• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
funkystudent truly is the master of passive aggressive backhanded compliments

:bow

For once I wasnt being passive aggressive.

I mean was anything of value lost when they stopped doing the green screened I <3 Mondays?

Actually come to think of it GB stopped doing anything with editing pretty much when they lost access to their own green screen. We should send vinny a green screen. Well maybe some green bed sheets and some thumb tacks to stick them on a wall. That will totally work out just as good.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I do think its impressive that GB have pretty much eliminated any post recording editing for vinny and drew.

Everything they out of the office now is ether live or recorded live and just uploaded onto the site.

Crazy to think back in the day they did Video Reviews, TANG, I <3 Mondays and random Video Things all on a much more regular basis then they do content now and back then Vinny was producing them all solo.
I guess I'm alone in this, but I enjoyed that content more than todays quantity of Quick Looks. Their review videos were actually really well made, I'm thinking of Dave's Dragon Age or Ryan's Braid review for example. They barely show that side of their creativity anymore.

KingKong

There comes a point where Jeff playing and collecting Skylanders ironically becomes Jeff playing and collecting Skylanders unironically

Megasoum

Banned
I don't really miss any of the green screen stuff but I do miss the office ILM they were doing until July and also the mailbags. Basically all the office videos.

There comes a point where Jeff playing and collecting Skylanders ironically becomes Jeff playing and collecting Skylanders unironically

As long as he keeps his fandom in check I don't see a problem with it. If Jeff ever shows up at a Skylanders Con wearing Drobot cosplay I think we should get worried.

Aerocrane

That's what I thought this week.

I mean, they were only five minute videos posted from a blogging camera.

With the GoPro and other cameras available at the set, the quality is far better which is a good thing. I really don't care for the mailbags, because it is mostly just food and fanart being sent to them. The art would be nice to see if it was recorded with a quality camera instead of someone's phone. With food items, a lot of the time they wouldn't actually try most of the items sent, and would just go "huh, that's weird!" and move on. Drew drinking the Cristal they were sent was funny though, and it seems when on camera on UPF they all appear more willing to try the weird stuff they received.

I am fine with mailbags being a part of UPF as I'm a subscriber. They did provide a bit of personality to the site along with the other videos from the office, but I just felt indifferent about them.

Huh. They QLed the ps3 version of Skylanders. Was thinking after no Kingdom hearts or beyond QL that they secretly just packed in all the ps3 recording stuff during the summer or something.

I guess I'm alone in this, but I enjoyed that content more than todays quantity of Quick Looks. Their review videos were actually really well made, I'm thinking of Dave's Dragon Age or Ryan's Braid review for example. They barely show that side of their creativity anymore.

I guess its bad because every once and a while we get something like Drews Day 0 e3 video or the GOTY stuff last year and go "oh right... these guys are actually much more talented then they let on during the regular day to day stuff"

It would be good if GB did some more regular content with actual production values but I dont think Jeff is that interested in doing anything with any actually planning or thought put into it right now.

Serra

It would be good if GB did some more regular content with actual production values but I dont think Jeff is that interested in doing anything with any actually planning or thought put into it right now.

Im totally fine with the way GB is now. The only features I hope have "actual production values" are the GOTY lists.

-KRS-

So uh. I never really got into the TNTs that much, since in the beginning they weren't that fun to watch after the fact for the most part. But later they went on to just do some random shit during TNT, like the one where they play 3DO games, and those are more entertaining. So I'm just wondering, what are some must watch TNTs? Would be great if you had a link or date as well but don't sweat it if you don't! :)

Edit: Found this really handy episode guide here. That'll help with the links I imagine:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fo3TdWGRLWcED7lOzXcoF_899o3oIVvMFmOMtBLrOJE/pub

StuBurns

Banned
So uh. I never really got into the TNTs that much, since in the beginning they weren't that fun to watch after the fact for the most part. But later they went on to just do some random shit during TNT, like the one where they play 3DO games, and those are more entertaining. So I'm just wondering, what are some must watch TNTs? Would be great if you had a link or date as well but don't sweat it if you don't! :)
The one with the hand shocker is pretty rad. Don't have the details sorry, someone will know though.

Jokab

Edit: Found this really handy episode guide here. That'll help with the links I imagine:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fo3TdWGRLWcED7lOzXcoF_899o3oIVvMFmOMtBLrOJE/pub

The best TNT by far is Fortune Street. The second best is Dead Island. Other than that I don't really remember. I think Trials Evolution was pretty good too.

Coincidentally they're all local TNTs where the crew plays against/with eachother.

Was it ever ironic? It seemed he always had genuine enthusiasm for the first game, and only got soured on the franchise because of the second game and the slowness of the giant characters.

Thinking back, he would basically described the gimmick of putting the skylander on the portal and having them appear in the game as "magic."

Was it ever ironic? It seemed he always had genuine enthusiasm for the first game, and only got soured on the franchise because of the second game and the slowness of the giant characters.

Thinking back, he would basically described the gimmick of putting the skylander on the portal and having them appear in the game as "magic."

Yea I doubt he would spend that amount of money on it ironically.

Xater

Jeff obviously has some form of passion for collecting, so it doesn't surprise me that Skylanders would appeal to him. it#s a nice video game in combination with collecting physical figures.

Eternia

I'll second Fortune Street. Battlefield Bad Company 2 had its moments, especially in the first hour. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and NBA Live 95/more Tetris Battle Gaiden are some others I liked.

FStop7

Banned
Speedrunners brought back a little of what's been missing in terms of Fortune Street / NSMB / Dead Island group hysterics.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Speedrunners brought back a little of what's been missing in terms of Fortune Street / NSMB / Dead Island group hysterics.

Did they play it on Unprofessional Fridays? I am absolutely loving what I played of Speedrunners. There's no way that wasn't fun to watch. Not going to play too much until the full release but I'm glad I grabbed it during the Steam weekly sale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did they play it on Unprofessional Fridays? I am absolutely loving what I played of Speedrunners. There's no way that wasn't fun to watch. Not going to play too much until the full release but I'm glad I grabbed it during the Steam weekly sale.
Yeah, it was the last game that they played.

dantehemi

Hey, im looking to find the giant bombcast episode where Patrick discusses his time with fire emblem awakening... I listened to it before, but now that I have had some time with the game I want to hear what he thinks of it again. Thanks in advance.

FStop7

Banned
Come to think of it, a Giant Bomb themed Speedrunners level would be pretty outstanding. They could use the GB character sprites. Imagine the power ups. Vinny's would summon Max, who would appear just in front of his target and throw a banana peel. Brad's would be a BLACK HOOOOOOLE that would slow down opponents and suck them in. Drew could briefly transform into a race car. Ryan would get a huge burst of New Balance speed and shout BALLER TIME! Or he could summon a swarm of attack hummingbirds. Or drop mics that trip people up. Alex could summon a wrestler that knocks everyone in different directions. Rorie would conjure a bunch of puppies on a leash that would speed him up. An elephant similar to Dumbo but just different enough to prevent a lawsuit could fly in for Jeff.

PATRICK, GIVE IN TO THE POKEYMANS

bhhZArV.jpg

Jamie OD

Come to think of it, a Giant Bomb themed Speedrunners level would be pretty outstanding. They could use the GB character sprites. Imagine the power ups. Vinny's would summon Max, who would appear just in front of his target and throw a banana peel. Brad's would be a BLACK HOOOOOOLE that would slow down opponents and suck them in. Drew could briefly transform into a race car. Ryan would get a huge burst of New Balance speed and shout BALLER TIME! Or he could summon a swarm of attack hummingbirds. Or drop mics that trip people up. Alex could summon a wrestler that knocks everyone in different directions. Rorie would conjure a bunch of puppies on a leash that would speed him up. An elephant similar to Dumbo but just different enough to prevent a lawsuit could fly in for Jeff.

Give me a Big Jeffrey theme park track and I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom