• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Got my copy for $33. Cashier had her register set to employee discount and rang all my stuff up at a discounted price. I was wondering why everything was so cheap, but didn't look at the receipt till I got home. Oh well!

Kaako said:
Canada with the ghetto version. :lol

I swear I am hating the Canadian boxarts. It's SHIT! I thought it's Uncharted 2 with the shitty washed out colors but no. IT'S EVERY PS3 BOXART! EVERY FUCKING PS3 BOXART WITH NEW LOGO SUCKS ASS! I'm glad Modern Warfare 2 was in the old logo and had no french on it!!

This is like having rose-tinted glasses applied to the game, it's awesome. It feels like this is how I remember it looking on my SDTV, then every time I see any of the prerendered stuff it's like BLEUGH GROSS. Good way to make it survive the next-gen new-standards thing.

crispyben

I ordered the God Of War Collection from VG+ (€36.71 with shipping to France), but a lot of people in this thread seem to have ordered it from AxelMusic, where it would have cost me €31.97. What's the consensus on this site? How fast is the delivery to Europe?

ravien56

There's been a couple games with some boxart in the interior....I completely forgot which games they were. I'll check when I get home. Maybe MW2,UC2 and Demons Souls?...

Oneself

I finally played up to Medusa in GOW and completed the first part of GOW2 ... and all I have to say is that IMO, it's still the king of the genre. So many awesome it hurts. And both games (especially GOW2) are still impressive ... even after OMG insane looking games like Uncharted 2 etc.

GOW3 will be hot if it can keep a steady frame rate... it looks soooooo good when the frame rate is high in the demo...
I'm not sure about all that MGS2-style button holding though...

SaitoH

Man, this game looks fantastic.

I know its been said many times, but please give ICO/Shadow of Colossus this same treatment.

AAK

enewtabie said:
at this point..I think that's a good possibility.

Depends on how ICO/SOTC were originally programmed.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1020686p1.html

IGN: So how difficult was it for you to move it over to the PS3? A lot of people wanted to see God of War go there, but also things like the Team ICO stuff and a lot of other classic PS2 games. How difficult was it to move the game over, and do you think that this would be something feasible for other studios to do?

John Hight: Well, that goes back to how games were developed in the first place. For us, it wasn't too difficult because, and I'll brag on our engineering team, but the code they developed is pretty straightforward, well-documented, we don't do a lot of assembler programming, it's all straight C… Some teams have developed their own scripting language or whatever that would then require a translation of that interpreter over to the PS3 - we don't do that, it's straight C, so it made that aspect a lot cleaner. Plus, the other thing is that we've had very little attrition in our engineering team in our history of this studio, so the guys that originally wrote the code for God of War 1 are right here. Some of them worked on the port, some of them were able to offer, "Oh yeah, this is what's going on here. This part of the code's important" or "Don't worry, that part of the code's not important, you can ignore that", so it made it go a lot smoother, to have those guys around.

I don't think it'd be too easy for ICO/SOTC considering how complex every thing to the basic animations panned out.

But I'd love to be pleasently surprised.... But only if they include these guys:

Griffon

discarded058qr.jpg

Monkey
discarded117ur.jpg

Bird
discarded179jr.jpg

Sirius
discarded181st.jpg

Spider
discarded251gj.jpg

Phoenix
unusedcolossus2dn4.jpg

Devil
discarded086yz.jpg

Worm
discarded154ap.jpg

EDIT:

These all came from the artbook.

naib

SaitoH said:
=^/[//img]

[spoiler]Canada :([/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Well that blows. Looks like y'all got the EA version.

[QUOTE=AAK]
edit: ARGH
[/QUOTE]
Yes please!

I was so disappointed to find that Aliens may never make it to blu-ray. Please work some magic.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
crispyben said:
I ordered the God Of War Collection from VG+ (€36.71 with shipping to France), but a lot of people in this thread seem to have ordered it from AxelMusic, where it would have cost me €31.97. What's the consensus on this site? How fast is the delivery to Europe?
I've gotten 4 packages from them now. To Germany.

Time ranges from: 6 days 2 hours to 14 days 12 hours. *

The last one in October took 6 days 2 hours.

* I'm not quite sure this time is correct, but that's what my tracking system says.

