• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I guess anything would be compared to what came before it. Why did Brad think it was a good idea to play Undertale?

Because it's also nice to hear the contrasting conversation between ben and jeff?

Like what the hell do people actually want from upf anymore? They bring in games, they either talk about it or talk about something else.

Hasney

Haven't heard the film and forties yet (was planning to watch the movie with it but i think i might just listen to it independently) but from Twitter it did seem like she's drunk of her ass during it.

She doesn't strike me as someone who's too cool for everything though.

It's probably better without the move to be honest. I ended up turning them off and just watching the movie in the end.

I guess anything would be compared to what came before it. Why did Brad think it was a good idea to play Undertale?

Videogames were played on the show where they play videogames they want to play.

- J - D -

It was fun but it eventually became the Jackbox / Gang Beasts thing of "this is clearly what they do when they run out of ideas for the live stream and boy does it seem like the run out of ideas a lot"

I never get tired of watching Jackbox/Gang Beasts though. But I agree that those are desperation choices.

Like Little Caesar's on a Tuesday night.

oti

Banned
I think that might have been the worst UPF ever.

The Pac-Man game seemed boring and them constantly shitting on it sure didn't make it any more fun.

I just skipped Undertale because why would you play a port of that game on UPF anyway and isn't the whole point of Undertale to be surprised? I want to play it myself at some point.

Skipped Nidhogg 2. I've seen enough Nidhogg 1&2 for my entire life.

Great UPF showcase for all those free trials, guys.

A whole hour of this UPF is Nidhogg 2 huh.

The solution to that, and most of the other UPFlike issues (no matter which coast bothers you)...

CW61HC9.jpg

Because it's also nice to hear the contrasting conversation between ben and jeff?

Like what the hell do people actually want from upf anymore? They bring in games, they either talk about it or talk about something else.

From what I know of Undertale, its not something that you can really play for 20 minutes and get anything out of it.

And that conversion amounted to:
Jeff: I didn't play much of this.
Ben: I like this game.

Antiwhippy

I mean even back when upf was considered fun by most here to watch is not exactly uncommon for them to bring in the local multiplayer game they were into at that time.

From what I know of Undertale, its not something that you can really play for 20 minutes and get anything out of it.

I mean they go into their reasons why, but sure you can reduce it like that.

Hasney

I really enjoyed UPF, especially the Nidhogg 2 segment. So it was a fantastic free trial stream for people like me AKA those with good taste.

Steal My Sunshine is

Dan: This is a good game
Other people: No it is not

Wunder

There's really no point in trying to reason with UPF/GBW shitposts anymore. Even after a "good" UPF like the That's You one, people will still complain. They can and will always find some reason to talk shit about why UPF was terrible.

I'm not saying UPF is the greatest premium feature going right now or that GBW can improve their output or enthusiasm, but man, after months of this you might think it's better to just focus on the positives that GB has? I don't see the point in constantly posting the same negative thoughts again and again when there's legitimately great content to be talking about

Antiwhippy

I am actually curious to what people actually want out of upf really.

Don't bring in the game you're interested in.

Don't bring in a game to shit on it (nevermind that the last playdate was all about shitting on bad games and it was very good)

Don't bring in the local couch multiplayer game that you like even though the format was built for it.

What else is there?

Don't bring in a game to shit on it (nevermind that the last playdate was all about shitting on bad games and it was very good)

Don't bring in the local couch multiplayer game that you like even though the format was built for it.

What else is there?

Get out of the office

Antiwhippy

There's really no point in trying to reason with UPF/GBW shitposts anymore. Even after a "good" UPF like the That's You one, people will still complain. They can and will always find some reason to talk shit about why UPF was terrible.

I'm not saying UPF is the greatest premium feature going right now or that GBW can improve their output or enthusiasm, but man, after months of this you might think it's better to just focus on the positives that GB has? I don't see the point in constantly posting the same negative thoughts again and again when there's legitimately great content to be talking about

No i don't actually mind them posting their negative thoughts that much.

It's just that at this point i don't know what they actually want.

What else is there?

Maybe the problem isn't with the games they're bringing in????????

The Pac-Man game seemed boring and them constantly shitting on it sure didn't make it any more fun.

