• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"If you don't like how women are portrayed in games, make your own game studio and make your own games!"

"Okay!" *starts game studio*

*gets harassed, stalked, doxxed, threatened with rape and death and hacking of the company finances*

NeOak

At times I wonder if there's no way to deal with this but to just pretend like this segment of the population doesn't exist?

You know the whole deal - a boot doesn't notice the ants.

(Oh Loki <3)

I think one of the things those kind of people believe is that for women to be successful, men have to fail or something.

They can't see both sexes winning at the same time.

I thought that was implied lol.

It's always our fault :(
I have to admit that for a long time, I blamed women for my lack of success.

In happy to say that not anymore.

I can't belive that this happens over something that's basically toys. :/

So, so much this. Recreation is hugely important, but how did something that's meant to be about fun, first and foremost, turn into this mess?

Going OT (sorry!) I've got a new job! It's in a big ol' engineering and urban design consultancy and I'll actually need proper officewear - not the mish-mash of jeans, sweaters and Converse that's been my uniform in publishing for the last six years.

I'm pretty damn clueless, so can anyone recommend any good fashion blogs for someone who finally has to start dressing like a grownup?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well all done with working at ACL! I'm pretty beat from these two weekends and the girl dancing on top of the mini capital at the end yesterday was amusing.

I've been considering getting a shoulder length cut after I get paid and re-dying all my hair red since the black is seeping in too much at the moment, but I'm just going to relax the next few days with the Bayonetta 2 demo and replay it another 100 times or so till I get Pure Platinum. It's just like the first time I played the original game where I was swept with a lot of joy with how fun it was. <3

So, so much this. Recreation is hugely important, but how did something that's meant to be about fun, first and foremost, turn into this mess?

Going OT (sorry!) I've got a new job! It's in a big ol' engineering and urban design consultancy and I'll actually need proper officewear - not the mish-mash of jeans, sweaters and Converse that's been my uniform in publishing for the last six years.

I'm pretty damn clueless, so can anyone recommend any good fashion blogs for someone who finally has to start dressing like a grownup?

aaaaaahhhh that's great!

I'm still looking :(

meow

Congrats on the job! Suggestions will kinda depend on how business/casual your workplace is. I don't personally check it much but I've heard people use corporette.com, I usually just go with what the clothes models at Ann Taylor/Banana Republic wear, hah, and then adjust depending on what I see the women in the office wear.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I got some haircuts I'm throwing around for when I go to the Salon again in a week or two since my hair is getting long enough towards it's a pain to maintain. I'm going for something around shoulder length but I'm finding it hard to find something I'm completely satisfied with though. Here is my ideas for now:

joey-3b.jpg
f973d475c07418425d1aebe9b06e457c.jpg
da0d6f237285f64b6884edf6af49cd82.jpg

I'm going for something shorter than usual so not having hair so long will be odd but I'm wondering if I should throw in some purple in my hair colorings too or go all purple.

Mistel

Banned
I'm going for something shorter than usual so not having hair so long will be odd but I'm wondering if I should throw in some purple in my hair colorings too or go all purple.
Maybe start small with a bit of coloring then go whole thing with the purple. It means if you don't like it you've not got to deal with a whole head of purple hair. Plus you can experiment with shades.

soepje

How so?

Reminds me of mine except all of my grey is just on the top.
Usually grey hair doesn't start growing in great masses out of nowhere. If you see the big picture from behind, the long part of the hair is brownish and relatively shiny while all the hair closer to his skull is greyish and looks way more dry. It could be that he had colored his hair ages ago and decided to let it grow out, but then it's strange that the colored part looks healthier.

My vote would go to extensions too, or maybe just a fake piece.

Zoe

Usually grey hair doesn't start growing in great masses out of nowhere. If you see the big picture from behind, the long part of the hair is brownish and relatively shiny while all the hair closer to his skull is greyish and looks way more dry. It could be that he had colored his hair ages ago and decided to let it grow out, but then it's strange that the colored part looks healthier.

My vote would go to extensions too, or maybe just a fake piece.

That's how my grey hair grows though. It's all coming from the top and has a different texture while the bottom half is pretty much untouched.

Congrats on the job! Suggestions will kinda depend on how business/casual your workplace is. I don't personally check it much but I've heard people use corporette.com, I usually just go with what the clothes models at Ann Taylor/Banana Republic wear, hah, and then adjust depending on what I see the women in the office wear.

Thank you! Definitely on the business side rather than casual. I'm in the UK, so don't have access to a branch of Ann Taylor, but I can have a wander round Banana Republic at lunchtime. Ooh, and they have a tall range online! Score!

Edit: And Mr Bardot is kinda foxy.

Opiate

I can't belive that this happens over something that's basically toys. :/

I don't think it is happening over toys. It's happening over an exclusionary culture which feels threatened by the sudden influx of perceived "outsiders."

That culture happens to be centered around video games, but it's the culture that is at stake here.

congrats on job :D sounds like it's a more professional environment you're going into!

i think for me, black, well fitting business pants have been my saviour. i have a few pairs. for tops, you can experiment with all sorts of blouses and shirts and turtlenecks (for winter), then just layer it with business blazer or nice jackets or cardigans. shoes are low-heels or flats, for me. but when it's important meeting, i bring in a pair of nice high heels in separate bag so I can change into them during the day.

@xia, hahaha those look so goofy :D i love the brigitte bardot guy :D he can rock it !!!

@ topic on men's entrenchment in videogame culture, i always find it weird that whenever women goes into men's 'perceived traditional' space, the vitriol is unreal. and when men goes into women's 'perceived traditional' space (such as cutesy things like my little pony, which is a show designed for young girls), there's so much entitlement being spouted to make space for them.

it's so bizzaaaaaarrrrreeeeeeee

Opiate

It's not particular to gaming culture, either. Look at how men behave regarding things like sports; they're often exclusionary in the same way, naming some people as not "true" fans, or looking down on "fairweather" fans, and the like.

I wouldn't say it's exclusive to men, but it's far more common in male-dominated hobbies. It's a tribal instinct. I'm not saying that's a good thing; I'm just describing it.

It's not particular to gaming culture, either. Look at how men behave regarding things like sports; they're often exclusionary in the same way, naming some people as not "true" fans, or looking down on "fairweather" fans, and the like.

I wouldn't say it's exclusive to men, but it's far more common in male-dominated hobbies. It's a tribal instinct. I'm not saying that's a good thing; I'm just describing it.

Yeah, I notice the same. It's an interesting observation, to be sure.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I've seen it happen in some metal forums too. Female metal fans accused of going to shows just to pick up guys (because they dressed sexy of course), of not really being into the music and just wanting attention, etc. I've also seen a lot of positive support as well (including dorky "omg a girl who likes metal SO COOL can I marry you lol XD", just like we've seen in gaming too), too. Uncanny how similar it can be.

Luckily I've never seen anything on the level of #gg in terms of vitriol aimed at women in metal, at least, nor epidemic levels of harassment.

I don't know about you ladies, but this looks pretty sweet to me.
I disagree. It looks awful. I don't care much for effeminate men generally, but this mixed with the beards just look even worse.

Speaking of hot men though... Right now I'm watching S2 season of Hell on Wheels, and I cannot stop crushing on Cullen Bohannon (played by Anson Mount). He's so damn sexy it's almost distracting me at times... xD
HOW-Cast-S4-Cullen-590.jpg

Yrael

I think it's time to try a different shampoo and I have no friggen clue where to start in finding one. Beauty/personal care products are the absolute worst in terms of obfuscation.

Personally, I use Organix (sulfate-free!) and Costco's prem brand since it's really pretty much Pureology (really nice high end shampoo).

I would recommend those two. Also, DIY hair treatment! Coconut oil, avocado, mayo <3.
*gag* I wouldn't eat mayo let along put it on my scalp. :x

The lack of industry standards even for labels is so annoying.

I think it's time to try a different shampoo and I have no friggen clue where to start in finding one. Beauty/personal care products are the absolute worst in terms of obfuscation.

If you do find one you like, please share. I'm in the same boat after trying a bunch of new ones lately and my scalp/hair have been not so happy.

Though... hadn't washed my hair in a few days (Shower daily, but only wash it every 3-5 days) and when I got in the other day to clean it, and got it all good and soaked to shampoo, the hot water cut and I had to get out without washing it. Next day hot water was still borked, so still couldn't clean it, but I noticed something weird. It felt OK and smelled nice. Slightly heavier texture, but water-only seems to have generally cleaned it with no need for shampoo or other stuff. Scalp feels good too.

I remember the threads about people who stopped using shampoo/rinse entirely and said it was amazing, but I'd never considered giving it a go because stale hair looks and feels so bad. But, maybe I'll see what happens if I just water rinse again today. Not like I have to leave the house for the next week or so anyway. :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If you do find one you like, please share. I'm in the same boat after trying a bunch of new ones lately and my scalp/hair have been not so happy.

Though... hadn't washed my hair in a few days (Shower daily, but only wash it every 3-5 days) and when I got in the other day to clean it, and got it all good and soaked to shampoo, the hot water cut and I had to get out without washing it. Next day hot water was still borked, so still couldn't clean it, but I noticed something weird. It felt OK and smelled nice. Slightly heavier texture, but water-only seems to have generally cleaned it with no need for shampoo or other stuff. Scalp feels good too.

I remember the threads about people who stopped using shampoo/rinse entirely and said it was amazing, but I'd never considered giving it a go because stale hair looks and feels so bad. But, maybe I'll see what happens if I just water rinse again today. Not like I have to leave the house for the next week or so anyway. :D

The no shampoo thing takes a while for your hair to acclimate but it's fine. There is also the recommended method of using apple cider vinegar and baking soda to clean meanwhile while your hair adjusts, but I stopped for now since I have to be on a trip for about a week soon anyways and I can't bring those particular items in with me.

Aiustis

The no shampoo thing takes a while for your hair to acclimate but it's fine. There is also the recommended method of using apple cider vinegar and baking soda to clean meanwhile while your hair adjusts, but I stopped for now since I have to be on a trip for about a week soon anyways and I can't bring those particular items in with me.

I use apple cider vinegar. But I wash my hair about every 3 months. Once or twice a year I wash it with soap because I apply a protein treatment.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I couldn't go a few days without washing my hair, much less weeks or months. My hair is super oily, which, while it makes for healthy hair, a few days of no washing and I look like a drowned rat.

Yeah that's why I'm stopping while I'm away since it gets way too oily so quick and without the vinegar and baking soda on me I'd have no way to strip that way. x:

I don't worry about the shampoo for myself. As long as animals haven't had to suffer for vanity then all is good for me.

I do have a problem in that I wash my hair nearly everyday as I do a lot of pretty intensive exercise. This makes me look like a scarecrow as my hair is a bit flyaway.

I did the baking soda 'shampoo' and apple cider mix today. Everything actually feels generally OK, if a bit limp. Scalp isn't tight or itchy and hair is shiny and clean, it seems. The vinegar smell is still faintly there, even though I rinsed a lot. Since my hair is so long maybe I have to rinse even more?

Man, putting that stuff on my head in the shower was a real ugh moment. Everything about it felt wrong and weird. I kept expecting to look at my hands after massaging it in and find clumps and clumps of hair from some horrible reaction. :p Seems OK-ish, though. I'll carry this on for a bit, I think. Australia's been hell for my hair, so it's nice to fine something non-harsh and simple.

I use apple cider vinegar. But I wash my hair about every 3 months. Once or twice a year I wash it with soap because I apply a protein treatment.

Is the apple better than white vinegar? I used apple, but I have both at home. I'm amazed you only wash it every 3 months. Is you hair really fine for that long? Or do you mean every 3 months you use actual shampoo instead of just the vinegar...?

I couldn't go a few days without washing my hair, much less weeks or months. My hair is super oily, which, while it makes for healthy hair, a few days of no washing and I look like a drowned rat.

This might be good for you, then. I asked around to see if anyone else had tried it, and a twitter fellow said he had really oily hair and it worked for him. Honestly, I'm surprised at how... normal(?) it feels not using shampoo. Liking it so far for the most part. Except for the 'washing' part in the shower. Haha.

Loona

Partially inspired by a lot of unpleasant discussions and events becoming visible in recent times, it crossed my mind to put together a little topic featuring relatively old (as in 20+ years) depictions of girls being involved with video games in fiction I'm aware of - I can't help but wonder if there's something I missed, maybe someone here can think of something else?

Here it is:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=912695

Samara

I did the baking soda 'shampoo' and apple cider mix today. Everything actually feels generally OK, if a bit limp. Scalp isn't tight or itchy and hair is shiny and clean, it seems. The vinegar smell is still faintly there, even though I rinsed a lot. Since my hair is so long maybe I have to rinse even more?

Is the apple better than white vinegar? I used apple, but I have both at home. I'm amazed you only wash it every 3 months. Is you hair really fine for that long? Or do you mean every 3 months you use actual shampoo instead of just the vinegar...?

This might be good for you, then. I asked around to see if anyone else had tried it, and a twitter fellow said he had really oily hair and it worked for him. Honestly, I'm surprised at how... normal(?) it feels not using shampoo. Liking it so far for the most part. Except for the 'washing' part in the shower. Haha.

Its apple vinegar and not the regular onme. The Apple cider is more in terms of ph balance.

And you could not 'wash' your hair, but just wash with conditionner. Its called cowash. If your head is not full of gels, grease, there is not always the need to wash with shampoo, conditioonner will do the trick just fine. Herbal Essence is one of my favorite because of the smell, so is Organix. The coconut one, rose colour and self targeting are the best imo. Organix's shea butter is good

Aiustis

I prefer apple to white in smell and taste. Apple has higher acidity and less is more. And yeah I only do the apple cider thing every 3 months. I got the blackest of black people hair.

Top Bottom