• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is a map I ever had more affinity for in any other COD game I played. There was just something so good about that map.

the funniest thing about Overgrown was that there were portions of the map that were basically never used. such weird design, but it still shook out to be so much fun. actually a lot of the maps had some weird layouts. Countdown was really strange.

Overgrown and Crash are arguable top 3 of the whole series
I wouldn't disagree with that, honestly I'd say those two plus Strike are the best 3 in the whole series.
I don't think there is a map I ever had more affinity for in any other COD game I played. There was just something so good about that map.
I feel that way about most of the COD4 maps, even the worst ones are still better than the maps in other COD games.

Jothel

Sorry if this was already mentioned but didn't the most recent guest contributor and Alex have a kinda argumenty thing on Twitter a while ago?

I feel that way about most of the COD4 maps, even the worst ones are still better than the maps in other COD games.

so having played a pretty good amount of BOIII and AW, it finally occurred to me what bugs me about maps in the newer games. because of how OP the kill streaks are, they had to make it so that it's hard to stay in one place for too long. all the games are about running 100% of the time now

but you look at a map like Crossfire where you had to contend with that entire sniper alley and you never see anything like that now. half of the time spent on that map was risk/reward of "if I dash now, I can get to the other side of the road and get behind the other team." I'm not saying that map was always fun to play on, but it added variety to the flow. remember when smoke grenades were useful?

Agreed,the emphasis on killstreaks and also the new mobility has definitely impacted map design fairly negatively.

I honestly think the last COD game to have good maps was probably BLOPS 1 and even then the only really good map in that was Summit.

I also refuse to believe smoke grenades were ever useful.

so having played a pretty good amount of BOIII and AW, it finally occurred to me what bugs me about maps in the newer games. because of how OP the kill streaks are, they had to make it so that it's hard to stay in one place for too long. all the games are about running 100% of the time now

but you look at a map like Crossfire where you had to contend with that entire sniper alley and you never see anything like that now. half of the time spent on that map was risk/reward of "if I dash now, I can get to the other side of the road and get behind the other team." I'm not saying that map was always fun to play on, but it added variety to the flow. remember when smoke grenades were useful?

AW also has the issue where you could tell that the MP started its life as a standard COD and then the suit stuff got bolted on to it mid development. Most of the maps do a bad job of actually leveraging your abilities and seemed designed before they were firmly established. Detroit is the most glaringly obvious of the maps that was clearly made pre-suit stuff. You could put that map in any COD game pre-AW and it would fit right in.

At least BLOPS3's maps were made with the powers and such in mind.

also, as a quick aside, anyone who misses the simplicity of the COD games should really get halo 5. Its Arena stuff is so fucking good, that game is getting overlooked really hard. It's my MP game of the generation so far and it's not even close

also, as a quick aside, anyone who misses the simplicity of the COD games should really get halo 5. Its Arena stuff is so fucking good, that game is getting overlooked really hard. It's my MP game of the generation so far and it's not even close

I am not that big of a fan of Warzone but it is my most played mode in H5.

justjim89

I was a Wii only guy most of that gen, and I probably put 200 hours into Modern Warfare Reflex Edition.

I still say Wii remote is a better control method for shooters than dual analogue sticks. I can't stand playing first person games with a controller.

i've been binging hard on Prince since his passing. I wish Prince had a game or something like Moonwalker. I guess the closest thing would be the Batman sunsoft game but that doesn't really count.

I am not that big of a fan of Warzone but it is my most played mode in H5.

Warzone matches take too long for my tastes. I do play Warzone Assault occasionally since it's much quicker though that's main to get the daily win pack

pizzacat

Banned
It's another game especially 5 where if you're playing against savages you either git gud or nothing. I just wish some of the armor designs were better and more of an emphasis on area control and not weapon control

Volotaire

I was a Wii only guy most of that gen, and I probably put 200 hours into Modern Warfare Reflex Edition.

I still say Wii remote is a better control method for shooters than dual analogue sticks. I can't stand playing first person games with a controller.

I partially agree with this. There are aspects in which pointer controllers are superior to dual analogue, in my opinion, in terms of shooting accuracy and reaction speed, but there are weaknesses such as turning at the extremes of the screen and a bit more 'jitteriness' when you are generally aiming - i.e. you can never perfectly stabilise a pointer in your hand in the air relative to a stick on a controller or a mouse on a solid surface. The last two points can be mitigated by the types of systems devlopers implement in their games and the latter weakness is not a big concern.

I had a very hard time adjusting from KB&M to dual analogue sticks (and still do). This adjustment probably gives me a more positive attitude, relative to other people, towards pointer controls for FPS because the control setup was a bit closer to KB&M.

I enjoy how Nintendo implements gyroscope aiming in Splatoon and LoZ WW HD.

I hope Austin imports Gundam Breaker 3 and gets Vinny into it.

The dark horse is if Alex really gets into making his own Gundams in the game and gets into Gunpla.

pizzacat

Banned
You guys just want to see Duders fall into giant black holes

Also, rewatching EL 2015 and I have a feeling Jeff knows more about Pokemon than he lets on

Strax

Fallout 4 was the first time I saw the backlash for a bethesda game finally go from a vocal minority to being more general.

It was glorious. Their writing has been terrible for over a generation and it was great to see that people are coming around to realizing it for what it is and no longer allowing them to skate on it. All you had to do is play New Vegas to see what a decently written open world Bethesda game should be.

but even NV got some things wrong i guess

You say that but Fallout 4 reviewed higher then NV on all platforms

tumblr_nsg3h0se5q1tx4uo1o3_250.gif

killroy87

Have any of the guest columnists done more than one article? I feel like they've introduced like 20 different people, but none (to my knowledge) seem to be contributing on a recurring basis.

Have any of the guest columnists done more than one article? I feel like they've introduced like 20 different people, but none (to my knowledge) seem to be contributing on a recurring basis.

Heather Alexandra has done two pieces (and the corresponding GB Presents episode she was on about The Division was great, too).

pizzacat

Banned
If we are talking about technical issues should fallout 4 be nowhere near the score it has now?

Why was it a big problem with new Vegas but 4 was like an afterthought that later became a nuisance

Megasoum

Banned
Hey that's cool, Alex, Drew, Brad and Danny are now verified on Twitter.

Not Vinny tho...

Also Will Smith is not and probably never will lol.

If we are talking about technical issues should fallout 4 be nowhere near the score it has now?

Why was it a big problem with new Vegas but 4 was like an afterthought that later became a nuisance

well, besides the bugs being pretty rough at launch, a lot of folks dinged it for being more fallout 3, too, which sucks because it's so much better than FO3 dammit.

why FO4 got a pass i don't know but at least jeff did the right thing and dropped a star on the console versions. that's a step in the right direction.

pizzacat

Banned
Haha people seem to go on about 3 when I think its the least interesting of the 3 tbh, well the 3 fallouts I've played

it doesn't have the rpg ness of NV and the refinement of NV, or the weapon building of either 4 or nv, no camp settlement, nothing

It had a pretty good dlc in the one with the hillbillies but the other NV ones destroy that and the other ones.

I can't go back to 3 unless I'm playing on the tale of two wastelands mod and even then I'm mostly on Mojave because of how much harder it is due to the tweaks that were made, I recommend this mod to anyone who has both GOTY editions of 3 and NV, sooo good.

I've always wanted to try 2 and I'm pretty sure its on my steam library but haven't gotten to it.

Strax

but that's partly due to technical issues that existed at launch that aren't present anymore so naw.

I ask that you play the PS3 version of NV before spreading lies.

While NV is a better written game then Fallout 4 I feel like FO4 improves on almost everything else.
Better gameplay, more interesting location, characters and story. Better VO.

Fallout NV is Bioshock 1 while Fallout 4 is Bioshock Infinite

I'd say the backlash is in part informed by the fact that people don't think it deserves it, especially when compared to NV.

The only backlash is in the NeoGaf bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom