• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

The main thing that was setting me off as a former forklift operator was driving around with the load raised constantly.

But it's just a videogame. No biggie.

Of course its no biggie but in most games you dont relate anything going on to your daily routine, unless your a real life Witcher.

Tubobutts

The best characters are the Tomato ladies and Vinny's impression of the arcade owner. The mean schoolgirls seemed pretty good but they haven't shown up much.

Worst is a tie between lying Tom and Fuku-San.

The main thing that was setting me off as a former forklift operator was driving around with the load raised constantly.

But it's just a videogame. No biggie.

Not to spoil anything but there is a cutscene coming up soon where Ryo drives with the forks at an appropriate level while carrying a crate. It always stood out to me that it was a different height from normal gameplay. Watch out for it.

When I got a job driving a forklift it felt like years of Shenmue has trained me well.

Zaph

Alex told no lies, Deep Rising is amazing

pkMnub3.jpg

lol @ alex giving the game no credit. the fight & martial arts animations are actually really cool.

Yeah usually for most of what Alex says I laugh and move on but that was one of the times I was like "C'mon, man" especially with Vinny having a decent handle on the fighting it looked like.

Poor Mark. :(

LiK

the fact that it transitions from the open world parts and cutscenes to in-game fight is actually well done for the time. it's old hat now but was innovative for the time.

orient

Neo Member
I forgot how much happens in the first 2 days of working the forklift. I wish they'd made the third day the final day of work; that would've been perfect. Instead, there's another
days, and the next one coming up is extremely uneventful until night time. Working so much kinda kills the pace that the game was doing so well to build up until this point. There are still some awesome scenes to go, though.

Where's the guy that gave me shit for saying disc 3 is action packed and assumed I meant I was talking about the forklift. Love how the shit talk trolls have disappeared. Hope you like apples, troll.

Jintor

yeah it's weird how people would call the bad part of the game bad and not talk about how the kinda cool part of the game is bad

It's pretty silly that the fighting was largely left for the last part though. When people say shenmue 1 was supposed to have more they weren't kidding, but that's a mechanic that for 2/3rds of the game is hardly used. And it's a fairly big mechanic.

Jintor

honestly, i'm really enjoying watching them playing this but i still don't think i'd ever play it myself

a thing i'm repeating to myself a lot is 'really fucking cool for 1999'

It's pretty silly that the fighting was largely left for the last part though. When people say shenmue 1 was supposed to have more they weren't kidding, but that's a mechanic that for 2/3rds of the game is hardly used. And it's a fairly big mechanic.

It's not really inherently silly. A lot of fights can happen earlier but are missable events you get by exploring. Which is why people stressed exploration earlier. Also, Shenmue 1 is a slow burn. The idea is to make the first half about building Yokosuka. The second half is a Kung fu movie game. Whether or not you think it was a mistake to build up the stakes and the location, I think it succeeds. Shenmue games are all about build up. The girl Ryo dreams of? You don't meet her until the second game. In the end, it works. It's not for everyone, and the pacing can be flawed, but there's a catharsis in how the build up is played. It makes the action packed part seem that much more important. Shenmue is not other games. This is why people who compare it to Yakuza are being stupid. In Shenmue, almost every fight has plot relevance. In other games, you fight just to fight. In Shenmue it happens because it needs to happen to tell the story. Whether this works for you or not, I think that takes cojones and is refreshing compared to other games.

SMG

I don't see that, the narrative takes Ryo from his home and local town to a corrupted / gang filled out of the way warehouse distinct. Of course the level of conflict would increase the deeper in Ryo plunged into the criminal underworld.

You have to remember that this was meant to be chapter 1 of 16.

Spaghetti

i think the fights look great but they look like they control like garbage
The controls are actually pretty good. Sometimes Ryo might lock on weirdly to an opponent, but that's what the sweep/roundhouse moves are for, along with the counter.

But yeah, Alex was talking straight shit about the fights. Even today, Shenmue's combat still feels pretty good.

It feels like Vinny is actually starting to enjoy the game a lot more now. He seems to have done a complete 180 on the combat after discovering the move list.

Shenmue combat really does just feel like slightly tweaked VF. Still feels good today and it's actually some of my favorite combat in games.

There's more fights & events earlier on too. Its just you can miss many of them if you're not exploring. There's also the sparring and training. Which anyone would clearly want to devote some time to provided they knew about the move progression.

Yeah Shenmue is methodically paced, but it's not at all just devoid of content until Disk 3. Disk 3 is just far more directed experience.

Top Bottom