-PXG-

I just got to the Temple of Pandora. This game is fucking nuts. Gives "epic" a whole new meaning....well...not really....since both games have been out for a while.

Ranger X

Wait, what the fuck is this shit?

Just booted GOW1 and all the menus look stretched!! (the game seems to look fine but I am not sure). All the buttons are oval and the magic selector is too.

Normal? They cheaply put a menu stretched from 4:3 instead of a 16:9 one???

AAK

Ranger X said:
Wait, what the fuck is this shit?

Just booted GOW1 and all the menus look stretched!! (the game seems to look fine but I am not sure). All the buttons are oval and the magic selector is too.

Normal? They cheaply put a menu stretched from 4:3 instead of a 16:9 one???

Yeah, reviews already mentioned that.

Ranger X

AAK said:
Yeah, reviews already mentioned that.

Actually I just looked at the comparison screens again (opening post) and even the game is a little stretched.
How retarded are they for stretching the "almost 16:9" of the PS2 game into a standard 16:9 ratio? Couldn't they be smart and simply put some black around the borders at worse?

I HATE CHEAP JOBS. fuck you Sony.

Oneself

Ranger X said:
Actually I just looked at the comparison screens again (opening post) and even the game is a little stretched.
How retarded are they for stretching the "almost 16:9" of the PS2 game into a standard 16:9 ratio? Couldn't they be smart and simply put some black around the borders at worse?

I HATE CHEAP JOBS. fuck you Sony.

Dude, if you want the real ratio (in game, forget about the hud), just don't put it in full screen... keep it default.

And about the title and shit like that... it's probably too complicated for nothing since it's made in 2D...

Got the Collection this afternoon. I'm just on God of War 1 as of now, and at an annoying point where I don't know what to do.
This dude is holding a lever quite a bit away, and it is keeping the bridge from coming up.
I just don't know what to do. Besides that, I'm having a great time. :)

Paznos

Should I play the PSP version of God of War first or should I play the collection then the psp game? never played any GoW except for the psp demo and the demo of the first game.

AAK

Paznos said:
Should I play the PSP version of God of War first or should I play the collection then the psp game? never played any GoW except for the psp demo and the demo of the first game.

God of War collection first. Definitely.

unomas said:
Never played these titles before, are they worth picking up in this collection or is the port botched?

Is it botched? No, aside from a little stretching. Should you play them? Do you like adventure games? If so, then YES.

217498941_UNH3Z-L-2.jpg

LowParry

unomas said:
Never played these titles before, are they worth picking up in this collection or is the port botched?

Do you not read impressions and reviews?

....seriously. If you're slightly curious, buy the game. Don't question. Just do it.

tanod

when is my burrito
unomas said:

Dude! The port is amazing.

I got about a half hour into GoW 1 and it is looking really fine. The use of AA with the rope walls make you realize how big of a difference you can get with some basic graphic acceleration.

+Trophies

Awesome.

Also, the sound effects / music seem better mixed to me. Much crisper than I remember from playing the PS2 version.

unomas

Banned
Guess I'm picking this up, the GAF feedback seems unanimously positive minus a few small gripes here and there. Hopefully these titles will get me ready for God of War 3.

Cronox

Banned
I searched, but haven't read through the thread yet to confirm - does this port include the making-ofs and featurettes that GoW1 and GoW2 were packaged with?

tanod

when is my burrito
Cronox said:
I searched, but haven't read through the thread yet to confirm - does this port include the making-ofs and featurettes that GoW1 and GoW2 were packaged with?

Yep.

Ranger X

Oneself said:
Dude, if you want the real ratio (in game, forget about the hud), just don't put it in full screen... keep it default.

And about the title and shit like that... it's probably too complicated for nothing since it's made in 2D...

Nope, the ration is the same if full or non-full. It's only zoomed a bit when in full that's all.

Oneself

Ranger X said:
Nope, the ration is the same if full or non-full. It's only zoomed a bit when in full that's all.

Oh well...

Gotta live with it right?
Play God of War 2 and enjoy the best, most impressive game since ... err... Uncharted 2.

Half-way done with the first one. Stopped playing it for my eyes can't stand the awesomeness!

1. The new Santa Monica logo is awesome!!!! I love the fact that they used the "Linger With Shadows" intro. Tech demo not gone to waste!

2. My brother walked into the room watching me play and said "God of War 3???". I said "No. God of War: Collection." He said "OMG! Looks so good! Is this God of War 2?" and I said "No. God Of War 1" and he said "OMG!!!! Insane!!" :lol

3. Playing on hard. Worth it in hard!

4. Enjoying the XMB-less save-file loading. I hate the "Successfully loaded. Press O" that always shows up on PS3 so it was a good change to NOT see it.

5. At one point of the game I died and one of my friend signed out. Even the goddamn notification had a fading edge when I died! Mind fucking blown!!

crispyben

bandresen said:
I've gotten 4 packages from them now. To Germany.

Time ranges from: 6 days 2 hours to 14 days 12 hours. *

The last one in October took 6 days 2 hours.

* I'm not quite sure this time is correct, but that's what my tracking system says.
Thanks. So slightly cheaper, slightly slower than VG+, it depends where you put the cursor.

Spaulding

lastinline said:
Got the Collection this afternoon. I'm just on God of War 1 as of now, and at an annoying point where I don't know what to do.
This dude is holding a lever quite a bit away, and it is keeping the bridge from coming up.

It's been quite a long time when I played that game, but I'm pretty sure you can shoot that guy.

lastinline said:
While the game is linear, its not THAT linear. Try you know, looking around... I believe you can knock down a walk way and work back towards a bridge thats partially on fire (which you must have completely skipped). Head down that way :)

Spaulding said:
It's been quite a long time when I played that game, but I'm pretty sure you can shoot that guy.

Funny how you said "long time". It feels like a brand new game to me! :lol
That said, to lastinline: Backtrack. Go down the ladder where you came from, kill some baddies, get outta the room, go up and you'll know where to go.

Ranger X

Oneself said:
Oh well...

Gotta live with it right?
Play God of War 2 and enjoy the best, most impressive game since ... err... Uncharted 2.

Sure will live with it. I was just surprised at first.

This was originally proposed as a pack-in for a special edition. It's cheap to convert PS2 games.

The conversion staff consists of just six people. It's easy to convert PS2 games.

It took about eight weeks to do it. It's quick to convert PS2 games.

It's bargain priced, contains two platinums, and you get almost every single trophy just by completing the games. Sony's going to make a mint on this, and they're going to have the data points they need to sell this process to third parties.

Expect ICO/SotC next, and third party compilations (very possibly Silent Hill, MGS, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry, FFXII, FFX/X-2, and others) starting maybe a year after that. My guess is that converting PS2 games is pretty much printing money - just like FFVII to PSN was.

Because of a lot of the stuff the God of War 1/2 engine pulls off, SamBishop seems to think that this could be a sign that a more universal form of emulation could still be on its way... I really, really hope so (even though it'd just be running at upscaled 480i/p for basic emulation, I'm sure, that's the same as the 60GB right now), but I think these port-conversions with HD graphics and Trophies might be so profitable that Sony might prefer to go exclusively down this road. Time will tell.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ravien56 said:
There's been a couple games with some boxart in the interior....I completely forgot which games they were. I'll check when I get home. Maybe MW2,UC2 and Demons Souls?...

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I really think this should become the norm with PS3 games. It really makes it a nice difference.

GuardianE said:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I really think this should become the norm with PS3 games. It really makes it a nice difference.

Yea, they should make it a standard already, like trophies. Even across the same company there is inconsistency: SFIV had awesome inner artwork, yet Resident Evil 5 (which came out a month later) had nothing. Same with MGS4 and Modern Warfare 2. It's really crazy when a smaller company like Atlus or Tecmo does it yet some of the biggest games on the system do not.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
badcrumble said:
...but I think these port-conversions with HD graphics and Trophies might be so profitable that Sony might prefer to go exclusively down this road. Time will tell.

I would be pleased with this route.

Kintaro said:
I would be pleased with this route.
I would be too, AS LONG AS my favorite games make it over. Based on how the PS1 releases have gone with SCEA, I'm not THAT confident.

Watch us get RE4 HD... with the PS2 assets :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Expect ICO/SotC next, and third party compilations
I'm not sure why people should be EXPECTING those games. It would be great, but they never saw huge success here and I feel as if porting them would actually be more difficult (particularly SotC). They would both benefit a LOT, though. Seeing ICO in a resolution higher than 640x240 would be great.

Top Bottom