• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

Firewire

Banned
theignoramus said:
***fuck, why cant PD use this technique. wander if its at all possible to use in a CPU-intensive game like GT5.

I don't think the visual upgrade would be very appealing in GT. GT is crisp and clean, using this technique would seem to effect that in GT5.

Hey but if we give Kaz another year or two I'm sure he can make it work wonders. :/

lunlunqq

Firewire said:
I don't think the visual upgrade would be very appealing in GT. GT is crisp and clean, using this technique would seem to effect that in GT5.

Hey but if we give Kaz another year or two I'm sure he can make it work wonders. :/

NOOOO!!!! no nonononononooooo.... you DON't say that... you don't... don't give him any ideas....

TTP said:
You know what's funny? With all this talk about moving processes from the RSX to the Cell and looking at the amazing results, it looks like the RSX is being used like a simple video output card :lol

It's odd. The less you use the RSX the more amazing the games look.

Power of Cell indeed :p

... what?

RSX is ALWAYS used. They just unload some parts of the processing to Cell, which, in most cases, runs idle if you don't push it with tasks like this. The reason why Cell is being pushed so hard this time is because it was much easier to push RSX A LOT in the early days because of it's known architecture.

RSX is, basically, G70. Don't underestimate it, it was quite powerful GPU for it's time and it's quite usable today, as well.

Cell is being used as a supercharger, since it does some stuff exceptionally well, but supercharger is of no use if you don't have an engine.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Raist said:
You know, it really looks like it went from a blurry mess (I'm obviously not talking about the actual motion blur, check the titan close-up comparison for instance) to super-detailed, high contrast picture quality from the demo to the final version.
I'm actually wondering whether this whole improvement is due to the replacement of "traditional AA" (maybe they used quincux before and IIRC while a decent AA method it caused an overall bluriness in the image) by MLAA.
If that's the case, everyone should use that STAT.
MLAA still takes a significant amount of processor time. Its not like its anywhere close to free.

MLAA is a very simple algorithm that obviously produces wonderful results, but you need a ton of free CPU time to run it as it goes over the entire frame buffer multiple times to do edge detection and blending.

TTP said:
You know what's funny? With all this talk about moving processes from the RSX to the Cell and looking at the amazing results, it looks like the RSX is being used like a simple video output card :lol

I know what you mean. I remember a lot of 1st party developers mention the RSX as a shading monster, and it seems that's how they use it. Everything advanced like KZ2 post-processing filters etc. fits nicely on the SPUs.

Firewire said:
You think this new technique can work in GT, without loosing its crisp clean look?

I think it would be amazing. It's not like quincunx that blurs the entire image.

Since it's a post process it can also perhaps finally rid GT of the nasty shader edges that look so awful on some of the internal car seams.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lagspike_exe said:
... what?

RSX is ALWAYS used. They just unload some parts of the processing to Cell, which, in most cases, runs idle if you don't push it with tasks like this. The reason why Cell is being pushed so hard this time is because it was much easier to push RSX A LOT in the early days because of it's known architecture.

RSX is, basically, G70. Don't underestimate it, it was quite powerful GPU for it's time and it's quite usable today, as well.

Cell is being used as a supercharger, since it does some stuff exceptionally well, but supercharger is of no use if you don't have an engine.

I was just exaggerating a bit ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Firewire said:
You think this new technique can work in GT, without loosing its crisp clean look?

If by "crisp clean look" you mean jaggies and flickering then I'd be very happy if GT5 loses that. :p

I wonder what the effects are on games that have high extreme colorful contrast like Uncharted 2 and Gran Turismo 5. Apparently that is one of the variables that MLAA does not favor.

Kasra_2x4

ULTROS! said:
Looks like CGI. Damn

In these pics, for some strange reason, I like the demo part more:

Lighting2_Demo.jpg.jpg

Lighting2_Final.jpg.jpg
damn good

Lathentar said:
MLAA still takes a significant amount of processor time. Its not like its anywhere close to free.

MLAA is a very simple algorithm that obviously produces wonderful results, but you need a ton of free CPU time to run it as it goes over the entire frame buffer multiple times to do edge detection and blending.
What makes you think GoW3s CPU budget is significantly less than that of other, comparable action games?

Firewire: My thinking is that if GT5 is using 4xMSAA on the RSX with screen tear and fps drops, the engine performance (and by extension, the driving experience) could be improved if they had more GPU time on the RSX.

LosDaddie

Banned
Firewire said:
Bullshit! He went with that "Its worse than RROD" pretty hard.

I took his (and all the similar posts) in jest, which I thought was clear. But it's not worth a debate since sarcasm can be difficult to detect on the 'net.

Back On Topic: What I like most about the "Demo" and "Final" pictures is how everything is brighter & more vivid. Yes, the more-detail textures are great, but that means nothing if you can't see them.

The game is looking amazing.

theignoramus said:
What makes you think GoW3s CPU budget is significantly less than that of other, comparable action games?

Firewire: My thinking is that if GT5 is using 4xMSAA on the RSX with screen tear and fps drops, the engine performance (and by extension, the driving experience) could be improved if they had more GPU time on the RSX.

Don't forget, GT5 uses two layers of AA to boot.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lagspike_exe said:
I advise getting a new TV.

Another one? :lol

I've got a top of the line 1080p Bravia.

Do you want GT5 to actually look like it does in those fancy trailers or not? Cos currently, IQ wise, it's not quite there yet due to its "crisp look" as people call it.

ULTROS! said:
Looks like CGI. Damn

In these pics, for some strange reason, I like the demo part more:

Lighting2_Demo.jpg.jpg

demo showed some nice shadow, but there's some weird glow everywhere. even one of the flag is glowing. the final version feel more right to me.

TTP said:

Do you want GT5 to actually look like it does in those fancy trailers or not? Cos currently, IQ wise, it's not quite there yet due to its "crisp look" as people call it.

Trailer IQ? :lol

Of course I want, but that's not really possible with current gen hardware.

Looks like the demo was missing a ambient occlusion pass, HDR lighting and color correction. It just looks so godly now. I can not wait to pick this up.

TTP said:

Those Bravias are pretty sweet. I've got one myself XBR4. :)

LiquidMetal14 said:
Demo vs final............hmmmmmmmmmm

Exactly why I asked for impressions from people with retail copies.

Callibretto said:
demo showed some nice shadow, but there's some weird glow everywhere. even one of the flag is glowing. the final version feel more right to me.

That's awesome! The demo had a lot of shadows and darkness in places -- it made it hard to tell which way I was going -- I thought I was playing God of War 3: Diablo edition for a minute there.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Cor, you know when you play an NES game like Megaman for the first time, and it uses some fuck-off big sprites and it blows your mind? That's what God of War 3 is like, but with polygons.

Looks so amazing.

Raist

Banned
Lathentar said:

Where exactly did I say it was free?
Anyway, it's obvious that it isn't too taxing on the hardware, especially if they spread that on multiple SPUs. I don't think the game would look as good with such as scale if it was a resource sink.

corrosivefrost said:
That's awesome! The demo had a lot of shadows and darkness in places -- it made it hard to tell which way I was going -- I thought I was playing God of War 3: Diablo edition for a minute there.

Do you have full rgb turned on?

corrosivefrost said:
Exactly why I asked for impressions from people with retail copies.

Final version is for the best; black crush, it's the bane of many people's TV, notably LCD, especially the uncalibrated kinds.

DMPrince said:
the MLAA technique doesn't mess with the HUD like Saboteur?

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/gow3-is-using-a-new-aa-tech-em/1027898?page=10

"Christer our Director of Technology tweeted this about MLAA, hope it answers your questions: There's a paper that describes the MLAA algorithm, and the Saboteur effect is probably only a subset of the technique described. AFAIK the version used on GoW3 goes beyond the original paper. The #gow3 AA technique saved 5ms from the GPU, costs ~20ms on 5 SPU's (~4ms Latency), its very pretty and only on #ps3."

J-Rzez

Lagspike_exe said:
... what?

Krazy Ken has been redeemed for sure. Time to get him aboard for the PS4, where it runs off the souls of runaway children.

I do remember them saying at one point they wanted to run dual-cell processors, instead of CPU/SPU. That would have been interesting to say the least, but they said it was just too complicated for developers (I assume they meant 3rd party).

That's the nice thing about Sony 1st party though, this technique will be whored around by all of them now, just it'll be refined each time.

TTP said:

Wasn't the PS3 originally intended to have 2 cell processors but developers were against it because they wanted the typical CPU + GPU setup. I really want to know what that PS3 would have been capable of.

Raist said:
Where exactly did I say it was free?
I didnt get his implication either. If anything, PS3 first party games would have less free CPU time because they use the SPUs more extensively than conventional, Xbox-centric multiplat games. I see no reason why this technique shouldnt be considered a practical solution to third party PS3 devs inclined to ship games with no AA or QAA.

J-Rzez

electroshockwave said:
Wasn't the PS3 originally intended to have 2 cell processors but developers were against it because they wanted the typical CPU + GPU setup. I really want to know what that PS3 would have been capable of.

Yep, that's what I posted one minute before you :p

I'm curious how that would have turned out. It would have been a mess from the get go though, most likely.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
electroshockwave said:

Launching at 699 US dollars, for one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
J-Rzez said:
Yep, that's what I posted one minute before you :p

I'm curious how that would have turned out. It would have been a mess from the get go though, most likely.
Would have made multi-platform development even more difficult.

electroshockwave said:

As far as I remember, that was just a wild running rumor. I think there was a quote from SONY stating that it was never an actual plan at all. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong though. It's been a few years...

depths20XX

Will definetly be buying this but I do not see it surpassing Bayonetta as far as action games go.

None of the reviews really mention any content or unlockables to work for after completing the game. The combat also feels really stale after playing much better action games. I guess GoW games are mainly for the atmosphere or something though.

tzare

depths20XX said:
Will definetly be buying this but I do not see it surpassing Bayonetta as far as action games go.

None of the reviews really mention any content or unlockables to work for after completing the game. The combat also feels really stale after playing much better action games. I guess GoW games are mainly for the atmosphere or something though.
it is a different game, a different approach, nor better or worse than bayonetta gameplay wise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Trailblaster said:
How much you want to bet that GG uses MLAA in Killzone3 and not Quincunx AA

It's a certainty, even before SSM began experimenting with the method. In GG's GDC presentation on deferred rendering, "more efficient AA" (or words to that effect) was on the planned feature list. Considering they used QAA in favour of 2xMSAA, and 4xMSAA would likely have too much a performance cost associated with it, MLAA is about the only route to go.

ULTROS! said:

The final version makes much more sense as far as lighting in concerned considering there's a bloody SUN GOD flying around nearby.

BruceWayneIII said:
I know what you mean. I remember a lot of 1st party developers mention the RSX as a shading monster, and it seems that's how they use it. Everything advanced like KZ2 post-processing filters etc. fits nicely on the SPUs.

The RSX has all but been relegated to shading and pushing polygons at this point.

Top Bottom