• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Jobbs

Banned
I have an increasingly hard time playing games with male protagonists. I outright dropped Lords of the Fallen once seeing I had to be bald growling white muscle guy with face tattoos. Been trying to get into Witcher 3 for months but I can't stand the insufferable gravelly voiced brooding snooze Geralt. Yes, yes, your voice is very gravelly. I get it.

.... but oh well, i'll just draw what i like instead :>

Show me that drawing :D

Misha

Banned
i guess like i said, i rather play robot or gorilla or an intelligent shade of blue... they are not 'ugly' per se. just not 'pretty'

weirdly they are mostly dudes cuz????????

REASONS

i think women wanting to play pretty women characters are okay

IM JUST SAYING THERE IS NO PLACE CATERING FOR THE OTHER WOMEN (LIKE ME) WHO DOESNT WANNA PLAY THOSE TYPES.

and that makes me sad

.... but oh well, i'll just draw what i like instead :>

you'd think doing robots would be okay but then when you think about it, all the attempts at women robots are very questionable.... (besides glados but she's a villain)

not sure i'd want to see a female gorilla until the overall design mindset changes :|

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
You're not alone Bunny. I love playing with attractive female characters. Whenever I get a game I go after the most Disney or Sailor Moon girl available.

I love sexy costumes too. Just... Tastefully so? Like if my characters gonna be sexy I want everyone to because it's like the ultimate party or something haha Like I don't mind characters wearing exaggerated sexy outfits. In fact I love it.

I'm of the minority opinion that characters male or female who wear sexy clothes are cool because they can actually get away with it in their world where we couldn't in ours. I just wish a lot of the time this wasn't done for pandering. :/

I have an increasingly hard time playing games with male protagonists. I outright dropped Lords of the Fallen once seeing I had to be bald growling white muscle guy with face tattoos. Been trying to get into Witcher 3 for months but I can't stand the insufferable gravelly voiced brooding snooze Geralt. Yes, yes, your voice is very gravelly. I get it.

Show me that drawing :D

cannot draw atm, too tense watching basketball

but here is my new doggie. she's a girl doggie and she's pretty handsome :>

8MJcyqj.jpg

you'd think doing robots would be okay but then when you think about it, all the attempts at women robots are very questionable.... (besides glados but she's a villain)

not sure i'd want to see a female gorilla until the overall design mindset changes :|

female robots and female gorilla are more FEMALE than robots or gorilla

it is as if it is super important to make female--creature-thingy PRETTY cuz FEMALES i guess

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Warriors lost ; __ ;

iirate

I don't really have a problem playing guys(I love Shadow of the Colossus and the Arkham games), but I'd almost always rather play a female character.

I often make pretty characters too! But I make them badass first, and don't dress them up in lingerie when they go into battle.

In Dark Souls 3 I made an older woman, a pagan-looking witch, for my sorcery build. She's cool.

This is where I am, too. I like making pretty characters, but I prioritize badassery.

I always played Tauren druids in WoW. /not a sexy moo cow

Oh, and true story... My very first character was a Night Elf and when I was level 55 I got my first set of epic pants. I was super excited because they looked badass in the tooltip - like black scale armor. And then I put them on. They became, I shit you not, panties and thigh highs. I immediately deleted my almost max level character, that took ages to level back then, and re-rolled Horde. I figured there was no way the devs would make bikini armor for a Tauren and I was right.

ETA: I actually got that same pair of epic pants later on a Blood Elf alt and the devs had changed them into a regular pair of actual pants.

I love the tauren, and WoW has been at the center of my gaming life for nine years now. I have a thing for the gentle giant archetype, I only play healers(and they are the only race that can be all 5 healing classes) and they're the only(horde) race in WoW with some real weight behind them(at least as much as WoW allows). On my main server, I have five tauren sisters(one for each healing class) that are all badasses in their own ways:

I have plenty of other characters(and more blood/night elves than any other non-tauren race), but making an attractive character is not usually a priority for me. Also, my best friend does like making/playing sexy characters, so I can just dress them up when that's what I want. XD

Also, I had a similar armor experience the first time I played an MMO, except it was with low-level armor in FFXI. At least in that game, both men and women were objectified equally with the ridiculous stuff they'd put you in.

Kinsei

Banned
I played as a badass older woman during my first playthrough of Bloodborne. She was so awesome that she took down most of the chalice dungeons in a dress that offered like 2 defense. It looked so good on her that I didn't want to wear anything else haha.

That's my issue with overwatch. I really like all the characters and enjoy the game a lot but theres an issue with the way they do guys vs girls. Guys get different ages, don't have to look good, and don't all wear pants that show off the butt. They still do better than most other games tho

I don't think any of the guys in Overwatch are ugly. They don't meet the standard of male beauty, but they're all attractive in their own way.

I agree with you 100% on the women though. I really hope they add more diversity in looks throughout the games lifetime. Sombra would be a good start!

We could have had this :(((((

EkRI1J4.jpg

It's a shame she was pretty much treated as a joke in Hyrule Warriors.

Misha

Banned
I don't think any of the guys in Overwatch are ugly. They don't meet the standard of male beauty, but they're all attractive in their own way.

I agree with you 100% on the women though. I really hope they add more diversity in looks throughout the games lifetime. Sombra would be a good start!

that's why I didn't specifically say ugly :p

roadhog and junkrat are dfinitely unusual and half of the other guys don't even have a visble face

that's why I didn't specifically say ugly :p

roadhog and junkrat are dfinitely unusual and half of the other guys don't even have a visble face

yah i noticed that too

BUT NO

women must show prettyness / face / butts

OH WELL

guys, hey guys

female t-rex > male t-rex

FACT

Swamped

Banned
I would love to play more as a female character. And i don't really care if they're not even that fleshed out. Look at the protagonist from SMT IV. I absolutely adored that game's stark story, gameplay and atmosphere. But really it would have made no difference whatsoever if the protagonist had been a girl. In fact i just pretended he was and it didn't break immersion at all lol (I used to do the same thing with my handheld LoZ games lol).

So i guess what annoys me is when the gender of the player character doesn't matter and there still isn't a choice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
We could have had this :(((((

EkRI1J4.jpg
I don't want this.

I want this instead (well, with better armour please):

Hyrule-Zelda.jpg

Or this:

Give me a playable, cool Zelda over a female Link any day. I wouldn't really mind a female Link I guess but why do that to an established character when you got a perfectly suitable female character after which the bloody games are named?

Give Zelda her own goddamn game already. "Oh but what will Link do in the meantime?" I DON'T KNOW, FIGURE IT OUT YOU DUNCE

Sort of in the spirit of Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes?
Angel Eyes is great! But...
Nah, my guy isn't "bad" like Van Cleef is.

He's a guy struggling with his masculinity, not a guy comfortable with it. I'm trying to look at what a man is when you take away the things that make him a "man" and hopefully looking to redefine it with a positive outcome on its own terms. So it deals with a lot of tropes, but I'm hoping people will stick with it to see that I'm deconstructing them and using them as a means of addressing the issue. There are a lot of characters that have their own issues, both men and women, and hopefully I'll be able to round them all out enough to where they seem "real" even if they're not all the most likable people at first glance.

Misha

Banned
Give me a playable, cool Zelda over a female Link any day. I wouldn't really mind a female Link I guess but why do that to an established character when you got a perfectly suitable female character after which the bloody games are named?

Give Zelda her own goddamn game already. "Oh but what will Link do in the meantime?" I DON'T KNOW, FIGURE IT OUT YOU DUNCE

Link is rarely an established character. I think majora's mask is the only time on console. No reason [a] link has to be a guy.

But playing as [a] Zelda could definitely be more cool. They could even still do the person who isn't actually initially involved with the plot thing by making it like windwaker.

The kingdom is in disarray and Captain Link of the Hyrule guards has been trapped while helping the townspeople escape the siege. Only once a princess retakes the throne can the kingdom be saved from Ganon's evil reign
Similar but a different angle

I don't know if anybody else played it but I really enjoyed playing with both Link and Zelda in Spirit Tracks. It would be cool to have more of that instead of just in final battles.

You know what would be a crazy twist though, is you play as regular ol' Link, doing your thing, and then at the halfway point, boom, you get defeated/captured.

Suddenly, Zelda senses it with her telepathy stuff. Now you have to play as Zelda to pick up the pieces, save Link and the kingdom.

Oh, and no Sheik.

suzu

I play whatever. Although I still really really like and want to see more diversity.. in both female and male characters.

In MMOs I switch between races and genders, depending on the look of the loot I get or when I'm bored of seeing my character(s). lol

Hanzo is my favorite in Overwatch (avatar hah), but I mostly play Lucio, Junkrat, Torbjorn, and Pharah because of the play style.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pharah's pretty good! I've been switching to her a lot when there is not too many damage dealing people on our team and I can clear enemies off a payload with her pretty good with some surprise tactics. So far I've only get shot down once during my ult so I feel good about that. :)

"Justice reigns from above!"

I do wish there was a more cool taunt lines for her though.

btw: at no point in my thought that........... not 'pretty' = ugly

it was weird that it was framed that way in the continuing discussion, in fact. in my head, not pretty = having some other characteristics that are not hinged on image-oriented design platform

TODAY I LEARNED things, i guess

.____.

i am with swamped and morri. i think pretty girl avatars/ characters are a dime in a dozen. would be nice to see appreciations for other types of women that are kickass and full with volumes of identity and personality. after all if the guys can have a myriad and wide range of characteristics covered in their spectrum, why cant the girls?

just as an example, i love that Eva Unit 01 is shinji's mom in Evangelion. and she doesnt need to look feminine to be the most badass character in the series. that's all im saying, y'all. it can be done. character design shouldnt be so restrictive based on gender. after all even in real there are women-identifying people who are coming under persecutions because they are not ~feminine~ enough. at some subconscious level, how the feminine gender has to be identified by hyperfeminine markers (such as prettiness) perpetuates certain boundaries in which some people are never going to be accepted as 'women enough' by society.

ok. im done ranting. time to draw :> sry for words .___.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You're absolutely right. It's why I made that older woman witch, and in Bloodborne I also made an older, brown-skinned grizzled type of strong-woman warrior.

You lost me at Evangelion though. xD Fuck that show!

You're absolutely right. It's why I made that older woman witch, and in Bloodborne I also made an older, brown-skinned grizzled type of strong-woman warrior.

MORRRRRRRRRIIIIIIII COME BACK

DONT SAY I LOST YOU

my heaaaaaarrttt

it breks at these words

</3

BREKS

Nudull

Banned

I made a muscular older woman with badass red-tinted glasses for Bloodborne. Go figure. XD

I don't want this.

I want this instead (well, with better armour please):

Hyrule-Zelda.jpg

Or this:

Totally agree. I wasn't on the linkle train. I want Zelda to get her own game and showcase her being the badass she is.

Mistel

Banned
Angel Eyes is great! But...
Nah, my guy isn't "bad" like Van Cleef is.

He's a guy struggling with his masculinity, not a guy comfortable with it. I'm trying to look at what a man is when you take away the things that make him a "man" and hopefully looking to redefine it with a positive outcome on its own terms. So it deals with a lot of tropes, but I'm hoping people will stick with it to see that I'm deconstructing them and using them as a means of addressing the issue. There are a lot of characters that have their own issues, both men and women, and hopefully I'll be able to round them all out enough to where they seem "real" even if they're not all the most likable people at first glance.
Sounds interesting for a western especially since it does go against the grain quite well, I cant think of a western like it.

Jobbs

Banned
But then what would Link doooooooooo???

>.<

I was pretty sore (and lost a $10 bet! =((( ) over there being no female playable character in the game.

His dumbass explanation made it worse. He should have just said "because I wanted to do a boy" and been done with it.

I like Linkle's design because she looks strong but still feminine in a natural and unsexualized way. Not that there's anything wrong with being sexy (I actually like Bayonetta in spite of it being super over the top). That being said, she's also not an amazon woman like Impa or Samus (6'3" and 198 pounds!). I don't think female characters need to be sword-swinging barbarian women or lightning throwing goddesses in order to be good, strong female characters.

Linkle's young and cute but she also strikes me as a nimble adventure-havin' type of gal. These are traits shared by Link in almost all the Zelda games. The LoZ series captured my imagination when I was about 11 years old (w/ Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time) even with a male protagonist. I think a large part of that has to do with being around the same age as the character even though he's a boy.

But think about it - if there's one demographic more under represented in video games than women it's girls. Girls around the age Zelda games (and Nintendo games in general) are targeted towards. If a game has them at all they're usually barely even sidekick material - usually bratty sisters or bratty neighbors or bratty something or others (Dragon Quest 7 comes to mind). The main point here I guess is that they're more or less designed to be sort of a nuisance. They're constantly getting kidnapped, tattling, or being annoying. One dimensional at best, downright insulting at worst. Basically, the stereotypical way older brothers see little sisters.

A normal hero girl for girls to be able to play as isn't too much to ask.

For those of you wanting a playable Zelda, I think there's a fair compromise to be had.

L8aUMeY.jpg

Playable Tetra. GOAT Zelda character.

Nudull

Banned
I've always preferred Tetra since she has more of a personality. Also she is a pirate leader.

Always wanted a Tetra spin-off. :(

It would be a pretty cray cray shift in Zelda gameplay and style, but some sort of co-op Link/Zelda could be really interesting. Sort of like Mario & Luigi, Portal 2, and to a lesser degree Resident Evil 5.

It's not even that crazy since they've already gone down this road somewhat with Four Swords. This gives everyone what they want and opens some neat doors as far as puzzle solving and adventuring is concerned. Tag team battles (you know... like playable versions of what already exists in the Zelda universe w/ Zelda+Link vs. Ganon in WW and OoT). One of you holds the monster by the tail while the other attacks and that sort of thing.

People get to play with the character they most identify with. They're partners, not hero and sidekick. It reinforces a positive and equal relationship between a boy and a girl that doesn't need romantic overtones because they're two swashbuckling kids out on an adventure.

Now you're just making me want a goofy Mario & Luigi-style RPG with Link and Zelda being platonic adventure-buddies. ;_;

It would be a pretty cray cray shift in Zelda gameplay and style, but some sort of co-op Link/Zelda could be really interesting. Sort of like Mario & Luigi, Portal 2, and to a lesser degree Resident Evil 5.

It's not even that crazy since they've already gone down this road somewhat with Four Swords. This gives everyone what they want and opens some neat doors as far as puzzle solving and adventuring is concerned. Tag team battles (you know... like playable versions of what already exists in the Zelda universe w/ Zelda+Link vs. Ganon in WW and OoT). One of you holds the monster by the tail while the other attacks and that sort of thing.

People get to play with the character they most identify with. They're partners, not hero and sidekick. It reinforces a positive and equal relationship between a boy and a girl that doesn't need romantic overtones because they're two swashbuckling kids out on an adventure.

Top Bottom