• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Man, everyone is talking about Mario + Rabbids. As a new Switch owner, the peer pressure is building on me.

I trust you GBGaf.

It's a buy, right?

Can you pick it up easily?
Go for it. As a complete dunce at the genre, it’s very easy and very satisfying to string moves together in that game, and it does a great job of showing you the ropes.

I like the comfort of doing split joycons, but their tiny size and the awkward button/stick placement (particularly on the right one) kind of holds it back for me. I hope they release a slightly larger “joycon pro” that has the room to not place the right stick directly beneath ABXY. If they had something like that I’d probably be 100% split joycon

bomma_man

I like the comfort of doing split joycons, but their tiny size and the awkward button/stick placement (particularly on the right one) kind of holds it back for me. I hope they release a slightly larger “joycon pro” that has the room to not place the right stick directly beneath ABXY. If they had something like that I’d probably be 100% split joycon

They need one with a real d pad in the primary position for retro/2D games

Yeah I do split joycons for games like Rabbids that don't require me to be quick/precise, but I can't do something like Splatoon with them. In Zelda I sometimes even switched depending on what I was doing; if I was just climbing around and exploring I went with split, and when I was planning on doing more combat stuff I put them together.

Man, everyone is talking about Mario + Rabbids. As a new Switch owner, the peer pressure is building on me.

I trust you GBGaf.

It's a buy, right?

Yes, it's definitely worth it if you like turn based strategy games. It starts out pretty easy but ramps up. There are also challenge levels they are actually pretty tough. Highly recommend it!

swimbuff

I trust you GBGaf.

It's a buy, right?

I completely enjoyed what I played of it but I felt pretty done by the end of the third world. Didn't touch the game for a couple weeks, then I heard Jeff say on the Bombcast that he wished he stopped playing where I am now because the game became more difficult but less fun after that. So I haven't gone back to it since.

It's easy to pick up for sure. You'll breeze past the first two worlds. They introduce a little bit more challenge in the third world but you can still easily get perfects on the first try.

hamchan

Game Updates.

Played 5 hours of Final Fantasy XII. Mechanics that seemed like a big weird thing back in the day for Final Fantasy now seem pretty normal. I was iffy on the game when it first came out but now I'm loving it. I've probably been worn down by post XII releases that it's made me look back and realize that the game actually is pretty damn great.

Played some MVC:I. Was shocked at how low quality the presentation is, especially since I still remember MvC3 being cool as fuck. It feels like the lowest budget fighting game this generation. I am enjoying this dumb story though. Frank West said "I've covered wars you know." It being $30 from CDkeys is also making me happy to have bought it.

swimbuff

The Beastcast is such a joy to listen to. Just a bunch of friends goofing off of each other while talking about video games. Also good on Vinny clarifying his approach about the discourse around racism, and acknowledgement of his shortcomings at the end there. That came from the heart.

daveo42

Banned
XII played too much like XI with was a big negative for me. The other being the shift to much more of an ARPG combat system. I think Gambits were pretty great since it let you set up how you wanted your partners to handle combat situations, but letting the game play itself isn't what I'm really looking for in an RPG.

swimbuff

Played some MVC:I. Was shocked at how low quality the presentation is, especially since I still remember MvC3 being cool as fuck. It feels like the lowest budget fighting game this generation. I am enjoying this dumb story though. Frank West said "I've covered wars you know." It being $30 from CDkeys is also making me happy to have bought it.

I've only put in an hour into MvCI and while the presentation is trash, it feels really good to play. I prefer the 2v2 + stone and discrete punch/kick system over MvC3's 3v3 and weird button config.

Wunder

A damn good QL. Cook, Serve, Delicious! is a joy and it seems that the second game is no different.

enjoying it a lot. I loved the first one but I couldn't really deal with the Buzz and creating my own menu every day. There's a lack of polish in this one but the sheer amount of food and new level based system is more appealing to me. He's also working on frequent updates to the actual restaurant management if that was your thing so definitely something to look forward to.

Local co-op looks great too

Tubobutts

I like the idea of Cook Serve Delicious more than actually playing it. It gets to be too much.

I think I just want to make video game food.

BTA

At this point I wish people would stop overexamining every Odyssey thing so some of this potential nonsense could actually be a surprise.

It sucks because it seems like a lot of it's been from map screens not being changed for demos.

I completely enjoyed what I played of it but I felt pretty done by the end of the third world. Didn't touch the game for a couple weeks, then I heard Jeff say on the Bombcast that he wished he stopped playing where I am now because the game became more difficult but less fun after that. So I haven't gone back to it since.

It's easy to pick up for sure. You'll breeze past the first two worlds. They introduce a little bit more challenge in the third world but you can still easily get perfects on the first try.

I think the starts of world 2 and 3 are where I had the most trouble? I've only been playing in bursts every weekend or so (so I'm where you are) but I haven't really had a bad time beyond early world 2. I have no experience with XCOM but I do like more traditional tactics games even though I was not very good at them and have not played them in years.

swimbuff

I think the starts of world 2 and 3 are where I had the most trouble? I've only been playing in bursts every weekend or so (so I'm where you are) but I haven't really had a bad time beyond early world 2. I have no experience with XCOM but I do like more traditional tactics games even though I was not very good at them and have not played them in years.

Yea I had trouble handling the block guys the first time but once I figured out the strategy for them it wasn't a problem anymore. I felt that there wasn't enough depth to your own progression. Your skills and weapons basically contribute to doing more damage per turn, or higher chance of inflicting status effects. The enemies get tougher and gain abilities similar to yours (and more) but your own progression is limited. Anyway I still had fun and didn't regret the purchase. There are simply other games I'd rather devote my limited gaming time to.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I really really liked CSD 1 but it got too stressful for me so I had to quit.

Also I finished Rabbids.
That game is fun and stays fun but it also highlights why XCOM's metagame is such a vital part of that game.
Also also since it's a Ubisoft game I've been staring at credits for what feels like an hour by now.

NkJGe2I.png

BTA

Yea I had trouble handling the block guys the first time but once I figured out the strategy for them it wasn't a problem anymore. I felt that there wasn't enough depth to your own progression. Your skills and weapons basically contribute to doing more damage per turn, or higher chance of inflicting status effects. The enemies get tougher and gain abilities similar to yours (and more) but your own progression is limited. Anyway I still had fun and didn't regret the purchase. There are simply other games I'd rather devote my limited gaming time to.

I mean, a similar reasoning is why I've been playing it so rarely- there's a lot out and coming out, and I like to be only playing a single VN at a time so finishing Collar x Malice before DR V3's taken priority.

Gonna try to wrap it up within the next month at least. I'm sick of not finishing games, which is why (besides Outsider) I came back to Dishonored 2 after 9 months. Hoping to finally see the rest of Mafia 3 in the next couple months as well, and there's a few more things from last year I'd like to play at some point.

Along those lines... I also need to get better at starting some games I've bought immediately before unexpectedly busy times, but that's a different problem.

Top Bottom