I just skipped Undertale because why would you play a port of that game on UPF anyway and isn't the whole point of Undertale to be surprised? I want to play it myself at some point.

Ugh that video that I skipped all of was so bad

if it had undertale then it was definitely the worst upf

What else is there?

Personally speaking, there is no one aspect of UPF that they could change to suddenly make it great again. I think there is just a general lack of engagement. Now, I know people will bring up Blue Bombin' as a show where they barely talk about the game being played at all, but that has a secret sauce: Vinny. Vinny is fantastic at starting interesting conversations and steering them in fruitful directions. Far too often UPF feels like a rudderless ship.

That being said, I still enjoy UPF, I've just given up on watching it live.

The Battle Royale F&40s was fantastic. Them just relating everything back to PUBG was hilarious. I think in squad games they should make you kill your teammates at the end. Let the shit get real raw.

Then you just don't like the personalities of gbw. Fine whatever, i don't give a shit, but it's more the people who seem to complain about what the format should be.

if I didn't like the people at GBW I probably wouldn't have gotten into the site to begin with

and let's not act like this is a "me" problem either

there's been plenty of recent talk outside of this thread about UPF's decline

hell, there are people in the comments for this week's episode talking about how the show isn't what it used to be

Teddified

I mean even the first UPF was them just bringing on things they wanted to play or check out. Castlevania LOS and brad bringing Brotherhood for example.

I would like some theme type episodes though, where they pick a publisher or genre or something and each choose a game from it. But oh well it's hard to say what they envision UPF as these days since they never really talk about it, just bring games they wanna check out and hang out for 2 hours basically.

Antiwhippy

if I didn't like the people at GBW I probably wouldn't have gotten into the site to begin with

and let's not act like this is a "me" problem either

there's been plenty of recent talk outside of this thread about UPF's decline

hell, there are people in the comments for this week's episode talking about how the show isn't what it used to be

But that's what I'm asking.

What is needed to be changed, according to people who feels like the format isn't what it used to be?

Because even back then for every Lego island bit we also got upfs like this. Just a bunch of dudes sitting on the couch playing whatever.

Personally speaking, there is no one aspect of UPF that they could change to suddenly make it great again. I think there is just a general lack of engagement. Now, I know people will bring up Blue Bombin' as a show where they barely talk about the game being played at all, but that has a secret sauce: Vinny. Vinny is fantastic at starting interesting conversations and steering them in fruitful directions. Far too often UPF feels like a rudderless ship.

That being said, I still enjoy UPF, I've just given up on watching it live.

What is needed to be changed, according to people who feels like the format isn't what it used to be?

Because even back then for every Lego island bit we also got upfs like this. Just a bunch of dudes sitting on the couch playing whatever.

I've watched UPF for years, and still watch it every Saturday morning as part of my breakfast routine into the weekend.

The times I remember the show being "good" was when they would all bring random bullshit to subject each other to. It wasn't always the best games, but it sure as hell wasn't "Hey we found this Steam trash" or "Let's play with the community." It was either games they legitimately wanted to play, or games that they knew were goofy/fun.

There were UPFs that were straight fighting games or like Windjammers, but that was in-house competition and they were all fired the hell up together and having a good time. I also think when it was Whiskey Media Happy Hour it was always fantastic, but that's a different 'show' so I won't include that.

Jeff used to read fucking Space Jam during his segments. THAT is what UPF is to me, haha.

It's probably formulaic to a fault (thirty minutes of a game and move on, rinse and repeat) and the games they bring in may have a bit to do with that, but generally I'm more with what J.W. Stillwater said. The bigger issue with UPF (and West as a whole, really) is that most of the time it feels like they're there because they have to be, and it's hard to be interested in their content when it doesn't even seem like they are. I mean, Christ, Jeff had to step in the comments of a recent Bombcast and ask somebody where exactly they got the impression that he was phoning it in. East could do pretty much anything and make it entertaining since the crew they have is comprised of diverse personalities that are excited about what they're doing. Meanwhile, West has felt like they've been spinning their wheels for ages, and I'm tired of tuning in thinking the Bombcast or UPF this week will be an exception. It's not worth it anymore.

Top Bottom