• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like that's what they're gonna do- low key stuff. But that's not to say they shouldn't do wacky stuff if they want to.

I feel like most of the wacky shit had stopped anyway when they moved under the CBS umbrella. Not to say CBS had anything to do with it, because I don't think they did. I just think GB has grown past that stuff.

Brads tweet about TLOU made it sound like he turned around on that game in a big way. Vinny has always loved the game, and Patrick/Alex would have no problem giving it GOTY. I think Jeff would be the only major obstacle fighting for Bioshock Infinite.

And you better hope he doesn't play it. I have relatively similar tastes to him and I got TLOU for my birthday recently. I'm already incredibly frustrated with the combat and stealth in the game. And maybe its just that my patience for stealth games is very low so this isn't for me. I didn't realise this was a stealth game. I'm a going through a tower and although I can see the story could be very interesting, I just don't think I have the time to force my way through it if its just going to be a stealth and chaperon game (sorry i forget the proper term)

Teddified

And you better hope he doesn't play it. I have relatively similar tastes to him and I got TLOU for my birthday recently. I'm already incredibly frustrated with the combat and stealth in the game. And maybe its just that my patience for stealth games is very low so this isn't for me. I didn't realise this was a stealth game. I'm a going through a tower and although I can see the story could be very interesting, I just don't think I have the time to force my way through it if its just going to be a stealth and chaperon game (sorry i forget the proper term)

Besides maybe the clicker stealth parts (where you can just use bottles and molotov cocktails) You get plenty of Ammo on easy/normal that you can probably not have to stealth much in the game.

Haunted

Brads tweet about TLOU made it sound like he turned around on that game in a big way. Vinny has always loved the game, and Patrick/Alex would have no problem giving it GOTY. I think Jeff would be the only major obstacle fighting for Bioshock Infinite.
Bioshock Infinite??

bitch pls

Besides maybe the clicker stealth parts (where you can just use bottles and molotov cocktails) You get plenty of Ammo on easy/normal that you can probably not have to stealth much in the game.

Maybe i should just put it down to easy. It's what I did for Spec Ops the Line, i think. Meant I could enjoy the game for what I wanted it for ie. not the combat

Bioshock Infinite??

bitch pls

You're right. TLOU isn't fit to lace Infinte's bootlaces ;-)

(the joys of differing opinions)

Teddified

Maybe i should just put it down to easy. It's what I did for Spec Ops the Line, i think. Meant I could enjoy the game for what I wanted it for ie. not the combat

It's always an option and there's nothing wrong with it. Though TLoU seems to have an odd Difficulty curve too, I played on Hard then Survivor so it may be different to me. But it was hard in the beginning and just got easier as time went on, with upgrades and everything.

But watching some people play normal it's amazing all the ammo they get.

LuchaShaq

Banned

I never found the game hard but I found the stealth and combat so clunky I had to just watch the story on YouTube.

Teddified

How much ammo do they get? At most I have about 6 to 10 bullets per gun, and that is because I use the ol' brick to the face then hit them with a piece of wood.

Was watching let's plays and at times they had full ammo and couldn't pick any more up, constantly. On hard/survivor I rarely had full ammo for even one gun. And there's a lot of places where ammo/crafting tools just aren't there in harder modes, I even noticed this from hard to survivor. Barely could craft anything and keep hold of it in survivor.

Though I did read that enemies are more likely to drop ammo when you have none so it made survivor easier since I was more aggressive compared to hard, since I knew what to do.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the GOTY wont be TLOU, GTA or Bioshock.

That or they call it a tie between all 3 and they all win in a swerve of TNA wrestling proportions.

popo

That or they call it a tie between all 3 and they all win in a swerve of TNA wrestling proportions.

It is pretty open this year, could be an interesting discussion. Infinite was a long time ago and has lost some of its shine. Jeff is down on TLOU, Brad not 100% behind it. Patrick will champion Mario 3D world, Brad knows Dota 2 has no support. Only Jeff loved GTA and even he is sour on the online.

Also, a tie is out of the question. Jeff will not even allow half stars in reviews. If Skyrim/Saints Row 3 can't tie for first then they will never award a tie.

What a season, what a season!

