• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the Obvious Twist for Firewatch is SO obvious that it can't possibly happen, or at least be delivered in a way that isn't fairly predictable.

Xater

I'm still looking forward to Firewatch. I didn't think the voice acting was bad at all and I'm always up for a mystery.

I ended up taking a break from the Witness because while I had fun for the most part, I wasn't really interested in the island at all and didn't really enjoy the puzzles enough to keep up the momentum. I guess I'm one of the crazies who still prefers Myst.

I'm with you. This island is totally uninteresting. I also definitely prefer figuring out weird machinery over doing line puzzles over and over again.

Hell I prefer all 3 the Room games to the Witness.

ArjanN

C'mon guys, I want Firewatch to be good! Stop assessing it in a way that doesn't conform to my desires!

Well don't worry, because the people who think the voice acting is bad are clearly crazy.

I think The Witness will really hurt this game. Witness is this very approachable and engaging thing with beautiful graphics and cool puzzles. Firewatch is just as beautiful but a very passive experience. And if you don't dig the writing/humour... So shortly after Witness people will think this is "too thin".

I think Firewatch seems actually way more approachable, just because there's much more of a story focus.

Either way it's apples and oranges.

I feel like the Obvious Twist for Firewatch is SO obvious that it can't possibly happen, or at least be delivered in a way that is not predictable.

Oh, you mean that it's clearly alien ghosts dreaming that the main character was the demons all along in a snow globe in limbo that sent in the zombie bears?

Because I think there's way too many different directions they could go with this setup for there to be an obvious twist. A cliched twist maybe.

oti

Banned
I'm still looking forward to Firewatch. I didn't think the voice acting was bad at all and I'm always up for a mystery.

I ended up taking a break from the Witness because while I had fun for the most part, I wasn't really interested in the island at all and didn't really enjoy the puzzles enough to keep up the momentum. I guess I'm one of the crazies who still prefers Myst.

you must be German

oti

Banned
I'm definitely buying Firewatch. It brought us the hilarious PAX panel segment, it deserves our money.

I put Firewatch in my wishlist, I'll think about it before release. It's in there with Oxenfree, DMC4SE, Dark Souls, and Subnautica right now.

Speaking of steam, thanks to the sale today I discovered that I actually own the Tomb Raider reboot. Apparently I bought it in 2014? Somehow I missed it every time I went down the list of games. Kinda scary when something like that happens.

TraBuch

Banned
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was boring the shit out of me so I decided to just read up on how the rest of the story plays out and I couldn't be happier that I quit. I will be very disappointed if Firewatch goes with the predictable twist ending. Why can't it just be a game about a guy starting a new job and walking around in a beautiful forest while trying to ruin the fun of teenagers that just want to get naked and shoot off fireworks?

XCOM seems to be running okay for me. 1920x1200 at medium-ish settings.

Running up to a mind control alien and slashing with a sword to relinquish mind control of your guy *and* kill the psi zombie is pretty awesome.

Xater

Running up to a mind control alien and slashing with a sword to relinquish mind control of your guy *and* kill the psi zombie is pretty awesome.

I wish I could run it. I genuinely hate that there is no console port. I bought the last game 3 times. PS3, iOS and then PC once I had a new Mac.

I finished the Witness today and could not be more underwhelmed. I almost didn't finish it because I didn't enjoy it much, but kept going because of some of the talk on GB. I have no idea how anyone can come away impressed with how this game closes out.

I really enjoyed it for like 4 of the areas but I've quickly lost interest and it feels like I'm pushing myself through the remaining areas.

haha yeah the sword stuff in this one is super satisfying in a way the melee attacks in the last one never were. I've got the ability on my one sword lady that keeps her hidden even after detection and I just maneuver her around behind the action and sword someone to death when they aren't looking

also those titty snakes don't fuck around

StoveOven

Banned
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was boring the shit out of me so I decided to just read up on how the rest of the story plays out and I couldn't be happier that I quit. I will be very disappointed if Firewatch goes with the predictable twist ending. Why can't it just be a game about a guy starting a new job and walking around in a beautiful forest while trying to ruin the fun of teenagers that just want to get naked and shoot off fireworks?

This is what I hope to get from Firewatch as well. I'll enjoy it if their is some type of twist, but I would love it if they just played it straight. Sadly, I don't think we'll get that though

LegoArmo

I liked what I saw of Firewatch, if anything, the video made me more likely to buy it. I dig the sense of humour and I like a good mystery.

Meneses

I wish I could run it. I genuinely hate that there is no console port. I bought the last game 3 times. PS3, iOS and then PC once I had a new Mac.

Same here.

And I actually bought it 4 times because I got Enemy Unknown and later on Enemy Within on PS3.

jaina

Firewatch looks nice and I enjoyed the writing in the QLEX. But I'm somehow still not interested in playing it. Maybe someday.

Witness is nice as long as I have single clue about one of my yet unsolved puzzles. I'll continue with it over the next weeks/months. (3 cleared areas so far, some partly, some clueless)

I have some very cool speculation about people possibly being in SF and weddings. I'm bursting but doesn't feel right to guess around publicly :/

I finished SMB 3 on 3DS VirtualConsole last weekend, using save states. I appreciate the fresh level ideas and was surprised by the creativity. But I never got used to the movement, it sometimes felt so bad as if the VC emulation makes it really sluggish. That's probably different if you learn it as a kid and haven't fallen in love with SMW controls yet.

Kimaka

Firewatch looks good. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a romantic story where you're supposed to fall in love with a faceless lady.

TraBuch

Banned
Firewatch looks good. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a romantic story where you're supposed to fall in love with a faceless lady.
I feel like I'd rather have that than where it's probably heading. Turn it into "Her", the game, only Scarlett Johansson is a real person and she leaves and you get with Amy Adams instead.

Houndi101

Does anyone else have the problem with the premium beastcast feed on iOS podcast app that the art is the generic Giant Bomb one and not the one for Beastcast?

neshcom

Banned
Just so we're clear, the predictable ending is
falling in love with Delilah
, right?

Okay I can read. Whatever, I'm bullish on narrative games.

Mr. F

Banned
I want to play Firewatch to look at it, but nothing about the bits they've shown have me interested beyond that.

The dialogue comes through as trying a bit too hard to evoke an approximation of 'natural' conversation. The performances come across as overly smarmy/sarcastic (yet unfunny) people who would drive me crazy to interact with in real life.

They're going for vastly different things though, The Witness is mostly about solving puzzle after puzzle whereas Firewatch is all about telling a story. Other then the visual style, the fact they are indie games, and that they have released near each other, there isn't actually that much in common.

Firewatch is also fuck tons more cheaper. You know exactly what you're getting so it's a fools errand to hope it's more than what it is, an interactive story experience. I'm there day 1.

I want to play Firewatch to look at it, but nothing about the bits they've shown have me interested beyond that.

The dialogue comes through as trying a bit too hard to evoke an approximation of 'natural' conversation. The performances come across as overly smarmy/sarcastic (yet unfunny) people who would drive me crazy to interact with in real life.

I agree with the overly sarcastic writing with what I've seen so far, but hopefully it'll lighten up as the game progresses. I just bought it after watching the QL, so I'm not horribly dissapointed. I usually can look past small stuff like that. The guy was playing a bit fast though (since he's the dev and I'm sure has demoed that part thousands of times by now) so that might have had something to do with how the dialog flowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom