• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

J-Rzez

dark10x said:
Would have made multi-platform development even more difficult.

I think you probably mean, "non-existent" :lol

They couldn't grasp this set up, and some devs to this day still can't make close ports.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, this game is looking incredible now. I was not impressed at all back when the demo came out. This looks great!

electroshockwave said:
Wasn't the PS3 originally intended to have 2 cell processors but developers were against it because they wanted the typical CPU + GPU setup. I really want to know what that PS3 would have been capable of.

NO,No,No,No..will this stupid rumor never die?

The PS3 was NEVER going to have just two Cells. The Ideal was tossed around in the initial planing stages before cell was even finalized. This stupid two Cell PS3 rumor has been repeated so many times it's just become internet fact. Before going with NVIDIA, RSX was to be a internally developed GPU simular to what SONY did with the PS2. They went with NVIDIA because they could they could make a better GPU then Sony and for ease of development.

I die a little inside when ever the 2 Cell thing is discussed like it's fact.

cgcg

theignoramus said:
I didnt get his implication either. If anything, PS3 first party games would have less free CPU time because they use the SPUs more extensively than conventional, Xbox-centric multiplat games. I see no reason why this technique shouldnt be considered a practical solution to third party PS3 devs inclined to ship games with no AA or QAA.

Oh please a lot of them are so damn lazy they don't even bother re-encode their fmvs for the PS3 version. Do you really think they'll bother with this?

Trailblaster said:
NO,No,No,No..will this stupid rumor never die?

The PS3 was NEVER going to have just two Cells. The Ideal was tossed around in the initial planing stages before cell was even finalized. This stupid two Cell PS3 rumor has been repeated so many times it's just become internet fact. Before going with NVIDIA, RSX was to be a internally developed GPU simular to what SONY did with the PS2. They went with NVIDIA because they could they could make a better GPU then Sony and for ease of development.

I die a little inside when ever the 2 Cell thing is discussed like it's fact.

For those interested: 2008 demo of real time ray-tracing millions of polygons running on IBM QS21 (two standard PS3 Cell processors).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZnbMWy9A0Y

cgcg said:
Oh please a lot of them are so damn lazy they don't even bother re-encode their fmvs for the PS3 version. Do you really think they'll bother with this?
Some developers are serious about cross platform parity.

A.R.K

Unfuckingbelievable transformation from demo to final build. This game shits all over MW2 in visuals and MW2 looks much much inferoir to this master piece but still got a 10 in visuals. Bravo IGN, you morons.

RavenFox

Banned
theignoramus said:
Some developers are serious about cross platform parity.
To serious if you ask me.
A.R.K said:
Unfuckingbelievable transformation from demo to final build. This game shits all over MW2 in visuals and MW2 looks much much inferoir to this master piece but still got a 10 in visuals. Bravo IGN, you morons.
IGN needs to correct that score. Yes I know your reading this thread.

dolgrimm

Neo Member
A.R.K said:

:lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Friend of mine just txt'd me and told me that it states in the game's manual that trophies are disabled whenever you are wearing a costume. Can someone confirm?

If so, then so much for getting through Titan mode and platinuming this....:lol

Firewire

Banned
A.R.K said:

Well its probably the same guys that said MW2 looks better than Killzone 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JaseC said:
The RSX has all but been relegated to shading and pushing polygons at this point.

that's all it SHOULD do if they can help it :lol

isn't it particularly good at pixel shading operations but kinda assy at fillrate?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lathentar said:
MLAA still takes a significant amount of processor time. Its not like its anywhere close to free.

MLAA is a very simple algorithm that obviously produces wonderful results, but you need a ton of free CPU time to run it as it goes over the entire frame buffer multiple times to do edge detection and blending.
It doesn't need a ton of CPU time, it needs a CPU that's well suited for the required task.Their MLAA implementation works almost 2x as fast as just the 2xMSAA does on PS3, and I think it has a pretty small CPU performance hit too. If it didn't, I'm sure they'd never implement it in the first place, but even if it does, you have to remember how easily underutilized CPU in ps3 l can be. I don't think any developer would have much of a problem finding free cpu time on it to implement this.

ZeroRay

Firewire said:

Well to be fair, it was one of the IGN XBOX guys that reviewed MW2. IGN PS3 has higher standards obviously. :lol

A.R.K

Firewire said:

as expected ... PS3 exclusive and all that shit ...

look I don't care if GOW gets a 9.0 or fucking 8.0 in visuals...I just want them assholes to be consistent and fair...but I guess thats too much to ask from some of those assholes

GatorBait

A little off-topic, but I thought this was interesting concerning GoW game length, and would like to know if anyone has an explanation of it:

I beat GoW1 for the second time on Sunday afternoon. I went back into my save file last night to check how long my play time was so that I could compare it to what my end time will be in GoW2. I had one save at the final save point before you fight Ares, and another save point in Olympus right before the end of the game.

My pre-Ares fight save said it was at 8:54 play time and was saved at 15:17pm. My Olympus save said it was at 9:07 play time and was saved at 15:59pm. I played all the way through the end of the game without turning the system off. I died a handful of times against the Kratos clones and a few times against the final Ares fight. I know for a fact that the three final boss fights took me longer than the 13 minutes of play time that the save files indicate. In fact, the 42 minutes elapsed according to the clock times seems much more accurate.

Anyone know what's up with this?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GatorBait said:
A little off-topic, but I thought this was interesting concerning GoW game length, and would like to know if anyone has an explanation of it:

I beat GoW1 for the second time on Sunday afternoon. I went back into my save file last night to check how long my play time was so that I could compare it to what my end time will be in GoW2. I had one save at the final save point before you fight Ares, and another save point in Olympus right before the end of the game.

My pre-Ares fight save said it was at 8:54 play time and was saved at 15:17pm. My Olympus save said it was at 9:07 play time and was saved at 15:59pm. I played all the way through the end of the game without turning the system off. I died a handful of times against the Kratos clones and a few times against the final Ares fight. I know for a fact that the three final boss fights took me longer than the 13 minutes of play time that the save files indicate. In fact, the 42 minutes elapsed according to the clock times seems much more accurate.

Anyone know what's up with this?

If you die and restart, it might not count that as play time. Similarly, it might not count cutscenes as play time. Every game handles that differently.

Dogenzaka

Banned
A.R.K said:

look I don't care if GOW gets a 9.0 or fucking 8.0 in visuals...I just want them assholes to be consistent and fair...but I guess thats too much to ask from some of those assholes

It's too much to ask because they get a bunch of different people to review the different console's games, which results in an extreme lack of consistency.

Unfortunately, the masses just look at the numerical score and judge whether one game is better than another based on that alone.

This is why I find it to be stupid to look at IGN or GameSpot's reviews. GameTrailers' are okay because they seem to discuss and really think about their decisions before they post their reviews, but they still seem pretty harsh on PS3 games.

Lince

Banned
wait MW2 got a 10 for graphics? that was either a money hat, a blind reviewer or just a controversial opinion, move on.

money hats is the answer

better GFX than Killzone 2... who was this guy btw? one of the MAG-mocking video retards?

Tom Penny

A.R.K said:

Apples to oranges.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
SolidSnakex said:
Sessler's Soapbox on GoW3

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...I-Set-a-New-Standard-for-Pacing-in-Games.html

He says that the game has such good pacing that he thought it was really short. And then he realized that he'd been playing it for 12+ hours.

As far as spoilers go, it has the demo level (or at least the section from the demo) playing behind Sessler and some flashes of the trailer they released last month.

Cannot wait to watch this as well.

Dogenzaka said:
It's too much to ask because they get a bunch of different people to review the different console's games, which results in an extreme lack of consistency.

Unfortunately, the masses just look at the numerical score and judge whether one game is better than another based on that alone.

This is why I find it to be stupid to look at IGN or GameSpot's reviews. GameTrailers' are okay because they seem to discuss and really think about their decisions before they post their reviews, but they still seem pretty harsh on PS3 games.

We all should just ignore those websites and watch x-play.

Firewire

Banned
A.R.K said:

Don't really give a crap honestly. Just ignore all that shit for what it is.

Firewire

Banned
Lince said:
wait MW2 got a 10 for graphics? that was either a money hat, a blind reviewer or just a controversial opinion, move on.

money hats is the answer

better GFX than Killzone 2... who was this guy btw? one of the MAG-mocking video retards?

I don't really know if it was the same guys, but it's obvious that there are people that truly believe it is better. Like I said it's best to ignore it, then it means nothing to you.

obaidr

Banned
A.R.K said:

well wasnt KZ2 already looking about one gen, better then MW2?? Never heard MW2 getting praised for its graphics.

A.R.K

Tom Penny said:
Apples to oranges.
Why am I not surprised to see our beloved troll saying that. Thanks for your input

Anyways, not sure if this was posted:

tweet from Mr. Kevin Butler

TheKevinButler: I’m not allowed to tell u to watch the PS blog tomorrow. So don’t. (Meaning do) RT @Dann954: You need to do a GoW3 commercial badd (3/8/2010)

GOW Butler ad on PSblog today sometime. Can't wait!! :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
So Sessler clocked in over 12 hours on his playthrough? That really soothes my worries about game length. Looks like it'll last as long as GoW2 for me. :)

Their review was great. I had to shut my eyes at some parts which looked like they were exposing some magnificent parts of the game, but listening to Sessler rant about the game's show-stopping presentation was something good to hear.

Cerberus

SolidSnakex said:
Sessler's Soapbox on GoW3

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...I-Set-a-New-Standard-for-Pacing-in-Games.html

He says that the game has such good pacing that he thought it was really short. And then he realized that he'd been playing it for 12+ hours.

As far as spoilers go, it has the demo level (or at least the section from the demo) playing behind Sessler and some flashes of the trailer they released last month.

"Good replayability comes from a good game."

Totally agree with Sessler here. A game doesn't need multiplayer to increase its replay value. As long as it's a great game, people will always come back to experience it again. I know I do.

Tom Penny said:
Apples to oranges.
Apples to Oranges, huh. So a casual PS3 owner walks into a store and looks at MW2 and GoW 3. The box of MW2 has 10 for graphics and 9.5 overall, whereas the GoW 3 has 9.5 for graphics and 9.3 overall. Which game does Mr. Casual PS3 user think looks better and plays better, the one will he end up buying? How do you like dem Apples?

Nizz

Game is looking phenomenal. Such a difference from the demo. Motion blur makes the game look sooo good. To think the framerate is better and they added motion blur is pretty crazy.

I know GoW3 isn't locked to 30fps, but I wish more 30fps games would add motion blur. Gives everything a smoother, more realistic look. Such a shame that some third party games feature motion blur in 360 games but for some reason or other don't include it in the PS3 version.

neojubei

Firewire said:
I don't really know if it was the same guys, but it's obvious that there are people that truly believe it is better. Like I said it's best to ignore it, then it means nothing to you.

Exactly how I feel. I still think there is a bias in the industry however not much to do about it than ignore most of those gaming sites. I rather read some of the reviews from the G4/x-play guys.

GuardianE said:
Hmm, the fact that they wrote "peace" instead of "piece" makes the grammar nazi in me cringe. I'll check it out later.
I honestly never watched any HHG podcast before in my life, and never even been to his website until now. Right now it looks like he's the only guy who is truly representing gamers by arguing against GS and IGN. His language and professionalism are way below standard, but that's how the dude keeps it real. He's a one man show with no staff, no crew. Consider me his fan now.

Nizz

RustyNails said:
I honestly never watched any HHG podcast before in my life, and never even been to his website until now. Right now it looks like he's the only guy who is truly representing gamers by arguing against GS and IGN. His language and professionalism are way below standard, but that's how the dude keeps it real. He's a one man show with no staff, no crew. Consider me his fan now.
The fact you hear the track of one of the most perfect songs in hip-hop (Shook Ones) in the background is +1 to me. ;)

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Friend of mine just txt'd me and told me that it states in the game's manual that trophies are disabled whenever you are wearing a costume. Can someone confirm?

If so, then so much for getting through Titan mode and platinuming this....:lol
Trophies are disabled in subsequent playthroughs in the same difficulty, according to another poster (don't remember who, sorry). I don't think it's disabled just from using a costume.

neojubei

RustyNails said:

Now I really want to listen to this guy. I try and stay away from IGN/GS, but sometimes i want to know what they think of a game. Good to see HHG calling them out on things. I stay as far away as I can from gametrailers.

Top Bottom