• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Slayven

It's not just you. It's exceedingly rare to find entertainment targeted towards young women that isn't insultingly stupid.

Same for fiction targeted at older women too, actually.

Yeah the older women fiction is pretty much the same, but the woman discovers she likes to be choked out. Not there is anything wrong with that.

Hello ladies, I got a question that has been in my mind for a while. Is it me or YA fiction targeted at girls kind of insulting? Like 98% of the heroines don't find self worth until 2 or more dudes are fighting over her.

It seems a lot more insidious then the boys' version where they just get an awesome sword or super powers.
Due to the popularity of Twilight, the situation has gotten much worse.

I'm kinda thinking about trying pole dancing, because DEM ABS. Anyone got experience?

Hello ladies, I got a question that has been in my mind for a while. Is it me or YA fiction targeted at girls kind of insulting? Like 98% of the heroines don't find self worth until 2 or more dudes are fighting over her.

It seems a lot more insidious then the boys' version where they just get an awesome sword or super powers.

YA as in Young Adult? Its weird because I've had the complete opposite experience with YA fiction, save for twilight of course. Harry Potter I'd consider to be YA. Books like the sisterhood of the travelling pants and Tomorrow when the war began had strong female protagonists who developed without the aid of 'boys'. Even in books where boys did feature most of the books I read at that age were more focused on whatever the female equivalent of 'bros over hoes' is.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Oh come on like Austen novels are any better.

Exactly, I remember reading a few in my younger days and they made me so frickin furious! The main guy is always such a sarcastic chauvinistic dickbag insulting the girl as much as possible, acting aloof etc and the girls always go "OMG, why does he do that, maybe I deserve it" or "he's such a manly handsome man that I'm so paralysed in front of him to stand up for myself"

Yeah only read a few but damn these books make my blood boil! :-\

I'm kinda thinking about trying pole dancing, because DEM ABS. Anyone got experience?.
The moment you start jumping around the experience becomes embarrassing.

And I haven't read much YA fiction outside of Potter and Twilight (before the movies, stopped halfway through). Well, comics, but it's not the same. And I heard Hunger Games isn't bad, but I'm reading A Song of Ice and Firw now.

Opiate

Exactly, I remember reading a few in my younger days and they made me so frickin furious! The main guy is always such a sarcastic chauvinistic dickbag insulting the girl as much as possible, acting aloof etc and the girls always go "OMG, why does he do that, maybe I deserve it" or "he's such a manly handsome man that I'm so paralysed in front of him to stand up for myself"

Yeah only read a few but damn these books make my blood boil! :-\

Really, really strongly disagree with both of these assessments. Just for starters, the arrogance the men are supposed to display in Austen's novels is deliberate and also very much intended to be a flaw, not a feature.

There's a pretty big difference between "He's aloof and distant.... which is what makes him so sexy and mysterious" and "He's aloof and distant... which is why the protagonist doesn't like him unless and until he overcomes those deficits." That's the entire point of Pride and Prejudice, for example.

This comic basically sums up why I've never understood why so many girls find these kind of books "romantic:"

brontessm.png

Opiate

I'm definitely not going to defend the Brontes, other than to put them in to historical context. That is, the first writers to do schlock romantic fiction are much more important than the 1,000,000th writer to do it 250 years later -- very much how Beowulf is much more important than virtually all modern "epic fantasy" because it happened to be the first one written in English. Long after Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth and Game of Thrones have been forgotten, Beowulf will still be performed and taught in schools. Doing it first means quite a bit.

I happen to be preferential the Russians (particularly Dostoevsky), but admittedly their women tend to be weak and simpering as well. It's a consequence of the times.

CleverGirl

Neo Member

I have to say that Austen novels are substantially better. Austen pairs societal criticisms and human insights in her stories. Both the hero and the heroine are flawed characters (except maybe Fanny Price who is her most passive and static heroine) whose romance helps them grow into better people. The women in the novels who marry unwisely, think Lydia in Pride and Prejudice, are not praised for having "captured" a husband unless it is by an already established foolish character. Jane Austen always stresses the importance of marrying for love and that the character of your marriage partner should be known ahead of time. (Anne Elliot/Captain Wentworth vs Anne Elliot/William Elliot). Jane Austen does not endorse abusive relationships even if it means becoming a spinster, in a time when becoming a spinster meant dying in the streets alone.

The Brontes on the other hand... I hate them.

I actually haven't read any of Austen's works. My experience with classic literature outside of high school is severely lacking. I don't read enough books in general. :\

CleverGirl

Neo Member
I don't know that Jane Austen had much respect for classical literature. Her character Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey preferred to read the trashy modern romance novels because they were focused on women. Sure crazy-ass women doing crazy-ass stuff like seducing monks and getting kidnapped but still that was more than she could find in so called "classical" literature. Catherine couldn't relate to any the classical works because they were about wars and great men when all of her experiences centered around the family. I'm not sure Austen would be comfortable being called classical.

Also the movies kept being made because...

rupert_440x293.jpg

Swoon!

I will stop now, because, I could really just go on forever. Like a crazy rambling chimp.

FyreWulff

I actually haven't read any of Austen's works. My experience with classic literature outside of high school is severely lacking. I don't read enough books in general. :\

I used to work at a library (never again). I stayed out of sight during the Jane Austen theme month.

Kisaya

I'm a sucker for romances. Give me anything with a character like Mr. Darcy and I'll eat that up.

I miss reading classics. Unfortunately school can only motivate me to read now :<

Come to think of it, my sister really likes Jane Austen and she is a far, far cry from a feminist. >_>

Looking at coverage of beach volleyball at the Olympics, I really have to wonder how much of the uniform is function and how much is fashion. Apparently this was the first year that women could wear shorts if they wanted to? Wow.

Masoria

Neo Member
Pike is some next level shit, the book about Mars and vampires was freaky.

I LOVED Christopher Pike growing up, his books were actually banned from my middle school library and I was so pissed. But trying to read them again now? My brain can't handle how poorly written they are.

Zoe

I LOVED Christopher Pike growing up, his books were actually banned from my middle school library and I was so pissed. But trying to read them again now? My brain can't handle how poorly written they are.

Noooo, don't taint my memories :(

(at least he was way better than RL Stein)

peach

Taking a husband's last name is one of the few conventionally sexist ideas which I feel has practical value: it keeps house finances simple, it keeps social situations simpler (if she has your last name, it's obvious what the situation is), and most importantly, it simplifies the naming of the child.

We have been together for 9 years and shared a bank account for some time - the checks/statements just have two names on them. Most people are pretty understanding when I say, we're married, I just kept my name. There are always those who give "the look" though. lol.

Not sure if we are planning on kids, definitely not in the near future... I think my last name will be part of the middle name and his last name will be their last... but we will cross that road if/when necessary.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The best book, of those written from a female perspective and in general, is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Yeah I'm re-reading it right now, and what stands out about it to me on my re-read; is how amazing the portrayal of Sissy is, when you consider the time period the novel was first released in. Although, the book in general has a lot of other awesome proto-feminist stuff in it.

Ashes

Banned
'Are You There God, It's Me Margaret' By Judy Blume

Is pretty much the YA female book.

As for Austen. Pride and Prejudice is always better than people actually think it is for most people who read it. Though I suppose I appreciated it more for her craft, then what other posters have eluded to so far.

The first few books that come to my head when I think about feminine books:

A Thousand Splendid Suns
Madame Bovary
Anne Frank
Anna Karenina
etc etc etc

Mumei

On the subject of YA fiction, while it is not made specifically for girls, it does feature a female protagonist and an author who is consciously feminist:

9591398.jpg

The book is quite wonderful, but it did get some criticisms that it was too tough for children and I loved her response on this issue.

I have to say that Austen novels are substantially better. Austen pairs societal criticisms and human insights in her stories. Both the hero and the heroine are flawed characters (except maybe Fanny Price who is her most passive and static heroine) whose romance helps them grow into better people. The women in the novels who marry unwisely, think Lydia in Pride and Prejudice, are not praised for having "captured" a husband unless it is by an already established foolish character. Jane Austen always stresses the importance of marrying for love and that the character of your marriage partner should be known ahead of time. (Anne Elliot/Captain Wentworth vs Anne Elliot/William Elliot). Jane Austen does not endorse abusive relationships even if it means becoming a spinster, in a time when becoming a spinster meant dying in the streets alone.

... Which reminds me, I need to read the copy of Pride and Prejudice I picked up from the library. I had a friend strongly recommend it as her favorite book. Personally, I feel like I can usually get into a novel even if it isn't

The Brontes on the other hand... I hate them.

I had a love / hate relationship with Jane Eyre (only Bronte novel I have read). There were parts that I just loved (particularly her as a child), but so much of it just drove me nuts, especially the romance aspect and the nature of their relationship.

Oh, and physiognomy reveals all.

Masoria

Neo Member
I have such a hard time reading 18 & 19th century literature. I tried reading P&P, and couldn't get more than halfway through. I even tried P&P&Z and couldn't do it at all. My brain can't handle the diction.

Ashes

Banned
I have such a hard time reading 18 & 19th century literature. I tried reading P&P, and couldn't get more than halfway through. I even tried P&P&Z and couldn't do it at all. My brain can't handle the diction.

Liking books is about as subjective as anything really; no real need to like this book or that book. When Austen fans bring up Persuasion as one of her best works, I just don't get it. It was dull as fuck for me.

But some of the other ones are very good I think. Emma, Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice. Light hearted, with irony, and social commentary thrown in as well.

Something like To the lighthouse [Virginia Woolf], which I reread again lately, is harder to recommend, But I would have recommend if it were more accessible.

CleverGirl

Neo Member

I just can't get down with those Byronic heroes of the Bronte novels. They're jerks! The women are considered heroines if they can suffer enough.

But yes Fassbender as Rochester, is perfection.

I've met a lot of people who can't get through the old style of writing. I think that is why modern day adaptations like Bridget Jones' Diary or Clueless are so popular. You still get great stories but without the antiquated rules of etiquette or ways of speaking to get in the way.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
No one can compare to Ian McKellen.

Definitely! I didn't like James McAvoy as Xavier either, actually I didn't think much of First Class, it wasn't X3 level bad but it was bad.

Oh and extremely muscular guys look kinda odd to me with their bulging biceps and veins poppin out. I like athletic build guys with nicely defined abs and slight pecks. Not really big into huge veiny biceps!

Leeness

All men posted are lovely.

But I have a problem with Fassbender. :( He's good looking, but he beat the shit out of a previous girlfriend so... Do not want.

Biggest celeb crush...Hm. At the moment, Benedict Cumberbatch hahahahaha. Alien cat man.

I also highly enjoy Momoa posted above, ummm, haha the guy who plays Rick in Walking Dead. Andrew Lincoln. I think he's foine.

And just because, I think Daniel Radcliffe is precious as hell. Very talented and pretty smart.

Definitely! I didn't like James McAvoy as Xavier either, actually I didn't think much of First Class, it wasn't X3 level bad but it was bad.
Not Matthew Vaughn's best work, I liked James McAvoy's performance though. I mostly blame 20th Century Fox, why anyone works with them is beyond me.

Nah.

Oh and extremely muscular guys look kinda odd to me with their bulging biceps and veins poppin out. I like athletic build guys with nicely defined abs and slight pecks. Not really big into huge veiny biceps!
Who is veiny?
jason-momoa-port.jpg

This is just pure glory.

But I have a problem with Fassbender. :( He's good looking, but he beat the shit out of a previous girlfriend so... Do not want.
Seems to be bull from what I've seen online... if true do not want, obviously.

With Hemsworth, Drogo and company running around it's not like he's needed. I'm happy with 299.

Top Bottom