• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to be playing it “in anticipation for Odyssey”

Play SM64 because it’s a great video game. Play Super Mario World because it’s a great video game.

I’m pretty sure both will be worth coming back to even after Odyssey.

going all in on a game like Super Mario 64 for the first time so close to Odyssey seems like it might be over-saturating things a bit

Fair point

Karspankey should wait a few months before diving into Odyssey

What if it dipped my toes in all of the Mario? For real though, I'm probably going to at least give 64 a real good shot and bail if I end up not caring. I'll play Mario World as well since it reminds me of the only Mario games I actually have truly played: Super Mario Land 1 and 2!

SM64 does not hold up and it’s ugly to boot.

c9c.jpg

BTA

My friends birthday is next Friday...

Goodbye Wolfenstein Odyssey 2.

I’d be “sacrificing” weekend time with it to see friends for the first time in months to play scary games and such for Halloween, but one of those friends is in a play the week after so due to his rehearsals we’ll probably save that for the weekend after the play

it means I have Mario time but at what cost

Harpuia

I mean if you wanna play sm64 sure, but I feel like enough years have passed that someone whose played any modern platformer since will feel like something is missing. Mechanically it's fine. But everything since has improved upon what it set out so just play galaxy or galaxy 2.

I bet it's better if you played it on anything but a N64 controller. Because Nintendo didn't know rubber existed.

tesqui

I'd say SM64 is still a very unique experience. No platformer since (Except Sunshine) has used the same playground design. The Galaxy games are a more linear experience.

Also the N64 controller is pretty gross, but the games controls are probably the most responsive of any 3D mario. Just looking at any speedrun video really captures the amount of crazy acrobatics that can be pulled off

I don’t think it’s unique. Most 3D platformers well into the PS2 generation were of its type.

Now, Jumping Flash was a 3D platformer that was unique. What a game, what a game.

Harpuia

Lukewarm take: I think Banjo Kazooie and Tooie were better. I feel like I played those far more than I ever played 64.

I will concede that theyre different types of games. SM64 was a bit faster paced due to the movement tricks you could pull. Games of that era were overall a little sluggish.

Fireblend

Banned
Funny that you guys are discussing SM64. I beat it for the first time last weekend, all 120 stars. Barring some frustration from the harder ones (specially the 100 coin ones), the game is outstanding, and it absolutely holds up. Very much worth playing.

The controls are a thing of beauty. I've played other 3D platformers lately like the new Ratchet and Clank and A Hat in Time, and SM64 easily beats them. It's crazy how Nintendo nailed so much about movement in 3D environments on their first attempt.

Stoze

I mean if you wanna play sm64 sure, but I feel like enough years have passed that someone whose played any modern platformer since will feel like something is missing. Mechanically it's fine. But everything since has improved upon what it set out so just play galaxy or galaxy 2.

I bet it's better if you played it on anything but a N64 controller. Because Nintendo didn't know rubber existed.
"Mechanically it's fine" is underselling how hard 64 nailed moving Mario around in a 3D space. Pretty sure I haven't played a modern 3D platformer (which excluding Mario and indie releases this year, isn't much of a thing) that comes close to feeling as satisfying and expressive to control.

And for all Galaxy 2 and 3D World can boast in terms of creativity and great level design - and I love them for that - they actually feel like the ones that are missing something to me.

BTA

"Mechanically it's fine" is underselling how hard 64 nailed moving Mario around in a 3D space. Pretty sure I haven't played a modern 3D platformer (which excluding Mario and indie releases this year, isn't much of a thing) that comes close to feeling as satisfying and expressive to control.

And for all Galaxy 2 and 3D World can boast in terms of creativity and great level design - and I love them for that - they actually feel like the ones that are missing something to me.

I mean, I haven't really played many 3D platformers of the era to compare (actually- I think I rented Banjo Kazooie and several other N64 platformers but I don't remember them well enough to say anything about them) but this really is the more significant bit, right? Like... it was a N64 launch game, and yet they got everything down well right off the bat.

Harpuia

I acknowledge that it's important as far as game design milestones go, but I sincerely do believe that much better games have been made since sm64, great as it may be. Waggle aside, which honestly isn't as bad as people say but to each their own, SMG and SMG2 do trump sm64 design wise and I'd go far as to say game design as well.

Luminaire

I am like two weeks behind on beastcast but I was dying in the car at Sonic Ass and Sonic Butt. I suppose, in many aspects, that I am still twelve.

Also uh...did they archive the destiny stuff? Or is there a supercut or somethin? I don't wanna watch 21 hours of wipes. Did enough of that in MMO raiding, but I'd like to see some highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom