• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

As much as I like Alex and Patrick, if letting them go meant hiring 2 or 3 more San Francisco editors, I think I'd be okay with that. They're great editors, but for me personally I go to GB for the in-studio content, not skype's, news, articles, trailers or reviews.

Same here. It seems so strange to me that 40% of the staff isn't involved in the main content GB produces.

bjork

My offer to work there is always open.

Anyway, I got a confirmation email, VinnCo shirt has shipped out. That means it'll be here before Christmas, and that's good.

Kerned

Banned
It's obvious they need some more technical guys. Vinny and Drew having to pull double duty is probably not ideal. Just make Vinny appear on video for every video and leave the production stuff to somebody new.

Amen. I think Vinny is an amazing behind-the-scenes producer, but he's even better on camera and in front of the mic. I wouldn't complain if her took over Bombcast hosting duties as well (sorry MonsterDunk, nothing personal).

webrunner

Is the game more than Terraria, yet? I played for about an hour and gave up around the time I was told to go find a cave to mine iron ore with my pickaxe.

it is a lot more than terraria (it actually starts being a lot more than terraria once you can comfortably explore after getting a pickaxe and some sort of better weapon)

for example you could, as I did last night, walk about 10 minutes find a graveyard full of cultists next to an outhouse leading into a sewer dungeon, and then find a trapped building full of buzzsaws.

Then next morning explore the other way, find what you think is another trapped building and discover you've just accidentally circumnavigated your planet.

So then you go into a cave system and find a massive cave made out of mushrooms or visit another planet which is covered in snow or poison or whatever. Terraria never really breaks out of that "Here's a moderately temperate world with a possible snow section and a forest and some stuff underground" - what you can actually do and find on a given planet in starbound varies wildly.

Zaph

Same here. It seems so strange to me that 40% of the staff isn't involved in the main content GB produces.
Yeah, it's crazy that 50% of the pure editorial staff don't work in the office. Which puts more pressure on the video guys (Drew is great but I get the impression he doesn't want to be on camera as much as he is, dude was falling asleep on the last UPF) which in turn puts pressure on the designers (Alexis and Ian) to help out in front or behind the camera.

Even Jeff mentioned recently they get looks and comments from other departments who think they 'borrow' people too much.

How does this Youtube nonsense impact Giant Bomb? Do they monetize their Youtube channel?
They probably monetize it, but I don't think they care. It's more a promotional tool for the site than anything else - cross-network ad campaigns only work with their video player, so that's where they want people viewing videos. If some of their videos get pulled, I doubt they'll give a shit.

bigkrev

I hope they can get the money to hire. It's going to be hard to show that they need to hire someone new, considering that about a month after Ryan's death, they were back to their usual content output. We also used to joke that Ryan's only job was to edit the podcast, because it never seemed like he did anything else- while we now know how important he was in setting up all those interviews, it might be hard to show that.

mattp

I hope they can get the money to hire. It's going to be hard to show that they need to hire someone new, considering that about a month after Ryan's death, they were back to their usual content output. We also used to joke that Ryan's only job was to edit the podcast, because it never seemed like he did anything else- while we now know how important he was in setting up all those interviews, it might be hard to show that.

is it hard to show that though? the post right above yorus says theyve mentioned getting shit for borrowing people from other departments

they obviously could use the budget for another employee or two

Hope he archives it, he hasn't for the last few. Wonder why he stopped tweeting Mixlr broadcasts too?

Don't worry, he has to archive them manually so it can take a day or two before they're available. They usually come in 3-4 at a time.

I guess he doesn't tweet it because he thinks it would be obnoxious if he pimped his commute stream twice a day (not that I'd mind). Anyway, you can leave the tab open 24/7 and the stream will start automatically.

Zaph

I love Jeff's tumblr

Z1WjXgD.png

Don't worry, he has to archive them manually so it can take a day or two before they're available. They usually come in 3-4 at a time.

I guess he doesn't tweet it because he thinks it would be obnoxious if he pimped his commute stream twice a day (not that I'd mind). Anyway, you can leave the tab open 24/7 and the stream will start automatically.
Awesome, I figured he just gave up manually uploading them.

Haunted

GOTY better be Dota 2 or there will be blood in the streets.

How does this Youtube nonsense impact Giant Bomb? Do they monetize their Youtube channel?
Pretty sure big corporations like j2 Global (IGN) or CBSi (Gamespot, Giantbomb) are not affected.

It's mostly small-ish Youtube personalities (at most some that are affiliated to YT networks) they're going after.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They probably do but they also might have some pull cuz they're under CBSi.
I think they ask for permissions alot more than your average let's player, so my guess is that this whole thing is not as big of a problem for them. I don't know about games they show after release, though.

What is a mixlr, really. I always thought he would be mixing his own music, or something.
Live audio streaming.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Hire Jeff green and let drew back in the production room. I like drew but I wouldn't miss him on camera that much if it meant getting a more experienced video games guy in.

I think Jeff is close to getting a job elsewhere though, unfortunately.

Kelas

What gives you that idea?

In one of his recent dark souls streams he talked about meeting someone about a job, and I didn't get the impression it was a Giant Bomb person. I could be wrong though; hopefully I am.

Into

Brad will easily get DOTA 2 in top 3, with little to no effort. Only him and Jeff really care about these things, even Ryan barely gave a fuck, Vinny is Vinny and Klepek is too busy setting the record for how many times he can say the word "conceptually"

There does not seem to be a favorite this year, they seemed "meh" around GTA5, despite giving it a glowing review they just kinda lost interest in it. TLoU is a game with a rather serious story and tone, there is nothing ironically to like about it, there is no "omfg its so fucking stupid its AWESOME!" kind of stuff so i doubt it will do well, but Klepek will fight for it i reckon. Top 5? Its possible.

Maybe Ass Creed 4 will do well, considering they all seem positive on it

Kerned

Banned
In one of his recent dark souls streams he talked about meeting someone about a job, and I didn't get the impression it was a Giant Bomb person. I could be wrong though; hopefully I am.

Oh, THAT Jeff. Yeah, ok, that makes sense. I thought you meant Gerstmann.

sixghost

Jeff would see this site burn to the ground before he lets DOTA 2 win the overall GOTY. Brad might be able to get it in the top 10 though.

It's pretty hard to argue that Dota isn't the best PC game this year, and so much of the peripheral stuff around that game is groundbreaking. Even if you hate esports, you can't really deny that The International and all the spectator features are as good as it gets in games right now.

Dota definitely has a better shot than SC2 did 3 years ago.

They probably do but they also might have some pull cuz they're under CBSi.

They probably monetize it, but I don't think they care. It's more a promotional tool for the site than anything else - cross-network ad campaigns only work with their video player, so that's where they want people viewing videos. If some of their videos get pulled, I doubt they'll give a shit.

Pretty sure big corporations like j2 Global (IGN) or CBSi (Gamespot, Giantbomb) are not affected.

It's mostly small-ish Youtube personalities (at most some that are affiliated to YT networks) they're going after.

I see. I haven't delved to deep into the whole issue. Sounds pretty fucking gross.

Megasoum

Banned
The Rev3 thing?

There was a Rev3 thing?

No the tweet was, I assume, about his opinion on Popcap and then saying who he would probably be working with soon.

I'm not recopying the tweet out of respect for Jeff since this was clearly meant as a DM and was deleted only minutes later.

There was a Rev3 thing?

No the tweet was, I assume, about his opinion on Popcap and then saying who he would probably be working with soon.

I'm not recopying the tweet out of respect for Jeff since this was clearly meant as a DM and was deleted only minutes later.

I respect your respect but now I absolutely must know.

Lunzio

There was a Rev3 thing?

He was conversing with Sessler about a 2 week old email or something regarding an interview I believe.

Zornack

Brad will easily get DOTA 2 in top 3, with little to no effort. Only him and Jeff really care about these things, even Ryan barely gave a fuck, Vinny is Vinny and Klepek is too busy setting the record for how many times he can say the word "conceptually"

There does not seem to be a favorite this year, they seemed "meh" around GTA5, despite giving it a glowing review they just kinda lost interest in it. TLoU is a game with a rather serious story and tone, there is nothing ironically to like about it, there is no "omfg its so fucking stupid its AWESOME!" kind of stuff so i doubt it will do well, but Klepek will fight for it i reckon. Top 5? Its possible.

Maybe Ass Creed 4 will do well, considering they all seem positive on it

Have any of them finished AC4? I think it has to be Infinite, TLoU or GTA 5. Those are the only games I can think of that they've all actually played, though Brad didn't beat GTA 5 and Jeff didn't beat TLoU.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There was a Rev3 thing?

If he goes to Rev3 I think I'll cry. That would be such a bad fit.

Rev3 always comes off to me like Corporate GiantBomb. As if it's trying to have that personality but it seems to be trying a bit too hard to be "hip!" and "radical!".

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder how many people actually watch the morning show. They seem to be all around 5,000 views a piece, but I don't know if that counts the people who watched live. All their other videos on youtube probably average 40-50k views a piece.

EDIT: Actually, because I don't feel up to being aggressive today, I'll just say at least he'll likely have a lot of note to say about the recent YouTube apocalypse.

Kelas

I'd totally appreciate an anonymous PM (that I'd keep super quiet about) letting me know what's up with Jeff Green and all that...

Also, I hope Pathfinder is back soon.

OMG Aero

ALBW is probably the one choice for GOTY this year that I don't think anyone would fuck with. I've yet to see any different opinion emerging on that game, really.
One of the hosts on the recent Nintendo World Report podcast said he didn't really like it and did a pretty good job justifying his decision, and I've certainly heard people around say that the item renting and non-linear dungeon order fucks up any sense of a difficulty curve for the majority of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom