• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

lol

I love this thread, I wish I was a girl

34j2f22.jpg

I was reading that treehouse thread as it was happening. It was shocking. Neogaf is full of little boys.

Your avatar is one of my favorites :>

Misha

Banned
So was I and I got so enraged I had to stop. Especially because of this post (which the guy was rightfully banned for).

I read the thread before watching the video. Took me awhile to figure out what they were referring to. I'm now fully convinced that theres a lot of people on here who never met a woman before. When a t-shirt is enough to bother them...

shiba5

I recommend staying away from the "Only 3% of games shown at E3 keynotes featured exclusively female protagonists" thread as well. Full of Juniors who don't care but who care enough to shitpost about how they don't care.

Jobbs

Banned
I read the thread before watching the video. Took me awhile to figure out what they were referring to. I'm now fully convinced that theres a lot of people on here who never met a woman before. When a t-shirt is enough to bother them...

that's frequently my feeling when reading things on neogaf -- lot of little boys who have never talked to women and regard them as aliens.

FYI I sometimes wear shirts as tight as that, but no one comments (as far as I know).

So was I and I got so enraged I had to stop. Especially because of this post (which the guy was rightfully banned for).

that's one of the best ones!

Your avatar is one of my favorites :>

=D hi bento!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Rough day. I never really knew my dad, and my daughters father wants nothing to do with her.

Trying to just keep her busy and happy at the beach.

shiba5

Just came back from an all-women's kendo practice! :) Went for drinks and lunch after, lots of fun.

...And now I'm back on GAF and reading horrible gender threads. Why oh why do I do this to myself

Didn't you know that you don't really care about female representation in video games? I'm so glad that guy told me what I think. /tee hee time to get back in the kitchen

Seriously, I want to say something to that poster that would get me banned.

Nudull

Banned
Didn't you know that you don't really care about female representation in video games? I'm so glad that guy told me what I think. /tee hee time to get back in the kitchen

Seriously, I want to say something to that poster that would get me banned.

Oh, I have been there. So, so many times.

shiba5

I just love how privileged men, who are catered to constantly, crawl out of the woodwork to let us know how they don't care what gender a character is. I guess if 95% of games had only female protags, I too wouldn't mind if devs threw men a bone once in a long while. ffs why is this so hard for them to understand?

Jobbs

Banned
I just love how privileged men, who are catered to constantly, crawl out of the woodwork to let us know how they don't care what gender a character is. I guess if 95% of games had only female protags, I too wouldn't mind if devs threw men a bone once in a long while. ffs why is this so hard for them to understand?

In all likelihood I will never make a game with a male protagonist, especially a white male adult. Nothing wrong with them per se, but an entire generation and then some of nothing but growling gravelly voiced tough guy leads has soured me on the whole idea.

shiba5

In all likelihood I will never make a game with a male protagonist, especially a white male adult. Nothing wrong with them per se, but an entire generation and then some of nothing but growling gravelly voiced tough guy leads has soured me on the whole idea.

Yeah, it's the sheer over abundance of them. I don't mind playing as a dude (otherwise I'd have almost nothing to play), but they are almost always boring as hell.

One thing that I hope never happens is that women never ever become the standard protagonist in the majority of games, it may seem like a great concept at first but when you look at the overwhelming amount of male main characters a huge chunk of them are generic as fuck with only a few stand-outs scattered about here and there. Whenever something becomes the standard, or the majority, mediocrity and over-flooding ensues. If having less female characters than male means that we have more of a chance of getting great characters like Bayonetta, Alyx Vance, and Jade (BG&E) then I'm fine with male characters being the majority.

Jobbs

Banned
One thing that I hope never happens is that women never ever become the standard protagonist in the majority of games, it may seem like a great concept at first but when you look at the overwhelming amount of male main characters a huge chunk of them are generic as fuck with only a few stand-outs scattered about here and there. Whenever something becomes the standard, or the majority, mediocrity and over-flooding ensues. If having less female characters than male means that we have more of a chance of getting great characters like Bayonetta, Alyx Vance, and Jade (BG&E) then I'm fine with male characters being the majority.

I think this [boring male protagonists] has more to do with the writers and designers of games being creatively bankrupt and/or beholden to focus testing and mandates from publishers.

Things are changing slowly. Horizon looks amazing and I absolutely adore the protagonist, Aloy.

shiba5

I think that already happens to some extent with the "tough lady". Like, I don't really like the new Lara Croft because she could just be gender swapped and it wouldn't change the game at all. (It probably doesn't help that I hate her voice actress.)

Yeah I don't get it. I like playing a variety of characters. Middle aged man being the protag of every game is exhausting.

That said I'm kind of a hypocrite because my game features a middle aged man in a Western. But it's a really personal story that I'm using to help me cope, and the guy isn't exactly Clint Eastwood.

more variety is good, with protagonists

but what i dont want is just plastering more waifus as protagonists in an attempt at 'diversity' cuz that thing sux

female body objectification is already so proliferated and everywhere and makes me bleh

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As someone who feels pretty strongly about this stuff about female protagonists...

...My favourite pre-defined game protagonist is a man, a 30-year-old white male. Because of course he's brilliantly written and, despite his age and race, isn't generic in any way.

But yeah, that won't stop me from wanting more badass female protags who aren't absurd sex symbols. Basically I'd just love, for once, female protags who are as cool and interesting as Kain. Why can't I have that? :(

Misha

Banned
more variety is good, with protagonists

but what i dont want is just plastering more waifus as protagonists in an attempt at 'diversity' cuz that thing sux

female body objectification is already so proliferated and everywhere and makes me bleh

That's my issue with overwatch. I really like all the characters and enjoy the game a lot but theres an issue with the way they do guys vs girls. Guys get different ages, don't have to look good, and don't all wear pants that show off the butt. They still do better than most other games tho

I also hate playing as a guy character! In fact, if I can't be a girl character, most of the time I don't play at all.

My friends all made fun of me for this in Overwatch, saying they didn't care what gender the character was as long as its good. Someone was like "yeah could be an alien but I'll play whatever is needed."

I get what they're saying, but I don't care? Is it really that weird that I strongly identify with my sex? Dunno, I feel like if videogames were 80% female toons, they wouldn't be saying the same thing.

I definitely feel better about playing girl characters. Helps with role playing and I think the comfort makes them easier for me to pick up and play in games with classes (lilith and gaige in the borderlands games, atomic wonder woman in infinite crisis, d.va pharah and mei in overwatch)
Though lucio is now my most played in overwatch but that's more the exception :p

overwatch is weird

2waifu4me

i have never feel the attraction of playing my gender when they are basically designed as waifus. i rather play a robot or gorilla or some other avatar than playing a malegazey perfect and skinny and pretty female avatars

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
overwatch is weird

2waifu4me

i have never feel the attraction of playing my gender when they are basically designed as waifus. i rather play a robot or gorilla or some other avatar than playing a malegazey perfect and skinny and pretty female avatars
No, no, you see, women love to feel sexy and play sexy ladies in MMOs. My totally not made up wife/girlfriend/SO from Canada plays hot chicks in sexy armour all the time. You're just a prude or something.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'm actually on the opposite side of you, YNNNY. I do prefer playing the prettiest characters as long as they have pleasant or femme fatale personalities. I guess I like it when women manipulate men (should my fiance be worried?)

That's why all my characters in WoW are female blood elves. When I can customize characters in MMORPGS, I usually make the "most attractive" (to me) character. So, not necessarily like the biggest rack possible, etc, but rather just a shape and face I find very comely.

dunno

I might be the minority? I never have never asked any other chicks what they would prefer.

I will say that Overwatch's Widowmaker has the WORST walk ever. It's just so exaggerated to be sexy, to the point it makes me gag. Obvious fan service is not my thing.
Bunny when are we all gonna play Don't Starv Together? Lol I'm so gonna die in like day 1 though haha

Leeness

When it comes to characters in games, I won't avoid a game either way and will play the guy characters and generally really like the guy characters, but I like being able to play good women characters.

However, I guess I'm also someone who most of the time doesn't mind playing sexy girls either, as long as they aren't ridiculous (that said, a lot of women characters can get ridiculous), and I like to look at pretty women (again, without ridiculous) and get jelly of how pretty they are :(

When I did play WoW, I usually did have a pretty elf or human woman, and dressed them as nicely as I could lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I often make pretty characters too! But I make them badass first, and don't dress them up in lingerie when they go into battle.

In Dark Souls 3 I made an older woman, a pagan-looking witch, for my sorcery build. She's cool.

Misha

Banned
overwatch is weird

2waifu4me

Well mei isn't skinny and shouldn't be malegazey. She is perfect tho :p

I try to pretend that the fandom for the game doesn't exist. The one time I saw something it was people arguing that mei actually wasn't heavier than the average female game character and it was just her parka that made her look thicker. (which isn't even fat anyway. I should know -_-)

Ignoring the fandom and creators' intentions help me enjoy persona also.
But this applies only to characters that fit more into "waifu" types and not so much sexualized ones. Those often make me feel uncomfortable to use

Leeness

I often make pretty characters too! But I make them badass first, and don't dress them up in lingerie when they go into battle.

In Dark Souls 3 I made an older woman, a pagan-looking witch, for my sorcery build. She's cool.

Yes I will concede that point: I avoid the lingerie-wear (provided it's not the best armour in the game lmao. Which...sometimes...) whenever possible.

shiba5

No, no, you see, women love to feel sexy and play sexy ladies in MMOs. My totally not made up wife/girlfriend/SO from Canada plays hot chicks in sexy armour all the time. You're just a prude or something.

I always played Tauren druids in WoW. /not a sexy moo cow

Oh, and true story... My very first character was a Night Elf and when I was level 55 I got my first set of epic pants. I was super excited because they looked badass in the tooltip - like black scale armor. And then I put them on. They became, I shit you not, panties and thigh highs. I immediately deleted my almost max level character, that took ages to level back then, and re-rolled Horde. I figured there was no way the devs would make bikini armor for a Tauren and I was right.

ETA: I actually got that same pair of epic pants later on a Blood Elf alt and the devs had changed them into a regular pair of actual pants.

shiba5

I will say that Overwatch's Widowmaker has the WORST walk ever. It's just so exaggerated to be sexy, to the point it makes me gag. Obvious fan service is not my thing.

Tracer's butt is a bit disturbing - especially when she's running away from you. Imagine having a wedgie like that all the time.

i guess like i said, i rather play robot or gorilla or an intelligent shade of blue... they are not 'ugly' per se. just not 'pretty'

weirdly they are mostly dudes cuz????????

REASONS

i think women wanting to play pretty women characters are okay

IM JUST SAYING THERE IS NO PLACE CATERING FOR THE OTHER WOMEN (LIKE ME) WHO DOESNT WANNA PLAY THOSE TYPES.

and that makes me sad

.... but oh well, i'll just draw what i like instead :>

Top Bottom