• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Phil S.

Banned
Thank you for the responses! I didn't know if I was being too thin-skinned. Then again, I'm one to get annoyed with memes and "waifu" and "husbando" stuff. haha Thanks for being nice!

Anyway, Beautiful Katamari was fun when I owned a 360. It broke due to the Red Ring of Death issue. :/ I remember the sticks being hard to alternate cycling them up and down for a speed boost, IIRC. That said, I'd love to get Katamari Forever on the PS3. That's one I missed out on, and I think it's relatively inexpensive these days.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Ladies! Don't be afraid to post in my cheesy and stupid video game crush thread so it doesn't just turn into pictures of the actress who plays Quiet 😄

I've already made over a thousand posts on this forum. How did that happen? :x

your posts are always so thoughtful and interesting though yrael <3 pls more <3

Ladies! Don't be afraid to post in my cheesy and stupid video game crush thread so it doesn't just turn into pictures of the actress who plays Quiet &#128516;

i donno enough real life gaming people :< the only one i really know / follow on twitter is Artosis and Tasteless from the SC2 caster people :D they be funny and cute :D

.... does they count??? XD

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

i donno enough real life gaming people :< the only one i really know / follow on twitter is Artosis and Tasteless from the SC2 caster people :D they be funny and cute :D

.... does they count??? XD

Yeah of course!!!

girlgaf I need your help!
I'm growing tired of the same bob cut I had for quite a while now. plus my hair grew a bit longer, it's something more than chin-length in the front (shorter in the back) but still some way to the infamous shoulder mark. I feel like all the magazines and stuff only focus on long hair :l thus totally out of ideas. do you have any cool inspirations or know where I could get any?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
girlgaf I need your help!
I'm growing tired of the same bob cut I had for quite a while now. plus my hair grew a bit longer, it's something more than chin-length in the front (shorter in the back) but still some way to the infamous shoulder mark. I feel like all the magazines and stuff only focus on long hair :l thus totally out of ideas. do you have any cool inspirations or know where I could get any?
Keep growing it until it reaches a good length (past your shoulders). It's the only way.

ricki42

Pfffft, such short hair is for working in the fields like a peasant! Down to your butt is the best length. *nods*

Pffft. I used to have hair down to my butt, but then I decided I'd rather work in the fields with the peasants than throw a tea party with Rapunzel :p Now my hair doesn't even cover my ears. So convenient!
Also, my hair is simply untameable and will start sticking out in every direction; shoulder length is impossible

Cat

Hey GirlGAF, I hope you don't mind if I drop another round of feminist/women/girl-related items on you since I've seen a lot. I may even make some threads, not sure yet. I know Yrael at least said she might look at the last round I posted of these, and I really like her posts.

Serious Pony: Trouble at the Kool-Aid Point - Chilling piece about online harassment experienced by one woman in tech, already posted in the gamergate thread in Gaming.

Ecowatch: Pinkwashing: Fracking Company Teams Up With Susan G. Komen to ‘End Breast Cancer Forever’ - Fracking is bad for the environment and linked to causing cancer (including breast cancer) so that's why this move is alarming.

Madame Noire: Dr. Lisa Williams’ Positively Perfect Dolls Teaches Children Of Color To Love The Skin They’re In - I feel the title is self-explanatory here.

Colorlines: New Report Details Barriers to Black Girls’ Success - I actually did make a thread about this one already some days ago.

The Last Word (video): Emma Watson, Taylor Swift: new wave feminism - Lawrence talks to actress Pia Glenn and Elizabeth Plank of Mic.com about what effect celebrity feminism has on advancing gender equality.

2 year old, Zaya’s choreography to Chandelier by Sia! - Brought to my attention by one of my parenting-related Twitter accounts as "a great example of promoting creativity and following a child's lead." This is just cute.

EEOC: City discriminated against female workers - Local to me but relevant as an example of evident wage discrimination. I'm linking the tweet because it has the link to read the article without a subscription.

What else is new? How are things?

How are things GirlGAF?

things are good on my end, sploatee :D ......... its friday! \o/ and i think i need new clothes. all i've got are jeans and pants and stuff, and i wants to try new looks.... like skirts or tights and stuff :x but i donno how to start...... waaaaaaaaaaaah

shopping i guess :x i sort of not very good at these shopping business .... ;___;

how is sploatee :>

I'm with Morri on hair!!!! (biasbiasbias: i've got almost butt-length long straight hair, hohoho)

no just kidding. i had sported boycut before this present hair style and it was awesome! such lowwwwww lowlow maintenance. it was super short and feels light on my head :D

but at the moment: #teamtruthfact

Cat, always appreciate these kinds of articles yo <3 drop as many as you like on me \o/ they are very interesting and makes for good food for thoughts :>

Keep growing it until it reaches a good length (past your shoulders). It's the only way.

yeah but I need a solution for the transition :l I don't want to shorten it, just reshaping. there have to be some haircuts for short-medium hair goddammit ;_;

I agree with dax though, everything beyond shoulder length is way too much for my taste. it may look good on other people, just not me. btw: isn't it a pain in the ass to take care of? :eek: I think I would go nuts anyway haha.

yeah but I need a solution for the transition :l I don't want to shorten it, just reshaping. there have to be some haircuts for short-medium hair goddammit ;_;

I agree with dax though, everything beyond shoulder length is way too much for my taste. it may look good on other people, just not me. btw: isn't it a pain in the ass to take care of? :eek: I think I would go nuts anyway haha.

have you try one of those "stylishly messy" styles? they seem to work for transitioning between short to middle length. i haven't the foggiest idea how to do them though, cuz my hair resists styling gel. very stubbornly straight hair :<

but i've got friends who has layered their hair as they transition to longer hair to do that "messy but intentionally so" looks.... i guess it depends on how much trouble you wanna go through every day in the morning though ;___;

re: longlong hair, yeah im struggling with it to be honest! i made a few comments a while ago at how it annoys me when i sleep, i keep rolling and sleeping over my own hair. so i braid it before i sleep these days. it helps :D its the first time in my life having it this long though so im enjoying the experience, even the annoying part XD

have you try one of those "stylishly messy" styles? they seem to work for transitioning between short to middle length. i haven't the foggiest idea how to do them though, cuz my hair resists styling gel. very stubbornly straight hair :<

but i've got friends who has layered their hair as they transition to longer hair to do that "messy but intentionally so" looks.... i guess it depends on how much trouble you wanna go through every day in the morning though ;___;

re: longlong hair, yeah im struggling with it to be honest! i made a few comments a while ago at how it annoys me when i sleep, i keep rolling and sleeping over my own hair. so i braid it before i sleep these days. it helps :D its the first time in my life having it this long though so im enjoying the experience, even the annoying part XD
that's actually a cool idea and something different, thanks! will try to look for some pics on google although I'm not quite sure what exactly to look for, like what to type :D

hah! I did the same thing as a kid when I had longer hair. it's really cool because you get this nice wavy style everytime you undo it :3

that's actually a cool idea and something different, thanks! will try to look for some pics on google although I'm not quite sure what exactly to look for, like what to type :D

hah! I did the same thing as a kid when I had longer hair. it's really cool because you get this nice wavy style everytime you undo it :3

Messy-bob-hairstyle1.jpg

Jessica-Alba-Hairstyles-Messy-Short-Haircut.jpg

like those, sort of??? i donno i just typed in messy hairstyles :3

yesssssssssssssssh i love them wavywavyness after braid :D

Aiustis

Hey GirlGAF, I hope you don't mind if I drop another round of feminist/women/girl-related items on you since I've seen a lot. I may even make some threads, not sure yet. I know Yrael at least said she might look at the last round I posted of these, and I really like her posts.

Serious Pony: Trouble at the Kool-Aid Point - Chilling piece about online harassment experienced by one woman in tech, already posted in the gamergate thread in Gaming.

Ecowatch: Pinkwashing: Fracking Company Teams Up With Susan G. Komen to &#8216;End Breast Cancer Forever&#8217; - Fracking is bad for the environment and linked to causing cancer (including breast cancer) so that's why this move is alarming.

Madame Noire: Dr. Lisa Williams&#8217; Positively Perfect Dolls Teaches Children Of Color To Love The Skin They&#8217;re In - I feel the title is self-explanatory here.

Colorlines: New Report Details Barriers to Black Girls&#8217; Success - I actually did make a thread about this one already some days ago.

The Last Word (video): Emma Watson, Taylor Swift: new wave feminism - Lawrence talks to actress Pia Glenn and Elizabeth Plank of Mic.com about what effect celebrity feminism has on advancing gender equality.

2 year old, Zaya&#8217;s choreography to Chandelier by Sia! - Brought to my attention by one of my parenting-related Twitter accounts as "a great example of promoting creativity and following a child's lead." This is just cute.

EEOC: City discriminated against female workers - Local to me but relevant as an example of evident wage discrimination. I'm linking the tweet because it has the link to read the article without a subscription.

These are some really great reads. Edit: Can't watch vids right now

Cat

These are some really great reads. Edit: Can't watch vids right now

I'm glad someone's reading them!

~~~

I knew I forgot one. A friend posted shared this on Facebook:

Sexy Superhero - Short 3-minute video about women's superhero costumes. Morrigan Stark, this might be up your ally from your posts I've seen.

GarnetDust

I'm glad someone's reading them!

~~~

I knew I forgot one. A friend posted shared this on Facebook:

Sexy Superhero - Short 3-minute video about women's superhero costumes. Morrigan Stark, this might be up your ally from your posts I've seen.

Hahaha, wow, the tata tassles were a bit much. c:

like those, sort of??? i donno i just typed in messy hairstyles :3

yesssssssssssssssh i love them wavywavyness after braid :D
haha I had the same idea :D and yess I really like the first one *-*

I really want to get a 1920's style somewhat of a crossover of all these with some peekaboo coloring. I hope your haircut turns out well, trab! You ladies are getting me hyped for a haircut! c; I can't wait!

Asymmetrical-Cute-Haircuts-for-Medium-Hair.jpg

131b2ede-cc7d-4923-9010-64d9da5b79ee.jpg

41c81c81-4ec9-467a-a937-12d7ae2ad07d.jpg

Yrael

Aw, thank you. :)

Ecowatch: Pinkwashing: Fracking Company Teams Up With Susan G. Komen to ‘End Breast Cancer Forever’ - Fracking is bad for the environment and linked to causing cancer (including breast cancer) so that's why this move is alarming.

Madame Noire: Dr. Lisa Williams’ Positively Perfect Dolls Teaches Children Of Color To Love The Skin They’re In - I feel the title is self-explanatory here.

Colorlines: New Report Details Barriers to Black Girls’ Success - I actually did make a thread about this one already some days ago.

2 year old, Zaya’s choreography to Chandelier by Sia! - Brought to my attention by one of my parenting-related Twitter accounts as "a great example of promoting creativity and following a child's lead." This is just cute.

Hey this is awesome, thanks for posting these! I've got 'em all bookmarked, reading through them now.

I've been reading this recently as well, about gender bias in scientific publishing:

In Science, It Matters That Women Come Last

I really want to get a 1920's style somewhat of a crossover of all these with some peekaboo coloring. I hope your haircut turns out well, trab! You ladies are getting me hyped for a haircut! c; I can't wait!

Asymmetrical-Cute-Haircuts-for-Medium-Hair.jpg

131b2ede-cc7d-4923-9010-64d9da5b79ee.jpg

41c81c81-4ec9-467a-a937-12d7ae2ad07d.jpg

these cuts are so cute but look too much like what I had before :/ be sure to post your cut once you get one though :3 what's your situation now, long hair, medium hair?

The KoolAid one was so interesting and so true and so scary. I want to send her how much I appreciate her putting all of that into one amazing entry but her twitter is no more ??? :x

Might send her an email instead :>

The Ecowatch and Colorlines are eye-opening. Never heard of pinkwashing before but it's quite a harrowing thing. Hope more people realise the real causes of things before they support them, with articles like this one.

Colorlines one is very true and usually very dismissed to the side. People just dislike thinking that there is still a stigma attached to being woman AND being black. We live in post-racial world, etc. I saw your topic on it, Cat, but it was hard to post in it because I think sometimes black women's voice are drowned out by other women's voices.

I certainly didn't have it as hard as a black woman during schooling. Being Asian, I was one of those that was expected to perform academically well, instead of being expected NOT to perform academically well so I think it would be out of my place to contribute. Black women's voice should be heard and undiluted, I think.

I still have to finish reading / watching the others, but these are really, really good reads.

Thanks again <3

Cat

@Yrael, You're welcome. I've been reading the one you linked, but I'm not finished yet.

@YesNOnoNOYes, I've been reading up on feminism lately, if not already obvious from my posts, and with those reads, in addition to reading GAF, I've seen that there's "mainstream white feminism" that is considered to dismiss or not seriously consider issues facing women of color, particularly black women. From said reads was a suggestion that feminists, rather than try to hijack another word like womanism (specific to black women) or re-brand with a different, word, to try to change mainstream white feminism to better include those issues. With that in mind, I'll sometimes post topics or respond to issues affecting black people, even if I myself am not black. My heritage is mixed, but I generally identify as Hispanic.

@CyanideFuse, I've read the headline and blurbs though not any articles at length. I'll simply agree that the sentiment is very wrong and am glad for those speaking up on the obvious reasons of why. I'll try to read your link more in-depth when I get the chance.

~~~

If ya'll didn't hear, 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai, along with 60-year-old Kailash Satyarthi, won the Nobel Peace Prize. That makes Malala the youngest winner ever. She is an education activist.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If ya'll didn't hear, 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai, along with 60-year-old Kailash Satyarthi, won the Nobel Peace Prize. That makes Malala the youngest winner ever. She is an education activist.
Great news! Malala is awesome, an inspiring role model for all young women in the developing world for sure. She's incredibly brave. I bought her book I Am Malala as a Christmas present for my dad's girlfriend last year, but I kinda want to read it myself, I should buy another copy for myself really. ^^

Aiustis

Malala is awesome. I was reading her book. Education advocates are the best.

@Yrael, You're welcome. I've been reading the one you linked, but I'm not finished yet.

@YesNOnoNOYes, I've been reading up on feminism lately, if not already obvious from my posts, and with those reads, in addition to reading GAF, I've seen that there's "mainstream white feminism" that is considered to dismiss or not seriously consider issues facing women of color, particularly black women. From said reads was a suggestion that feminists, rather than try to hijack another word like womanism (specific to black women) or re-brand with a different, word, to try to change mainstream white feminism to better include those issues. With that in mind, I'll sometimes post topics or respond to issues affecting black people, even if I myself am not black. My heritage is mixed, but I generally identify as Hispanic.

@CyanideFuse, I've read the headline and blurbs though not any articles at length. I'll simply agree that the sentiment is very wrong and am glad for those speaking up on the obvious reasons of why. I'll try to read your link more in-depth when I get the chance.

~~~

Go Malala! She's so awesome and inspirational and a great role model !!

And yes, Cat, I notice those same trends as well. I agree, I think feminism needs to hear women of colour's voices out better and be more inclusive instead of speaking over some issues of discomfort. Personally, this is something that I feel like I need to educate myself on. Articles that you've been posting have been great help and illuminating <3

@Kisaya, omg you are so beautiful! And that outfit is so gorgeous yet comfortable yet sexy! <3333333333 Love how youve put it together, Kisa! That jacket is super cool, amg *_____* but i lovelovelove how you pull off the sweater and shorts and tights combo <3

alsoooooo purple hair! wooooooow hope it goes well <33333

Aiustis

Purple hair sounds awesome. My dressing habits are something like you'd expect from a five year old: Wear all my favorite things until a) they are too dirty and have to be washed or b) they start falling apart. Also pretty much only wear the brightest clothes ever.

Samara

This girl on a tatoo show has gorgeous purple hair (Alateya??) But I love purple everything.
isn't there usually a halloween thread done by someone from girlgaf?

It's simply the situation here and I find it more relaxing.

I want to know a guy for a while before deciding wheter I'd want him to enter my personal space.
Yeah, same here. I'd feel really weird/ uncomfortable going on a date with someone I'd just met randomly in the street unless there was some amazing connection.

Pfffft, such short hair is for working in the fields like a peasant! Down to your butt is the best length. *nods*

whhoooo. I'm almost there now :D I was gonna go full pixie cut and then a friend introduced me to the joys of braiding. It's a nightmare to brush but it's definitely worth it.

Malala is awesome. I was reading her book. Education advocates are the best.

ooh! I finished reading it a few months back. It's really great! I'm so happy she won. If you're at all interested in semi-semi related readings, I just read A thousand splendid suns and can recommend that.

Another female video gamer developer harassed to the point of leaving her home in fear of her safety.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...d-from-home/FjC4cjeqwEDxWFeeVpyWSP/story.html

Ugh.

Terrible thing to have experienced :(

I just don't understand the hate. It seems wildly disproportional. As if women in gaming makes life for these males unbearable or something. It's very intense.

But of course we'll just be told to ' toughen up buttercup' or something cuz men also are having it hard in the gaming industry or something. * rolls eyes*

Ugh.

Top Bottom