• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhume

I thought this might interest a few people. I'm only on the second page, so I won't comment on it just yet.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/the_sorry_lives_and_confusing_times_of_today_s_young_men/

Hahaha, oh wow.

RESEARCHERS AT CORNELL UNIVERSITY not long ago asked 20,000 young men and women across the United States how they self-identified sexually. Of the men in the sample, 5.6 percent said they were gay or bisexual. Of the women, 14.4 percent did. Leonard Sax offers a possible explanation for why three times as many young women as young men now say they’re gay: The guys they know are losers.
Wowwwww. Yes, women are going gay by choice because men suck. Wait what?

That said, the article did hit a little close to home on one note, my bf is (I'm pretty sure) actually addicted to video games and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to help him. :\

RawPower

Banned
Hahaha, oh wow.

Wowwwww. Yes, women are going gay by choice because men suck. Wait what?

That said, the article did hit a little close to home on one note, my bf is (I'm pretty sure) actually addicted to video games and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to help him. :\

Addicted in what way?

Edit: Never mind. Stupid question.

exhume

Addicted in what way?

Edit: Never mind. Stupid question.

Well, he's been on unemployment for the last year or so, so he usually wakes up around 2 pm, gets on Steam right away and then games until about 4 am. I know he likes his hobby so I suggested he play more console games so I can sit with him and watch or read a book or something but no dice, he prefers being alone. He did just start school again though so we'll see how that goes.

I just graduated from uni and he's started saying stuff like "when you get a job, we can buy an HDTV"...no way pal, I ain't funding you a new TV!

anyway i should stop using this thread to complain about my man problems lolol

Edit: ugh and I just made it to the end of that horrible article, wtf!

Sax, meanwhile, offers a shorthand ­definition of masculinity that seems pretty bulletproof: Real men stand up for the weak and disempowered. Imagine the changes that would wreak in Washington, D.C. But he’s not holding his breath—and he’s ­helping his five-year-old daughter learn to speak Spanish. “I don’t fear for the human spirit,” he says, “but I’m not optimistic for American men.”
Tell me this isn't the most ridiculously sexist statement ever.

RawPower

Banned
Well, he's been on unemployment for the last year or so, so he usually wakes up around 2 pm, gets on Steam right away and then games until about 4 am. I know he likes his hobby so I suggested he play more console games so I can sit with him and watch or read a book or something but no dice, he prefers being alone. He did just start school again though so we'll see how that goes.

I just graduated from uni and he's started saying stuff like "when you get a job, we can buy an HDTV"...no way pal, I ain't funding you a new TV!

Damn. Hope things work out for ya.

Prax

The videogame playing and addiction may just be masking other severe motivation or problems with depression or something possibly? Or maybe it didn't start as that but is turning into a vicious cycle. That's what it sounds like to me. Hope everything works out for you two.

Also on videogames.. RUNE FACTORY HAS A GIRL OPTION??? Hahaha.. Man, I have not been keeping up.
Yeah, I await the 3DS game to allow more options than 4 guys.. but seems off to a good start! I'm happy.
While I am on the subject.. more RPGs with major female leads in general (and not just as a "side or co-lead"), thanks.

And wow, the article sounds more and more bs.. hahaha..

Men = stand up for the weak and disempowered?
This implies that women = weak and disempowered?
Bleh. What a dumb article.

RawPower

Banned
By posting that article, I just wanted to give people something to laugh at. I knew it would be stupid by the time I hit the first paragraph.

By posting that article, I just wanted to give people something to laugh at. I knew it would be stupid by the time I hit the first paragraph.

They usually come off far more insulting than comedic though because the ideas are not ones everyone laughs in unison at. Some people, enough people, actually believe the shit that article is spewing.

Emitan

If anyone in this thread suddenly becomes weak, frail, and helpless, let me know. I have a penis so it is my duty to protect you.

About females in RPGs: I don't know why, but I prefer playing as a female in RPGs (maybe because it's uncommon for female leads? I don't know), but I don't like romancing guys at all, so please put in lesbian options! I guess this is how women feel when all their choices are women.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Hope he has some redeeming qualities for you to be with him, because he sounds like a megaloser from what you're describing ;b

suzu

Just wanted to chime in and agree that P3P is a really fun game! Has a female lead (ok, she's basically the same as the silent male lead haha), turned based rpg, and social/dating elements.

Btw, you can play as a female farmer in two of the Harvest Moon games on the Wii ("Tree of Tranquility" and "Animal Parade"). There isn't any action-rpg elements like the Rune Factory series, but its still got that farming and ranching goodness if you enjoy that. :]

leadbelly

Banned
A complex subject. I haven't actually read the article yet, but the parts devo quoted seemed a bit stupid.

Just to go back to my post in here though.

You added to this post. Again you could be right.

Also delicateness. There is something sexually appealing to that. It's a contrast between masculine and feminine, stong and weak. Easily dominated and overpowered.

First of all, I was talking purely in physical terms when I said this and in a sexual context. The sex act is a form of male dominance. That contrast is perhaps attractive to men.

Anyway, the point being, men are more robust and women more delicate in comparison. If we look at it from a more natural point of view, It was man's job to be protector of his family. He is the stronger of the two physically. Men protecting the family, women nurturing the children. Of course modern society's traditional gender roles are somewhat artificial. Men going to work and women staying at home washing the dishes is kind of artificial in terms of nature, but you can see that the very idea of forming gender roles in itself is probably a natural behaviour. As I said, man taking on the more protective role, woman nurturing the children. Of course we see this in other animals. Lions protect the pride while the lionesses hunt and nurture the cubs.

I will state that I am not saying that women should go back to washing the dishes (lol) that's not what I am getting at. I just wonder if the more natural form of gender role -- man protecting the family -- is less needed now, and perhaps has some affect on male behaviour. The lack of responsibility. In developmental terms there was a need for men to take on that responsibility, it was expected of them. There isn't so much now. Women can provide for themselves.

If anyone in this thread suddenly becomes weak, frail, and helpless, let me know. I have a penis so it is my duty to protect you.

About females in RPGs: I don't know why, but I prefer playing as a female in RPGs (maybe because it's uncommon for female leads? I don't know), but I don't like romancing guys at all, so please put in lesbian options! I guess this is how women feel when all their choices are women.
Fuck yeah! Persona 5 better have an option for a girl MC and some lesbian romance. :3

exhume

Hope he has some redeeming qualities for you to be with him, because he sounds like a megaloser from what you're describing ;b

Haha, yeah, he is a good guy at heart. Which is why I wanna help him get out of this if I can.

He sounds like Oskar Kokashka.

But I have no idea who that is!

Fuck yeah! Persona 5 better have an option for a girl MC and some lesbian romance. :3

Gay and lesbian options should really be more commonplace than they are in gaming. Oh, and the option to play as a female, of course.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Girl-GAF, I finally decided to break down and buy a bra online because I really need a few new ones (I haven't bought a new bra in two years because I hate shopping for them so much.)

Does anyone else find it impossible to find bras that are:

In your size.
Are not push-ups.
Don't look uncomfortable.
Aren't hideous.
And are relatively cheap?

I think this bra does not exist. Any recommendations on where I should look? :/

RawPower

Banned
Haha, yeah, he is a good guy at heart. Which is why I wanna help him get out of this if I can.

But I have no idea who that is!

Gay and lesbian options should really be more commonplace than they are in gaming. Oh, and the option to play as a female, of course.

Hey, Arnold!

Girl-GAF, I finally decided to break down and buy a bra online because I really need a few new ones (I haven't bought a new bra in two years because I hate shopping for them so much.)

In your size.
Are not push-ups.
Aren't hideous.

All of those are excellent reasons to try before you buy, as horrendously frustrating as it is.

Look for a good "T-Shirt" bra; they tend to be lightly padded (so your built-in thermometers don't advertise) and usually are constructed so that while they may look uncomfortable, are actually quite fine.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "relatively cheap", but a good bra that meets your first four categories probably won't meet the fifth. A good bra is a good investment.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You're probably right about only being able to find terrible cheap bras. Money is pretty tight, but most of what I have is in tatters. I guess I'll just have to find something workable until I can afford better. Thanks!

suzu

I usually hate underwire bras, but the Hannah ones from AE/Aerie are nice and comfortable. I only go bra shopping when there are sales haha..

In your size.
Are not push-ups.
Aren't hideous.

Not sure what you're working with, but if you're on the smaller-boobed side like myself, H&M makes pretty decent bras on the cheap. They are comfy, cute, and it wont hurt when it comes time to replace them since they're usually under $20 a pop. On the higher end of the price scale, Calvin Klein is my go-to, especially for wearing under form-fitting tees. Cosabella and Betsey Johnson is my favorite for stuff on the sexier side, since the whole line is basically devoid of outrageous padding.

I guess what I'm saying is, stay away from Fredrick's/Victoria's Secret

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I guess its a bit different in the US but here in the UK every major clothing store does bras and at some of them you can try them on before you buy. There are many cheap stores like matalan, and then there are mid range stores like marks and spencers where I usually always shop at. Personally, I would NEVER buy a bra online!

RawPower

Banned
I thought this might be a good place to bring it up.

Does anyone have a favorite female vocalist? I'll post mine later. Too many to name, honestly.

DanaInPurple

Neo Member
Okay here we go:

ENYA
Sarah Brightman
Katherine Jenkins
Loreena McKennitt
Candice Night
Lara Fabian
Adele
Imelda May
Dolores O'Riordan
Simone Simons

Zoe

I guess its a bit different in the US but here in the UK every major clothing store does bras and at some of them you can try them on before you buy. There are many cheap stores like matalan, and then there are mid range stores like marks and spencers where I usually always shop at. Personally, I would NEVER buy a bra online!

You can try them on anywhere that sells them in the US.

The best thing is to go to an independent store dedicated to lingerie (not Victoria's Secret) and get measured and fitted.

Leeness

In your size.
Are not push-ups.
Aren't hideous.

Until I found this one place, I had the worst, worst time with bras. I can't shop the cheap places, and all I could find before were super expensive ($100+ for one bra) and so I wore the one till it died its last death. They were also super ugly and beige forever.

http://change.com/en-ca/

This place is my savior. Haha. I don't think you'll have one, but if you do, they are cheap (for me at least) and have cute colours (I can finally wear colours on my bras yessss).

But yes. This place fulfills all requirements and is my favourite ever. I love them. <3 Thanks, Change, for making well priced bras for ladies with ridiculous breasts. :D

Buying a bra online is like buying shoes online. They are the two things that really need to fit perfectly, so you want to get a good feel for them before you buy them. Can you exchange it if the size is wrong? If not, I'd be really wary about buying online.

Last week I went looking for an awesome push up bra, and ended up buying a really cute lacy one that wasn't push up at all. I have very mixed feelings about it. Its cute, but it also represents the disappointing truth :p

ikkemenx

What are your opinions on the pushups that have the clasp in the front? I've always avoided pushups because they have never done anything but flatten my breasts or simply hover over them because of the padding. Recently though I tried the ones that open in front for the first time and they work PERFECTLY. They lift in all the right spots and don't make it seem like I'm wearing a pushup. Thoughts?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Last week I went looking for an awesome push up bra, and ended up buying a really cute lacy one that wasn't push up at all. I have very mixed feelings about it. Its cute, but it also represents the disappointing truth :p

Man, how I would kill for smaller boobs! I used to have B sized when I was younger 4 or 5 years ago and I loved wearing tight T-shirts but now I feel so self concious whenever I do. Mine aren't even THAT big to begin with, I dunno how ladies with much bigger chests deal with it.

ikkemenx

Man, how I would kill for smaller boobs! I used to have B sized when I was younger 4 or 5 years ago and I loved wearing tight T-shirts but now I feel so self concious whenever I do. Mine aren't even THAT big to begin with, I dunno how ladies with much bigger chests deal with it.

They just got bigger out of nowhere? Chest growth spurt? When will mine come?!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I had the same thing happen :| Somewhere in my early to mid-20s they went from B to D. It was a very awkward adjustment period, especially given that I was also living in Japan where bra sizes are way different from ours anyway. I ended up getting bras with way huge band sizes to compensate.

Leeness

Ha @ Lissar and Inanna complaining about D-size. :p Guuuurls, you can't even.

Agree, shanshan, I wouldn't buy a bra online unless it was super cheap, so if it sucked, whatever, it was only $10. I definitely have to try them before buying.

What are your opinions on the pushups that have the clasp in the front? I've always avoided pushups because they have never done anything but flatten my breasts or simply hover over them because of the padding. Recently though I tried the ones that open in front for the first time and they work PERFECTLY. They lift in all the right spots and don't make it seem like I'm wearing a pushup. Thoughts?

oooh those are really hard to find. I should try them out!

I had the same thing happen :| Somewhere in my early to mid-20s they went from B to D. It was a very awkward adjustment period, especially given that I was also living in Japan where bra sizes are way different from ours anyway. I ended up getting bras with way huge band sizes to compensate.

Come on 20th birthday don't fail me now!

I wonder why, it seems like a really odd time for a growth spurt...

Come on 20th birthday don't fail me now!

I wonder why, it seems like a really odd time for a growth spurt...

Blame hormones.

Your skin will change about a half-dozen times post-puberty (and you thought you were done with acne!), and in the words of my doctor: "every woman hits a point in her life where her metabolism no longer works the way it once did".

For me, that was my 22nd birthday.

Blame hormones.

Your skin will change about a half-dozen times post-puberty (and you thought you were done with acne!), and in the words of my doctor: "every woman hits a point in her life where her metabolism no longer works the way it once did".

More proof that I need to eat as many delicious things as possible before its too late.

Not looking forward to more acne =/ I never had a lot, but I used to get really big ones in embarrassing places (tip of my nose/chin etc). I guess it depends on your diet as well..

ikkemenx

Oh lawd I hope that happens to me. C would be just great.

Emitan

Every girl I know with small breasts wants larger ones. Every girl I know (with the exception of ONE) with large breasts wishes she could trade with someone with small breasts. Grass is always greener, I guess.

Blame hormones.

Mine hasn't. My mom's didn't till she had me.

Every girl I know with small breasts wants larger ones. Every girl I know (with the exception of ONE) with large breasts wishes she could trade with someone with small breasts. Grass is always greener, I guess.

True. I guess as someone with smaller breasts you don't often think about the troubles larger breasts can cause (namely backpain and staring, which I don't envy). Still, cleavage would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom