• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Like there are multiple ways his could work better if Nintendo could just be added to have voice chat on the device itself. The you could go through the jack, USB-C or Bluetooth. Why this is the first thing Nintendo came up with we will probably never know.

StoveOven

Banned
I'm not the biggest Life Is Strange fan in the world, but a prequel made by a different team sounds like the worst possible direction they could have gone with that franchise.

Real Hero

I'm not the biggest Life Is Strange fan in the world, but a prequel made by a different team sounds like the worst possible direction they could have gone with that franchise.

well they are doing a proper sequel with a different story so it doesn't really matter

I feel like that's how you end up with a game that just overuses the shit out of the mechanic from the game before, but loses the charm/appeal.

"You could rewind time at crucial points in the first game? How about you can rewind whatever you want to, whenever, at any time! See that bird? Aim at it in first person, lock on, rewind the bird back until it was an egg, and then throw the egg at the bully!"

Joeku

If it's only like two episodes and feels different enough despite the character return, it could at worst be ignorable.

Maybe LiS 2 proper is still a couple years out and SE wanted something cheap (what with the reused assets) to fill in the gaps.

But yeah, fingers crossed they don't super fuck it up.

If it's only like two episodes and feels different enough despite the character return, it could at worst be ignorable.

Maybe LiS 2 proper is still a couple years out and SE wanted something cheap (what with the reused assets) to fill in the gaps.

But yeah, fingers crossed they don't super fuck it up.

It mentions that Deck Nine built a new engine before working on their presumed LiS prequel, so I'd hope it's at least as substantial as the first game.

Also, all of TellTale's misadventures with shorter games turned out really bad and unsatisfying. TWD: 500 Days is like an interactive trailer, and TWD: Michonne only suffered by having three episodes (instead of the regular five). Whoever it is that own's LiS (S-E I guess) shouldn't make the same mistake.

Joeku

It mentions that Deck Nine built a new engine before working on their presumed LiS prequel, so I'd hope it's at least as substantial as the first game.

Also, all of TellTale's misadventures with shorter games turned out really bad and unsatisfying. TWD: 500 Days is like an interactive trailer, and TWD: Michonne only suffered by having two episodes less. Whoever it is that own's LiS (S-E I guess) shouldn't make the same mistake.

It's silly for me to assume, but it didn't feel like there was enough left untold in Rachel's story to justify another five episodes, especially since we all know where it goes.

That is, unless there's a wide new cast that all have their own stories, but if they're doing that don't bother with a prequel.

strafer

Life is Strange prequel potentially leaked. By Deck Nine Games, not DONTNOD, so it won't affect the Life is Strange sequel in development there. Seems like it will show at E3, but nothing is confirmed.

Jeff better sharpen his Wikipedia skills. Hella is coming.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Joeku

A LiS prequel by a separate team sounds like a good way to kill interest in a sequel.

Sadly, this is true too, unless LiS 2 is really far away and the setting is wildly different. At worst, Time Walk With Me retroactively damages LiS. At best, it makes Rachel the larger-than-life character we already knew her to be.

But I'm talking out my ass. Maybe it'll have a neat hook and surprise everyone. I'd hope so.

strafer

The Alex, Vinny and Austin playthrough of LiS was an absolute blast.

Seeing Vinny go into dad mode at times was cute.

That jumping from the building sequence was tough.

LiK

I think Waypoint's twitter account single-handedly turned me off the entire site

I had to unfollow it. They way they handle the Twitter account is just plain awful. It's such a tryhard to be clever or funny. I feel Austin should've wrangled in the way it's been used. I dunno who handles the account but it's just tasteless for the most part.

daveo42

Banned
Sadly, this is true too, unless LiS 2 is really far away and the setting is wildly different. At worst, Time Walk With Me retroactively damages LiS. At best, it makes Rachel the larger-than-life character we already knew her to be.

But I'm talking out my ass. Maybe it'll have a neat hook and surprise everyone. I'd hope so.

Yeah, this is not something I want to play.

I haven't even read the details but a Rachel story seems even worse. I'm not even sure how telling her story adds anything and it adds to my worry that LiS2 will be another Max story instead of something new. Man...i hope I'm wrong.

Joeku

I had to unfollow it. They way they handle the Twitter account is just plain awful. It's such a tryhard to be clever or funny. I feel Austin should've wrangled in the way it's been used. I dunno who handles the account but it's just tasteless for the most part.
It's Danika.
I haven't even read the details but a Rachel story seems even worse. I'm not even sure how telling her story adds anything and it adds to my worry that LiS2 will be another Max story instead of something new. Man...i hope I'm wrong.

There really aren't details; just some concept art and a couple screenshots. Certainly looks like a Chloe + Rachel + crew of ruffians type thing.

If Life is Strange 2 has anything to do with Arcadia Bay or it's cast I'm gonna riot. This prequel looks like SE just hedging its bet.

oti

Banned
Life is Strange prequel potentially leaked. By Deck Nine Games, not DONTNOD, so it won't affect the Life is Strange sequel in development there. Seems like it will show at E3, but nothing is confirmed.

Jeff better sharpen his Wikipedia skills. Hella is coming.

I can totally picture Square Enix Japan looking at the sales numbers completely befuddled as to why this game does so well and then going ALL IN ON DAT hot new thing.

Joeku

I can totally picture Square Enix Japan looking at the sales numbers completely befuddled as to why this game does so well and then going ALL IN ON DAT hot new thing.

3 million players is a lot, but who knows how many of that is the first (free) episode.

And given everything else they say, more than any other publisher they seemingly have no fucking idea what kind of numbers their games are going to sell.

Curufinwe

A short video on the history of Wipeout featuring Tim Wright aka CoLD SToRAGE, and former Wipeout community manager/Feisar pilot cosplayer Ami Nakajima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc6-3ZJaw_g

The Alex, Vinny and Austin playthrough of LiS was an absolute blast.

Seeing Vinny go into dad mode at times was cute.

That jumping from the building sequence was tough.

It was very good, and better than BitE. Yakuza 0 is surely a better videogame, but LiS was more fun to watch the guys play.

That reminds me, I guess we're never getting a sequel to Contradiction.

Zaph

Waypoint's twitter can be a bit much, but honestly GB could have really benefited from a dedicated social/comms person. Unless you read a community like this, GB doesn't make it easy to follow along with their content and general goings-on.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Waypoint's twitter can be a bit much, but honestly GB could have really benefited from a dedicated social/comms person. Unless you read a community like this, GB doesn't make it easy to follow along with their content and general goings-on.
Yeah, for a CBSi owned company, they seem to be kind of happy to be in their bubble or whatever you want to call it. Even their yt channel is more of a backup or an "also on youtube" option for them.

daveo42

Banned
There really aren't details; just some concept art and a couple screenshots. Certainly looks like a Chloe + Rachel + crew of ruffians type thing.

If Life is Strange 2 has anything to do with Arcadia Bay or it's cast I'm gonna riot. This prequel looks like SE just hedging its bet.

Right there with you on that because fuck going back there. The other option is that (end game spoilers)
they go alternate ending with Max and Chloe or go even further where Rachel gets time powers (it was hinted at in the first game as far as I remember) and then you go super alternate timeline where she survives and Max doesn't even show up.
All of this seems like bad ideas everywhere. Again, hopefully I'm completely wrong here and if we're getting a prequel, that it doesn't fuck with the original game and it isn't used as part of the sequel.

LiK

The problem with GB's social meda presence is that the GB account is manned by Rorie and he's too busy with the CSR and merch stuff to really do anything with it, imo. We get all our updates from the GB crew themselves. I don't really know why I need to follow the GB account, tbh.

Harpuia

Yeah I'll give them that. In this day and age #engagement and having a #brand is important because, well that's the name of the game!

That being said I respect Danika's efforts but the waypoint Twitter suuuuuuuccckkks. It's So bad. A while ago I remember Austin talking about these type of Twitter accounts and I was all "my dude did you look at your site's Twitter????". Their podcast is good stuff and I wish they made more video content but I get that writing is their jam. Even if I only read Austin's articles.

Though it'd be Rorie that would helm that effort if that's something they wanted to do and I find the thought funny. Actually now that I'm thinking about it how do new peeps find giantbomb. This seems something CBSi would yell to the fucking clouds about at Jeff during meetings.

derFeef

Their social media approach is fine. I don't see GB as a single entitity, it's personality driven content. The facebook feed is weird enough with how late it always is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Their social media approach is fine. I don't see GB as a single entitity, it's personality driven content. The facebook feed is weird enough with how late it always is.
It's especially weak because it is personally driven content.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I actually had to laugh at Brad's "Dude, what??" when Ben didn't know Zork. Grand Inquisitor was the last one and that came out as a niche game in 1997 lol

edit: Just looked it up, it didn't even get good reviews. There's almost no reason to know about Zork in 2017 as a 2x year old, honestly.

But who would drive the account? Everyone, but with a sign after the post like /jeff ?
I don't know what would work for them. Similar sites engage their audience more directly, especially on Youtube, but they don't use that site like that.

speaking of Zork would you guys mind helping me flesh out my erotic Zork fan-fiction

all I have so far is "you are likely to be eaten out by a grue"

Curufinwe

Abby never heard of Seaman.

Ben doesn't know what Zork is.

This is when you feel old.

Ben's knowledge of older games and media is generally impressive, though.

The youngest guy on the Bombcast being the staunchest supporter of the 90's Simpsons made me smile.

Valtýr

Seeing you all complain about Waypoint's twitter is pretty entertaining. It's so clearly a "oh man this is totally not for me but i'm going to yell at the cloud anyway" scenario but nobody is self aware enough to realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom