• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

I think he did it only once.

This is a big reason we stressed exploring more of the game early on. Disc 3 is tight as fuck but it's not like there nothing to offer in prior discs. There's a lot of fun scenes and fights to discover. You can fight Fuku every day. Hell you can learn a move from Yamagishi in the park on the first day of your journey. It's a shame it took this long to discover what the game has to offer but better late than never and Shenmue 1 is much better on replays anyways.

Where's the guy that gave me shit for saying disc 3 is action packed and assumed I meant I was talking about the forklift. Love how the shit talk trolls have disappeared. Hope you like apples, troll.

I'm A: not caught up on the ER and B: letting the two people who dominate the discussion in the thread do their thing, since any negative words about the game get immediately trampled on by them

but no, the guy who welcomed you to the GB community thread and answered the questions you had about the site is just some troll

FStop7

Banned
Some people don't like the game. Some people are trolling. Some people think there's an imaginary scoreboard that tracks how thoroughly they regurgitate everything Jeff Gerstmann has ever said.

Lipton_Kermit.png

Vinny's impression of Goro is so good and nice to him use some the heavy moves.

I'm sure the old man at the docks and arcade owner are voiced by the guy, you know :). I do love how the arcade man simply says the word "what" though, so gruff.

orient

Neo Member
There's a lot of fun scenes and fights to discover. You can fight Fuku every day. Hell you can learn a move from Yamagishi in the park on the first day of your journey. It's a shame it took this long to discover what the game has to offer but better late than never and Shenmue 1 is much better on replays anyways.

It's impossible to see every scene the first time through -- missing some is only natural -- so acting like it's their fault for not discovering what the game has to offer is some disingenuous defending.

Also, fighting Fuku every day isn't exciting, it's a decent time-killer at best. Again, unless you're on your second playthrough, you don't know the value of training because the first 2 discs make it seem like fighting isn't a big part of the game. Thematically it makes sense but that doesn't stop it from being unbalanced for new players.

Well, I did say replays are runner than the first time. So it's not like disagree. But a time waster is pretty good in the game considering sometimes they need something to pass the time and beating up on Fuku is always fun.

It's impossible to see every scene the first time through -- missing some is only natural -- so acting like it's their fault for not discovering what the game has to offer is some disingenuous defending.

Missing some is natural but it's not disingenuous at all to say that at points of this run they've literally stood at objectives and done nothing and that's lead them to missing a lot more than you would on even an average 1st run.

I
Also, fighting Fuku every day isn't exciting, it's a decent time-killer at best.

That's literally what's being called for, though. In the latest episode Vinny wonders "are there any side things I could have been doing while you wait" the answer is yes and that's one of them.

Either way the run is fine and they've settled into a groove. Vinny just needs to find things he likes to do while passing the time. Wish he'd give darts another shot. Easily the best time waster and it's fun to beat your high score. Time goes by so fast preying darts. Maybe it's my imagination.

Phu

Banned
Either way the run is fine and they've settled into a groove. Vinny just needs to find things he likes to do while passing the time. Wish he'd give darts another shot. Easily the best time waster and it's fun to beat your high score. Time goes by so fast preying darts. Maybe it's my imagination.

He already broke out the guitar.

Chuck

Still without luck
Ine san "rio how was your day at work?"

Ryo "good. I improved my forklift race time, managed to get 9 crates done, and beat up about 40 guys."

orient

Neo Member
Missing some is natural but it's not disingenuous at all to say that at points of this run they've literally stood at objectives and done nothing and that's lead them to missing a lot more than you would on even an average 1st run.

They've let the game run once, and yes, in that time they theoretically could've done something new. Aside from that, I think they've been genuine about trying to play the game properly, even if they struggled with the controls at first. They've bought a ton of capsule toys, played all the arcade games, darts and gave the pool mini game a second shot. They haven't checked on the cat very much but let's face it, it's not very exciting. It's not their fault if they don't know you can spa with Fuku-san, or if, on a certain day, you can learn a move from Yamagashi-san.

I remember my first play-through -- I got stuck looking for the mirror, probably because I didn't fully comprehend the controls, either -- and then I literally got stuck in the forklift loop in disc 3. Not exactly a great first impression, but I loved it anyway and started over.

They've let the game run once, and yes, in that time they theoretically could've done something new. Aside from that, I think they've been genuine about trying to play the game properly, even if they struggled with the controls at first. They've bought a ton of capsule toys, played all the arcade games, darts and gave the pool mini game a second shot. They haven't checked on the cat very much but let's face it, it's not very exciting. It's not their fault if they don't know you can spa with Fuku-san, or if, on a certain day, you can learn a move from Yamagashi-san.

I just disagree. First off they waited out the clock more than once without question. Most of Shenmue isn't what I'd call "exciting" anyway. Neither is most of say Sam & Max: Hit The Road or a lot of my other favorite games. Not to spark the "is Shenmue an adventure game" debate but it's an example of a different type of enjoyment.

Also I'm not questioning whether or not they're "genuinely trying to play the game properly." Vinny wouldn't have even asked the question if he wasn't and Dan genuinely didn't know. I never made a point about the controls either.

Fuku-san literally says "come spar with me anytime" after your first fight. So yeah, it's not exactly cryptic. You'd easily think to go back to the Dojo and check on him. So the thing with Yamagishi is moot. You're not supposed to know about every random event you can trigger. But even going back and forth between following leads & just that one stable side activity increases your chances of seeing some of them 10x.

I remember my first play-through -- I got stuck looking for the mirror, probably because I didn't fully comprehend the controls, either -- and then I literally got stuck in the forklift loop in disc 3. Not exactly a great first impression, but I loved it anyway and started over.

I remember my first play-through too. It wasn't that long ago. Maybe not even two full years. It seemed fairly obvious to me that you could trigger random side events that related to blank spaces in your notebook so I naturally sought them out. Which was the only point I was making. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

orient

Neo Member
I just disagree. First off they waited out the clock more than once without question.

When they've had to wait for a prolonged period of time, they've always tried to fill that time by asking around and doing the mini-game stuff they know about: arcade, capsules, pool, entering the raffle etc. (apart from the one time they left the game). The only thing they haven't really engaged with is training. To say they're missing "a lot more" than someone on an average 1st run is A) probably not true at all and B) something impossible to judge and quantify.

Also I'm not questioning whether or not they're "genuinely trying to play the game properly." Vinny wouldn't have even asked the question if he wasn't and Dan genuinely didn't know.

If you accept they're trying to play the game properly, maybe accept that not everyone is going to spa Fuku-san their first time through, and that they're not missing much by not doing so.

Fuku-san literally says "come spar with me anytime" after your first fight. So yeah, it's not exactly cryptic. You'd easily think to go back to the Dojo and check on him.

^^

So the thing with Yamagishi is moot. You're not supposed to know about every random event you can trigger.

That is exactly what I said in my post.

It seemed fairly obvious to me that you could trigger random side events that related to blank spaces in your notebook so I naturally sought them out. Which was the only point I was making. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This just in: people play games differently to one another.

In summary: I love Shenmue as much as anyone; I have the tattoo for crying out loud, but there's no such thing as "playing it wrong" or not playing it as good as someone else. Making you wait a whole day to progress the story is frustrating. I can admit that. I don't blame anyone for running down the clock in situations like that, if they don't feel like training or buying capsule toys. Not everyone is going to want to do that.

Let's treat Shenmue for what it is: a wildly ambitious, superbly detailed, heartfelt video game that, like most games, has flaws that some people don't mind at all and others mind a lot. It isn't sacred and it doesn't need people to defend its honour. Be happy that you love it. Not everyone has to.

I can agree with all that but I don't think my initial point was disingenuous at all. The original point was that the game offers a lot of what disc 3 has earlier in gulps and a lot of it can be found by random exploring. I'm not expecting them to find everything the first go around, because a part of the allure of Shenmue is replaying it and doing things differently and finding new things altogether. But discovering the move list all the way on disc 3 could have been alleved if they gave the game a proper shot much earlier. They tried stuff out and just left it to rot and I think they could have gotten more enjoyment much earlier if they explored what the game has to offer, particularly the fighting system and the moves list. That's all. Shenmue isn't for everyone, but it was almost as if they wrote the game off from the very beginning which went into their very lukewarm attitude towards its mechanics and systems. Which, you know, is fair, but saying it's disingenuous to point that out is bullshit. But it honestly doesn't matter now because they're enjoying the game more, are far more open-minded than what I gave them credit for, and this argument is pointless and repetitively dull.

Also fisking is awful. Plz.

When they've had to wait for a prolonged period of time, they've always tried to fill that time by asking around and doing the mini-game stuff they know about: arcade, capsules, pool, entering the raffle etc. (apart from the one time they left the game).

Just not true. Off the top of my head I can think of the time they ran up and down Dobuita for hours in game doing nothing at all. The whole "fire bloy" bit. There's been other smaller instances as well.

if they don't feel like training or buying capsule toys. Not everyone is going to want to do that.

Want to? They didn't know you could. Vinny asks if there's anything else and Dan says "all I remember is arcade games & capsule toys." What are you talking about? I don't understand this progression: "it's not their fault they don't know" "well the game explicitly tells you" "not everyone is gonna want to spar."

