• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

orient

Neo Member
I like Gui Zhang, obviously. Your typical stoic badass, but he has a cool suit. Goro is a great comic relief character because he's just so weird. Tom had so much potential; he just doesn't have any meaningful interaction with Ryo till it's too late. The cast of S2 are more interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mundane "dock" stuff aside, man all the good content seems to have been back loaded into the third disc. It's almost as if the developers just stuffed it all in there because of delays ..

Vinny would shoot himself if he had to do those balancing QTEs at the end of 2.

Overall they'd like 2 more though and now the painful cliffhanger won't bum them out with 3 coming.

It seems they either think
they're going to Hong Kong and/or fight Lan Di
still in the first game.
I wonder if they'll be curious enough to try the second game. Hopefully the number of views will be an extra incentive lol

Spaghetti

Vinny would shoot himself if he had to do those balancing QTEs at the end of 2.
Half the problem there is the D-pad on the Xbox/Xbox 360 controllers, IMO, but it's been a long time since I've tried the game on actual Dreamcast hardware.

But yeah, I think they'll do it even just out of curiosity.

tchocky

From Alex on twitter.

We’re getting near the end of the Shenmue Endurance Run, and I’m feeling some kind of way about it. Wistful? Sad? Something like that.

I’m actually going to kind of miss people telling us how very, very wrongly we’re playing the game. I got used to it.

Like, if you’ve got tinnitus and suddenly you’re cured of it, at some point you maybe start to miss that low ring in your ears.

Also, while I still think Shenmue is a bad video game, I have developed a grudging respect for the ways in which it is a bad video game.

It's been awhile, aren't they largely similar?

Nah.

There are two Xbox controllers. I used the Xbox S.

S is on the left. One of the greatest controllers ever made and basic prototype for the 360 controller.

LC18Pxy.jpg

Notice that the S has a much, much better d-pad than 360 or original Xbox controller. I can't imagine playing with that original Xbox controller, much less doing QTE's with it. Thank fuck for the S.

The Xbox is one of the best systems ever. Where's my Xbox emulator?!?!?

Spaghetti

Nah.

There are two Xbox controllers. I used the Xbox S.

S is on the left. One of the greatest controllers ever made and basic prototype for the 360 controller.

LC18Pxy.jpg

Notice that the S has a much, much better d-pad than 360 or original Xbox controller. I can't imagine playing with that original Xbox controller, much less doing QTE's with it. Thank fuck for the S.

The Xbox is one of the best systems ever. Where's my Xbox emulator?!?!?
Ah, there we are!

Yeah, the D-pad on the S looks pretty good, actually. I must have been thinking of "The Duke" Xbox pad this whole time.

----

Also, it's nice that we've got actual confirmation Alex is tsundere for Shenmue.

I think I'll end up playing Shenmue 2. Though not gonna lie that the long runs of doing absolutely nothing but running around trying to find the next shit to do seem much better with commentary

I think I'll end up playing Shenmue 2. Though not gonna lie that the long runs of doing absolutely nothing but running around trying to find the next shit to do seem much better with commentary

Shenmue II is not Shenmue.

Things to do in II. Most of them based around betting.

- street fights of multiple types (like one fight has you have to grab a dude who gets faster and faster and you have 30 seconds to do it, another may have the rule that you can't get hit or you lose;etc). Of course there's also actual street fights without gimmicks that you can do on the main menu screen with varying levels of difficulty.

- traditional gamble games (dice, roll it on top, big or small).

- arm wrestling with tons of different difficulties between multiple opponents. Your first opponent being a Mexican wrestler who has "stained the mats with blood."

- Lucky Hit. My vice. Drop a marble down cardboard stand with different angles on approach. The goal is to hit a specific place at the bottom. Winning nets you a prize. Various lucky hit boards have different prizes. On some you have rare capsule toys. So if you're hankering for finishing a capsule set you want to finish so you can pawn it off for 500 HKs, lucky hit is probably your game. There's also stands with martial art moves you can get nowhere else but lucky hit. Other boards give straight cash and have multipliers, so you can bet cash at a X 20 stand and if you get that onnnnne spot on the board you can get tons of cash.

- toy collecting. Unlike in 1, toys are actual currency. The goal is to collect an entire set and then keep em for the sake of it or pawn it off for HKS. More than that, II has soooo many more toys to collect. This is also where Shenmue I data transfer comes in. It's really tough to get Forklift 1-5 and complete the set in II to my knowledge because you can't ride a forklift in 2.

- darts. Same as in 1.

- dart bets. At the arcade and bars you'll find people you can bet darts with. They're crazy characters ranging from a guy obsessed with baseball - who throws the dart like a baseball - to lavish dart association winners. Some of them like dart champion are hard as fuck. The goal is to beat them in darts. You bet em cash and then if you win you get some money. If you lose they take yours. Fun as fuck.

- arcade games (Afterburner II, Outrun, Hang On, Space Harrier).

- doing a secret sidequest that has the hardest fight in the series in it unlocks the duck races. You bet on ducks and actually race them around a city district. It's AWESOME. Eventually with enough race wins you get your own duck who you have to level up to stand a chance to win. It's amazing.

- part time jobs (moving crates, lucky hit stand attendant). These are the only two things that suck but not everything is a winner.

Add in two large large cities with lots of events and secret stuff and you've got lots to do.

Never mind that in II you can skip time if you want to. Shenmue II is one of the best game sequels ever made and has more side content than any other open world game of that era with the exception of Morrowind and maybe San Andreas.

Zafir

Sad truth - very few people will ever get to the duck races.

Partially because it's hidden partially because the fights you have to beat are a bit of a piss-take with silly QTE's. :p

My dream is to have an online mode in either Shenmue II HD or Shenmue III. I want to bet people money in darts. Hell yes. But beggars can't be choosers and those resources are better spent elsewhere.

Spaghetti

Sad truth - very few people will ever get to the duck races.

Partially because it's hidden partially because the fights you have to beat are a bit of a piss-take with silly QTE's. :p
*fight

The
Eileen
fight is QTE-free last I checked.

Honestly, the actual QTE in the
Izumi
fight isn't that bad either. It catches you off guard at first, but it's always the same button press with a fairly forgiving timer, and doesn't activate unless you get right up in the opponent's face. The fact that
Izumi
is using Sarah from VF's moveset cranked up to 11 with serious dodging/blocking capabilities makes it way harder than any QTE does.

Still, it's a goddamn satisfying fight. Makes a nice change from the softball goons the game throws at you about 60% of the time and rewards the players who took the time to "git gud" at the combat mechanics.

I always feel burned they didn't add the secret Eileen and Izumi fights to the 'Shenmue Collection' rematches in the main menu; but I've always got the Baihu fight, I guess.

Vinny's seething anger continues to entertain me to no end.

Him singing Let it Go has been my highlight so far.

His anger is not that entertaining I think, it completely lacks any appreciation, perspective or even context from when this game came out and the concept behind it. It just isn't a bad game.

dlauv

There's not much enforced downtime in Shenmue II, so the problem of finding things to do is easily bypassed and will likely be. Even if it tells you what you need to do and lets you loose, sometimes it will confine you to a single quarter.

I think they're going to find less to laugh about and be pretty bored.

There's not much enforced downtime in Shenmue II, so the problem of finding things to do is easily bypassed and will likely be. Even if it tells you what you need to do and lets you loose, sometimes it will confine you to a single quarter.

I think they're going to find less to laugh about and be pretty bored.

The only time you're stuck in a quarter is when getting the Wulinshu and getting info on the Wulinshu and you can time skip anyways.

dlauv

The only time you're stuck in a quarter is when getting the Wulinshu and getting info on the Wulinshu and you can time skip anyways.

Sure, but it might help if they're given the information prior to this sequence so they'll know where to click to activate the time skip. The people on the premises are misleading.

Also, Lucky Hit might be the worst thing in the world. It's going to drive them nuts.

I haven't played Shenmue 2 since release, but are you telling me I didn't have to do that damn crate job if I didn't want to? I swear I have that guy's "WUH HUH! We're putting it down!" voice stuck in my head still after all these years. If that was just some sort of side game that wasn't necessary to accrue cash necessary to advance the plot then...I just don't know what to think anymore.

It was one of many options. Instead, you could have beaten up cave man for less than 10 seconds and made 50 bucks a pop in the docks area, which is one of the only two times you need to accrue cash.

clemmy

- part time jobs (moving crates, lucky hit stand attendant). These are the only two things that suck but not everything is a winner.

I haven't played Shenmue 2 since release, but are you telling me I didn't have to do that damn crate job if I didn't want to? I swear I have that guy's "WUH HUH! We're putting it down!" voice stuck in my head still after all these years. If that was just some sort of side game that wasn't necessary to accrue cash necessary to advance the plot then...I just don't know what to think anymore.

Lucky hit or Lucky Hit attendant? There's lucky hit that's just straight gambling fun and then there's the awful job where you tell WHO WANTS TO PLAY LUCKY HIT? Because one owns and the other is garbage.

Crate moving is only one time thing if you want it to be. Much better ways to get cash.

Spaghetti

Sure, but it might help if they're given the information prior to this sequence so they'll know where to click to activate the time skip. The people on the premises are misleading.

Also, Lucky Hit might be the worst thing in the world. It's going to drive them nuts.
If they get to the part of the quest chain that says directly the Wulinshu is at Man Mo Temple's library (at Wise Men's Kung Fu, or wherever else) and don't walk up to the stairs to activate the time skip, I'd be very, very surprised.

You're only required to do it once.

You've got to make money at two spots in the game, but you've got the gambling, Lucky Hit (finding an easy board is a quick way to boost your $$$), the street fight at the wharf, arm wrestling, darts competitions, and pawning off capsule toy sets.

The crates are an easy guaranteed income; if you're willing to put in the 4 real time minutes for $60 at a time. Grinding it out will make anybody nuts, though. Still, it's worth doing one more time than required in order to get the Brawling Uppercut move instruction.

In what world are the fighting animations/system bad?! At least for a role playing game.

And seconds after that comment, it shows Ryo adjusting his weight/position as he puts his foot on a body of a fallen enemy.

This game came out in 2000.

Can someone verify if Forklift racing has a drafting system? I found it odd that Vinny said 'why would it have a system like that'.. this is a Yu Suzuki game. The man behind Daytona 2.

Yu Suzuki didn't direct Daytona. Nagoshi did. Forklift driving doesn't have drifting. How Vinny played the race in today's ep is how you're supposed to play it: by easing corners with a little gas and not hitting anything.

You're kinda reaching there buddy.

Top Bottom