• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Was hoping I could get some help from females. Want to get my girlfriend a nice gift for our anniversary. Already taking her to a nice restaurant, and 'hand made' something (made her a little flash game :p), I just want to cover all my bases with a physical object as well. I know she loves boots, and I can probably look at her shoes today and figure out her size - I just don't know where to find boots. I want to order them online ideally - and it would be someone that shipped to Canada... but other than that, I am lost.

Anyone wanna help me out?

Was hoping I could get some help from females. Want to get my girlfriend a nice gift for our anniversary. Already taking her to a nice restaurant, and 'hand made' something (made her a little flash game :p), I just want to cover all my bases with a physical object as well. I know she loves boots, and I can probably look at her shoes today and figure out her size - I just don't know where to find boots. I want to order them online ideally - and it would be someone that shipped to Canada... but other than that, I am lost.

Don't buy her shoes. There's your help.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Don't buy her shoes. There's your help.

Well what else would you recommend? I want to get her something that she'd like and she'll actually use. I figured boots would be nice, cause she likes boots.

But if that's not the sort of gift a girl would like I'm stumped. I can't work with her hobbies, she crochets, and has plenty of yarn. She reads, but has a million books she is working through, she cooks but has all the cook ware she'll ever need. I figured... Hey, she loves boots.

Well what else would you recommend? I want to get her something that she'd like and she'll actually use. I figured boots would be nice, cause she likes boots.

But if that's not the sort of gift a girl would like I'm stumped. I can't work with her hobbies, she crochets, and has plenty of yarn. She reads, but has a million books she is working through, she cooks but has all the cook ware she'll ever need. I figured... Hey, she loves boots.

Buying anyone shoes is pretty much a losing proposition unless they ask for them specifically.

Osietra

Banned
What do you all think about the dating advice thread? I'm actually a guy, and if I wasn't having regular and lots of sex, my question could have a hidden agenda.

I had a boyfriend buy me a pair of Frye boots for Xmas years ago. I love them so much, and still wear 'em on the regular. Take her biggest interests into consideration first, but if you feel you can really nail her style down with a nice pair of boots I say go for it. Clothing of any kind is usually the toughest kind of gift to get right so keep that in mind.

As far as places to shop, piperlime.com has a nice variety in terms of styles and price point, and they have a great return policy in case thins don't work out :)

Leeness

What do you all think about the dating advice thread? I'm actually a guy, and if I wasn't having regular and lots of sex, my question could have a hidden agenda.

It's depressing to me. Though anything to do with dating is depressing to me so... I dunno.

Take her shoe shopping as a present then maybe. Shoes are so hard to fit right, and depending on brand the sizes can vary a lot. I think its a nice idea but you might have trouble finding that perfect pair without having her try them on first.

Buy a crochety or otherwise artsy thing from one of those artsy websites like Etsy or Pinit (dunno if you can buy stuff from this one, or if it's even called this). If she enjoys reading, maybe get her an e-paper ebook reader (they're pretty cheap and good nowadays)?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should read the synopsis for Pericles.

Take her shoe shopping as a present then maybe. Shoes are so hard to fit right, and depending on brand the sizes can vary a lot. I think its a nice idea but you might have trouble finding that perfect pair without having her try them on first.

^This, Kinitari. It's so hard to find the right fit (or look), so just taking her out for a nice day and then to pick out the shoes would probably be ace.

Cat

Shakespeare...favorite off the top of my head...

A Midsummer Night's Dream

It's so funny; we did it in high school, and there was a movie version that came out around the same time that I liked.

A.E Suggs

Buying anyone shoes is pretty much a losing proposition unless they ask for them specifically.

You could have told me this sooner, but as long as the size is correct i'm sure they people i'm buying them for will like them. If they don't then well tuff luck its the thought that counts is what they will be told.

You could have told me this sooner, but as long as the size is correct i'm sure they people i'm buying them for will like them. If they don't then well tuff luck its the thought that counts is what they will be told.

Well even if they like the shoe a lot the fit can no be so great. I run into this a lot. I see a shoe I like, put it on, and the inside is awfully constructed.

Prax

Those are marvelous! I'm also always looking for shoes that "look like they can injure someone were I trifled with." If I had more money I'd probably be an absolute boot whore. I love boots.

Just grabbed a pair of theses (though mine are brown):

6PS8O.jpg
Those are nice~~! I really appreciate toe and heel stitching detail. And the plaid lining is a nice touch.
I wish I had more money to blow on boots and cool clothing in general too, but I am poor and cheap, so I tend to not get nice things... though I'm sure something quality would do me a lot more good than something poorly constructed in the long run.

Yeah, I am goingt o say that shoe shopping for other people is a little on the difficult side. It might be better to just go shopping with her. I am not a great gift-giver though, so I have no real advice. Maybe you can give her a fancy new wallet with a gift certificate in it to a nice boot/shoe store. I'd give you plus coolness points if the wallet came from the same store, but I am not even sure this is a good idea. xD

leadbelly

Banned
What's your favorite shakespeare

I like 'Shakespeare in Love'. >.>

The best performance of a Shakespeare play was this one:

STUDENT actors got so drunk on stage that PARAMEDICS had to be called during a performance of Shakespeare.
Boozy thespians vomited, smashed the set and had to be held up by sober co-stars.
The Sussex University Drama Society were staging “S***-faced Shakespeare”, with actors deliberately getting wasted while reciting scenes from plays such as Macbeth at a bar in Falmer, East Sussex.
Audiences were invited to watch the stars “tripping, laughing and fruitlessly trying to remember their lines”. But the drama got real when an actress in her early 20s got so drunk an ambulance was called.
Society president Jacob Jackson was banned from all campus bars and a third show was cancelled.
The incident is being probed by the Student Union.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...e-S-faced-Shakespeare-show.html#ixzz2EYOtKbNe

The way Shakespeare is meant to be performed!

Ashes

Banned
What's your favorite shakespeare

A Midsummer Nights Dream. Hamlet when I have my thinking cap on. Macbeth is also up there. And Twelfth Night. Much ado about nothing rounds up my favourites.

My favourite line from Shakespeare is this:

“... Thou unnecessary letter!”

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So I've posted here before about my little sister... following up for anyone that remembers/cares: She broke up with the guy - and I didn't need to re-enact any scenes from Bad Boys 2

Now, she's 16 and actually dating a guy that I don't initially hate for once. The guy seems like a good kid. Plays ball, isn't scared of people, speaks his mind, seemingly intelligent, YYH fan...

I'm just curious because I've never been in a position where I don't hate a guy that one of my female family members is dating. The guy and myself are pretty cool with each other, but I don't want to go out and play basketball with him with or anything like that because I have no clue how my sister would react to do that. At the same time, I don't want her thinking that I give no fucks about who she goes out with.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you've got a big brother, how would like him to act towards your SO? (If he's a good one).

So I've posted here before about my little sister... following up for anyone that remembers/cares: She broke up with the guy - and I didn't need to re-enact any scenes from Bad Boys 2

Now, she's 16 and actually dating a guy that I don't initially hate for once. The guy seems like a good kid. Plays ball, isn't scared of people, speaks his mind, seemingly intelligent, YYH fan...

I'm just curious because I've never been in a position where I don't hate a guy that one of my female family members is dating. The guy and myself are pretty cool with each other, but I don't want to go out and play basketball with him with or anything like that because I have no clue how my sister would react to do that. At the same time, I don't want her thinking that I give no fucks about who she goes out with.

I guess what I'm asking is, if you've got a big brother, how would like him to act towards your SO? (If he's a good one).

You don't have to be buddy buddy but I'd generally want him and you to get along.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, my biggest fear in the whole situation is that I don't want her to like guys then immediately shut them down as I decide that I'm cool with them.

Just not sure if there's a tripwire on that or something. My best friend has that kind of relationship with his sisters and its just not something I want to emulate.

Just be friendly enough so that if you ever get alone in the same room it's not uncomfortable and that you can be with them without making it awkward for everyone.

A.E Suggs

Well even if they like the shoe a lot the fit can no be so great. I run into this a lot. I see a shoe I like, put it on, and the inside is awfully constructed.

I see. Well guess there's not turning back now.

Gifting boots is okay, but make sure they fit. They hurt as nine hells if they don't.

Also I've never read anything from Shakespeare.
Next year I'm sticking to gift cards /:

Also I've read shakespeare before but only as a report, I have no interest in his stories.

Those are nice~~! I really appreciate toe and heel stitching detail. And the plaid lining is a nice touch.
I wish I had more money to blow on boots and cool clothing in general too, but I am poor and cheap, so I tend to not get nice things... though I'm sure something quality would do me a lot more good than something poorly constructed in the long run.

Yeah, I am goingt o say that shoe shopping for other people is a little on the difficult side. It might be better to just go shopping with her. I am not a great gift-giver though, so I have no real advice. Maybe you can give her a fancy new wallet with a gift certificate in it to a nice boot/shoe store. I'd give you plus coolness points if the wallet came from the same store, but I am not even sure this is a good idea. xD

I really do love the look of them, especially the way the plaid peeks out. My only complaint is that they feel a bit thin. The soles are a somewhat plasticky, and they sadly do not feel as sturdy or flexible as work boots. Still like 'em, though. :) And, they weren't too bad (~$44), so they're not too much of a splurge.

I like 'Shakespeare in Love'. >.>

The best performance of a Shakespeare play was this one:

The way Shakespeare is meant to be performed!

That... sounds amazing. A shame they took it too far. I'd love to see a drunken rendition of Much Ado About Nothing.

Ashes

Banned
CHEEZMO™;45248893 said:
Lots of dudes ITT.

Welcome. Join us. Couch is comfy and there's hot cocoa in the carafe.

True. This thread is akin to a café for women on a campus populated with male dominated subjects.
I don't think anyone should be surprised that there are going to be dudes here. :p
Due to the nature of the thread there is a self filtering process at work here:
Talk about feminine topics such as make up routines attracts more female gaffer comments than male. You can argue about whether make up routines are a feminine interest, but that's a side issue.
More neutral topics attract a more neutral audience.

Having said that, having a 'no boys allowed' sign on the door is kind of immature too... Not entirely patronising, but perhaps you get my drift.

Carafe is a lovely word.

Kind of random, but the random thread reminded me that I wanted to share this trick with you ladies. :p

If any of you are having problems with your eyelashes falling out, either by the bunch or just super easily when you wash your face, I have a tip that my aunt shared with me when she visited recently.

Wash your eyelids/lashes with baby shampoo before bed.

Using mascara, eyeshadow, curling your eyelashes, etc., eventually takes its toll and there's also a very common bacteria that causes them to fall out, but washing them with baby shampoo kills that bacteria and strengthens the base. Since trying this I've definitely had way less shedding, quicker growth, and more have grown back. I recommend it!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Nothing wrong with guys coming to hang out. I don't think most of us have a problem with it. All we ask is that you be polite and don't creep.

True. This thread is akin to a café for women on a campus populated with male dominated subjects.
I don't think anyone should be surprised that there are going to be dudes here. :p
Due to the nature of the thread there is a self filtering process at work here:
Talk about feminine topics such as make up routines attracts more female gaffer comments than male. You can argue about whether make up routines are a feminine interest, but that's a side issue.
More neutral topics attract a more neutral audience.

Having said that, having a 'no boys allowed' sign on the door is kind of immature too... Not entirely patronising, but perhaps you get my drift.

Carafe is a lovely word.

No one is surprised dudes are here. But when they come in waves they've taken over the thread before.

Top Bottom