• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

thoughts:

1. loving the new beast trend of video openings, makes me excited for goty

2. even though they didn't plan this, having all of the enthusiastic "here's my new content idea!" people on one coast sure does make things feel uneven

3. people have been complaining about brad and jeff not doing enough premium series since, like, before the cbs buyout

4. ben is a special boy and none of the west problems are his fault

5. man i hope the west video producer is as great as abby has been

Zeroro

Holy shit, the intro to Six Crazy Frights is perfect. The absolute best stuff comes out of two video producers working together.

This is 100% true. But he also doesn't ameliorate the problems with West, which you'd think would've been one of the main goals for the new hire. I just think it was a bizarre choice given the holes West had.

It's completely unfair that he is now the face of the issues with GB West, it's not his fault at all.

BTA

thoughts:

2. even though they didn't plan this, having all of the enthusiastic "here's my new content idea!" people on one coast sure does make things feel uneven

3. people have been complaining about brad and jeff not doing enough premium series since, like, before the cbs buyout

I feel all this. I really like Ben even though I haven't watched a lot of West stuff in a long while; I have started listening to the aftershow though and enjoy it.

I do think having another person doing video will help them a lot and hopefully they're more energetic and/or have some unique tastes. When someone like that's around they can pull everyone else with them and that'll change the mood a bit.

Wunder

This is 100% true. But he also doesn't ameliorate the problems with West, which you'd think would've been one of the main goals for the new hire. I just think it was a bizarre choice given the holes West had.

It's completely unfair that he is now the face of the issues with GB West, it's not his fault at all.

While true, that requires people out West to recognize that there is a problem in the first place, which I don't think they do. They've rebuffed UPF criticisms before and I don't think they believe there's an issue with their output. I do think with Drew leaving that it's exposed some issues with their content structure and hopefully a second producer can alleviate some of the problems but we'll see I guess.

Aselith

Golf Story will likely be my GOTY or just trash, no ibetween. Even if it's a 6/10 game, having a game like that again that I get some enjoyment out of would be so damn good.

Austin's delight when he looked at it in the last Waypoint podcast is infectious. Dude was GIDDY.

i mean, he fits in well with jeff and brad's thing (the aftershow, for example, has been great). he also has content ideas, and the bigger problem is that west doesn't really have the manpower or (i'm speculating here) interest to really work with him on that stuff.

dan had an established relationship with jason and drew always seemed down to develop ideas with him. i don't think things like mario party party or MGS would have happened without jason and drew being there to support dan's ideas.

I feel all this. I really like Ben even though I haven't watched a lot of West stuff in a long while; I have started listening to the aftershow though and enjoy it.

I do think having another person doing video will help them a lot and hopefully they're more energetic and/or have some unique tastes. When someone like that's around they can pull everyone else with them and that'll change the mood a bit.

yep totally, i think in hindsight the current situation out west has really made me appreciate dan and drew's contribution to giant bomb. (i still really like west!)

Telfo

the last 20 or so minutes of this Six Crazy Frights episode is great. I was dying laughing at
Abby yelling "JARETH!" over and over

Mr. F

Banned
thoughts:

I come back to this thought now and again but I would love to know what Jeff's content plans that he's alluded to in vague terms for the past....4-5 years were. If Dan/Jason hadn't come onboard there would be nothing to push them to do much new stuff, and it's started to feel that way again since Dan went East. Honestly if not for East's efforts there's no chance I'd have re-subbed

tesqui

man.. seeing that PT ending reveal into Silent Hills is so sad. It'd be great if Death Stranding is secretly related to it in some way.

I come back to this thought now and again but I would love to know what Jeff's content plans that he's alluded to in vague terms for the past....4-5 years were. If Dan/Jason hadn't come onboard there would be nothing to push them to do much new stuff, and it's started to feel that way again since Dan went East. Honestly if not for East's efforts there's no chance I'd have re-subbed

i think jeff's endgame has always been hiring enough people to allow him and some other people to go off and make longer-form video content without the site completely shutting down. i remember him talking about that on jar times since like the whiskey days.

i feel like drew leaving (and giant bomb kinda never really growing that much in staff size overall) probably threw that off.

i think jeff's endgame has always been hiring enough people to allow him and some other people to go off and make longer-form video content without the site completely shutting down. i remember him talking about that on jar times since like the whiskey days.

i feel like drew leaving (and giant bomb kinda never really growing that much in staff size overall) probably threw that off.

Eh. It's hard to say since we obviously don't know and never will, but Drew leaving is recent, and the job searches that Jeff's conducted have been long and resulted with them just bringing in people they already knew. A lot of the complaints being levied have been around for years and the solution on West's end has usually just been "let's just put out a livestream of something" while the causes of the problems change. We have no idea what the problems really are or the issues behind the scenes that slow things down or whatever, but some of the complaints are old.

There Are Two New Giant Bomb Shirts Available Now!

2966368-500.png

2966369-deer.png

patapuf

Eh. It's hard to say since we obviously don't know and never will, but Drew leaving is recent, and the job searches that Jeff's conducted have been long and resulted with them just bringing in people they already knew. A lot of the complaints being levied have been around for years and the solution on West's end has usually just been "let's just put out a livestream of something" while the causes of the problems change. We have no idea what the problems really are or the issues behind the scenes that slow things down or whatever, but some of the complaints are old.

That's if there's actually a problem at all.

They've never put out more content than now. We've never had more premium shows. From what they hint at, mainstays like the podcast and UPF are still popular and growing.

East and West are not actually different websites.

The "problem" is that we want more and that not every piece of content pleases everyone.

Top Bottom