• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Generic said:
Anyway, as for me insulting GoW, that's just it. I am insulting God of War, the series, the product, not GoW fans.
Okay. You don't like God of War, the series. You've made your point. You've stated your opinion. You've used evidence to back it up. Very few people have agreed with you. You're not changing anyone's minds. Even if people do agree with your points, chances are anyone reading a God of War pre-release hype thread is going to be excited about playing the game regardless of whether the boss fights are technically deep or not. At this point you're just arguing for argument's sake. Save yourself the energy. Go play a game or something.

Veelk

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Because no one actually like the satyrs.

Once again: God of War fans completely confound me.

Still totally respect your opinion though, nor I think any less of you or any other (What is IMO a very strange) person that does not find the Satyr's awesome to fight:D

neverknowsbest said:
Okay. You don't like God of War, the series. You've made your point. You've stated your opinion. You've used evidence to back it up. Very few people have agreed with you. You're not changing anyone's minds. Even if people do agree with your points, chances are anyone reading a God of War pre-release hype thread is going to be excited about playing the game regardless of whether the boss fights are technically deep or not. At this point you're just arguing for argument's sake. Save yourself the energy. Go play a game or something.

And whats wrong with that? I said I enjoy debates and discussions. Even with all the flames, the arguement lead to an interesting discussion on the aggressiveness of enemies and bosses, and what works in what types of games. I'm not trying to change anyone's minds, just talking about stuff with other intellectuals is a reward in and of itself.

Edit: That said, you may have a point. I just got BC2, and I've spent all this time arguing...so yeah.

Empty

I'm looking for some advice on God of War, and it might as well go in here. I watched a gameplay video from E3 last year and it completely put me off the series, the guys head being ripped off from the neck was way too horrible, made me a little queasy and i left being convinced that this game would be way too gorey and violent for me to enjoy; this isn't normally a huge problem, i do play violent and bloody games, but here it was too much. However, i watch the gifs in this thread and i'm very impressed by the scale of the game, think the huge bosses look pretty damn cool, and see the love they get all the time, so should i buy the God of War collection or will the other stuff in them be too offputting for me.

Combichristoffersen said:
Because no one actually like the satyrs.

:lol This is true. I would always freeze them because I didn't want to deal with them.

They offer a good challenge one-by-one but they always shot like 3 at you so I would just get tired of them.

Future

Anyone that has played GoW1 and 2 knows that aggression gets turned up with difficulty. More AI attack you at once, and they attack sooner. GoW on normal is easy mode for veteran players, and probably what is being seen in these vids

Empty said:
I'm looking for some advice on God of War, and it might as well go in here. I watched a gameplay video from E3 last year and it completely put me off the series, the guys head being ripped off from the neck was way too horrible, made me a little queasy and i left being convinced that this game would be way too gorey and violent for me to enjoy; this isn't normally a huge problem, i do play violent and bloody games, but here it was too much. However, i watch the gifs in this thread and i'm very impressed by the scale of the game, think the huge bosses look pretty damn cool, and see the love they get all the time, so should i buy the God of War collection or will the other stuff in them be too offputting for me.

People that have found the Helios kill to be offensive haven't found that to be the case with previous GoW's because the visual quality isn't nearly as high in those two games.

Althoran

That is a poor choice of words Generic. I think you are entitled to your opinion and I think you should be able to voice it in this thread, since threads that are only praising a game aren't really realistic.
If a thread only has comments from fans without any negative comments it is difficult to make a good assessment on the good and the bad stuff in a game.

I preordered GoW3 and am really anticipating it. I understand where you are coming from but if you make the gameplay much more agressive wouldn't that make if the same as Bayonetta and DMC?
They could do it on the higher difficulty levels though.

Empty

SolidSnakex said:
People that have found the Helios kill to be offensive haven't found that to be the case with previous GoW's because the visual quality isn't nearly as high in those two games.

Rad.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Empty said:

God of War 1 & 2 are Sesamestreet compared to the Helios-headripping-scene.

Empty said:
There is some stuff in GoW 1&2 that can be off putting for people like yourself. As much as I want people to experience GoW, you might want to try reading reviews and watching a few youtube videos before you decide on buying it. For example in GoW 1,
in one scene there is a trapped soldier Hero in a cage. Instead of freeing him like any normal person would, you push his cage through a hallway into a roasting chamber for a good dose of human sacrifice required to pass the level. Needless to say, you put his cage in position and roast him to death.

Yeah must be the higher fidelity of graphics. I love seeing Kratos kill people/monsters. He freaking
Smashed a guy's head by slamming it into a book.
Personally I want to see that in HD.

Veelk

Banned
Althoran said:
That is a poor choice of words Generic. I think you are entitled to your opinion and I think you should be able to voice it in this thread, since threads that are only praising a game aren't really realistic.
If a thread only has comments from fans without any negative comments it is difficult to make a good assessment on the good and the bad stuff in a game.

I preordered GoW3 and am really anticipating it. I understand where you are coming from but if you make the gameplay much more agressive wouldn't that make if the same as Bayonetta and DMC?
They could do it on the higher difficulty levels though.

Well, as far as my choice of words go, I don't believe in sugarcoating everything I say. I try not to make it so that other people will get offended, but that's as far as I go. And yes, I agree that actual discussion is more fruitful than constant, uninterrupted praising or flaming of something, no matter what it may be.

Anyway, no, it would not. GoW takes elements from other games, but it definitely has it's own spin on things. Merely enhancing the enemies would hardly turn it into Bayonetta and DMC, combat systems are much more complex than that, likewise if they want to make the system more complex they will have to do more than simply up the stats of enemies and (allegedly) make enemies attack more frequently, like they have in past games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Generic said:
Once again: God of War fans completely confound me.

Still totally respect your opinion though, nor I think any less of you or any other (What is IMO a very strange) person that does not find the Satyr's awesome to fight:D

I just find the satyrs to be terribly frustrating to fight, as they block most of your attacks, and fighting them when they're two or more in a pack is a major pain in the ass :lol

Ballistictiger said:
Yeah must be the higher fidelity of graphics. I love seeing Kratos kill people/monsters. He freaking

It's definitely one of the reasons why people like him so much. One of the few characters that's just an all out asshole and there are never any apologies for it.

Empty

RustyNails said:
There is some stuff in GoW 1&2 that can be off putting for people like yourself. As much as I want people to experience GoW, you might want to try reading reviews and watching a few youtube videos before you decide on buying it. For example in GoW 1,
in one scene there is a trapped soldier Hero in a cage. Instead of freeing him like any normal person would, you push his cage through a hallway into a roasting chamber for a good dose of human sacrifice required to pass the level. Needless to say, you put his cage in position and roast him to death.

It isn't so much committing acts of barbarism that i find offputting, it is the highly graphic depictions of said acts, do unless that scene is super intense in showing the roasting, like the head-ripping, i probably would be able to put up with it. I will check some videos, though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Empty said:
It isn't so much committing acts of barbarism that i find offputting, it is the highly graphic depictions of said acts, do unless that scene is super intense in showing the roasting, like the head-ripping, i probably would be able to put up with it. I will check some videos, though.

It's not really that graphic, you just push the cage up a hill (one of the most frustrating puzzles ever, to boot), put him in the 'roasting chamber' pull a lever, and that's pretty much it. I'd say what Kratos does to the Horse master? Horse keeper? in GoW II is far more brutal.

Cerberus

Ballistictiger said:
The previous GOW games were very brutal. I guess a lot of people forgot how brutal the kills were. To refresh some people on how brutal Kratos is.

Brutal stuff, but nothing that really bothered me. The worst part was probably Kratos smashing some head against a wall or some other object and my reaction is, "Wow." Seeing the Helios gif for the first time however made me cringe and I remember saying, "WTF. Holy shit." It's a pretty disturbing gif to look at, but I'm used to it now after playing the demo many times.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Generic said:
if they want to make the system more complex they will have to do more than simply up the stats of enemies and (allegedly) make enemies attack more frequently, like they have in past games.

This is fact. The grunts will tear you apart in record time. You should be aware of this seeing as you're such an expert.

Empty said:
Then I think you should give GoW collection a try. GoW 3 is for a newer generation of consoles, so every graphical detail counts. The fatalities in GoW 1 & 2 get away without showing too much gruesome detail. Kratos does some pretty nasty shit to some of the bosses, like Theseus (Horsemaster) as people mentioned. Nothing approaches Helios head rip detail in previous games.

Pistolero

I appreciate the thought you're putting into your posts, generic.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's so much nicer than the typical GIF post or one sentence farts.

Says the guy who replies with a one remark fart. My friend, aren't you tired of playing the joy-breaker in every PS3 game relate thread? No pun intended! :D
As to Generic's post, we got the idea, and some of your comments, though wrapped in a condescending tone, are rather pertinent. But the mechanics you're describing is a "parti-pris" fully assumed by the designers who've been privileging a cinematic experience to a total freedom, hence the need to having a scripted experience justifying the use of QTEs and recurring patterns offering Kratos a breach to accomplish the action and trigger the sequences. Some gamers don’t like it, others do. This has been a proven recipe for the franchise and expecting it to change is unreasonable…

J-Rzez

Ballistictiger said:

I remember people freaking out when we first saw him decapitate with his bare hands. The detail to him struggling to do so with grimaces on both people's faces, and to see the skin/flesh actually tear. Not to mention letting the entrails out of the bag. I mean, dead rising had stuff like this, but it's the detail, overall graphical quality of this game that may trigger said reaction from people.

To me though, it's incredible. Can't wait.

I love the amount of details that SM puts into the execution Kratos does. I love seeing the victim struggle, the expression on their faces, and the grunts coming from Kratos as he is killing. Everything they put into the executions creates a very believable scene. Kratos ripping Helios's head off while Helios is struggling not to get killed with that expression on his face made me chuckle.

I love gore in game that is executed flawlessly, but I freaking hate horror movie gores for some reason.

JCreasy

Generic and PEZIX have a shill-ish quality to a lot of their remarks. . . . all the Dante's Inferno and Bad Company plugs I've seen outta those two.

I'm not sayin they're shills *cough* for EA *cough* . . . just very . . shill-ISH

itxaka

Defeatist
Just wanted to say, as there is no official thread that I can find, that after playing the GOW demo I am impressed.

Yes, it's still the same gameply, chain swords, kill everything blablabla, but the game looks awesome, and still plays awesome.

Veelk

Banned
Pistolero said:
As to Generic's post, we got the idea, and some of your comments, though wrapped in a condescending tone, are rather pertinent. But the mechanics you're describing is a "parti-pris" fully assumed by the designers who've been privileging a cinematic experience to a total freedom, hence the need to having a scripted experience justifying the use of QTEs and recurring patterns offering Kratos a breach to accomplish the action and trigger the sequences. Some gamers don’t like it, others do. This has been a proven recipe for the franchise and expecting it to change is unreasonable…

I don't want it to change, I'd actually be pissed about that. Not even because I like the current system, but because that's what GoW is build on. If you want to do something different, do a whole new IP so you don't disappoint fans of the old game when you make the new system. I do, however, wish the gameplay of GoW would evolve into a technically deeper system. The devs said the combat system is a bit deeper now, more flexible, and I honestly believe them. For one, the new weapons look far more usable than the hammer, spear, or Artemis Sword ever were. But one should advance everything when evolving the game, not just one part, so I was hoping for more complex and aggressive enemies, but I see little of that so far.

JCreasy said:
Generic and PEZIX have a shill-ish quality to a lot of their remarks. . . . all the Dante's Inferno and Bad Company plugs I've seen outta those two.

I'm not sayin they're shills *cough* for EA *cough* . . . just very . . shill-ISH

What about Bayonetta, DMC and NG? I mentioned those too, I believe. Or atleast refered to them. Well, if I didn't here's me saying that DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all awesome. Clearly, I am working for 4 different publishers.

Edit: and for the record, the first few hours of the SP of BC2 SUCKED. Horrible respawn points and the enemy AI is weak. I know the MP is awesome, but I'm really disappointed in the SP so far, though it's gotten better than it was before.

Animator

Generic said:
I don't want it to change, I'd actually be pissed about that. Not even because I like the current system, but because that's what GoW is build on. If you want to do something different, do a whole new IP so you don't disappoint fans of the old game when you make the new system. I do, however, wish the gameplay of GoW would evolve into a technically deeper system. The devs said the combat system is a bit deeper now, more flexible, and I honestly believe them. For one, the new weapons look far more usable than the hammer, spear, or Artemis Sword ever were. But one should advance everything when evolving the game, not just one part, so I was hoping for more complex and aggressive enemies, but I see little of that so far.

What about Bayonetta, DMC and NG? I mentioned those too, I believe. Or atleast refered to them. Well, if I didn't here's me saying that DMC, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden are all awesome. Clearly, I am working for 4 different publishers.

Oh stop already. Do you know why gow sells more than all those games combined? It is because it is accessible. I love the shit out of bayonetta and dmc but it is not for the majority of the gow buyers. Gow is a perfect blend of action, puzzles and amazing epic environments and setpieces that is simply not available in any other game. It is a game that everyone can enjoy. So no I am glad they dont cater to your needs. You have made your statement. You somehow judge how easy a game is based on a press demo which always run on the easiest difficulty level not to mention it shows only the beginning and end of the bossfight.

This thread has taken a weird turn between the "rent a ps3, it has no games" trolls and the armchair gameplay experts.

Grooski

Banned
Sweet merciful Jane, I will never understand how some people lose track of how fun games are supposed to be. You guys have been gaming way too long if you are ripping the joy out of those vids and screens.

More than that, so many people are genuinely psyched over what could be one of the best games this gen, but in comes the killjoys to fuck it up. Its too gamey, the boss battles are predictable, the screen tears every 6th frame. FFS look at the vid at see how much fucking fun that looks to be??? Who cares at the rest?

Now, Generic, you've said your piece. I disagree 100% with everything that you have said but you're entitled to it. Maybe its time step aside to let others have their say, huh?

Baki

haitu said:
Well there is an alternative. Just buy a used ps3 from ebay or craigslist, buy god of war 3 and play the junk out of it then just sell the ps3 back and god of war 3 back. You are basically renting.

used ps3: 270-280
+
god of war: 55
----------------------------
335ish

selling used ps3 shouldn't go down in value much, if at all in a few months.
god of war will probably sell back for 40ish.

I do this all the time with video games. (not system since there hasn't been a game good enough to get a ps3.) and if I didn't have a friend who had the ps3 I would defeinetly do this cause there isn't any other games worth it to buy the ps3 (in my opinion so back off ps3 fan boys).
:lol All that trouble to play one game.

Generic said:
I've played all the past gow games (except the cell phone one), I beat GoW2's titan mode, and I've played the demo. The mechanics of the past GoW's do not change between difficulty, the only difference between them is that enemy's strength gets brought up and you take greater damage. Since the core mechanics remain the same, I can observe and atleast make a reasonable estimate on the gameplay mechanics that will be occuring within GoW3 based on what I've seen. Unless they really changed things up, which is possible but unlikely as I have not seen it commented on anywhere in interviews, the mechanics will remain the same on higher difficulties and Poseidon will be as unaggressive as he is now. He will just do much greater damage when his attacks get through.

Have you played the game?

Pistolero

I've always viewed GOW combat system as more forgiving rather than shallow. Nothing prevents you from playing in an elegant way, utilizing the items made at your disposals instead of hitting the buttons randomly and furiously. It is true however than the number of possible combinations is more limited than one would explore in DMC or Bayonetta, but I doubt that that was a priority for the game's designers...
Gow is a perfect blend of action, puzzles and amazing epic environments and setpieces that is simply not available in any other game

Well put. GOW is more of an story driven action game... :D

Veelk

Banned
Animator said:
Oh stop already. Do you know why gow sells more than all those games combined? It is because it is accessible. I love the shit out of bayonetta and dmc but it is not for the majority of the gow buyers. Gow is a perfect blend of action, puzzles and amazing epic environments and setpieces that is simply not available in any other game. It is a game that everyone can enjoy. So no I am glad they dont cater to your needs. You have made your statement. You somehow judge how easy a game is based on a press demo which always run on the easiest difficulty level not to mention it shows only the beginning and end of the bossfight.

This thread has taken a weird turn between the "rent a ps3, it has no games" trolls and the armchair gameplay experts.

First off, I don't see why it can't have a complex system AND be accessible. Bayonetta has proven it's possible. Very complex system, you can beat it 1 handed on the easiest difficulty and it has a difficulty that can tear your ass to shreds, but you can still truly master it.

