• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Oh God, this final puzzle they're doing in the Phantasmagoria 2 Playdate.

Somebody save me pls.

Well designed adventure games often have final puzzles that are extremely difficult that are foreshadowed by similar puzzles earlier in the game.

A good example is the final Voodoo doll puzzle in Monkey Island 2, if done correctly it can make extremely challenging final scenes that don't feel cheap because they've had their rules laid out, making the game feel narratively consistent and the player feel clever. They can also be used to build interesting thematic mirrors and provide context for what the player has been doing all game.

Needless to say none of this applies to Phantasmagoria 2.

Full Throttle is still the best video game candidate for a movie adaptation.

Edit: Is the remaster missing "Born Bad" from the soundtrack? Weird as hell that it'd have all the other Gone Jackals songs but not this one. Edit Edit: It's not missing, I just remembered it playing more often than it did.

Salarians

tumblr_le6dx37tV31qcj2uc.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So do they get the true ending for P4 on the ER?

Im looking at the requirements (just got golden for the vita on the psn sale) and it seems kinda hard to get on a blind first run, especially with them messing up so many days with random activities.

Im looking at the requirements (just got golden for the vita on the psn sale) and it seems kinda hard to get on a blind first run, especially with them messing up so many days with random activities.

They do. People rushed them with a bunch of spoilers during the run and they had to lightly pretend that they didn't know while playing.

They did get it, but they were spoiled on the requirements.

Guess Who

Banned
They do. People rushed them with a bunch of spoilers during the run and they had to lightly pretend that they didn't know while playing.

They did get it, but they were spoiled on the requirements.

I feel like people say this a lot but, other than Jeff knowing the
gas station attendant is important
ahead of time which he says directly in the ER (and even then, Vinny seems to have been oblivious), I've never actually seen or heard why people think things like this were spoiled.

dcassell

Banned
I know this is super late, but the game you're asking about is literally Rogue.

Like the very first game in that style on Amiga? Man, I have had my mind totally filled with all these roguelikes in recent years, I didn't even think about that as a possibility. Very interesting. How does one get good at that game then if there's no consistency?

Anjin M

Like the very first game in that style on Amiga? Man, I have had my mind totally filled with all these roguelikes in recent years, I didn't even think about that as a possibility. Very interesting. How does one get good at that game then if there's no consistency?

Honestly, I never beat Rogue or any of its descendants. (I played Rogue on the 386-20 in the late 80s.) A lot of it was just chance and hoping you'd survive experimentation. The later descendants, like NetHack, were a lot more complex and gave you a number of ways to deduce an item's function.

If you're at all interested in how you'd go about winning the game, I'd point you to The CRPG Addict's NetHack playthrough starting here.

Dany

Banned
First day off in a week and I see there are 100x This is the Run. Are those worth watching, how about UPF last week. I already saw GBE playdate

First day off in a week and I see there are 100x This is the Run. Are those worth watching, how about UPF last week. I already saw GBE playdate

Jeff played PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS on the last segment. You can skip to that if you don't like them playing local multiplayer pixel art indie games.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jeff played PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS on the last segment. You can skip to that if you don't like them playing local multiplayer pixel art indie games.
But it was fun competition. I thought that's what this site needed more of.

And more banana mouth

Jubbe

Eventually you learn when to gamble and when not to. A bit of luck is involved as well obviously. Rogue isn't a particularly good game tbh.

Something like Spelunky is good because it is essentially a skill based game that can be beaten on literally any seed if you are good enough.

strafer

I've played Dragon's Dogma.

Wooo! Okay so I failed a quest called Chasing Shadows, I got spotted by the guy I was tailing, yes I know, that's fucking stupid of me, but the game is really sensitive.

My question is, Am I fucked for life? Did I mess up some important vendor or some shit? I really dont wanna start over.

Jintor

so as someone who won't have free time to watch ThisIsTheRun until two days probably, can someone spoiler the joke for me with the fakeouts or whatever

Gjerven

so as someone who won't have free time to watch ThisIsTheRun until two days probably, can someone spoiler the joke for me with the fakeouts or whatever

Started live, went black and showed prerecorded runs, with live segment between. So when the prerecorded runs ended, the hat on Vinny's head suddenly disappeared, Dan's t-shirt changed... The two last runs were actually live.

GB Unarchived has the archive with time in video comment.

demidar

Wooo! Okay so I failed a quest called Chasing Shadows, I got spotted by the guy I was tailing, yes I know, that's fucking stupid of me, but the game is really sensitive.

My question is, Am I fucked for life? Did I mess up some important vendor or some shit? I really dont wanna start over.

Madeline won't open up her store, which sells some cool stuff, and her quests will be locked off forever.

But I don't think it's a big deal, you can find better stuff elsewhere and the quests are eh.

DD has some branching quests in it, I think, so I wouldn't worry too much strafer.

Speaking of DD, I'd have loved to see whatever their original vision for it was. Really felt the cut corners sometimes, particularly around the quest design and overall story. But the core gameplay (and character creator/pawn system) is so, so good.

Jintor

Started live, went black and showed prerecorded runs, with live segment between. So when the prerecorded runs ended, the hat on Vinny's head suddenly disappeared, Dan's t-shirt changed... The two last runs were actually live.

GB Unarchived has the archive with time in video comment.

thanks mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom