• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like if Scoops started playing Pokemon now, and played it casually alongside the other releases towards the end of the year, he'd probably have played enough come to December to have a reasonable idea of how good he thinks it is.

I'm biased, being a die-hard fan since 1998, but I think this is the one everyone should pay attention to.

popo

It's columbus day, it's hardly a real holiday.

What does that mean to a non american? That people don't take it off work? I know how our public holidays work is basically everyone has to at least have the option of taking the holiday from their employers - and if they do choose to work they get a days holiday to come later.

Nah fuck your system dude, we're doing it right.

Also, the Bombcasts come prelabeled witht he date in the format he listed, not tough to find!

Was this you on Jeff's tumblr? :D Fuck those foreigners for not using US plugs and switching their entire infrastucture to 110V 'cause Edison says fuck metric.

Anonymous asked:Do you still need an converter for plugs when traveling overseas? Is that still a thing? Other countries having different plugs seems like something that would go away, in our all connected globalized world.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What does that mean to a non american? That people don't take it off work? I know how our public holidays work is basically everyone has to at least have the option of taking the holiday from their employers - and if they do choose to work they get a days holiday to come later.

It's a banking holiday, banks are closed but pretty much every other business is open. Some schools will be closed but even that is inconsistent and varies mostly by state. Nobody gives a damn about Columbus Day if they aren't attending one of those schools that has a holiday.

popo

Its really just a Bank Holiday (no mail service and no banks open)

That might explain it. In the UK Bank Holidays is the same as Public Holiday. Everyone has the right to take the holiday - not just banks. When I was a kid everything was shut. Made having the day off a bummer. These days only really banks are shut but openning hours are usually shorter.

thx for the info

Megasoum

Banned
and you think i give two shits about twinkies and surge

Good thing they haven't talked about energy drinks since like 2009...

That might explain it. In the UK Bank Holidays is the same as Public Holiday. Everyone has the right to take the holiday - not just banks. When I was a kid everything was shut. Made having the day off a bummer. These days only really banks are shut but openning hours are usually shorter.

thx for the info

Not that it matters for GB but FYI it's Thanksgiving in Canada which means that everything is closed up here.

Dany

Banned
Nah fuck your system dude, we're doing it right.

Also, the Bombcasts come prelabeled witht he date in the format he listed, not tough to find!

It's the only time in bombcast history where they had to redo it. And it is glorious. So many highlights.

I feel like if Scoops started playing Pokemon now, and played it casually alongside the other releases towards the end of the year, he'd probably have played enough come to December to have a reasonable idea of how good he thinks it is.

I'm biased, being a die-hard fan since 1998, but I think this is the one everyone should pay attention to.

It's somewhat funny seeing you asking for Patrick to play Pokemon, when you were mocking people who were asking Brad to finish TLoU.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Skylanders Swap Force QL is fascinating. Pretty cool tech but I'm glad I'm not into these figures.

Biggest surprise for me was that the new Skylanders game looks like a completely competent game. The whole idea of it is still all sorts of gross, but it looks like they're trying a lot more than you might expect to make it playable. I was never able to make it through a full video for the previous games.

Dany

Banned
Is it really? Wasn't there a Black/White 2? Are there actaully big differences this time? I don't keep up with pokemon since the GB color days but it looks the same.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This one is very different, I didn't play black2 but I played black1.. First off this one obviously has unparalleled presentation and fidelity, don't discount that for a second. Err, secondly the discovery rate/difficulty curve seems super different, for the first 10 hours it felt like almost literally every encounter I had was a new pokemkn to catch. Which was really fun and awesome, I got 20 poke balls at the first store and they were gone in an hour. Thirdly this game doesn't hold your hand in the slightest. It's just off to the races as soon as it gets going. AND it finally has proper online, you could almost even call it modern! There's a sort of location based matchmaking a Facebook-esque "poke" system that gives a temporary buff, a friends list etc. and there is a super addictive random trade system, you put a pokemkn in and links you up with a rando and the trade is made.

This is by far the biggest update the series has ever seen. It also has a fantastic soundtrack.

Patryn

Is it really? Wasn't there a Black/White 2? Are there actaully big differences this time? I don't keep up with pokemon since the GB color days but it looks the same.

Huge differences. It's a full 3D world, with fully 3D animated battle sequences, a bunch of new Pokemon, a new region, the full works.

Think of B&W 2 as an expansion pack while X and Y are the next numbered entry in the series.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I sure do hope we get a beyond quick look this week. They don't even have to so it justice, I just wanna see some of the game. Alex should have done a ql solo.

Mr. F

Banned
Man my excitement for the next instalment of Pathfinder is not normal. lol

I'm glad it's going to be recurring, more Dave is always welcome.

Speaking of, is it worth going back to watch last year's BLLSL? I don't remember specific moments aside from Alexis' nugget quest and Drew's archery but I think I recall it being kind of boring.

Thirdly this game doesn't hold your hand in the slightest.

As another person who has played every generation, I kind of disagree. It feels like your traveling group pops up every 10 minutes or so to give you advice and lead you to the progression path. But I think that's fine, especially for series newcomers or people who haven't played a game since gen 1 and 2. Seems like lots of people are hopping onto this one, more so than even Black/White.

The biggest thing I keep seeing pop-up is how it's "too late" to get into Pokemon and that there are too many monsters at this point. I just want to stress that it's never too late, every game keeps improving on core mechanics and this one in particular has made a lot of strides in streamlining some of the tedium of old games. As for there being too many monsters, one shouldn't be worried about that. "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is just a marketing slogan that hasn't really been emphasized for years (until the latest promotional contest they just held). Just catch and raise the Pokemon you personally like and you'll enjoy the games much more.

Speaking of, is it worth going back to watch last year's BLLSL? I don't remember specific moments aside from Alexis' nugget quest and Drew's archery but I think I recall it being kind of boring.

Just skip to the end and #teambrad. The rest was forgettable, IMO.

Jintor

I just skip over it.

I dunno, I think between the morning shows and the interview dumptrucks I'm suffering from Patrick overload.

Guys, why are you so into these Giant Bomb videos? My friend told me about one and it just sounds like dudes being dumb over footage of video games. How is that even entertaining/fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom