• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Ezalc

I never played a MGS game, well not completely I remember borrowing Snake Eater from a friend and stopping because I didn't know what to do.

Anybody have any good resources for choosing a shampoo and/or conditioner? I'm tired of looking online and finding the usual pseudoscience bullshit.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Twin Snakes is superior to the original version in every way.

No freakin' way!!

Sorry to hear you're playing the inferior version of MGS.

The first MGS wasn't as over the top crazy as MGS2, 3 and 4, Twin Snakes made it much wackier. I think MGS1 is still the best game storywise, imo. Its out there but not totally out there, if you know what I mean, plus the voice acting is the best in it especially compared to Twin Snakes.

General question here for those with significant others: how much is too much when it comes to saying "I love you?" I just had it said to me (the feeling is more than mutual btw), and it kinda made me think.

I'm of two minds about it, I don't think saying it too much diminishes the meanings of it but I do think that sometimes you get in the habit of saying it a lot and sometimes say it absent mindedly without actually meaning to say it. I don't really mind hearing it a lot, though. the first two or so year my guy and I couldn't stop saying it to each other, we probably said it a few thousand times a day a least! :lol Now we just say it whenever we say bye or greet each other and sometimes when we're in loveydovey mood.

iirate

Anybody have any good resources for choosing a shampoo and/or conditioner? I'm tired of looking online and finding the usual pseudoscience bullshit.

I'm having similar issues but with finding vegan shampoo and conditioner that I like. Even my go-to places for cruelty-free stuff use honey in some of their hair products, which is really limiting my options.

Emitan

I watched a video review and wasn't very impressed with the "amazing new additions!" TTS brought to MGS1. Seems like they missed the entire point of the game and took away the great arcade gameplay of the original for something more realistic but without actually altering the design.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
plus the voice acting is the best in it especially compared to Twin Snakes.
Completely disagree. Mei Ling's awful accent alone kills the original, especially since it made absolutely NO sense given her background. That was always off-putting to me ever since the original release, and I was so glad it was changed for Twin Snakes as well as MGS4.

Koyuga

I watched a video review and wasn't very impressed with the "amazing new additions!" TTS brought to MGS1. Seems like they missed the entire point of the game and took away the great arcade gameplay of the original for something more realistic but without actually altering the design.

I don't see what was taken away, the game is more or less the same. This is actually most of the remake's problem, its too damn cut and paste from the original.

Koyuga

Completely disagree. Mei Ling's awful accent alone kills the original, especially since it made absolutely NO sense given her background. That was always off-putting to me ever since the original release, and I was so glad it was changed for Twin Snakes as well as MGS4.

And the voice acting in general in the game is incredibly weak compared to TTS.

Emitan

I don't see what was taken away, the game is more or less the same. This is actually most of the remake's problem, its too damn cut and paste from the original.

Bodies remaining when soldiers die. Increased vision range. Hanging from ledges.

All of these show SK didn't understand the design of the original MGS.

fireside

Makeup Ally is from the OP and they have a lot of reviews for products like that. Unfortunately, they’ve made it so you have to be registered to view most of the reviews.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I'm aware of that site, but that doesn't help me since I don't really know what I'm looking for.

What type of hair do you have (straight or curly, thick or thin? is it dry or damaged?) and what are you trying to achieve? (tame frizz? get more volume? shine? repair damage?) I should be able to recommend a few!

I'm having similar issues but with finding vegan shampoo and conditioner that I like. Even my go-to places for cruelty-free stuff use honey in some of their hair products, which is really limiting my options.

Have you tried any Lush shampoos? They have several vegan ones iirc, and one vegan conditioner (Veganese). I know for sure that their Big shampoo is vegan, and it is awesome.

iirate

What type of hair do you have (straight or curly, thick or thin? is it dry or damaged?) and what are you trying to achieve? (tame frizz? get more volume? shine? repair damage?) I should be able to recommend a few!

Have you tried any Lush shampoos? They have several vegan ones iirc, and one vegan conditioner (Veganese). I know for sure that their Big shampoo is vegan, and it is awesome.

I will check them out then. Thanks!

Like, what kind of shampoo works best with your hair type sort of thing?
Yes.
I'm confused on thickness, because while I think the individual strands are on the thin side they are quite numerous. I definitely have some waviness, though luckily not as much as my father. I'm not even sure what "dry" hair even looks or feels like, no one ever seems to define it in the articles I've read. Maybe it is. I have quite a lot of split ends; I haven't taken good care of my hair since I started growing it out ~three years ago. :x I have a lot of trouble with frizz, so that is my main concern.

yuna55

I just recently discovered Lush and fell in love. Haven't tried their hair products yet, but will now! :D

Their massage bars are amazing, and I'm digging their lip exfoliant and balms.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Yes.

I'm confused on thickness, because while I think the individual strands are on the thin side they are quite numerous. I definitely have some waviness, though luckily not as much as my father. I'm not even sure what "dry" hair even looks or feels like, no one ever seems to define it in the articles I've read. Maybe it is. I have quite a lot of split ends; I haven't taken good care of my hair since I started growing it out ~three years ago. :x I have a lot of trouble with frizz, so that is my main concern.

I also have fine hairs, but a lot of them. :)

You can tell if your hair is dry if it lacks "life" to it, in detail: if it isn't shiny, if it breaks easily, and if it lacks flexibility and bounce. If your hair is dry, there are a number of things you can do about it.

Split ends are best trimmed, there are lots of products that claim to repair them, but really you're stuck with them until they either break off or you cut them.

If your hair is frizzy, it could be due to dryness & the split ends. I'd suggest to trim the ends of your hair (1/2 inch to an inch should be enough for split ends depending on severity).

For fine hairs, silicone-free shampoos and conditioners are usually best, because silicone can build up and weigh those individual hairs down. They are easy to identify when you look at the ingredient list: anything that ends in -cone is a silicone. It might take you a while to find one. Right now I am using John Frieda's volume shampoo and I'm really happy with how light it keeps my hair.

If frizz continues to be a problem after trimming and addressing dryness, you might have to troubleshoot it. Some people jut have naturally frizzy hair, but sometimes there is an underlying cause. Is it super humid where you live? Do you heat style? Do you colour your hair? All of these can cause frizz problems!

I just recently discovered Lush and fell in love. Haven't tried their hair products yet, but will now! :D

I like a lot of Lush products, in addition to the universally-coveted bath bombs and fizzers I can also recommend their facial cleansers (the one with seaweed is great, forget the name...) and face masks!

They have a calamine-based face bar that works wonders for hypersensitive, overreactive skin. Best part? I can take it through airport security and it's not a liquid or a gel.

Not to drag this too far off topic but I just got a new phone and I've been playing around with the camera. HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Pretty slick.

Anyway here look at these pics I took of my dog with it.

Lx9Pg.jpg

kb9mW.jpg

And my boyfriends iPhone camera.

99SI6.jpg

So yeah. Doggy.

Ezalc

Hmmmm. He might be okay. I was thinking that maybe he is one of those annoying little fuckers that constantly yaps at everyone and everything.

The main reason why I hate chihuahuas. Seriously, fuck that shitty breed. Looks like some overgrown rat and never shuts the fuck up.

suzu

Your dog is so cute!

--

On yappy small dogs: They can be very territorial, but it doesn't help their rep when a lot of their owners don't bother stopping bad behavior (jumping, barking at everybody, growling, etc) because they are "cute and harmless". Most people wouldn't let a larger dog get away with that kind of stuff.

leadbelly

Banned
On yappy small dogs: They can be very territorial, but it doesn't help their rep when a lot of their owners don't bother stopping bad behavior (jumping, barking at everybody, growling, etc) because they are "cute and harmless". Most people wouldn't let a larger dog get away with that kind of stuff.

Yeah. I suppose also, as they are small dogs everything seems like more of a threat.

The dog is basically saying, "don't try any shit mate! I may be little but I have got a bite on me!" :D

Roots showing always looks bad to me.

I have a confession to make devo. It was only very recently that I realised the man's hair and beard are made out of cats. I was thinking about your avatar the other day, about how shit it is, and decided to take a closer look. It was then that I realised it had cats in it.

I'm quite amazed that I never noticed it at all for so long. I quite like it now actually.

Dom Brunt

I have a confession to make devo. It was only very recently that I realised the man's hair and beard are made out of cats. I was thinking about your avatar the other day, about how shit it is, and decided to take a closer look. It was then that I realised it had cats in it.

I'm quite amazed that I never noticed it at all for so long. I quite like it now actually.

I always see people saying this, how can it take so long for some people? I noticed it in like a week ;-D

my girlfriend has 4 yippy shiatzos that are mean as hell. one of them is terrible with people and is constantly biting visitors/barking. once he gets started then the three others get started as well. we cant even walk them because they can't behave around people. terrible creatures.

leadbelly

Banned
I always see people saying this, how can it take so long for some people? I noticed it in like a week ;-D

I don't know. It always seemed like an odd avatar to me. I always wondered why she chose it, but never bothered to ask her.

I can't not see the cats now of course.

Ezalc

my girlfriend has 4 yippy shiatzos that are mean as hell. one of them is terrible with people and is constantly biting visitors/barking. once he gets started then the three others get started as well. we cant even walk them because they can't behave around people. terrible creatures.

People with chihuahuas are terrible people because reasons. The ones with dogs that are just annoying should be part of a study as to why they enjoy making those around them miserable.

My old neighbor had two dogs a chihuahua and a yorkshire. The yorkshire was amazing, it was basically always quiet. Only if something bad happened it would start barking which was rare. The chihuahua though would not shut the fuck up. I remember going up the stairs to my house and hearing the little fucker at the door barking like a maniac. Sometimes I would stand there and purposefully antagonize it to see if it would either lose its' voice or if I could make it so all the barking would annoy the owners and cause them to give it away to somebody else far away from me. Neither worked and my hatred for the little monsters continues.

Loona

This has been puzzling me for a while, so I hope it's OK to bring up the subject here - it's about the Dead or Alive games.

When I first found the original arcade game it looked like a fun variation on Virtua Fighter, and I hoped the game would succeed on its strenghts - yet over the years, it turns out its... localized physics... ended up being what everyone noticed and talked about (being used to Mai Shiranui in the KoF games, I guess I was desensitized, or simply trying not to get beat up to badly by the CPU Gen-Fu).
Sequels to the game have played along with that and have stayed on that course...

Then DoA5 gets announced, an one of the first, if not the first gameplay trailer has no girls in it, as if the devs are asking people to focus on the actual fighting, for once, which is an interesting step given the series' adquired reputation, and several other little things have been pointing in that direction as more information has been released.

Then I discovered this - along with the discovery that a famous female fighting game player was actually a long-time fan of the series, this was probably the first time I saw a fighting game competition with a female commentator. Over the years the games have given off an increasing vibe of depicting its female characters for the sake of the male players, yet that kind of appeal hasn't exactly pushed some women away.
Then every once in a while in DoA5 threads in the gaming section of this forum some people mention how DoA is a favorite of their girlfriends or wives.

There will probably never be a study on this backed up with stats, but it's puzzling - how can a series that seems to have pandered to adolescent boys through its girls somehow have turned out more appealing to women than most other fighting games, if that is even the case?...

Any opinions, theories or factoids on the subject?...

Top Bottom