• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kessler's employed now? Good to hear. I've been wanting to ask someone for a while now whether you have to actually earn the title of sandwich artist.

Haunted

Guys this is so dumb! GTA coming out and me going out of town and Kessler getting a job is what stopped Dota. I played a ton last weekend. I never quit.
The 2GD/Bruno episode was fantastic. I think it's fair to say that people are fine with the addition of 2 fun players to the Daily Dota core crew (you, Crispy and either of the Matts).

Get Purge and PyrionFlax on the show next! :D

Megasoum

Banned
Kessler must have some serious dirt on AB.

Grats. What position did he take?

Account Relations Representative according to his twitter... I wonder if it's on the customer or on the developper side... If it's on dev side I might end up having to talk to him at some point lol... Would be great.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
graphic design is a pretty good degree isn't it?

People just like to hate on anything that isn't a STEM course for whatever reason. Vinny had a Fine Arts degree.

I don't see why it behooves people to make fun of others for what they choose to learn about. Employability-wise, experience far outweights education anyway.

Cyrix

Neo Member
I think it's what you do with a graphic design degree

graphic design is a pretty good degree isn't it?

People just like to hate on anything that isn't a STEM course for whatever reason. Vinny had a Fine Arts degree.

I don't see why it behooves people to make fun of others for what they choose to learn about. Employability-wise, experience far outweights education anyway.

While I laughed because I found the essence of the joke funny, it's usually told as a Liberal Arts Degree which makes more sense.

Poyunch

Kessler's employed now? Good to hear. I've been wanting to ask someone for a while now whether you have to actually earn the title of sandwich artist.

I occasionally listen to Game Burglars but the last one was terrific. Specifically when they played that word game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Just got around to watching Pat's Worth Playing and I thought The Stanley Parable demo was really grating and tedious. It seems to think it's smarter and a lot funnier than it is, but I guess some people dig it.

That Speedrunners game on UPF... finally someone does it. I played Platform Racing 2 years ago and wondered why there aren't more games like that.

Good for him! Did he mention doing what at Sony?

He is a Accounts Relations Representative.

The title doesn't exactly explain what he is doing but I THINK its somewhere in developer relations. He is probably not doing face to face developer stuff like flying out to developers and green lighting projects. Just making sure the i's are dotted and making sure people are getting in touch with the right people and stuff.

Seems like a real great entry level gig.

Ether that or he just works in customer support. Sony is real weird when it comes to job titles sometimes.

Anyway its good to see him making waves. He is already doing better then I would have ever expected. I was betting on him working at Destructoid or some other hole.

demidar

He is a Accounts Relations Representative.

The title doesn't exactly explain what he is doing but I THINK its somewhere in developer relations. He is probably not doing face to face developer stuff like flying out to developers and green lighting projects. Just making sure the i's are dotted and making sure people are getting in touch with the right people and stuff.

Seems like a real great entry level gig.

Ether that or he just works in customer support. Sony is real weird when it comes to job titles sometimes.

Anyway its good to see him making waves. He is already doing better then I would have ever expected. I was betting on him working at Destructoid or some other hole.

When I hear "Accounts Relations Representative", I think handling PSN accounts (or similar) like what Rorie does.

I dunno, it's a weird title.

When I hear "Accounts Relations Representative", I think handling PSN accounts (or similar) like what Rorie does.

I dunno, it's a weird title.

I have talked to a person with a similar title at Sony who are in dev relations so thats what I am going on.

But thats SCEE and not SCEA so I dont really know TBH.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Where did Rorie read that about the main actor? I googled him and didn't see any mention of it on the first couple of pages at least.

demidar

I read the Wiki page for Harvester and it sounded fascinating. Gonna have to see if its on GoG or something.

I would be totally up for a segment with Vinny (and maybe even Dave) where he plays through Harvester and perhaps other similar games. If they do, they should call it something snappy, like... FMVinny?

Oh god let a new FMV segment spring up again

Anastasia

I would be totally up for a segment with Vinny (and maybe even Dave) where he plays through Harvester and perhaps other similar games. If they do, they should call it something snappy, like... FMVinny?

Oh god let a new FMV segment spring up again

There really should be a separate feature on the site for this. It would allow Vinny to show off the games in greater depth than he normally can during UPF, and then during UPF he can play something different altogether (unless it was a game that everyone would laugh at). I imagine a feature like this would attract many views as well.

And yes, call it FMVinny. Maybe something like, FMVinny Presents: *Insert Title Here*

Listening to Bombing the AM and it sounds like Blight Club might actually happen.

I'm all for new shows plus Alex wasn't bad in the Bombasticas he did (imo) so it could be interesting.

that FMVinny idea sounds interesting as well lol

Jokab

How was UPF and what games were played?

Some text adventure game set in Canada, King of Fighters XIII, Harvester (FMVinny) and Speedrunners. You can honestly skip to Harvester because what came before wasn't very interesting in my opinion. The rest was great.

Zaph

I looked and it's been almost 2 years since GB's last video review.

Anyone miss them?
Not in the slightest.

Never found them particularly compelling, interesting and rarely timely. Disliked them even more when Jeff mentioned they take Vinny/Drew 1-2 days to edit. They were always too similar in format/tone to 'normal' gaming websites too.

Related note - does anyone actually read/watch reviews anymore?

Maybe it's because I've been playing games for around 20 years, but generally speaking new purchases fall into 2 categories:
1. Game in a sub-genre/from a developer/part of a series that I really like. Instant purchase.
2. Game I hear mentioned by friends/on a podcast/elsewhere that sounds interesting. Check Metacritic to make sure it's not a <50 broken piece of trash. Purchase.

The individual reviews themselves just don't fill a need for me.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm re-watching the New Gamespot video again....couple of things

1-Very touching segment about Jeff and Ryan

2-I want Danny O'Dwyer on GB... fuck GS.

Mr. F

Banned
Not in the slightest.

Never found them particularly compelling, interesting and rarely timely. Disliked them even more when Jeff mentioned they take Vinny/Drew 1-2 days to edit. They were always too similar in format/tone to 'normal' gaming websites too.

Related note - does anyone actually read/watch reviews anymore?

Maybe it's because I've been playing games for around 20 years, but generally speaking new releases fall into 2 categories:
1. Game in a sub-genre/from a developer/part of a series that I really like. Instant purchase.
2. Game I hear mentioned by friends/on a podcast/elsewhere that sounds interesting. Check Metacritic to make sure it's not a <50 broken piece of trash. Purchase.

The individual reviews themselves just don't fill a need for me.

Yeah, typically I'm informed enough on the shape of the game through following its development and/or a wider spread of impressions (GAF, podcasts, etc.). I don't think I've based a purchasing decision off of a published review in...well..maybe ever.

StuBurns

Banned
I just listened to the dump truck about a mental illness game jam. Seems like mindless white knighting to me. "I shall stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves", an honorable sentiment, but mental illness is something to be feared. It's used in horror games, not in regards to the player character being scared of the mentally ill, but to be scared of becoming mentally ill. The concept that the horrors presented could persistence beyond the end of the literal danger is a scary concept that permeates the horror genre, regardless of the medium.

Mental health is really the perfect subject matter for horror, because it's by far the most common source for actual real-world horrific experiences. There probably are places in the world with murder hotels, certainly there are drug experiences which can be frightening, but mental health is the nightmare of persistent horror, and it exists in our own current society. It's real, and actually scary. It's perfect.

The reason Black Swan is so effective, for example, is almost everyone has had an experience with a consuming obsession, be it personally, or professionally. It's easy to extrapolate that going to an extreme that would hinder your mental health.

I disagree that it's scary because people aren't informed, I think it's scary because people are, they know it's wide spread, they know people have gone from seemingly perfectly well to deranged.

OMG Aero

Everyone saying they don't miss video reviews at all clearly never watched them all the way to the end.
The after review jokes were the best part.

I do think its impressive that GB have pretty much eliminated any post recording editing for vinny and drew.

Everything they out of the office now is ether live or recorded live and just uploaded onto the site.

Crazy to think back in the day they did Video Reviews, TANG, I <3 Mondays and random Video Things all on a much more regular basis then they do content now and back then Vinny was producing them all solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom