• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
every free moment ive had ive pretty much played fractured but hole

its a good game

i asked in the other thread, but is everything up to and including the strip club indicative of how the rest of the game will play out? the combat has been fairly predictable and it's been kind of... not creative.

Joeku

i asked in the other thread, but is everything up to and including the strip club indicative of how the rest of the game will play out? the combat has been fairly predictable and it's been kind of... not creative.

I just got to that same point but the QL had far more interesting combat than what I have seen. The whole game has been overly-tutorialized so far. It's very slowly introducing things.

Jintor

Now that shadow of war has released its dark hold on me, I can get around to polishing a few games off and then decide which to get first, nazikillfest 2 or hattrick

Joeku

Now that shadow of war has released its dark hold on me, I can get around to polishing a few games off and then decide which to get first, nazikillfest 2 or hattrick

Yeah fuck act 4. I got a few things into it and then looked it up and went "oooooh fuck no."

Immediately Youtube'd that shit.

Jintor

Yeah fuck act 4. I got a few things into it and then looked it up and went "oooooh fuck no."

Immediately Youtube'd that shit.

Funny thing is I would have played a lot of it if the entire game had been like that, but I'm just burnt out on the game as a whole and act 4 is kinda a bit depressingly less lively than the rest of the game before it

Joeku

Funny thing is I would have played a lot of it if the entire game had been like that, but I'm just burnt out on the game as a whole and act 4 is kinda a bit depressingly less lively than the rest of the game before it

If the game had ended halfway through the end of Act III, I would have on-board as fuck for a third game.

Now....ehhhhhh.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Instead of playing fractured buttholes and wardor you guys could have been playing chaos;child.

I haven't started chaos;child yet.

hamchan

I’ve reached the point in life where what’s limiting my ability to play games is time and not money and y’know what? This is way more depressing.

I feel like I've played more game employed than unemployed.
That's definitely the case for me, but I chalk that up to having less free time making me focus on putting the time I do have to good use and making the most of it. Though being out of a depressed slug state also helped with that in having me do more than sleep through entire days.

Antiwhippy

For me it is definitely more about my anxiety about being unemployed leading to me not want to feel like I've "wasted my time"playing videogames.

If the game had ended halfway through the end of Act III, I would have on-board as fuck for a third game.

Now....ehhhhhh.

That’s my experience with the first game. Got to the second area and just lost steam. It’s a really solid game, but I upgraded most my abilities and i hear the game doesnt change too much after that. Plus I just do not give two shits about LotR lore to see the story through.

Joeku

That’s my experience with the first game. Got to the second area and just lost steam. It’s a really solid game, but I upgraded most my abilities and i hear the game doesnt change too much after that. Plus I just do not give two shits about LotR lore to see the story through.

Giving a shit about the lore is a good reason to not start playing it at all.

Antiwhippy

But what about the funny orcs.

For serious though the amount of production that needs to go into even just the voice acting is mind boggling

Does a FIA endorsement matter that much?

Do prior actually care about playing by FIA rules?

This is coming from someone who does not care about Motorsports at all, so I'm curious about it.

An old question, but I don't think anyone answered.

In short I'd say yes it matters a lot... To the *specific* crowd that this game is aiming for.

There are a set of people that take video game racing pretty seriously, the most obvious example I know is iRacing. That uses subscription funding to run leagues and tournaments. Drivers have to earn better racing licences over time, awarded manually by the I racing team. They can also get reported by other drivers, and I think penalised based on reviews. Essentially it's like real life racing but mirrored in video game form.

This GT sport seems to be aiming for that, but with official FIA endorsement, and importantly for some people, links back into "real" motorsports. What it doesn't seem to have is the manual review of licences, and reporting of drivers etc... So who knows how well the automated system will do.

Has anyone in the thread had a go at driving a car quickly on track? It's seriously hard ( physically and mentally), and you can soon see why the FIA rules are the way they are.

It's worth noting that every race series actually has its own rules, but some basic ones generally always apply (like not weaving, and not ramming into cars).

These mean that there is a genuine "craft" to overtaking someone, that's often as much a strategy game, as it is about raw speed.

Joeku

But what about the funny orcs.

For serious though the amount of production that needs to go into even just the voice acting is mind boggling

Yeah, seriously. The amount of dialogue I'll never hear in Shadow of War is crazy. That poet orc got one line in before another orc murdered his ass and I'll miss everything else about him in my game.

Yeah, seriously. The amount of dialogue I'll never hear in Shadow of War is crazy. That poet orc got one line in before another orc murdered his ass and I'll miss everything else about him in my game.

Yeah, it's pretty damn fantastic how much personality the orcs have.

My favorite will be the singing orc who I burned to death, he came back, sang to me how I failed to kill him, and then immediately blew him up again.(Weak to fire so instadeath)

I wonder if he'll come back.

Antiwhippy

An old question, but I don't think anyone answered.

In short I'd say yes it matters a lot... To the *specific* crowd that this game is aiming for.

There are a set of people that take video game racing pretty seriously, the most obvious example I know is iRacing. That uses subscription funding to run leagues and tournaments. Drivers have to earn better racing licences over time, awarded manually by the I racing team. They can also get reported by other drivers, and I think penalised based on reviews. Essentially it's like real life racing but mirrored in video game form.

This GT sport seems to be aiming for that, but with official FIA endorsement, and importantly for some people, links back into "real" motorsports. What it doesn't seem to have is the manual review of licences, and reporting of drivers etc... So who knows how well the automated system will do.

Has anyone in the thread had a go at driving a car quickly on track? It's seriously hard ( physically and mentally), and you can soon see why the FIA rules are the way they are.

It's worth noting that every race series actually has its own rules, but some basic ones generally always apply (like not weaving, and not ramming into cars).

These mean that there is a genuine "craft" to overtaking someone, that's often as much a strategy game, as it is about raw speed.

Hmmmm alright, I get that it matters to a certain subset, I think a better way to phrase my question is just how big is the group that actually cares compared to GT's general audience.

In the end I guess it's pretty cool that there is a game endorsed by the governing body for enthusiasts.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seven days till Mario
I'm happy. It's perfect timing.
I have a whole week in Norway where I get to do absolutely nothing other than drive around beautiful nature and play Mario Odyssey at night.

Turned on Steam to play some XCOM again. There is an 8GB patch.
So I guess I play XCOM on Sunday or something.

I can see how you would think it's a weak year if you've only played wardor.

Not this year, i was talking about Shadow of Mordor in 2014. In terms of big fall blockbuster releases, the only other game I played was Alien Isolation which I also thought was fine, but a little limp, and I actually do like Alien lore. I guess my problem with both those games is how much they rely on the player deriving enjoyment from references to the films instead of crafting their own compelling characters and stories within those worlds for the games. Talion is a boring bloke with a stale dead family motivation and playing as Ripley’s daughter is pretty fan fictiony.

However I managed to get through Isolation because they dole out new weapons and stuff pretty consistently. Wheras with Mordor I felt i saw everything the game had to offer me gameplay wise. I can enjoy a game set in a universe I don’t care about. Just don’t use the source material as a crutch for a lackluster story. Use it as a jumping off point to make a good story and characters. Or keep the gameplay loop fresh to compensate for it.

Jintor

the game will just roll you another one in a few hours

On one hand I like the concept of shadow wars because, hey, a goal to work towards with this big-ass grinding if i felt like just fucking around: the video game

on the other hand that goal is on youtube already and i watched it this morning because i spent the entire story mode 'just fucking around' and have no desire to play 'just fucking around: the video game'

derFeef

Seven days till Mario
I'm happy. It's perfect timing.
I have a whole week in Norway where I get to do absolutely nothing other than drive around beautiful nature and play Mario Odyssey at night.

Turned on Steam to play some XCOM again. There is an 8GB patch.
So I guess I play XCOM on Sunday or something.

Fuuuck I am jealous.

Antiwhippy

Not this year, i was talking about Shadow of Mordor in 2014. In terms of big fall blockbuster releases, the only other game I played was Alien Isolation which I also thought was fine, but a little limp, and I actually do like Alien lore. I guess my problem with both those games is how much they rely on the player deriving enjoyment from references to the films instead of crafting their own compelling characters and stories within those worlds for the games. Talion is a boring bloke with a stale dead family motivation and playing as Ripley’s daughter is pretty fan fictiony.

However I managed to get through Isolation because they dole out new weapons and stuff pretty consistently. Wheras with Mordor I felt i saw everything the game had to offer me gameplay wise.

Ah alright, I thought you were talking about wardor. My bad.

I don't actually remember 2014 being a bad year but I was a pretty vita heavy year for me.

Hmmmm alright, I get that it matters to a certain subset, I think a better way to phrase my question is just how big is the group that actually cares compared to GT's general audience.

In the end I guess it's pretty cool that there is a game endorsed by the governing body for enthusiasts.

Oh I don't have any stats... Pulling numbers out of my ass, I'd guess tens of thousands of enthusiasts versus multi millions for a general "triple-a racing game". Whatever the actual numbers are it's going to be orders of magnitude smaller.

EDIT. I racing said they had 50k subscribers in 2013, which is 5 years after the game launched. I doubt the population would grow significantly from there, but maybe word of mouth would spread it a bit further.

Steam spy says there are only 25k owners so I assume a lot of people download the game direct...so steam numbers aren't that useful.

Given I racing is not a name like GT, and it's a subscription model, I could see the interest being higher.. Maybe even double or triple.

IMHO GTs problem (for the niche crowd) is that it's not niche enough. The automated sportsmanship rating may piss off a lot of "true" race sim fans that are used to iracing.
It may also struggle for funding longer term, as it will need regular DLC's to pay for running the tournaments etc.

I hope it works out, as it's a nifty idea, but quite possibly millions of people will be disappointed /confused by what they've bought. (as someone said it's the cod/battlefield crowd that get 3 games per year, and will just see the GT name.)

2970384-grumpycat.jpg

The Giant Beastcast - Episode 126
Dad is away and the kids are here to play! Join the crew, sans Vinny, as they explore speedrunning, wireless headphones, and the proper way to make a PB&J sandwich. Also, there's a lot of jockstrap talk on this one so get those cups ready.

BTA

ok I immediately love
Jeff taking over

Instead of playing fractured buttholes and wardor you guys could have been playing chaos;child.

I haven't started chaos;child yet.

Not out (physically because I guess it dropped on PSN a week early) in the US yet though. Gonna wait on playing it for a bit anyway.

Instead I’ve been playing The Letter, which... I’ve been really surprised by? A close friend spoke really highly of it, but I’m still pleasantly surprised. I expected mostly horror, and there’s some of that, but it’s been mainly been really deep and entertaining character interactions so far. It’s very well written and there’s a warmth to the writing that I really did not expect from a horror VN.

It also seems like the number of story branches is pretty extensive too (there’s 7 chapters, and each of them has you playing as a different character that interacts with all the other characters during an overlapping time period that factors in your choices during the previous chapters, which is kinda rad!), though I wonder what that means for endings. It seems like it might be sort of an epilogue-ish result of your choices thing (there’s a page in the gallery that I can’t access yet for epilogues at least) rather than a specific route/ending, which may or may not be satisfying.

I’m just looking forwarding to seeing the rest; I just meant to start it this week and instead I’ll probably finish my first playthrough due to basically playing only it. Which is partially due to me being kinda out of it this past week or so, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom