• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, different majors are more library focused than others. I was in design and I didn't really have to use the library for much, but I do like researching design and design history so I was there a lot. More often than not it's just to use the computers for design work though.

I did start at a technical college that allows you to go to a degree course though. If I went straight to a degree course I probably had to do more theory research.
And be woefully underprepared for real world design work.

daveo42

Banned
I spent tons of time in the library during college doing research. As for Dan, I regard him as an anomaly and a reminder that the world is a strange and twisted place.

What's wrong with Persona 5 that it seems like so many people bounced off of it? Just not different enough from P4?

Maybe. It could also be that it's paced a bit weird or the MC isn't treated like the hottest shit in the universe.

What's wrong with Persona 5 that it seems like so many people bounced off of it? Just not different enough from P4?

Though I have other issues with it, that's a lot of my problem. Persona 3 was a huge step forward six years after Persona 2. Persona 4 was very similar to Persona 3 (though it also removed a bunch of stuff) but that was only 1-2 years later in the same era. Persona 5 is almost a decade after Persona 4 and it feels like the Persona experience to expect in 2010, not 2017.

Antiwhippy

I'll just say that the dungeons aren't really a massive improvement? It's slightly more engaging but the puzzles aren't great and sometimes it's less irritating to blast through dungeons in 3/4 without having to worry about some not amazing dungeon gimmicks. It's why people don't quite like the 5th one or most of the latter ones.

Dungeons in 5 are still super easy to blast through.

Persona Q still has the best dungeons in the series.

Meneses

I don't know. I loved it and couldn't really put it down while I was playing it. It's actually the first Persona game I finished, the previous ones got me bored at some point.

It would have been better if it was a bit less "wordy", and I was expecting a better soundtrack but that's mostly due to the grating main singer.

All things considered, it's a solid number three on my list behind Yakuza and Nier.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
DAN RETWEETED PICS FEATURING ABBY RUSSEL IN 2015

*clap* COLLUSION *clap*

And people were even making jokes about Patrick already.

SYAplFB.jpg

Antiwhippy

I don't know. I loved it and couldn't really put it down while I was playing it. It's actually the first Persona game I finished, the previous ones got me bored at some point.

It would have been better if it was a bit less "wordy", and I was expecting a better soundtrack but that's mostly due to the grating main singer.

You'll never see it coooooomin'

daveo42

Banned
Honestly, P5 being mostly the same as 3 and 4 in structure was expected after how well P4G was received on the Vita. Maybe their time on a fantasy project will do them good to move on from the school aspect and bring more to the dungeons.

Personally, I loved the changes they included in 5,including the updates to dungeons. More varied and difficult puzzles would have been nice. Same with better pacing over the course of the year.

I'll just say that the dungeons aren't really a massive improvement? It's slightly more engaging but the puzzles aren't great and sometimes it's less irritating to blast through dungeons in 3/4 without having to worry about some not amazing dungeon gimmicks. It's why people don't quite like the 5th one or most of the latter ones.

Dungeons in 5 are still super easy to blast through.

Persona Q still has the best dungeons in the series.

I'm in this weird cycle with Q where I start a new file, play for like three hours, forget about it for like five months and start over again.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Didn't a ton of people bounce off of P3 and P4 ass? Me included, and I play a ton of jrpgs.
I feel like one of the problems was that P5 became a much more "mainstream" title than P3 and P4, because of the stylish visuals and P4's positive word of mouth/ER.
If you have a ton of people who normally don't play/enjoy jrpgs play one, no matter how stylish it is, many will bounce off of it hard.

As for fans of P3/4 who were disappointed, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Like I said, I personally got bored of P3 and 4 around 12-25 hours in, so I'm hardly what you'd call a persona fan (loved the ER though!), but P5 is one of my favorite games ever.

Meguro

Banned
Well I just finished the FF14 Stormblood story and honestly, who needs numbered FF games anymore. Just play the FF14 storylines as they come out and you're good.
That was a ton of fun.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's an average EO game but an amazing persona game.
It was really fun, I loved character interactions. Also felt much more accessible than EO games.
Well I just finished the FF14 Stormblood story and honestly, who needs numbered FF games anymore. Just play the FF14 storylines as they come out and you're good.
That was a ton of fun.
But 14 is a numbered game. That's how they get you!

Persona Q is the best if you ignore everything outside of the dungeons and
the inclusion of the last dungeon.

Yeah Persona Q would have been much better as a 50-60 hour game instead of a 70-80 hour game. I liked what I played but I got super burnt out by the fourth dungeon and knowing there's a whole fifth dungeon after that does not make me super excited to go back to it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I sent the latest Beastcast with the timecode for the space discussion to a friend of mine who studies space-stuff* and she has texted me like 20 middlefingers over the last 30 minutes. I think she might have some issues with a couple of things that were said in that segment.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah Persona Q would have been much better as a 50-60 hour game instead of a 70-80 hour game. I liked what I played but I got super burnt out by the fourth dungeon and knowing there's a whole fifth dungeon after that does not make me super excited to go back to it.

I think it does ramp up dungeon complexity well and from what I remember, the final dungeon works well, but yes. Each dungeon ran a bit longer than it needed and I was ready to put the game down before starting the final area. I'd love another Persona Q tho.

oti

Banned
I sent the latest Beastcast with the timecode for the space discussion to a friend of mine who studies space-stuff* and she has texted me like 20 middlefingers over the last 30 minutes. I think she might have some issues with a couple of things that were said in that segment.

give us details

Antiwhippy

Only a couple?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
give us details

She hasn't answered my question if she considers herself a builder or if she is one of the space people, she just keeps sending me these ��
Edit: She is (or possibly was) a casual GB fan btw, she just doesn't listen to every podcast so I had to make sure she hears this

daveo42

Banned
She hasn't answered my question if she considers herself a builder or if she is one of the space people, she just keeps sending me these 🖕

Is she pissed cause she wouldn't get a spot on the trip because shes not an architect? I hear they'll need as many as they can get to build homes on Mars.

Ashby

Yeah let's not assume that a girl being associated with a guy automatically means she's their girlfriend.

I didn't realize that could be construed as a negative, but yeah, I get the reaction. What I really was asking was who Casey Malone is. He's active with the GB staff on Twitter but I can't recall any video content with him. Has he made appearances?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I wonder how many suggestions they've gotten for a Dan-driven Rimworld series since Friday's podcast. Pretty important to have builders in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom