• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

hamchan

We ain't solving this UPF thing.

Just be happy that GBEast is good enough now that West could make nothing and i would still pay for premium.

Scizzy

So anything that's popular is by definition good? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

please tell me you forgot the /s

I was kidding and I rarely watch all of UPF (though I only watch, probably, 25-30% of all GB content), but I do think that those of us in this thread should realize we're pretty atypical Giant Bomb fans.

TBH I think the only reason UPF is their most popular feature is because it's occupied the same time slot since its inception, unlike anything else. People know exactly when it's gonna be, like clockwork. And it's a thing that's easy to have on in the background. I really would not take much away from the fact that it's their most watched feature. Of course it is. It's the only thing they've had consistently at the same time for years and years.

UPF is best when they bring in games that show well in short bursts that they can have a lot of fun with and goof around.

Problems arise when they bring in games that aren't fun to watch or ones that they don't care for. When they bring in some random steam game that wasn't even worth a quicklook...well yeah that segment is gonna suck.

Vinny was always great at bringing games that worked in the UPF format and Dan was always good for livening things up even when UPF was meh otherwise. I'm not sure what they can do to change things up because it doesn't seem like there is any interest in changing it to begin with.

At least it's still better than a call in show...

Mr. F

Banned
UPF being bad wasn't a surprise, just feels unfortunate that they didn't have more planned for that free trial exposure. Especially with the audio shitting up. Kind of expected it to be like when they have a huge sale or whatever and there's a lot of West content for like a week beforehand/afterward before it drops off again.

We ain't solving this UPF thing.

Just be happy that GBEast is good enough now that West could make nothing and i would still pay for premium.

This is the real takeaway, even having skipped BiTE I feel pretty good about East this year. Glad they've kept their momentum.

edit;

TBH I think the only reason UPF is their most popular feature is because it's occupied the same time slot since its inception, unlike anything else. People know exactly when it's gonna be, like clockwork. And it's a thing that's easy to have on in the background. I really would not take much away from the fact that it's their most watched feature. Of course it is. It's the only thing they've had consistently at the same time for years and years.

Which is funny because the argument that is raised against having more 'regular timeslot' shows on West is Jeff saying they don't want to do anything out of obligation for quality's sake...

Abby had this Coke on the Murder Island pre-show. What is it?

murderislandpreshow.png

Harpuia

I just plain don't watch UPF. Not exactly sure why, I guess it got kinda samey. When Vinny was there it was always a matter of "what's ol Vinny gonna do this time!!". It felt like they always has some kind of trick up their sleeve.

A part of my lack of interest in UPF is also the lack of people outside of GB hopping on the show. I watch the UPFs with guests. If I don't see a guest I give that weeks show a hard pass.

It gave it that surge of life that always made the show interesting. Gamespot started having people leave for other endeavors and with Vinny and Co leaving, it feels a little stale as a result.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's probably formulaic to a fault (thirty minutes of a game and move on, rinse and repeat) and the games they bring in may have a bit to do with that, but generally I'm more with what J.W. Stillwater said. The bigger issue with UPF (and West as a whole, really) is that most of the time it feels like they're there because they have to be, and it's hard to be interested in their content when it doesn't even seem like they are. I mean, Christ, Jeff had to step in the comments of a recent Bombcast and ask somebody where exactly they got the impression that he was phoning it in. East could do pretty much anything and make it entertaining since the crew they have is comprised of diverse personalities that are excited about what they're doing. Meanwhile, West has felt like they've been spinning their wheels for ages, and I'm tired of tuning in thinking the Bombcast or UPF this week will be an exception. It's not worth it anymore.

Thing is even when they are bringing something that they were interested in and having fun with such as the nidhogg 2 segment people still hate on it.

I don't think they are duspassionate at all either. It's what made the dota talk on the last Bombcast actually enjoyable.

I think it's just the personal interests of the West no longer going with the personal interests of other people.

Scizzy

I do think they've made a conscious decision to aim GBeast at GB superfans with the bulk of premium content and GBWest at more casual fans, with more QLs and Unfinisheds. And if forums like these are typical, it makes total sense.

You're gonna get a concussion if you're not careful.

Wearing gloves right now.

Why don't they just use wolves as prison guards 🤔

🤔

Very few people can seperate those in their minds. Dan knows, he just don't care.

I think that's what the most infuriating where he tries to hide under the "im dumb hurr hurr" excuse.

Good on Austin just going in to tackle it by poking holes and not coming off as some condescending. I think the others did well also during the prison discussion.

Thing is even when they are bringing something that they were interested in and having fun with such as the nidhogg 2 segment people still hate on it.

I don't think they are duspassionate at all either. It's what made the dota talk on the last Bombcast actually enjoyable.

I think it's just the personal interests of the West no longer going with the personal interests of other people.

Well, it's one hell of a coincidence that that seems to be happening with more and more people, then.

Antiwhippy

Well, it's one hell of a coincidence that that seems to be happening with more and more people, then.

I mean, it's not really a coincidence at all. Dan and Vinny have pretty specific tastes and type of content that they do want to show, and they moved east.

Like look at what people deride the West for. Fighting games - check. Moba talk - check. Olds games - check. And now i guess local multiplayer games?

They're passionate, but they aren't passionate of the right things to a portion of their fanbase.

I had on UPF on while I played the Diablo 3 DLC. It's fine as background chatter.

This is how I pretty much treat UPF. I'm generally happy just to 'spend time' with the crew for a little while as I'm doing something else, I'm not often focusing on it 100%. (But at the same time, I guess there have been periods of time where it more frequently commanded my full attention, and it would be nice to have more moments where it's engaging.)

I'm about to go back and watch Bioforge for the first time (I subscribed pretty soon after they played it but never went back to watch). Hope it lives up to the hype!

Zaph

I don't know if I'm actually enjoying playing Observer that much, but this aesthetic plus Rutger Hauer is fucking choice.

I think I'm near the end now, and I've enjoyed it, but it's way more of a traditional horror game than a cyberpunk game. But I probably should have expected that given their last game.

I don't know if I'm actually enjoying playing Observer that much, but this aesthetic plus Rutger Hauer is fucking choice.

Something tells me it'll be like SOMA where the act of playing it isn't as interesting as its themes and story. I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow with Sonic Mania. Going through Tacoma right now and I'm not sure that I love it all that much? Like the thing I love most about it is that it has this sort of "fly on the wall" aspect to it as you basically listen into as well as look at the crew's movements via AR recordings.

With Gone Home there was a sort of personal touch to it all that made it a much warmer experience? This feels colder BUT I know that both are going after different things so in that sense they can't be fully comparable, it's just that I prefer what Gone Home did more. Nevertheless, I still feel What Remains of Edith Finch reigns supreme even though that game is even more different than both Gone Home & Tacoma.

Antiwhippy

Well considering I'm only about 10 hours in and I think I'm done with it, no. I see the appeal though

I think i still really want to give that a go.

I'm far enough away from far cry style games that I'm willing to give it another go.

Hindl

I'm far enough away from far cry style games that I'm willing to give it another go.
Then you'll definitely like it. I have my gripes with it but it's a very well put together one of those. Although one thing I liked about Far Cry 4 was the traversal speed that the wingsuit gives you. Horizon's lacking that

ryseing

I came back to HZD recently in prep for Frozen Wilds.

When the combat clicks it is exceptional. I recently got the rope caster thingy and it adds a new dimension with tying down and such.

But is it better than botw.

Before coming back I would have said no. But, I really like Aloy, I really like the story which goes some fucked up places, and I like the dungeon equivalents.

BoTW's great but ultimately Horizon just hits more of what I enjoy in a game.

BTA

Has... has anyone played Splatoon 2 lately?

Because apparently the hot new trend in Fake Miiverse is outright transphobia and what the fuck is going on?

I saw a positive post the other day (and there are still a couple now) and figured it was someone being cool, not because that was an effort to respond to people deciding to be fucking terrible in multiple posts in my lobby.

Was it here that someone brought up the MAGA stuff being there the other day? Because holy shit am I ever sorry for doubting you.

Top Bottom