Second, I wasn't even saying GoW was bad in that post. I even praised them for evolving it further by giving us accessible weapons! What the hell do you want from me? Am I suppose to be sucking GoW's balls with every post I make like everyone else was doing, with no critiques over anything it does because it is so fucking perfect in your eyes? Someone responded to my comments, so I responded back, because they were incorrectly thinking that I just wanted a whole new system, when I do not. Is that so wrong?

Third...really? Even now? Are you so fixated on defending a game you happen to like that you still, after 2 fucking pages, cannot comprehend that I am not judging the whole game, not even wholly judging that boss fight, but just on what was shown? Have you not heard me repeat that GoW bosses do not change their attack patterns on different difficulties, so unless they changed something, which we have to assume they didn't because they never said anything, so what we see in that video about how Poseidon lacks aggression is going to stay, whether I have the final game or not? Are you really so blind?

Ugh. I'm done. It's 3 am, and I need to get some sleep. Maybe more reasonable people will be up later. I probably shouldn't have even replied to you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
skip this post if you couldn't care less about shitty sniping between forum members.

Pistolero said:
Says the guy who replies with a one remark fart. My friend, aren't you tired of playing the joy-breaker in every PS3 game relate thread? No pun intended! :D
This is the second time I've been called out for this in a GoW3 thread, when I myself have confessed to both being a massive GoW fan and on media blackout. Hell, I'm guilty of more than one one-sentence 'SO GOOD' posts myself. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, it's just nice to have some discourse in a thread as well as love.

The only 'PS3 exclusive' game that I can think of at the moment (feel free to call me out on something else) that I've really not had good things to say about after playing is Killzone 2 (which I did give credit where credit was/is due), and to a lesser extent Demon's Souls (which was more of a 'I don't get it' thing, as opposed to a 'THIS IS SHIT' thing). I'm not sure how I got this reputation. I wish it would go away.

I think people automatically think I'm putting them down I mention 'GIFS and GIFS', 'fanboys' or 'one sentence farts', but it's not so much me being condescending to everyone else as it is me trying to encourage the few who are actually putting some effort into their posts when everyone else is trying to shut them down. I know I try to put some effort in when I have something interesting to say, else I just post 'looks so fucking amazing' like everyone else.

I hate that I have to waste thread space typing this out. I'm sorry to anyone who couldn't care less about why I post in this thread, which is to say, everyone but the select few who keep taking cheap shots at me. If you need me I'll be up on my cross.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rez said:
The only 'PS3 exclusive' game that I can think of at the moment (feel free to call me out on something else) that I've really not had good things to say about after playing is Killzone 2 (which I did give credit where credit was/is due), and to a lesser extent Demon's Souls (which was more of a 'I don't get it' thing, as opposed to a 'THIS IS SHIT' thing). I'm not sure how I got this reputation. I wish it would go away.

Those unfamiliar with your post history are probably jumping to conclusions
.jpg
after viewing the reason for your tag. :lol

tzare

Generic said:
GoW fans will forever confound me. I get that people love the franchise, love Kratos, but the level of drooling that's going on about...well, anything pertaining to this franchise is ridiculous. After seeing the semi full Poseidon battle and everyone drooling over it, I seriously have to point out why it sucks, just like most of GoW's boss battles.

1:39: Okay, I cannot judge this too harshly, because I have no played the game and this is battle is clearly cut to an extent. However, just look at the positioning here. Poseidon has 2 crab things latched on to either side of Gaia's head. He has AT LEAST 3 more of them, and he has his own body, trident, and electrical powers. And what does he do with them? Nothing. You can see 2 of the crab things just chilling in the back, doing absolutely nothing, and Poseidon himself is just watching Kratos as he turns his back on him to deal with the crab legs on the side. This is the number one reason why GoW's bosses were weak, Why GoW2's bosses were weak, and why GoW3's bosses appear to be weak as well. They hardly every feel as if they are trying to kill you, and thus never provide you with a real challenge. What should be happening is that Poseidon should be attacking Kratos with everything he has. Rather than waiting for an interval of 5 seconds or so between attacks, he should be jabbing repeatedly. I mean, even if he misses, he's still hurting Gaia. And have the other tentacle things do SOMETHING, if they're not going to attack kratos, don't just have them standing there.

1:54: Do you know why Kratos managed to knock you out? Because you were literally standing there, doing nothing while he approached. Again, this makes the bosses feel absolutely pathetic because they stand there doing nothing for periods of time. Also, I don't really remember GoW1's bosses as well as GoW2's, but nearly all of GoW2's has only 2-3 attacks per stage. I cannot comment on this as it's clearly cut video, showing only 3 kinds of attacks (Trident Strike, Trident lightning strike, and Crab tentacle strike), but if the bosses still only use 2-3 attacks per stage, I will be disappointed.

2:28: A minor point, but is there any particular reason he can't immediately get more rocks to protect his weak point? I mean, they ARE all around him.

2:34: You know what would be a better use for that tentacle? Killing Kratos so that you don't have to worry about him, then taking out gaia, who is clearly the more passive in this fight.

2:53: Why? Why is he hit with that once, then pull back? Why not just keep rapidly hitting the rest of her head?

3:04-3:25: WTF IS THIS SHIT?! Maybe there were some cuts here, but it really doesn't look like it. Someone explain this to me. Gaia pulls back to punch. Her punch is stopped by Crab tentacle thing. Then 3 more crab tentacles bite the rest of the way up her arm. Then...they pull back? And just hang there? Look, they're not even in the middle of pulling back or anything, because you can see they literally wait right in that position for kratos to swing on. What, was Poseidon actively helping Kratos win here? Why would this happen? I don't understand why this would occur for any reason.

3: 32: I will admit....that is fucking awesome.

3:42: Okay, here I will admit I'm diving into the realm of nitpicking, and it might not even be fore anything because there was a sequence skipped, but why can't Poseidon fight? All I ever hurt were rocks, water crab tentacles, and his body was physically connected to none of it. I hope we actually get to fight him normal sized, as boss fights are typically best when they're fought on even ground.

Conclusion: The boss fight looks stupid as fuck. They keep trying to make it as stupidly epic as possible that they neglect gameplay. In the end, Poseidon looks like he's never even trying, and the boss battle ends up being stupidly easy because posiedon ends up making openings that should never happen. The best boss fights, I feel, are the ones where both opponents are throwing everything they have at each other, both in the story sense and the gameplay, where it truly feels that you are fighting someone that really wants you dead. Nevermind bosses, the one enemies I ever felt that were truly giving it all were the satyrs. I realize that god of war is more about Scale and adventure than it is about the action and gameplay, and I'm honestly trying not to rain on anyone's parade, but it just amazes me that people can have SUCH a hard on for what is, given what we've seen so far, probably going to be a very weak boss fight.

And for the record, of what we've seen, Helios and Kronos were even worse.
what do you think of ME/ME2 final bosses including the possibility of pausing the action with Rb and pointing to whatever enemy , choose whatever power while he is magically 'frozen'¿?

Nome

Here's something to consider about gore in HD:

Wouldn't it look weird if everything was detailed EXCEPT the gore?
Cutting a Mino's stomach open in HD would look pretty weird if there wasn't anything spilling out :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Casval said:
Here's something to consider about gore in HD:

Wouldn't it look weird if everything was detailed EXCEPT the gore?
Cutting a Mino's stomach open in HD would look pretty weird if there wasn't anything spilling out :lol
No. Not really.

LM4sure

Banned
Are there going to be tits in this game because I didn't like playing the last two games in front of my parents with tits all over the place!

LM4sure said:
Are there going to be tits in this game because I didn't like playing the last two games in front of my parents with tits all over the place!
Are you old enough to be playing M rated games
in front of your parents
?

Gattsu25 said:
No. Not really.

How would it not be weird? We expect everything from last gen to be more detailed now. So why should gore be an exception? When you think of GoW's visuals you think of two things, its scale and its gore. If Kratos ripped off the head of Helios and it popped off like Sub Zero's fatality in MK it would look laughable.

Nome

Gattsu25 said:
No. Not really.

It only looks normal if you have no clue what the innards of living things look like :lol

I know every time I play something like UT and see big chunks of gibs, I laugh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Generic said:
First off, I don't see why it can't have a complex system AND be accessible. Bayonetta has proven it's possible. Very complex system, you can beat it 1 handed on the easiest difficulty and it has a difficulty that can tear your ass to shreds, but you can still truly master it.

Second, I wasn't even saying GoW was bad in that post. I even praised them for evolving it further by giving us accessible weapons! What the hell do you want from me? Am I suppose to be sucking GoW's balls with every post I make like everyone else was doing, with no critiques over anything it does because it is so fucking perfect in your eyes? Someone responded to my comments, so I responded back, because they were incorrectly thinking that I just wanted a whole new system, when I do not. Is that so wrong?

Third...really? Even now? Are you so fixated on defending a game you happen to like that you still, after 2 fucking pages, cannot comprehend that I am not judging the whole game, not even wholly judging that boss fight, but just on what was shown? Have you not heard me repeat that GoW bosses do not change their attack patterns on different difficulties, so unless they changed something, which we have to assume they didn't because they never said anything, so what we see in that video about how Poseidon lacks aggression is going to stay, whether I have the final game or not? Are you really so blind?

Ugh. I'm done. It's 3 am, and I need to get some sleep. Maybe more reasonable people will be up later. I probably shouldn't have even replied to you.

Are you really surprised by the responses you've been received when you end your first post with this?

"Conclusion: The boss fight looks stupid as fuck. They keep trying to make it as stupidly epic as possible that they neglect gameplay. In the end, Poseidon looks like he's never even trying, and the boss battle ends up being stupidly easy because posiedon ends up making openings that should never happen.... I'm honestly trying not to rain on anyone's parade, but it just amazes me that people can have SUCH a hard on for what is, given what we've seen so far, probably going to be a very weak boss fight."

You end up sounding like a completely shameless action game elitist. It looks incredibly close minded and unapproachable despite you proclaiming that you're opening yourself up for civil discussion. I love DMC, NG, Bayonetta, Godhand, *insert gruelingly difficult Japanese game here*. Love em and can't get enough. But can still appreciate what the boss fights in GoW accomplish

While GoW shares similarities with action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and Bayonetta, it takes a fundamentally different approach. It's not weaker. It's a conscientious choice on the part of the developers to make patterned bosses. This is why it's easier for people, who don't have the reflexes or time to devote to mastering a combat system, to enjoy GoW. They can still recognize the patterns. Bayonetta has that one-button-win option, but that doesn't really help you learn patterns or make strategies. Accessible? Sure. Equally useless, I'd say.

One of your previous examples, Vergil, also follows a pattern to the point where you can anticipate his every move. The difference here is that Vergil has such a robust moveset that it doesn't seem that way at first glance. DMC3 is one of my favorite games of all time. Vergil (all encounters considered) is probably the best designed boss fight I have had the pleasure of beating. But the reason people enjoy fighting and destroying the bosses in GoW is very different from the reason people enjoy dueling Vergil in DMC.

You are, as you've stated, making assertions about a single tiny fight out of the entire game. Not only this, but the very first fight in the game. The first fight is ALWAYS more spectacle than strategy. That's to be expected. You recognize this, yet you use this as a launching pad to criticize the series as a whole, questioning the very logic its fans use to love it... in its pseudo-official thread. You opened yourself up there.

BeeDog

Rez said:
skip this post if you couldn't care less about shitty sniping between forum members.

This is the second time I've been called out for this in a GoW3 thread, when I myself have confessed to both being a massive GoW fan and on media blackout. Hell, I'm guilty of more than one one-sentence 'SO GOOD' posts myself. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, it's just nice to have some discourse in a thread as well as love.

I think people automatically think I'm putting them down I mention 'GIFS and GIFS', 'fanboys' or 'one sentence farts', but it's not so much me being condescending to everyone else as it is me trying to encourage the few who are actually putting some effort into their posts when everyone else is trying to shut them down. I know I try to put some effort in when I have something interesting to say, else I just post 'looks so fucking amazing' like everyone else.

I hate that I have to waste thread space typing this out. I'm sorry to anyone who couldn't care less about why I post in this thread, which is to say, everyone but the select few who keep taking cheap shots at me. If you need me I'll be up on my cross.

You are a good poster with valid criticism in most cases (or criticisms I understand but don't agree with), but you have a habit of dropping into topics and backing up posters that clearly seem to upset the other posters in the topic (e.g. GhaleonQ in the Heavy Rain recently, and Generic in this topic). It has happened quite a few times, and I bet most people refer to that when they want to reprimand you. No offense man. :p

Withnail

LM4sure said:

So they're not bothered by the gratuitous violence and gore, just the tits? :lol

Top Bottom