• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really curious what the hell Elder Scrolls VI is gonna be considering the only parts of Fallout 4 that really clicked with me were the shooting and the gun mods.

pizzacat

Banned
the scary thing is i'm close to thinking that about all video games sometimes, but then i stick my fingers in my ears and scream until the feeling passes

not actually serious so don't quote me neogaf shitposting twitter account
You got a link to that, I want to see if I was finally chosen

yami4ct

I'm really curious what the hell Elder Scrolls VI is gonna be considering the only parts of Fallout 4 that really clicked with me were the shooting and the gun mods.

It seems pretty easy to me to guess how they'll go with ESVI.

Even more simplified RPG systems. Would not be shocked to see stats simplified to purely equipment or crap like that.

Same garbage engine since most of that community is still in 'lol. Glitches are funny' mode. Bethesda has zero incentive to improve.

Directed story like FO4, but the writing will somehow be even worse since the Elder Scrolls world lacks the charm inherent to Fallout.

Another building mode. The kids love their building modes, even if they do jack shit in the actual game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rutskarn, over on Shamus Young's blog, had a comment I really like in his Elder Scrolls retrospective (emphasis mine)
Why do I think Bethesda’s open-world model is beginning to settle?

It all comes back to one consideration I hadn’t even reckoned on bringing up when I began this series. It’s an inaccurate buzzword trio coined in spite that accidentally almost came true seven years later, and discussing it is going to mean identifying what the underlying spirit–if any–of these games really is.

“Oblivion With Guns.”

I’ll summarize what will for most readers be a tiresomely familiar history: between Oblivion and Skyrim, Bethesda creates a successor to a very old in-depth roleplaying game and adapts what used to be top-down, 2D, character-is-the-size-of-a-penny, very numbers-focused and slow-paced gameplay into a fast-paced first-person game rendered in full 3D. Even this change was enough to frustrate many fans of the originals, and long before anything concrete was known about the game’s writing or tone people were claiming the upcoming Fallout 3 was going to be “Oblivion with Guns.”

They were mistaken.

Whatever Fallout 3 is or is not, it bears only very superficial resemblance to Oblivion. Fallout 3 has a variety of dialogue options to suit diverse and specific characterizations. Oblivion has only enough dialogue options to cover functions of exposition and choosing roughly branching paths (“I am going to not accept your quest” or “I am going to accept your quest”). Fallout 3‘s combat is decidedly quick and brutal as compared to Oblivion‘s slow-paced tediously-managed slog. Fallout 3 has a story that starts and finishes (or at least, it was initially supposed to) whereas Oblivion is not constrained to its main narrative, but expanded to a full exploration of all its locations and interests. Small considerations of stats have a drastic effect on how your character in Oblivion moves and interacts with the world and don’t affect Fallout 3‘s motion at all. Fallout 3 is constructed primarily around seamlessly exploring environments laden with visual storytelling while Oblivion condenses all of its points of interests in a narrow range of locations broken up by nothing much. However one feels about Bethesda‘s approach, there’s not much comparison between Fallout 3 and any given TES game.

Then Skyrim came out. It was a smash-hit megasuccess. A few years later, they released Fallout 4.

Fallout 4 is Skyrim with guns.

justjim89

I'm way more into Elder Scrolls than Fallout, and i'm legit nervous about how badly Bethesda could fuck it up or over-streamline it.

Can't play Morrowind forever.

yami4ct

Rutskarn, over on Shamus Young's blog, had a comment I really like in his Elder Scrolls retrospective (emphasis mine)

I'm way more into Elder Scrolls than Fallout, and i'm legit nervous about how badly Bethesda could fuck it up or over-streamline it.

Skyrim is already over streamlined. I'm afraid it's too late for TES.

I think Skyrim being such a breakout success was the worst possible thing to happen to Bethesda. Once you get that kind of success, you aren't going to stop chasing it. When your worst game becomes a huge success, you're going to keep going that direction. When you need every one of your games to be a hyper mega hit, you are going to keep streamlining to appeal to a large audience.

Sad, but true.

As much time as I sunk into Skyrim, I'm incredibly uneasy that TESVI will be more of that. It was incredibly streamlined and it sold like a fucking mammoth. I doubt they're going to look at it and go, "Well, let's try something wildly different this time around."

Alternatively, TESVI could just be a TSO expansion.

justjim89

Skyrim is already over streamlined. I'm afraid it's too late for TES.

I think Skyrim being such a breakout success was the worst possible thing to happen to Bethesda. Once you get that kind of success, you aren't going to stop chasing it. When your worst game becomes a huge success, you're going to keep going that direction. When you need every one of your games to be a hyper mega hit, you are going to keep streamlining to appeal to a large audience.

I actually enjoyed Skyrim. It wasn't terribly deep, and the quest design resorting to sending you into a dungeon filled with draugr every single time was lame as fuck, but I enjoyed the world and the mechanics were enough to try out a bunch of different builds.

As a guy that likes rogue characters, the stealth was better in Skyrim than Morrowind or Oblivion.

But yeah, it's definitely all downhill from here in terms of game depth. As you said, a voiced protagonist with a defined personality wouldn't surprise me. At the very least i hope they use an interesting location like Black Marsh or Valenwood.

yami4ct

I actually enjoyed Skyrim. It wasn't terribly deep, and the quest design resorting to sending you into a dungeon filled with draugr every single time was lame as fuck, but I enjoyed the world and the mechanics were enough to try out a bunch of different builds.

As a guy that likes rogue characters, the stealth was better in Skyrim than Morrowind or Oblivion.

But yeah, it's definitely all downhill from here in terms of game depth. As you said, a voiced protagonist with a defined personality wouldn't surprise me. At the very least i hope they use an interesting location like Black Marsh or Valenwood.

I thought Skyrim was a boring, vapid souless fucking mess of a game who's only advantage was it was pretty. Could not stand that game at all. I wish Steam refunds were around back then so I didn't waste $60 on that crap. I wasn't surprised to hear FO4 was even worse. At this point, Bethesda is dead to me until they can prove they can make a real RPG again. At least I have CD Projekt Red to fill the hole in my heart Bethesda left.

Not saying people shouldn't be into that game if that's they're thing. Just saying for me personally, it's one of the least favorite games I've ever had the displeasure of putting time into.

I'm honestly pretty forgiving of games as well. I can think of just a small handful of games I actively hated. Skyrim, Prototype and Dishonored are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Tubobutts

I want to see Summerset or Elsweyr but I'm worried they would make them less weird. And if they want to make you a predefined characters they should just make another Elder Scrolls: Adventures.

jaina

I'm curious what the WoW thing is on their schedule, have they mentioned what it's about?
Rorie's recent plan for a Community Endurance Run stream was to tank several raids (which he never tanked before). This didn't happen because he was sick.

But the title and timing make this more likely:
Just from the title, safe bet is they're checking out that unofficial vanilla server before it gets shut down.

Jintor

I thought that he replaced the name of the game with a generic title because he didn't want to inadvertently give it publicity or something.

Googled it, and no, it's really called "Shooting Girl".

it sounds really cool in japanese, i assure you.

---

I don't know why but I fall for the bethesda trap every fucking time.

i give you permission to deck me if I look like I might buy elder scrolls vi on launch or anything close to launch

pizzacat

Banned
it sounds really cool in japanese, i assure you.

---

I don't know why but I fall for the bethesda trap every fucking time.

i give you permission to deck me if I look like I might buy elder scrolls vi on launch or anything close to launch
Anyone who likes fantasy stuff like that should get decked at least once

I thought Skyrim was a boring, vapid souless fucking mess of a game who's only advantage was it was pretty. Could not stand that game at all. I wish Steam refunds were around back then so I didn't waste $60 on that crap. I wasn't surprised to hear FO4 was even worse. At this point, Bethesda is dead to me until they can prove they can make a real RPG again. At least I have CD Projekt Red to fill the hole in my heart Bethesda left.

Not saying people shouldn't be into that game if that's they're thing. Just saying for me personally, it's one of the least favorite games I've ever had the displeasure of putting time into.

I'm honestly pretty forgiving of games as well. I can think of just a small handful of games I actively hated. Skyrim, Prototype and Dishonored are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

It's good to keep in mind that Skyrim can at least be modded to fix problems like Pacific-Sized Kiddie Pool Syndrome, just like mods got the jank out of Morrowind and others of its era. There's at least that.

yami4ct

It's good to keep in mind that Skyrim can at least be modded to fix problems like Pacific-Sized Kiddie Pool Syndrome, just like mods got the jank out of Morrowind and others of its era. There's at least that.

No amount of mods are going to make the writing good or the quests interesting or the combat worth doing. Sure, there are mods that have wrote new quests and campaigns, but the main stuff is what it is. The combat is nigh unfixable.

Houndi101

Giantbomb to start their own vanilla wow server.

giphy.gif

Svafnir

Started listening to this weeks bombcast and they were talking about the recent Patrick vs Dan mario maker challenge at pax... I had to turn off the podcast right away. Do they spoil the outcome?

Also will this video be posted on their website anytime soon? I really wanna watch it but only found a horrible youtube quality record.

Started listening to this weeks bombcast and they were talking about the recent Patrick vs Dan mario maker challenge at pax... I had to turn off the podcast right away. Do they spoil the outcome?

Also will this video be posted on their website anytime soon? I really wanna watch it but only found a horrible youtube quality record.

They do talk about the outcome, and the video will go up on Patrick's YT channel. What's up now is literally from a periscope iirc, and Scoops mentioned that he has people with better assets to work with.

klonere

Banned
One of my roommates sat down to play Fallout 3 for the first (!!!) time. He only does the main quest, roams around looking for bandits to kill (for ammo), hates any non-human enemies (they don't shoot back), blasts through all the dialogue (which meant I had to guide him through quests on memory) and never ever uses VATS (cheating).

This is the market that FO4 was designed for and its clearly a bigger market than people who want muh storylines and muh reactive world and all that. I told him about how NV had iron sights and he nearly bought it there and then but I told him to wait till his PS4 gets delivered and get FO4 cos he'd dig that far more.

Video games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Same, I love Skyrim for the world and the (broken) stealth. I just really like being in that world. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Fallout 4 being that (although it definitely lost many unique Fallout qualities) but the writing and dialogue options in that game are just dogshit, and your dialogue choices barely even matter. You solve every problem by shooting it regardless of how you spec, and that's a pretty big problem. I still like Fallout 4 because the gameplay loop was satisfying and it's actually a pretty decent shooter, but man the writing is atrocious.

Patryn

It seems pretty easy to me to guess how they'll go with ESVI.

Even more simplified RPG systems. Would not be shocked to see stats simplified to purely equipment or crap like that.

Same garbage engine since most of that community is still in 'lol. Glitches are funny' mode. Bethesda has zero incentive to improve.

Directed story like FO4, but the writing will somehow be even worse since the Elder Scrolls world lacks the charm inherent to Fallout.

Another building mode. The kids love their building modes, even if they do jack shit in the actual game.

As I recall, weren't stats in Skyrim already reduced to equipment? I don't recall actually ever touching the base stats of my character.

And then that thinking infected other games like Dragon Age, and I got sad. Especially when you hit the fade in Inquisition and get stat point increases and I'm wondering why I should care since the game does everything it can to hide those base stats in the first place, as compared to the first game where you could have multiple different types of builds and gaining stat points was important in deciding the equipment you can wear.

However, I'm still that terrible person that loved Skyrim, and really like Fallout 4 and loves Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I truly am that person that everybody hates and I'm ok with that.

strafer

if they downgrade the next Elder Scrolls im going to be pissed.

The hugeness and the mass amount of quests were awesome in Skyrim.

Please dont dumb the game down.

Rainmaker

Banned
"I need to put this gun away before something bad happens." - Vinny right before going into Diamond City and shooting his gun in the air while hollering like a mad man.

The best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom