• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kisaya

What is this almighty TRENTA? :O

P0SMy.jpg

@____@

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just got one of those "Free Drink" postcards from the Starbucks rewards and I'm totally using it to buy a venti of it <3333

Too bad they don't have dat trenta beast over here :'(

Someone who I regularly see at studies has a shitload of those in his car since his friend sends mind a bunch every once in a while. o: If I liked coffee I'd ask for one.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
All I drink is water, milk, and fruit juice

I might be confusing things, but doesn't Starbucks also offer smoothies or something?

Anyhoo, the only things I really get there are iced tea lemonades, mocha fraps, or hot chai tea lattes.

Emitan

Hahaha no. If you want coffee you go to Petes or a non-chain. Starbucks is basically only good for coffee flavored mixed drinks.

Then I will continue to not go there because I don't like coffee or coffee flavored things and drinks are the easiest unhealthy things to avoid for me.

The problem with The Twin Snakes isn't that it is over-the-top, it's that it is in a way that is inconsistent with the rest of the series. Then there are the gameplay issues.

Hahaha no. If you want coffee you go to Petes or a non-chain. Starbucks is basically only good for coffee flavored mixed drinks.
Their iced tea lemonade is also pretty good too, IMO. I get the passionfruit stuff all the time.

It IS appropriate. People for some reason think MGS DOESN'T have a completely over-the-top wackadoo story.
From what little of Twin Snakes I've played, I didn't care for it (they ruined Ocelot's epic monologue intro! ;_;) but the whole MGS mythos is just bananas, so I guess the bullet-time, kicking falling ceiling parts are kind of appropriate.

Platy

Smash Bros Brawl is the best game with Snake =P

I kid .. I kid ...
it totaly is the skate minigame in subsistance if you count that as a separate game xD

Kazerei

Banned
Gameplay issues?

*is turning this into a LTTP MGS thread and is sorry*

This is how I see it. Twin Snakes' controls are more modern and intuitive, which makes the game much easier. So you have to pick between:

1) A game that is easy and fun to play
2) A game where the difficulty is partly derived from grappling with shitty controls

But the argument against Twin Snakes is actually kind of a wash, because you can simply ignore the new controls if you want the added challenge.

Sorry to hear you're playing the inferior version of MGS.

This is how I see it. Twin Snakes' controls are more modern and intuitive, which makes the game much easier. So you have to pick between:

2) A game where the difficulty is partly derived from grappling with shitty controls

But the argument against Twin Snakes is actually kind of a wash, because you can simply ignore the new controls if you want the added challenge.

i2k5CEfOA61yx.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The only Metal Gear Solid game still worth playing is 3. The rest are disposable.

Then again, I really don't play video games anymore, so my opinion on this subject might not be particularly worthwhile.

Metal Gear Solid 1&2 > 3 though.

I still prefer MGS combination of puzzle and stealth gameplay in the first two games then what the series gradually evolved into with MGS3 and onwards.

Even with the cutscene-gameplay ratio being kind of wonky in the second game. The VR missions, higher difficulties, dog tag collecting, snake tales all make up for that.

Opiate

I have no idea how people can tolerate the story in MGS. It even appears that many here are admitting the story is absurd and stupid, and yet enjoy it anyway. I guess I just don't have an appreciation for those sorts of things.

I thought the argument against Twin Snakes was the over the top, ridiculous cut scenes, compared to the more understated original.

Kazerei

Banned
I thought the argument against Twin Snakes was the over the top, ridiculous cut scenes, compared to the more understated original.

I'd say the ridiculous cutscenes are an argument in favour of Twin Snakes. That's how Kojima envisioned it. Makes the game more consistent with the rest of the series :p

I have no idea how people can tolerate the story in MGS. It even appears that many here are admitting the story is absurd and stupid, and yet enjoy it anyway. I guess I just don't have an appreciation for those sorts of things.

To me, a game can have an absolutely terrible story but a fun everything else and I'll still play it (see: God of War series, most fighting games, etc). The reverse can also be true. As long as there's something to hook onto, I can tolerate nearly anything.

The story in MGS is completely convoluted, and has changed in almost every game since the first. But the action and stealth stuff is pretty top-notch most of the time, so I can forgive the rest. Twin Snakes being over-the-top in its cutscenes doesn't really hurt the game or the plot since the series is so ridiculous in the first place.

Stealth Edit: What Kaz said as well. :p

General question here for those with significant others: how much is too much when it comes to saying "I love you?" I just had it said to me (the feeling is more than mutual btw), and it kinda made me think.

General question here for those with significant others: how much is too much when it comes to saying "I love you?" I just had it said to me (the feeling is more than mutual btw), and it kinda made me think.

I've heard people complain when others say it too much as if it diminishes the words. Personally I think that's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. I think hearing it a lot is better than never but it's all relative.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
They're kind of fun if you play on higher difficulties with the radar off (because otherwise, the series is little more than swanky upgraded Pac-Man) but the depth and variety of the gameplay in 3 has far more lasting value to me than the simplistic stuff in the first few games. It reminds me more of something like a Deus Ex or System Shock game in the amount of choice and level of reward for exploration of mechanics given to a player in a still-linear game. 4 looked like it was going even further in this direction for about, say, the first two levels, and then...things happened. An unfortunate disappointment, that.
The simplistic design of the first two games has a more distinctive "japanese" arcade-ish feel that appeals to me more. It kind of follows the "easy to play but hard to master" game design mantra that I really enjoy about a lot of those games. I find high-level play in MGS1/2 far more entertaining to master as a result, especially memorizing enemy patterns, quick weapon swapping, speed runs etc.

I'm also in the minority here but I wasn't a big fan of how the stamina and camouflage systems were implemented in the game, mainly due to how they affected the pacing. (disliked pressing start to change my camo all the time) CQC was a awesome addition to the series though! it's hard to get used to playing any MGS game without it, till you make the readjustment.

Another problem I had with MGS3 was the amount of items they added to the game. I always loved the feel of finding a new item or weapon in MGS1/2, MGS3 and onwards kind of killed that feel with the amount of weapons and items they added to the games.:p

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that MGS3 probably has the best run of bosses in the series. MGS2 probably has my favourite MGS boss fight (metal gear rays on extreme difficulty and onwards) and MGS1 has the best boss story-lines (no-one argues about this one though).

Emitan

The simplistic design of the first two games has a more distinctive "japanese" arcade-ish feel that appeals to me more. It kind of follows the "easy to play but hard to master" game design mantra that I really enjoy about a lot of those games. I find high-level play in MGS1/2 far more entertaining to master as a result, especially memorizing enemy patterns, quick weapon swapping, speed runs etc.

I'm also in the minority here but I wasn't a big fan of how the stamina and camouflage systems were implemented in the game, mainly due to how they affected the pacing. (disliked pressing start to change my camo all the time) CQC was a awesome addition to the series though! it's hard to get used to playing any MGS game without it, till you make the readjustment.

Another problem I had with MGS3 was the amount of items they added to the game. I always loved the feel of finding a new item or weapon in MGS1/2, MGS3 and onwards kind of killed that feel with the amount of weapons and items they added to the games.:p

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that MGS3 probably has the best run of bosses in the series. MGS2 probably has my favourite MGS boss fight (metal gear rays on extreme difficulty and onwards) and MGS1 has the best boss story-lines (no-one argues about this one though).
These are things I'm loving. The newer games didn't retain these? Bummer.

yuna55

I've heard people complain when others say it too much as if it diminishes the words. Personally I think that's the stupidest shit I've ever heard. I think hearing it a lot is better than never but it's all relative.

This right here. The only time it diminishes is when you just don't love that person any longer.

Top Bottom