them actually want to play it.

KingKong

For the GotY stuff I think:
Jeff - Bioshock Infinite
Brad - Hard to say, Dota 2 is the obvious one but I don't know...(It's not Brothers and everybody will make stupid jokes because of it :p )
Vinny - Last of Us(?)
Alex - Mario
Patrick - Mario
Drew - I really don't know

I feel like there really haven't been a lot of games that the crew enjoyed THAT much, so I honestly don't expect a very heated discussion. I think Brad will be satisfied with Dota being among the Top 5 but he won't try for game of the year (I'm not even sure it'll be his game of the year)

Syndicate and now Bioshock Infinite, what is it about extremely mediocre shooters that Jeff likes so much?

I really liked TLoU and it will make my top ten but I am not comfortable giving GOTY to a game that I wished was over before it was over just because everyone thinks it moves a medium forward (to what, I wonder).

DoctorZ

And yet millions are able to play shooters on the PS3....huh. Both the DS3 and 360 controller are great for shooters.

Great is a stretch. Functional, yes. Millions play on the DS3 because its the best controller for the PS3. When people compare the 360 controller and DS3 the biggest difference is the triggers, or lack of triggers on the DS3. There's a reason many devs use R1/L1 for aim/shoot while on 360 its RT/LT.

Ah, you got me, it was systemic. I didn't know the word, so I heard systematic. It was from his TedX talk (ironically, considering what we talk about, called "A Survivor's Guide to Discourse in the Internet Age") so I didn't read it. My bad.

The word "misogynist" is still unprofessionally overdramatic, imho, and the "over 50% of gamers are women" statistic in the sentence right after that is bad journalism as well, for reasons I am sure we have all discussed before. (Not a whole lot of systemic misogynist game design on iOS and Facebook where those more than 50% mostly are)

But since my last post, I thought about how those "elite" print journalists write, and even when they report on straight up Neo Nazi cells, they avoid inflammatory words like "disgusting".
Patrick is one of the few journalists we have, and I want him to be more than that, I want him to be a really good one. In many cases he is, in some, I think, he stops being a journalist.
I haven't really analyzed his writing enough to say what the split between editorials and act l articles are, or indeed, if he editorializes in his articles. But you have a point if he does, insofar that in pure reporting articles, editorializing can weaken an otherwise good piece.

As for the word misogynist, that one is more debatable. Sexist might be more apt based on how one perceives intent in the industry. If he was discussing the gaming community (Xbox Live et. al.) then misogynist would be more apt, arguably.

Curufinwe

Great is a stretch. Functional, yes. Millions play on the DS3 because its the best controller for the PS3. When people compare the 360 controller and DS3 the biggest difference is the triggers, or lack of triggers on the DS3. There's a reason many devs use R1/L1 for aim/shoot while on 360 its RT/LT.

Buttons are better for shooting a videogame gun.

The DS3's triggers suck for racing games unless you buy the $5 Real Trigger attachments, but for firing a gun in a videogame a digital button is better than using an analog trigger.

DoctorZ

Buttons are better for shooting a videogame gun.

The DS3's triggers suck for racing games unless you buy the $5 Real Trigger attachments, but for firing a gun in a videogame a digital button is better than using an analog trigger.

Its more than just what is better in a technical sense. Sure a digital button should technically be a better solution to firing a gun in a game, but I much prefer the feel of the 360 triggers for aiming and shooting. I feel like many others would agree with this.

Jeff is talking a lot about the whole youtube thing on his mixlr today, sounds interesting from what I've been able to catch. Gonna listen to the archived version later (I'll put the link here).

Jeff saying Giantbomb needs to get bigger, they can't keep up what they're doing without burning out everyone on the staff. But doesn't want it to grow and become another gamespot. Wonder who's up for working for GB?

webrunner

Little Caesar's
KFC over Popeye's
Syndicate
Trackmania
Starbound (looked dull as dirt in the QL and UPF)

starbound's quick look was a "let's create a character and fumble" thing when they never even made a pickaxe so although it IS exemplary of a first time experience it is not what the game really is

Mesoian

Jeff saying Giantbomb needs to get bigger, they can't keep up what they're doing without burning out everyone on the staff. But doesn't want it to grow and become another gamespot. Wonder who's up for working for GB?

Sounds like they need a Giant Bomb East Coast Office.

Run by me...

DoctorZ

I feel like that's why I would rather see them just go all in on producing content they want to make that is fueled by video games, instead of trying to "cover" video games. There are so many places to get "coverage" online that they could easily cut out a lot of the stuff that they feel may burn them out.

They need to keep the site small, its why people go to GB. I'd be fine with adding someone as long as it didn't dilute the personalities they already have.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
starbound's quick look was a "let's create a character and fumble" thing when they never even made a pickaxe so although it IS exemplary of a first time experience it is not what the game really is

Is the game more than Terraria, yet? I played for about an hour and gave up around the time I was told to go find a cave to mine iron ore with my pickaxe.

And yes, I can confirm I am being officially hired as the Animation Director and Lead Editor and Face of GiantBomb UK along with Danny O'Dwyer and the cool scottish lady from Patrick's podcast.

Xater

They probably don#t need to grow a lot, 2-3 more guys or gals would probably help out a lot.

Zaph

Going by the lack of on-camera quality in most of GS's personalities (barring Watters), I imagine they have an iron grip on Danny.

Jeff is talking a lot about the whole youtube thing on his mixlr today, sounds interesting from what I've been able to catch. Gonna listen to the archived version later (I'll put the link here).
Hope he archives it, he hasn't for the last few. Wonder why he stopped tweeting Mixlr broadcasts too?

As much as I like Alex and Patrick, if letting them go meant hiring 2 or 3 more San Francisco editors, I think I'd be okay with that. They're great editors, but for me personally I go to GB for the in-studio content, not skype's, news, articles, trailers or reviews.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's obvious they need some more technical guys. Vinny and Drew having to pull double duty is probably not ideal. Just make Vinny appear on video for every video and leave the production stuff to somebody new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom