• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

A reviewer mentioned it was 10 hours. Reviewers have deadlines to reach so they don't have the luxury to go through a game at their own pace. They've got to rush through it to get their review ready.

wizword

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
A reviewer mentioned it was 10 hours. Reviewers have deadlines to reach so they don't have the luxury to go through a game at their own pace. They've got to rush through it to get their review ready.
But a game like god of war 3 is completely linear. It means that the game length won't be significantly longer unless you die a lot. I can't imagine a game like god of war 3 be 15 hours or about 50% longer if someone could beat the game in 10 hours.

nib95

Banned
wizword said:
But a game like god of war 3 is completely linear. It means that the game length won't be significantly longer unless you die a lot. I can't imagine a game like god of war 3 be 15 hours or about 50% longer if someone could beat the game in 10 hours.

Think again man. GOW2 took me like 16 hours to complete but only 12 or less the second time!

wizword said:

God of War also have puzzles (that can get pretty clever and took a while to figure it out) and even though it's mostly linear. there's enough little branches here and there for secret chests and stuff. so there's some exploration too in it (even though it's minimal)

rhino4evr said:
Both god of war games were about 10 hours so....

The second one is significantly longer. It has a lot more content.

But the first one is significantly harder on the default difficulty, so it might have took you a long time the first time. But GOW1 can be beat in 3-4hours on a speed run without breaking much of a sweat.

rhino4evr

PuppetMaster said:
The second one is significantly longer. It has a lot more content.

But the first one is significantly harder on the default difficulty, so it might have took you a long time the first time. But GOW1 can be beat in 3-4hours on a speed run without breaking much of a sweat.
Yeah gow 1 was about 8 and gow 2 about 12 from what I remember. I think 10 hours is a decent length. Anything under 8 is what I'd consider short

Cruzader

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Yeah gow 1 was about 8 and gow 2 about 12 from what I remember. I think 10 hours is a decent length. Anything under 8 is what I'd consider short

This man speaks the truth and the guy below him too.

OT: rhino, I love your avatar. That rat thing looks funny.

kaskade

I should really get the GoW collection this weekend. I'll either be sick of the game by time I finish both or be craving for more. Probably the latter.

Speevy

Banned
The truth is that this generation, almost every non-RPG single player campaign can be beaten in a rental period (many in a single afternoon).

I can't really name many long action games this generation, but given how ridiculously amazing the experiences of the first two games were, I'm betting this game will be worth twice what you pay for it.

reKon

Banned
I don't give a shit if it's 10 hours. It will be the most epic 10 hours gaming has ever witnessed and I know for sure I didn't rush through GoW 1 and 2 in under 10 hours. I take my time with my favorite games.

Zophar

Speevy said:
The truth is that this generation, almost every non-RPG single player campaign can be beaten in a rental period (many in a single afternoon).
This isn't anything new to this generation.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deepack said:
New review from OPM in the Benelux!

It got 97%.

The highest score they have ever given to a game. FF XII, Uncharted 2 and Daxter for PSP got the same score.

I generally don't agree with their reviews, but I thought I'd let you guys know.

OPM_98.jpg

Haven't got the magazine myself but I'm trying to find out the pro's and cons. I'll keep you guys updated.

EDIT: GOT 'EM!

+ Best graphics they have ever seen
+ Epic, symphonic music

- Tried and true gameplay for the third time (no shit)
- Relativley short (about 10 hours)

Kinda lame-ass pro's and cons...

I love that cover art!

reKon

Banned
Man, in another forum I accidently saw some of the gifs..

dear lord...

Dante's Inferno really never had a chance, but we had no idea. It's not even fair, lol...

The scale is unbelievable too. I had no idea I'd end up playing a fucking epic CGI game.

after watching gttv episodes. I don't know how any reviewer can say the gameplay is stale or not changed at all.

they add and change quite a lot more than I expect. at first I thought combat grapple is the biggest addition. but in gttv you get to see hermes shoes in action for platforming and battle. icarus wing air dash, fire bow, 2 new weapon shown, new magic, etc.

the combat grapple alone is really unique because each weapon have different application. blade of chaos will drag kratos to enemy while cestus will drag enemy to you instead. can't wait to see how the other weapon work with combat grapple.

that's way more addition that I expect from any other game in a sequel.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Callibretto said:
after watching gttv episodes. I don't know how any reviewer can say the gameplay is stale or not changed at all.

they add and change quite a lot more than I expect. at first I thought combat grapple is the biggest addition. but in gttv you get to see hermes shoes in action for platforming and battle. icarus wing air dash, fire bow, 2 new weapon shown, new magic, etc.

the combat grapple alone is really unique because each weapon have different application. blade of chaos will drag kratos to enemy while cestus will drag enemy to you instead. can't wait to see how the other weapon work with combat grapple.

that's way more addition that I expect from any other game in a sequel.

This is the same shit that occurred with Ratchet and Clank: ACiT basically. Fuck it, I say. Since when are improvements and expansions to a given formula not enough? Isn't this exactly what makes AC2, MW2, ME2, GOW2, U2 and so on such good games?

Even if it was just more of the same (which is NOT to begin with), I wouldn't complain at all since it'd be more of the same awesomeness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
has anyone actually not given this game an outstanding score yet for being 'more of the same', or is this just the typical pre-bitch so that when it happens we're all validated thing?

Schrade

Rez said:
has anyone actually not given this game an outstanding score yet for being 'more of the same', or is this just the typical pre-bitch so that when it happens we're all validated thing?
It's actually the typical "Rez comes into a Sony exclusive game thread to bitch about the people laughing at stupid review cons".

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rez said:

Good scores or not, I still hate when I see this 'more of the same' crap being noted as a "con" when the score is a good one. You know, games can be improved and be better without having to change the formula one bit. Uncharted 2 is a perfect example of this. Write a description of it and then apply it to Uncharted 1. It matches perfectly, and yet U2 is superior in every way (well, except the end boss). Same with basically every FPS on the market. They are all samey, but you can still tell the gold from the shit.

Dennis

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So for most people it will probably be about 12-14 hours then. Seems reasonable for an action game.

Hydrargyrus

This game is over the reviews. I don't care about what they say or his score... c'mon, after these vids, the demo and GOW1&2, nothing more has to be said.

GOW3 has rise the bar over the Mont Olympus!!!

mr_nothin

Banned
Schrade said:
It's actually the typical "Rez comes into a Sony exclusive game thread to bitch about the people laughing at stupid review cons".
He does this crap all the time. It really is typical and expected of him now.

wouwie

I finally had a chance to play the demo yesterday. It was my first experience with God Of War. To be honest though, i'm not a fan of hack 'n slash. Probably because i'm not good at it. It always amounts to button bashing in my case since i rarely get any idea of strategy in these kind of games.

Anyway, a couple of things struck me:
- fixed camera angle is really weird
- a surprising amount of QTE gameplay (in which i'm so focused on the symbols that appear that i hardly watch what's going on in the game)
- graphics are solid but not spectacular (i realise it's an old demo though)
- gameplay seems quite "old fashioned"
- there's a lot of gore/blood but somehow it doesn't annoy me.

I'm keeping my preorder but i wish i was able to enjoy hack 'n slash more than i do. I'm going to give it a serious try with this game though.

I'm not watching the new footage but the idea that the graphics are better than Uncharted 2 seems quite impossible at this stage. They must have revamped them a lot since the demo.

A.R.K

Schrade said:
lol
and I thought I was the only one who found Rez's weird nonsensical insights (bitching) in ps3 exlusive threads annoying just like his fucking annoying avatar :/

sambishop u killing me man!!!!! Awesomenessss:D

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
wouwie said:
I'm not watching the new footage but the idea that the graphics are better than Uncharted 2 seems quite impossible at this stage. They must have revamped them a lot since the demo.

That demo is COMPLETELY irrelevant now.

KingDizzi

Banned
SamBishop said:
Worth every last stitch of waiting. I promise...

Did your copy come with the GT5 trailer which is suppose to be in the retail version of the game? Good to hear GOW III is living up to the hype, getting excited for it now.

UltimaKilo said:
That demo is COMPLETELY irrelevant now.

I second that, granted, I haven't played the game yet. But the demo sucks by the God of War 1 and 2 standard. The level is just terribly designed and doesn't make sense. The demo must make even less sense if you've never played a GoW before, plus the framerate is all over the place. Sony shouldn't have distributed it like that or should have make another demo. This one will hurt the game more than it will help it.

sam27368

Banned
I'd rather 10 hours of pure epicness and an entirely memorable experience rather than 15 hours of drawn out cut/pasted level design.

koene

neojubei said:
I love that cover art!

And the megaposter inside is also nice! It's the beautiful cover art of the CE of GoW. It's really one of the best OPMs I've ever read. Reviews of GoW III, Heavy Rain, Bioshock II and FF XIII. It's almost too much for one magazine :)

Man, I am SO hyped for GoW! It's like a drug but I have to wait three weeks to get it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Schrade said:
:lol

Awesome.

Hey guys, whats the deal with the GT5 trailer?

desu

BeeDog said:
What do they say about the game?

Well I guess the same what every review is saying so far.

Game looks and plays absolutely fantastic... only small gripe they had was with the camera (but they even listed it as mini-complaint). Reviewers listed it as their game of the year so far.

wouwie said:
I finally had a chance to play the demo yesterday. It was my first experience with God Of War. To be honest though, i'm not a fan of hack 'n slash. Probably because i'm not good at it. It always amounts to button bashing in my case since i rarely get any idea of strategy in these kind of games.

Anyway, a couple of things struck me:
- fixed camera angle is really weird
- a surprising amount of QTE gameplay (in which i'm so focused on the symbols that appear that i hardly watch what's going on in the game)
- graphics are solid but not spectacular (i realise it's an old demo though)
- gameplay seems quite "old fashioned"
- there's a lot of gore/blood but somehow it doesn't annoy me.

I'm keeping my preorder but i wish i was able to enjoy hack 'n slash more than i do. I'm going to give it a serious try with this game though.

Ive played the demo as well ages back and believe that it looks at least as good as the lesser parts of uncharted 2... Istanbul etc....but the new footage looks more impressive than U2 without a doubt...Up until now U2 was tied with another game as the best looking game Ive played...but the stuff they show here is quite a step up from U2 in many ways....actually the step up the graphics have taken from the demo is one of the biggest Ive seen...amazing

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Schrade said:
I am sorry for offending you, it wasn't my intention. I don't really have time for GAF anymore, I haven't been keeping up with much in video games for the past few weeks.

It was a fairly honest question. Carry on.

edit: there's something weird about being attacked in a God of War thread after having spent a few days in the Dante's Inferno thread typing up paragraphs comparing it to God of War 2 and explaining how the GoW series does 'what Dante's don't' in such a masterful way, but yeah, whatever.

I'm old and bitter and completely over dealing with this shit. Believe whatever makes you happy, dude.

Torrod

Neo Member
BeeDog said:
What do they say about the game?

Pros:

-Breathtaking, almost perfect presentation
-Spectacular fighting-scenes and magic
-Well implemented and smart puzzles
-Epic Story about betrayal and revenge, twists included
-Breathtaking technical achievements, especially the visuals

Con
-missing innovations
-sometimes confusing camera

Visuals 10 out of 10
Sund 10 out of 10

93 out of 100 overall

Editors opinion

"I was hyped about the game like a kid. After playing through the game in one session I can say: the waiting was worth it. The feel of gameplay is 100% God of War, similar to its predecessors - but a few steps more epic. You can`t count the jaw dropping moments on one hand. Some plattforming and jumping areas were slightly annoying sometimes and the Guitar Hero Minigame (WTF?) is a nice but not well implemented idea. This time there are no annoying balancing-parts. The level of gore and brutality isn`t a problem for me and the game is obviously no kids-stuff. My personal game of the Year. Buy it!"

"This game is a software-craftsmen Masterpiece. In comparrison with Dantes Inferno it becomes clear how unbelievable well this game is presented. Sorry, but compared to GoW, EAs hellride looks like a poorly made product build by amateurs. But again I have to say: God of War 3 is a very brutal and merciless game and shows that in very explicit ways. It fits perfectly to the character that Kratos is, but some elements may go to far. Overall, God of War 3 is the best game for the PS3 so far - the end. "

Hope you all get the point out of my translation ;)

Top Bottom