• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Didnt like at all the latest xcom video with Alex and Vinny. Its a shame the show changed from a fun chaotic adventure of 3 different people having to deal with the mess of others to just Vinny playing/directing the game. From a fun format to their typical normal one of one playing (Vinny by proxy) and another person giving commentary.
If they were destined to fail then so be it.
And all this probably because of the super exagerated whining on Dan episode.

Yeah, Vinny's basically dropped any pretenses of neutrality, but I guess it makes sense given that it's his baby and he's been wanting to do this for a while.

If they were destined to fail and it played out that way the series would be over in two more episodes.

If that's what's going to happen, then let it happen. Don't go back on the format because of the consequences.

(not saying it would, but "Vinny take the wheel" is kind of a bummer)

Joeku

If that's what's going to happen, then let it happen. Don't go back on the format because of the consequences.

(not saying it would, but "Vinny take the wheel" is kind of a bummer)

That's a problem with the way the whole game is balanced, and I'm sort of okay with Vinny fucking with it for the sake of the series lasting.

Edit: Again, though, if they just murder their way through the last 2/3rds of the game with almost no deaths, that's going to be just as uninteresting. Hopefully they fuck up enough.

That's a problem with the way the whole game is balanced, and I'm sort of okay with Vinny fucking with it for the sake of the series lasting.

Edit: Again, though, if they just murder their way through the last 2/3rds of the game with almost no deaths, that's going to be just as uninteresting. Hopefully they fuck up enough.

It compromises the point of the whole series, though, and it's not like there aren't plenty of other games they could try this out with.

Salarians

Q6BgvjS.jpg

Watch Black Sails, people.
Black Sails totally would work as a flowery Clamp-esque manga

huh

Joeku

It compromises the point of the whole series, though, and it's not like there aren't plenty of other games they could try this out with.

If Vinny's been trying to sell this series since Austin was with them, I think he very much meant that the format applies specifically to XCOM. That game hanged with GB more than maybe any other strategy game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair part of it has to do with Alex as well. He's really indecisive.

He was pretty overbearing with Abby last time though.

Antiwhippy

I don't mean like specifically with Abby, more about that's when he started to issue more commands on what needed to be done during an X-com battle.

oti

Banned
Seeing how they've reacted to all the weird shit around splat2n (like how jeff reacted to the voicechat thing last week) I'm going to bet splat2n ain't making it in.

Plus they'll use the "too much likethe first game" thing too.

I want to see how aggressive Abby can get. She loves Splatoon and Splatoon 2 is definitely a better game.

patapuf

If they were destined to fail and it played out that way the series would be over in two more episodes.

I don't know how the power arc of EW goes, but in original XCOM2012, after a big event probably coming in five or six episodes, the rest of the game would be a cakewalk. Hopefully it's balances better here.

It's a bit more balanced but the endgame is still easier than early game for sure.

However, that's only if you had a good early game. With how things went, they'll be challenged right to the end:

- They will most likely loose at least 2 countries by the end of the month, and the rest of asia is most likely screwed as well. This will limit their income ceiling (and asia has one of the best continent bonuses, only africa is better). It's also were their only satelite is so far.

-They've been slow to put up satelites, again, this will impact their already low funds. They also need to build alien containment and planes to protect their new satelites. Planes that will soon be inadequate to face the stronger UFO's.

-They are behind on research, not too much, but still.

-It will take a long time to get a 6th squad member because getting a unit to captain will take much longer now.

One point in their favor is that they've been really lucky on terror missions. They can happen starting the second month and they are nearing the end of the third. If they can make it to the next month without one, they'll be in a good place to face crystallids.

If they wipe again in the next 2 episodes they are done.

Even with Vinny helping a bit, the point where they could cruise is far, far off if it ever comes. And it's not like Vinny is offering expert advice either.

So two thoughts halfway through this QL that I'm watching at 3 AM because I have no cares in the world.

#1: This is a fun Brad/Ben QL, they're having fun.
#2: Knack 2 looks alright.

oti

Banned
Yeah totally. This looks quality
It's one of those "At the beginning you have got all the abilities and then we go back in time so you have to re-learn them all" games.

This is basically vintage God of War for kids. Which sounds totally OK in my book.

Antiwhippy

It's one of those "At the beginning you have got all the abilities and then we go back in time so you have to re-learn them all" games.

This is basically vintage God of War for kids. Which sounds totally OK in my book.

So will we get to push our fingers into gobkin's eyes.

Or have a sex minigame with a female knack.

If Knack ever comes to PS+ , I'll get it.

Though $20 isn't bad (for Knack) but Knack 2 is $40 and probably improved on everything the first did.

Hmmm.

Oh well.

WHY IS KNACK SO APPEALING TO ME.

oti

Banned
So will we get to push our fingers into gobkin's eyes.

Or have a sex minigame with a female knack.
Female Knack? Who said Knack was male?
If Knack ever comes to PS+ , I'll get it.

Though $20 isn't bad (for Knack) but Knack 2 is $40 and probably improved on everything the first did.

Hmmm.

Oh well.

WHY IS KNACK SO APPEALING TO ME.
It's got a very comfy traditional feeling to it. Can't you borrow it for a week or something? Redbox it's called in the US, isn't it?

Zocano

I put in maybe 15 hours into XCOM LW1 in the past 2 days. Probably like 30-40 hours into the campaign (in September of the year).

Honestly don't think I'm enjoying it that much. I feel like I save scum more and more and if I didn't I'd have basically been unable to make ground in the ground game (or would have lost so much but that I wouldn't have been bothered to make it back). I think a combination of not being familiar with the Enemy Within content, Long War's kuh-razy enemy numbers, and being unprepared for the air game has turned a lot of it into a drag in different ways. It's frustrating, cause I want to like it and feel like I should but am not and not anywhere near as much when I was just trying bumble through XCOM 2 commander ironman. But with LW1, I run into stuff that I feel would just trounce me (just ran into Mechtoids very recently) and the will to not save scum isn't there. Especially so when it comes to trying to deal with the air game. The air game just feels so out of my control (when it comes to whether an attack is successful or not) that I just don't want to deal with its RNG ness.

Also having a big fuckoff space ship come up and just knock out a satellite whenever the fuck is kinda irritating in its own right.

derFeef

I am really not enjoying XCOM 2 sadly. I kinda hate the superheroes angle, I much preferred the alien invasion and enemy style from the reboot or EW.

Jintor

I always preferred Xcom as a simulation rather than a board game, yeah
But I am really liking the 4-5 hours I spent yesterday getting familiar with Xcom wotc

"Just when you thought you were safe and secure in your ironic love of Knack, then you found yourself genuinely loving Knack"

Welcome to the sincere liking of Knack.

Q6BgvjS.jpg

Watch Black Sails, people.

I just watched this whole show over the past 2 weeks, it's so much better than I expected. Still thinking about the finale.

I am really not enjoying XCOM 2 sadly. I kinda hate the superheroes angle, I much preferred the alien invasion and enemy style from the reboot or EW.

I feel the same way. I think all of the aesthetics of WotC are terrible and I despise the writing. And the game never fucking shuts up. It's really off-putting.

Antiwhippy

Thing is tiny knack is an ok cute mascot design.

But then the main feature of the game is that you can turn him into a hideous design.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maaaaaaaaan it really doesn't look good for Swery's crowdfunding campaign.
Come on, the guy killed like 4 aliens and saved Exquisite Corps.

Top Bottom