• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

bomma_man

Motion controls are terrible though, they add nothing but frustration to what should be a simple button press, now you have to wave your arms like an idiot and pray that it somehow actually does what you trying to do in the first place. The Pro controller on Switch is the only controller anyone should ever use. It should have been packed in, instead of the terrible joycons that were made for toddler hands. I honestly don't understand how anyone could have played through BotW with a joycon at all.

10 years? Yeah, Nintendo should be done with shoving terrible motion controls on games they have no place in.

UaKgbg.gif

I’m not saying they’re good in all cases or anything, but unless they’re literally broken (fuck you Okami) they’re at worst, benign, and something that you should’ve learnt to deal with after ten years.

In the case of Mario, how, when the right stick is already being used for the camera, could you incorporate the hat mechanic as is without motion controls? It’s not used only to hit enemies or pick ups so an auto lock wouldn’t work, and using the main stick would slow the game down? A button that throws it straight in front of you would be far less flexible, and potentially make it difficult to line things up (see the fire flower in Galaxy). Not saying they won’t or can’t convert it into a “traditional” control scheme, but this isn’t an example of waggle to press button.

Zornack

UaKgbg.gif

I’m not saying they’re good in all cases or anything, but unless they’re literally broken (fuck you Okami) they’re at worst, benign, and something that you should’ve learnt to deal with after ten years.

In the case of Mario, how, when the right stick is already being used for the camera, could you incorporate the hat mechanic as is without motion controls? It’s not used only to hit enemies or pick ups so an auto lock wouldn’t work, and using the main stick would slow the game down? A button that throws it straight in front of you would be far less flexible, and potentially make it difficult to line things up (see the fire flower in Galaxy). Not saying they won’t or can’t convert it into a “traditional” control scheme, but this isn’t an example of waggle to press button.

D-pad?

BTA

I love the Joycons and see absolutely no need to buy a Pro controller. I largely play Switch games while sitting in bed using split Joycons (though I'd say for Rabbids I've been playing with them connected to the screen more). I love playing things that way and several of my Switch-owning friends also prefer it.

I don't know if the motion controls in Odyssey are a great idea but I know motion controls make Splatoon 2 way more enjoyable than it'd be otherwise, for example, so I feel weird writing them off entirely.

is because I'm a millenial

I've just been using my Switch in handheld mode but that was my preference.

Hopefully Odyssey will be doable in handheld mode but I'm sure they'll be some jank involved.

I might buy Pokken Tournament Switch edition lol.

I wonder if they'll give Danny a special send off tomorrow if he does make it UPF. Fun note: When he moves to Maryland, he's moving to Anne Arundel County, which is where I live. It would be so bizarre to just randomly see him around. Though, if I do see him, I am definitely not the type of person that will bug someone if they are just out shopping or something.

Bacon

I wonder if they'll give Danny a special send off tomorrow if he does make it UPF. Fun note: When he moves to Maryland, he's moving to Anne Arundel County, which is where I live. It would be so bizarre to just randomly see him around. Though, if I do see him, I am definitely not the type of person that will bug someone if they are just out shopping or something.

Pretty sure you have mentioned this at least 3 times already

I'm looking at the QL for MvC Infinite and man does it look bad

Like they're on UltronSigmars stage and

UltronSigmar is in the back, and he's just sitting there? Even MK had Shao Kahn in the back emoting and what not. LIke there is no life to this game.

Megasoum

Banned
Watching today's stream whily playing Destiny

Man.... Puyo Puyo in english is such a bummer... Give me back the giant TEEEETTUUURRIISSSS

Zornack

You wouldn't be able to move and throw at the same time - a pretty critical flaw in a platformer!

How does it even work if I'm playing portable? Because if it's how I think it is then I can't even see the screen while I throw the hat, which is even worse.

bomma_man

Paul Keating x Giant Bomb

Definitely adding that gif to my regular rotation

How does it even work if I'm playing portable? Because if it's how I think it is then I can't even see the screen while I throw the hat, which is even worse.

Yeah handheld isn’t ideal, I admit. But we also don’t know how dramatic the movement has to be. Like, if it’s just a solid nudge in the direction you want it to go it might be fine.

BTA

I should be asleep but I played more Heat Signature instead.

I'll probably play more before work when I wake up.

I'm terrible at it and just had someone immediately die on their personal mission (to save their husband, Carbon Love) because they'd gotten hurt so many times before then that ejecting them while bleeding would instantly kill them. But it's great.

Tubobutts

You definitely shouldn't talk to him unless you already have a nice tan.

Jintor

I just imagined Heat Signature but it looked like xcom

wasn't someone theorycrafting about some kind of dream superhero rpg they had in their brains that played like xcom?

that would be fucking dope?!?!

Nintaiyo

Anybody know how long it takes shirts to restock? I wanted to order a Giant Bomb logo tee, but they're out of all sizes except small. I'd imagine that design is popular restocked fairly regularly?

daveo42

Banned
Has Jeff ever talked in depth about his storage solution for all of his games? Like the type of bins he's using and how he has most of it sorted out? I'm looking to do the same kind of thing with most of my games and if there's info out there I'd much rather go that route before sending him a PM or email about something he's already discussed at length elsewhere.

Joeku

Yeah he put it all in uniform plastic bins and talked about a website he uses for sorting (includes barcode scanning and whatnot) on a podcast few months ago. Not sure whether a Jar Time or Bombcast.

swimbuff

Anybody know how long it takes shirts to restock? I wanted to order a Giant Bomb logo tee, but they're out of all sizes except small. I'd imagine that design is popular restocked fairly regularly?

Last time I asked Rorie that he said it usually takes a couple of weeks. Try asking him?

Lunar FC

On part 8 of my Project Beast rewatch. Man this series is so good. Part 6, 7 were a bit of lull due to a total regression where they couldn't even get an orbit in thier new ship, but it part 8 is amazing.

Top Bottom