Honestly for most of your post I don't know who you're even responding to. It's like you've interpreted a hostility toward GB that's just not there and you're addressing that more than anything I've said. I'm mostly enjoying the latest eps of this ED anyway and made a fairly innocuous point, I think, about the early goings ~ Disk 1. I don't want to bring this thread back to a played out debate from earlier on so I'll leave it at that.

orient

Neo Member
Shenmue isn't for everyone, but it was almost as if they wrote the game off from the very beginning which went into their very lukewarm attitude towards its mechanics and systems. Which, you know, is fair, but saying it's disingenuous to point that out is bullshit.

Meh, I don't agree with that. Alex, maybe, but he's a pessimistic kinda guy. Vinny had no clue what to expect -- he just takes things as they hit him -- and Dan's extremely positive on the game. I think they're being fair.

Also fisking is awful. Plz.

Fair enough. I just can't stand this mentality that they aren't "doing the game justice" or whatever because they've missed some side content. Stuff that, by its very nature, is designed to be optional and not integral to the experience.

Want to? They didn't know you could. Vinny asks if there's anything else and Dan says "all I remember is arcade games & capsule toys." What are you talking about? I don't understand this progression: "it's not their fault they don't know" "well the game explicitly tells you" "not everyone is gonna want to spar."

Yeah, really not sure what you're talking about anymore so let's leave it at that.

openrob

^^^
I think you guys might need to chill a bit.

Anyway, I really hope they nail the fighting in 3. Regardless of what the giant bomb people said, Shenmue fighting system feels good.

I would love for PvP as well, or even multiplayer co-op brawls. It wouldn't be that hard to implement

orient

Neo Member
^^^
I think you guys might need to chill a bit.

Anyway, I really hope they nail the fighting in 3. Regardless of what the giant bomb people said, Shenmue fighting system feels good.

I would love for PvP as well, or even multiplayer co-op brawls. It wouldn't be that hard to implement

Well, from everything Yu Suzuki's said about the combat in S3, I'm doubtful it's going to be the same VF-inspired system. I think it's going to be much more streamlined, along the lines of more modern 3rd person games like Batman.

openrob

Well, from everything Yu Suzuki's said about the combat in S3, I'm doubtful it's going to be the same VF-inspired system. I think it's going to be much more streamlined, along the lines of more modern 3rd person games like Batman.

:(
We don't need another Sleeping Dogs
Well, ok - maybe we do!
But I want Shenmue to be Shenmue

BOTEC

:(
We don't need another Sleeping Dogs
Well, ok - maybe we do!
But I want Shenmue to be Shenmue

Well if you think about it, Sleeping Dogs/Batman combat is esentially Shenmue combat distilled. Fighting game mechanics with button prompt QTEs thrown in the mix.

And I totally need a new Sleeping Dogs ;_;

Riposte

I really hope this isn't true lol

Sweet I just watched the Game Informer play through last week. They're not as consistently funny as Vinny (they do have some great moments though) but it was a better run of the game.

Spaghetti

Are they planning on playing the whole game? At this point I won't have to play the game lmao
It's still worth playing for yourself, IMO.

You can watch the Super Replay/GameTrailers run after you've played it, if you like. The GameTrailers one is pretty great because of the fact Shenmue III gets announced mid-way through the playthrough.

tom seemed sweet at first he was all there jamming and shit

then you realize that his character has NO FUCKING PURPOSE. You can't even buy hot dogs from him. And he never has answers for questions.

Also neither does Honey-san, what's your point.

Phu

Banned
tom seemed sweet at first he was all there jamming and shit

then you realize that his character has NO FUCKING PURPOSE. You can't even buy hot dogs from him. And he never has answers for questions.

Also neither does Honey-san, what's your point.

That's because they missed the scene that only happens during the second week if you find Ine in the kitchen and share a can of cat food with her. She'll tell Ryo never to spend his allowance on hot dogs from Tom because the two of them have a history where Tom screwed her over and and claimed ownership of her food truck.

totes legit i swear

That's because they missed the scene that only happens during the second week if you find Ine in the kitchen and share a can of cat food with her. She'll tell Ryo never to spend his allowance on hot dogs from Tom because the two of them have a history where Tom screwed her over and and claimed ownership of her food truck.

totes legit i swear

You're joking but even I won't defend Tom. Tom sucks. I remember the Shenmue character poll results on the Kickstarter and Tom and Goro were higher than Xiuying the best character is the series. I remember thinking "I love these games but its fans have terrible taste." Tom is awful.

batfax

Tom is memorable because he stands out the most among all the other useless-tier characters thanks to design and voice acting. He also has that one scene towards the end.

I think Goro actually is a really memorable character. He's just such a weird and silly guy who helps Ryo an awful lot after he learns to fear the Hazuki style. I don't even think he was on that poll though, and yet somehow Tom managed to be higher than both Joy and Xuiying, which is just crazy. At least I remember Ren being high ranking.

I think most character polls are awful though. Nearly any time a character poll comes up, it's some really lame one-note character at the top, or even a character that's just the player's avatar.

Top Bottom