It's a long shot, I know, but can anyone here help a duder in (possible) trouble?

Saw the thread earlier, hope someone reaches him in time.

I have seen threads like this on gaming forums at least once a month and not heard of a single confirmed suicide yet. They are usually either a genuine cry for help, attention seeking or just plain trolling. If they are genuine then it stands a good chance of getting them some help. Point being - I would not worry too much.

pizza dog

Banned

Bioshock doesn't stand a chance. A) It wasn't very good. B) Patrick at least was pretty excited about that Tevis Thompson piece, don't think he'll let it.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

Could you be more specific about the "going through a tower"? I'd love to know where you actually are in the game, because if you're talking about that skyscraper segment just after you get Ellie then that is the worst part of the game and nothing even comes close to how restrictive that part is. Hated the game before Bill's Town, now it's easily one of my games of the generation.

Kerned

Banned
Could you be more specific about the "going through a tower"? I'd love to know where you actually are in the game, because if you're talking about that skyscraper segment just after you get Ellie then that is the worst part of the game and nothing even comes close to how restrictive that part is. Hated the game before Bill's Town, now it's easily one of my games of the generation.

Hm, I think this is just about where I gave up. I didn't really mean to give up, I just got so bored with the gameplay that I decided to move on to other things. The story is good, the acting is good, but I just don't like actually playing the game.

I really feel like I need to pick it back up and power through a bit farther, because in a couple of weeks the GOTY podcasts are definitely going to spoil the rest of the story for me. At that point I know I will never touch it again.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Hm, I think this is just about where I gave up. I didn't really mean to give up, I just got so bored with the gameplay that I decided to move on to other things. The story is good, the acting is good, but I just don't like actually playing the game.

I really feel like I need to pick it back up and power through a bit farther, because in a couple of weeks the GOTY podcasts are definitely going to spoil the rest of the story for me. At that point I know I will never touch it again.

I really really recommend giving it another shot. It's the definition of an upward slope; the beginning kind of sucks, the middle is great, the end is fucking incredible.

Jintor

I think the gameplay is really well poised to serve its story but that also means it can be extremely frustrating and a bit awkward and not that fun to play

Saint that is exactly where I'm at and I'm relieved I'm not in a minority of 1 on that part (thank you Kerned).

Sound like I try to force through, maybe even going to easy if possible, and then carry on.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rogue Legacy get a nod. A few of them seemed to really like it, right? Definitely in the top 5, of what I've played, for the year.

pizza dog

Banned
The change from Fall to Winter is one of the great transitions in gaming history. Right up there with going to Mexico in Red Dead.

Oh fuck The University is the last thing before Winter that's right. Yeah. The Last of Us should just be the opening, some little Joel-meets-Ellie bit, The University, Winter.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Saint that is exactly where I'm at and I'm relieved I'm not in a minority of 1 on that part (thank you Kerned).

Sound like I try to force through, maybe even going to easy if possible, and then carry on.

Just to really outline how much I think getting past that segment is important, i'll reiterate that TLoU is my GOTY by far and I wrote this thread while playing through that skyscraper segment.

Also in terms of Winter being a highpoint, I seem to be an outlier because I
loved Sam and Henry's segment to bits. Their presence really established Joel and Ellie's relationship, and I genuinely liked them as characters in a way few other people you come across in the game managed to get out of me.

EliCash

Bioshock doesn't stand a chance. A) It wasn't very good. B) Patrick at least was pretty excited about that Tevis Thompson piece, don't think he'll let it.

He was? Hmm, Patrick seemed to have some decent opinions / insight on the game from that spoiler stream at the time if I remember correctly. Seemed to enjoy it too?

I thought that article was pretty terrible. It was nothing more than going against the grain of popular opinion for the sake of it. It was utter snobbery to be honest, it wasn't just a different opinion, it felt like it was trying to tell me that my enjoyment of that game was misplaced. Not to say there wasn't some relevant points but it was all very desperate, worst game of the generation? Really? He undermined his own relevant points by presenting a ridiculously exaggerated opinion. What did Patrick like about like about it? Where did he talk about it?

Tan

BbKfi9-CAAEYBHg.jpg:large

Oh my

Bombcast is up and we have the return of aaaaaads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom