• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Yea, they should make it a standard already, like trophies. Even across the same company there is inconsistency: SFIV had awesome inner artwork, yet Resident Evil 5 (which came out a month later) had nothing. Same with MGS4 and Modern Warfare 2. It's really crazy when a smaller company like Atlus or Tecmo does it yet some of the biggest games on the system do not.

I imagine that some of it is has to do with them simply forgetting it's an option at all... especially with multiconsole releases. It's a new development that they would have to consciously recall and create specifically for one console. Street Fighter IV had a pretty big art contest to promote itself that led to varying inner artwork with different editions, so it's sort of an anomaly.

thelastword

Banned
badcrumble said:
Watch us get RE4 HD... with the PS2 assets :lol
Well, it would be the PS2 Game they'd be porting, but who knows, future releases of this kind could get some extra touch up to the textures, lighting etc...

Funny that you mentioned this, I wonder how many people here would want RE4 redone. After Playing RE5, I wouldn't mind a remake to be honest.

Anyways, still awaiting my copy of the GOW collection....

badcrumble said:
This was originally proposed as a pack-in for a special edition. It's cheap to convert PS2 games.

The conversion staff consists of just six people. It's easy to convert PS2 games.

It took about eight weeks to do it. It's quick to convert PS2 games.

It's bargain priced, contains two platinums, and you get almost every single trophy just by completing the games. Sony's going to make a mint on this, and they're going to have the data points they need to sell this process to third parties.

Expect ICO/SotC next, and third party compilations (very possibly Silent Hill, MGS, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, FFXII, FFX/X-2, and others) starting maybe a year after that. My guess is that converting PS2 games is pretty much printing money - just like FFVII to PSN was.

Because of a lot of the stuff the God of War 1/2 engine pulls off, SamBishop seems to think that this could be a sign that a more universal form of emulation could still be on its way... I really, really hope so (even though it'd just be running at upscaled 480i/p for basic emulation, I'm sure, that's the same as the 60GB right now), but I think these port-conversions with HD graphics and Trophies might be so profitable that Sony might prefer to go exclusively down this road. Time will tell.
Everybody wins! :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I would do terrible things to get Devil May Cry 3 in HD.

All the sweeter if it were the trilogy (or if they intentionally omitted part 2).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shagg_187 said:
I swear I am hating the Canadian boxarts. It's SHIT! I thought it's Uncharted 2 with the shitty washed out colors but no. IT'S EVERY PS3 BOXART! EVERY FUCKING PS3 BOXART WITH NEW LOGO SUCKS ASS! I'm glad Modern Warfare 2 was in the old logo and had no french on it!!
Yeah, but UC2 was really the worst offender. They improved the quality of the paper ever so slightly afterwards, so that at least the color won't wipe off every time you pick up the box and hold it a bit firmer.

tanod said:
Also, the sound effects / music seem better mixed to me. Much crisper than I remember from playing the PS2 version.
Yeah, they are using much higher quality reverb processing for sound.

woot! UPS just delivered my copy from Amazon

edit: 1 hour impression. Looks and plays great! The difference in visuals between gameplay and cutscenes in GoW 1 is pretty drastic. Tapping R2 to open doors doesn't feel right either, too spongy on a DS3

If we don't get SOTC/ICO then I want my motherfucking money back, bitches!!

Oh and yes to the poster above. Tapping R2 gets hectic for DS3 (I think it made my R2 squeek :( I have other controllers with dead R2 button so this better not happen again!!).

cornerman

Darkness said:
Got my copy for $33. Cashier had her register set to employee discount and rang all my stuff up at a discounted price. I was wondering why everything was so cheap, but didn't look at the receipt till I got home. Oh well!

where'd you get it from?

shagg_187 said:
Oh and yes to the poster above. Tapping R2 gets hectic for DS3 (I think it made my R2 squeek :( I have other controllers with dead R2 button so this better not happen again!!).

I'm now tapping it towards the top of the button, closer to where the hinge is. There's less of a distance than if you're pressing it dead on

The beautiful gameplay graphics make the cutscenes look ugly, I can't get over it :*(

Oneself

dark10x said:
I'm not sure why people should be EXPECTING those games. It would be great, but they never saw huge success here and I feel as if porting them would actually be more difficult (particularly SotC). They would both benefit a LOT, though. Seeing ICO in a resolution higher than 640x240 would be great.

I guess ICO would actually be much more difficult to do since the game has been designed in 4:3 with pretty much fixed cameras ...

naib

Wow, GoW is an awesome game! The in-engine cut scenes are a little jarring, but I can get over that. I can't believe I missed this game!

Having never played the game before, I don't find the R2 to be much of an issue. I also have those real triggers though. Playing without them doesn't feel right anymore.

GhostSeed

Stupid quick question do all copies of this game come with the PSN God of War 3 demo voucher or is that only at certain retailers?

GhostSeed said:
Stupid quick question do all copies of this game come with the PSN God of War 3 demo voucher or is that only at certain retailers?
It's inside the case, so I assume it's for all copies.

Speaking of which, I've got a code to give away when I get home.

ACE 1991

naib said:
Wow, GoW is an awesome game! The in-engine cut scenes are a little jarring, but I can get over that. I can't believe I missed this game!

Having never played the game before, I don't find the R2 to be much of an issue. I also have those real triggers though. Playing without them doesn't feel right anymore.

My thoughts exactly, real triggers and all =P

One question though: Does setting the game to "full screen" in the god of war options menu cut off or stretch the image in any way?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm wondering if I should play on God Mode when I get the game. Since there's no trophy, I may not bother.

I remember when I first played God of War on God Difficulty, I kept playing the Sex Mini Game over and over because you'd still keep getting experience after each QTE. It was significantly less, but every little bit helped.

I remember that my buddy came over one day and asked me what the hell I was doing. I told him that I was going to squeeze every last red orb out of these bitches. :lol

rhino4evr

2&2 said:
Same here. I really like GoW I&II but it's pretty much the only reason I bought this.

I hope this isn't true. I mean you realize that there is a pretty slim chance it's going to happen. At least for now while Team Ico is working on Last Guardian.

ACE 1991 said:
My thoughts exactly, real triggers and all =P

One question though: Does setting the game to "full screen" in the god of war options menu cut off or stretch the image in any way?

Real Triggers, eh? I might have $5 to spare on them... did you guys glue them on, or just connect them normally?

The game is full screen already for me. When I choose that option, it kind of zooms in and cuts off about an inch on each edge for me. This is GoW1, I haven't touched GoW2 yet

GhostSeed

badcrumble said:
It's inside the case, so I assume it's for all copies.

Speaking of which, I've got a code to give away when I get home.

Is it on a seperate piece of of paper or is it in the instruction manual? A friend of mine picked it up but can't find the code.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
rhino4evr said:
I hope this isn't true. I mean you realize that there is a pretty slim chance it's going to happen. At least for now while Team Ico is working on Last Guardian.

they have said they were interested in doing a collection like this. They wouldn't be the ones to convert them anyways.

GhostSeed said:
Is it on a seperate piece of of paper or is it in the instruction manual? A friend of mine picked it up but can't find the code.

Separate piece of paper. When I first unwrapped the game, it was on top of the manual.

I'm still debating between this or Assassins Creed 2, I'll get them both eventually, but I'm not sure which I want to play first, I haven't played the GOW games yet either.

Toki767

Apocalyptatron said:
I'm still debating between this or Assassins Creed 2, I'll get them both eventually, but I'm not sure which I want to play first, I haven't played the GOW games yet either.
I'd say Assassin's Creed 2 is more likely to go on sale or a price drop before this, so get this first then wait for AC2 to be cheaper.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just played the demo last night and ho-ly shit that was epic. I nearly shat my pants when the fire ogre stepped over me and crushed all of those buildings. It had what was most definitely the most epic ending to a demo ever. I wasn't really thinking about getting the collection but now I'm gonna have to pick it up and replay it while waiting for the sequel.

TheExodu5

Banned
Snuggler said:
I just played the demo last night and ho-ly shit that was epic. I nearly shat my pants when the fire ogre stepped over me and crushed all of those buildings. It had what was most definitely the most epic ending to a demo ever. I wasn't really thinking about getting the collection but now I'm gonna have to pick it up and replay it while waiting for the sequel.

Isn't it Atlas?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got mine today from Amazon.
The voucher code was on a separate piece of paper, slotted into the case before/over the actual manual.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
We didn't have a proper introduction in the demo so I couldn't remember his name, but looks like that "fire ogre" is Atlas after a google search.
So awesome, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not sure if it's clear who the giant fire dude is, since Atlas had four arms in God of War 2... didn't he? One of Titans definitely had four arms and I thought it was Atlas.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
If anyone has a spare demo code, I'll take it.

I'm forcing myself to not buy this due to my excessive backlog, but man it's hard reading these impressions! Must... not... cave...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The demo that comes with this game's voucher is the same as the demo that we got for preordering GoW III from Amazon, correct?

naib

Gryphter said:
Real Triggers, eh? I might have $5 to spare on them... did you guys glue them on, or just connect them normally?
I just snapped mine on. Seems solid enough.

The right one has popped off once or twice. Not from normal use though. From sitting on them, etc.

badcrumble said:
The conversion staff consists of just six people. It's easy to convert PS2 games.

It took about eight weeks to do it. It's quick to convert PS2 games.

Are you an insider of any kind? Or do you just know how many people comprise Bluepoint?

It was specifically said that the collection took 15 weeks to develop (with some help from the original staff), but maybe you mean 7-8 weeks each. That said, I wonder whether they developed them at once or one after another.

dark10x said:
I'm not sure why people should be EXPECTING those games. It would be great, but they never saw huge success here and I feel as if porting them would actually be more difficult (particularly SotC). They would both benefit a LOT, though. Seeing ICO in a resolution higher than 640x240 would be great.

Why would it be all that hard? SotC had to pull some graphical tricks on PS2, but they wouldn't need to port those when the RSX can pull off the same effects in a more straightforward way for graphics programmers.

ACE 1991

Gryphter said:

The game is full screen already for me. When I choose that option, it kind of zooms in and cuts off about an inch on each edge for me. This is GoW1, I haven't touched GoW2 yet

Oh, okay. When I have full screen unselected there are thin black borders around the entire image, but those disappear once I select full screen.

DigiMish

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Yea, they should make it a standard already, like trophies. Even across the same company there is inconsistency: SFIV had awesome inner artwork, yet Resident Evil 5 (which came out a month later) had nothing. Same with MGS4 and Modern Warfare 2. It's really crazy when a smaller company like Atlus or Tecmo does it yet some of the biggest games on the system do not.

SFIV had awesome inner artwork because it was a fan art contest. 4 winners were decided: 1 for normal edition, 1 for special edition per system.

Teknoman

If SotC does get this treatment for pre-last guardian release, ICO should be packed in with it.

God of War 1 really looks good, Hydra battle was as impressive as ever.Going to play them in order.

rhino4evr said:

The same way Sony Santa Monica is working on God of War 3. Give it to Bluepoint games!

Oh and Kagari, no hardlocking so far. I did however glitched out of a level once when I got cornered by two Cyclops and it's hammer send me down to the abyss where Kratoes kept falling until everything turned dark and fell some more. 30 seconds later, he died! :lol

Someone please PM me a demo code for GOW 3!!! Please!!!! People gotta have two of those anyway. I will buy GOW collection eventually, but right now I'm broke. Plus Uncharted 2 is keeping me busy! :)

roman2003h said:
Someone please PM me a demo code for GOW 3!!! Please!!!! People gotta have two of those anyway. I will buy GOW collection eventually, but right now I'm broke. Plus Uncharted 2 is keeping me busy! :)

Lol. I'm sure people will give demo code to someone who registered in 2008 and has only 44 posts. That said, if you don't have $40 for GOW:Collection then I'm sure you have $5 to preorder GoW3.

Top Bottom