• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

My mom wants to put me on that show too. Haha. Too bad they would fail. Nothing looks good on me, sorry tv show.
Cleavages.

Given that you can rock that, why do you think you can't with anything else?

Me too. Its cute! I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear it in the city - its pretty bold (I wore a lotita dress once and some people came and asked me why I was 'dressed like a pokemon', if that gives you an indication of folks here), but perhaps if I visited one of the more classier cities :p

Speaking of clothes, I bought this super cute dress, and wore it out for the first time last night. First time I've gone out bra-less, actually (that was a bit daunting :p).

I don't think I really have a 'style'. My wardrobe ranges from jeans and shirts, to pretty floral dresses and skirts I bought in Japan, to more punky stuff. Has anyone else bought a gaf shirt? I love mine. I really wish they had the "this is neogaf dude" one in womens..
Look at you, Shan. I almost shed a tear.

I'm lacking on the nerd shirt department (besides some Simpson shirts), but I think a GAF one would be going too far.

Look at you, Shan. I almost shed a tear.

I'm lacking on the nerd shirt department (besides some Simpson shirts), but I think a GAF one would be going too far.
Lol. After a pint of cider I decided I didn't care if people could see my nipples.

My gaf shirt is fairly subtle. You wouldn't realise it was nerdy unless you knew about the site. I'll see if I can upload a picture later.

Salazar

Has anyone else bought a gaf shirt? I love mine. I really wish they had the "this is neogaf dude" one in womens..

Yup yup.

Not game to wear it to uni.

My friend staged a fashion intervention for me a couple of weeks ago, because I had/have the same problem. I ended up with two cardigans, a dress, a sequined shirt, and two pairs of skinny jeans.

I have a blazer-acquiring problem. I just collect jackets. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Lol. After a pint of cider I decided I didn't care if people could see my nipples.

My gaf shirt is fairly subtle. You wouldn't realise it was nerdy unless you knew about the site. I'll see if I can upload a picture later.

You know in some time you'll be the one telling scandalous stories.

And I can imagine it. A bishface with BANNED lol xdddd

What's everyone's opinion on Anthropologie? Their styles are interesting but the quality is so cheap and the fit is for people with big butts and no thighs.

What's everyone's opinion on Anthropologie? Their styles are interesting but the quality is so cheap and the fit is for people with big butts and no thighs.

I went in there, saw the prices and walked back out. For that kind of clothing to be that expensive, took all my energy not to laugh in their face as I left.

Kisaya

I really like Anthropologie's style but I can't afford any of that yet lmao. It kinda concerns me that you say their quality is cheap when their prices are so high :l

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me

some of their stuff is pretty nice-looking, but i feel like there are a lot of much cheaper alternative places that have very similar stuff (at least in europe?). i don't own any of their clothes but if their quality is really so shoddy it seems like you'd be better off just going to H&M and buying stuff that looks similar.

then again, i don't typically spend a lot on clothes anyhow, especially basics (and i find that you don't have to, even if you shop at cheaper places, as long as you know your fabrics). i'm lucky if i get three months out of a t-shirt anyway, especially those i wear around the house, because of my cats. the things i tend to splurge on are coats and shoes because i see them as an investment that should last me several years.

suzu

Ruffly or frilly skirts aren't my thing, but if you can rock it; go for it!

I love when the weather gets cooler, because I can start layering and wearing sweet blazers and jackets.

Haha. You're funny, girl. :p

tumblr_m3s91lV68i1ru67x8o1_250.gif

PS: This youtube channel is awesome.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I like you
*salutes* :D
Me too. Its cute! I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear it in the city - its pretty bold (I wore a lotita dress once and some people came and asked me why I was 'dressed like a pokemon', if that gives you an indication of folks here), but perhaps if I visited one of the more classier cities :p
Oh, was it a sweet lolita or gothic lolita outfit? o:

She certainly knows her audience, though.

Well she certainly does have... audiences.

Emitan

You know, stargazing is probably the thing I miss most about my hometown. Here in California, you can't see the stars unless you're in the middle of nowhere...it's a little eerie to me, coming from a city where you could look up and see the sky blanketed in stars every night sans telescope.

I'm sorry, that's such a random thing to post in here. I guess I'm just in a wistful mood.

I can't really see the stars here. Was never really a stargazer but I've always been fascinated by space.

You know, stargazing is probably the thing I miss most about my hometown. Here in California, you can't see the stars unless you're in the middle of nowhere...it's a little eerie to me, coming from a city where you could look up and see the sky blanketed in stars every night sans telescope.

I'm sorry, that's such a random thing to post in here. I guess I'm just in a wistful mood.

What? Where are you in Cali?

fireside

Once, when driving across the country in the middle of the night, I decided to stop the car and look up at the sky. It was so beautiful and amazing. Made me a little sad that I’ve only ever lived around large cities, and rarely get to experience it.

leadbelly

Banned

I would love to be able to see the stars without all the light pollution. There is nowhere near me where that is possible. I'd like to be able to see the milky way. :(

It blows my mind when I start thinking about it.

milkyway.jpg

That is basically the centre of the galaxy. The whole solar system is revolving around that thing. So when you're looking at that at night you're basically seeing your location within the galaxy.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I couldn't imagine living somewhere I can't see the stars at night. Country living ftw. One night we went out with my telescope and found Saturn. That was so cool. You guys are missing out

There were a few times in Sacramento where I looked up and saw the stars. Gotta say, it was pretty cool. Couldn't see them at all near the bay area.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There were a few times in Sacramento where I looked up and saw the stars. Gotta say, it was pretty cool. Couldn't see them at all near the bay area.

Best bet in the Bay Area I've found personally is top of Mt Tam, especially if you look in the ocean's direction since there's much less lights that way.

M61Y2.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
Best bet in the Bay Area I've found personally is top of Mt Tam, especially if you look in the ocean's direction since there's much less lights that way.

M61Y2.jpg

Looking at that picture, it kind of gives me this feeling that you're in a bubble in space. If that makes sense. Seeing the galaxy like that gives you a sense of actually being in a vast universe.

Kisaya

I remember the first time I saw a sky full of stars was when I was visiting people in Michigan. It's really rare for me to see stars here in NYC, but I always appreciate it whenever I do :p

dokish

Banned
Hi Girl GAF. This is my first post here. Are boys allowed to post?

I need some serious advice. I started dating women really late. I'm 22. I'm usually shy, quiet, few-words-guy (I wouldn't say monosyllabic) and have hobbies that are quite hard to young people enjoy these days, like: 80s music, asian culture, foreigner movies and movies overall [I watch them almost daily], opera and jazz. I'm majoring in Psychology so I also enjoy smart women, women that can debate about religion, sex, capitalism, culture, the (evil) beauty industry, etc.

I don't show affection in public but in private I really like to please and interact with women. Funny enough, in my college, the most people that seem to enjoy talking to me are woman.

And that's the problem. I'm a really straight-forward guy that has no patience for games, bullshit, or what I call "the social theater of seduction". When I like a girl, I usually get to know her for a month and then I make my move. But then they say they aren't interested and is only interested in being friends.

That's the part that irritates me and confuses me. Since I don't have good "tact" with people, I don't know if they are interested or not. Women talk to me, smiles, touches a lot, laugh a lot, makes compliments, but then... they are not interested. Maybe this confuses me because that's something I would never do if I don't have interest in someone. Even a male friend (like, friendship). If I don't wanna know someone, I don't care much about this person. I'm not saying I'm cold, I'm just saying I won't have long conversations and "stick" with that person during my day.

SO, my question is... are women usually like this? All chatty, flirt, touching you everywhere, telling you their problems nonstop, seeking advice and comfort even they are not interested in you? I think I'm too old-fashion lol, because I only do this things with long-time and intimate friends. I don't open myself to people that I only see in college or at work.

Also, if they are this ambiguous, how can I know if she's interested?

Leeness

Ew no. Some weirdo from okcupid apparently kept my number because he texted me to wish me a "happy labour day".

:(((( This is why I'm just giving up on dating all together (not that there was any activity on that end anyway. Giving up on nothing lol). Only the creepers are actually interested in me :((((

Zoe

I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are some people who just text-bomb everybody in their contact list on holidays.

Sheik

I need some serious advice. I started dating women really late. I'm 22. I'm usually shy, quiet, few-words-guy (I wouldn't say monosyllabic) and have hobbies that are quite hard to young people enjoy these days, like: 80s music, asian culture, foreigner movies and movies overall [I watch them almost daily], opera and jazz. I'm majoring in Psychology so I also enjoy smart women, women that can debate about religion, sex, capitalism, culture, the (evil) beauty industry, etc.

I don't show affection in public but in private I really like to please and interact with women. Funny enough, in my college, the most people that seem to enjoy talking to me are woman.

And that's the problem. I'm a really straight-forward guy that has no patience for games, bullshit, or what I call "the social theater of seduction". When I like a girl, I usually get to know her for a month and then I make my move. But then they say they aren't interested and is only interested in being friends.

That's the part that irritates me and confuses me. Since I don't have good "tact" with people, I don't know if they are interested or not. Women talk to me, smiles, touches a lot, laugh a lot, makes compliments, but then... they are not interested. Maybe this confuses me because that's something I would never do if I don't have interest in someone. Even a male friend (like, friendship). If I don't wanna know someone, I don't care much about this person. I'm not saying I'm cold, I'm just saying I won't have long conversations and "stick" with that person during my day.

SO, my question is... are women usually like this? All chatty, flirt, touching you everywhere, telling you their problems nonstop, seeking advice and comfort even they are not interested in you? I think I'm too old-fashion lol, because I only do this things with long-time and intimate friends. I don't open myself to people that I only see in college or at work.

Depends on the person, but in general, I find that girls are pretty open and affectionate. Touches that you might interpret as intimate aren't necessarily out of the ordinary for them. Playful shoves, hugs, etc. It can be really difficult to discern when a girl is interested or just friendly.

If you really can't tell, then you mine as well be direct. Also, if you don't want to be friendzoned, you might want to make your move sooner than a month in. Maybe try making your move within a week or two rather than a month.

Ew no. Some weirdo from okcupid apparently kept my number because he texted me to wish me a "happy labour day".

:(((( This is why I'm just giving up on dating all together (not that there was any activity on that end anyway. Giving up on nothing lol). Only the creepers are actually interested in me :((((

Some people just can't take a (direct, in your face) hint.

I'll start with referring you to the advice thread, which IIRC is still open: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445417

That notwithstanding: if you like smart women who don't play games, and are into - by your own admission - out-of-the-ordinary or obscure hobbies as you are, then an academic crowd is a good place to look.

But, as others have said, you're waiting too long. Though you say you're not into the theatre of seduction, you seem quite comfortable in the theatre of platonic listening. Ya gotta break that habit.

Anthropologists have studied the behaviour of men and women for ages, and some have come up with the theory that women like to talk stuff out while men think stuff out. Some neurologists think there's some part of brain function that differs in men and women that accounts for it. Ultimately, the result is argued as follows: women will talk about their feelings to those who they think are receptive. We don't have to be in love with you to do it, we don't have to be best buddies to do it. Given the right stimuli, we talk.

And you're giving girls the stimuli - an interested, open audience.

As girls move farther into their 20s and into their 30s, some will become more...what's the word...discreet...with what they have to say to relative strangers. Others won't. But that's a fool's game trying to predict.

Girls flirt in different ways. It's like poker, we all have our tells, but sometimes you have to play a few hands to figure out who uses what.

Accordingly, the quickest and easiest way to know if she's interested is to ask for her number, and then to ask her out on a date. Don't wait to do this after she's dictated her autobiography to you - by then, there's no mystery. Do this after few - or a single - conversations. Remember: dating is about getting to know another person. Relationships - including friendships - are about bond formation.

Perhaps unwittingly, you're forming bonds before you get to know them (and vice versa). If you're not interested in leading someone on into friendship when you want a date, then be more forthright. Easier said than done, though, and there's hordes of advice out there to help with that part.

Warning: don't read if you're having a good day

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489891

There are a couple of (accused) rapists running around my city and the best the mayor's niece can muster is a half-assed apology after tweeting that women shouldn't dress like whores to avoid being raped. Once upon a time, this same mayor's niece made a case for participating in the lingerie football league because it was "empowering".

All I am left thinking is that the world needs to stop this train, 'cause I want off.

Platy

One of the most popular politicians in brazilian history has a "famous" quote where he said about the criminal ratings of the city : "C'mon ! Rape but don't kill !"

edit : ...wow that thread didn't lasted much o_O

There are a couple of (accused) rapists running around my city and the best the mayor's niece can muster is a half-assed apology after tweeting that women shouldn't dress like whores to avoid being raped. Once upon a time, this same mayor's niece made a case for participating in the lingerie football league because it was "empowering".

All I am left thinking is that the world needs to stop this train, 'cause I want off.

What the fuck. I thought it's been well established that clothing has fuck all to do with assault.

Top Bottom